Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Big Shot: First Time Buyer

After seeing all the wonderful cards made with Big Shot Dies, I'm considering making the plunge on purchasing a Big Shot Plus w/starter kit. What die set can't you live without? What is your "go to" die that you gravitate towards when card making? I want "more bang for my buck." And will need to justify this purchase by using it :rolleyes:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

You might check out Jennifer Maguire's blog. She did a My favorite crafty things showing the dies she liked the most. It was a mix of words and shapes.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

It depends a lot on your own style. Personally I buy very few dies which match stamps because I quite enjoy fussy cutting. I think decorative border dies are always useful (Spellbinders have some great sets of curved ones with both cutting and embossing details). My first buys were ovals and circles for matting and layering, and I still use those a lot. From there I added scalloped and decorative-edged basic shapes, and only after that some of the shapes that are more stand-alone ~ birds, branches, etc. Memory Box Prim Poppies is a classic, I think. Tag and label shapes are great for sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new stitched frames dies. They can be used for nearly everything. The dies that I use most often, though, seem to be the ones that specifically match my favorite sets. Oh, and then there's the Love Notes dies with that awesome mini-envelope. I've kinda almost worn that one out

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My most used dies are rectangle. I love the look of the finished edge. I have stitched and dot and they are fantastic!!

I also love word dies, cant get enough of those. I have 4 or 5 different thank you dies and I use those all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not worry about not using your Big Shot. You will find plenty of dies - from shapes to words to borders to frames, from many different companies - to keep your BS busy. The investment in a die cut machine is the cheapest part of the die-cut adventure. You'll spend far more on the dies, and you won't have any trouble doing it.

I started with basic shape dies from Spellbinder. Squares and Rectangles in both large and small so I had every size. I've gone far beyond that at this point, but I still use my Spellbinder basic shapes constantly.

Go look at the Spellbinder website, the Cheery Lynn website, and the Memory Box website just for starters. I can't believe you won't come away with a wish list a yard long!

Welcome to die-cutting! Your new addiction/obsession!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay - here are my first Spellbinder purchases, all of which I use constantly:

Squares, Rectangles and Circles, Ovals, large and small. Lacy and/or scalloped of the aforementioned, which will give you the option of some nice layering.

I later on bought matting basics A&B. I use these all the time, the largest of the two sets cut beautiful card fronts.

After that it's all your taste. I'm a big fan of Memory Box, as I mentioned above.

And, you know, we have not even touched on embossing folders. Something else your Big Shot will allow you to play with. Another whole world. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cher I have a brand new Big Shot Plus still in the box I purchased 6 months ago. Interested?

Just want what I paid wholesale and the shipping to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi My name is Linda and I am a dieaholic. I suggest you check out Sue Wilson's dies or Tattered Lace dies. They are both in the UK so a bit costly but soooooooo pretty. You have the basics. Another hint is to check out **********, they are a die company in China, the cost is low but it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get them. I get on Amazon and type in whatever type of card I want to make like "Birthday" , "Halloween" or "Bicycle" and browse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Nesting Circle dies, You get about 20 in a package. My pack was American Crafts, but I think it's now WRMK. Michaels with % off coupon. I use them a lot.
I bought Lots of Spellbinders to start with. Circles, squares, rectangle, ovals, circle scallops, circle 'pinking', oval scallops, and LOTs of their Labels dies. I have found that my style has 'evolved' and I don't use the labels much, and the ovals appear Formal to me now.
I recently bought the Card Creator A & B sets and use them often. The embossed edge on all Spellbinders looks a little formal to me.
I bought My Favorite Things Fishtail flags sets in both sizes and use them a lot for sentiment banners.
I have LOTS of dies and use them on almost every card.
It just depends on the style of cards you like to make as to what you will use a lot.
MFT Blueprints sets have been useful, as well as stitched dies...circles, squares, rectangles. Many companies make fun dies: Lil Inker, Lawn Fawn, Concord & 9th. I also use word dies A LOT.
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a boat load of dies and I can't say that I have a favorite because it depends on what I'm making. My suggestion is buy things that you can't easily cut with a trimmer or scissors. I can easily cut rectangles and squares with my trimmer but I can't easily punch perfect holes for stitched look and I love the stitched dies. KWIM

If you have any punches, don't replace them with dies right away. Punches are faster.

Consider nesting sets of circles, ovals, etc. to make great layers.

I rarely buy dies that match stamp sets because I may tire of the stamps. Also, I'm not fond of the white space around the images so I have to fussy cut them anyway.

DO NOT buy a Precision Plate. Per Sizzix it's not to be used with the Plus. I use a metal plate for my intricate dies and it works great.

Something you might want to know - I use my smaller plates from my old BS 99.99% of the time because they are smaller. It's very rare that I need to use the big heavy plates. The Plus plates are heavy and take a lot of space because they are so long. When you can do it, consider buying a regular sized magnetic base and plates as I think you'll get a lot of use from them.

You're going to love the Plus - have fun!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Cher I have a brand new Big Shot Plus still in the box I purchased 6 months ago. Interested?

I sent you a PM - would like info if still available
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Big shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post

I sent you a PM - would like info if still available
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Am considering a BS as my original wizard and I seem to be having a difference of opinions!! I just found this new thread as I had checked Splitcoast for "sandwich" information. Found what I needed but they were 2008 posts. Point of the matter- Can we use % off coupons at Michaels, AC Moore etc? I never tried because I thought that "machines" were one of the exceptions. 2017 information on that appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh My! Where do I begin?!
I use my older model Big Shot" more than my Silhouette...I just really like it.

The first dies that I ever purchased were from Spellbinder.
As tomusefullness, I suppose that I use my Spellbinders Card Creator (A and B sets) rectangles, various "Stitched" shapes and a variety of "labels" and embossing folders the most...once you use your Big Shot you will see that this is a difficult question to answer!

I am sure that someone either already has - or will- tell you not to worry the first time you use your new Big Shot.....it makes an awful noise. I was surebthat I broken it....and atbthat time I did not know anyone else who had one to tell me that it was normal...
Reply With Quote Likes