Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Express

which seems to be out of stock everywhere...do you have to hold the power button down while your sandwich runs through, or do you hit it and it stops after it runs through? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I don't know about the new version at all - but on the old one, yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I don't know about the new version at all - but on the old one, yes.
I will hold off till the newer one comes out and see if it is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 981 Likes on 477 Posts

Has anyone heard when the Big Shot Express might be available again?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just in case someone is open to other brands, the Gemini and Gemini Junior don’t have a button when putting the sandwich through the machine. You just put the sandwich in the slot and let go. I have the Junior.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have the Gemini Junior on my short list but have read in a few places that the plates warp very easily and that you have to use tape to hold dies in place. (I really like my magnetic plate on my Big Shot…) Also, that it's loud.

What are you experiencing?

Last edited by fl_beachbum; 08-21-2018 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: added ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I have the Gemini Junior on my short list but have read in a few places that the plates warp very easily and that you have to use tape to hold dies in place. (I really like my magnetic plate on my Big Shot�) Also, that it's loud.

What are you experiencing?
Zero warping. But I'm very obedient, following the rule that's on multiple videos for the full sized Gemini: after every die cut, flip *and* rotate the plate. It took a while to get used to doing that, since I almost never did for my manual machine, and those plates look like ski jumps. But now it's second nature.

I don't think it's loud, though it's louder than a manual machine. (My grunts and groans forcing some sandwiches through the manual were loud.)

It comes with a magnetic shim. At least my bundle did. But it's not like the plate you like.

I pay attention to reviews and videos too. For the Gemini Junior, while most reviews seemed honest, some comments made me wonder if some people were confused or not following instructions, and in some cases, that people were so brand loyal to a different brand that they wanted to say something negative.

I love the Gem Junior and others I know do too. But if Big Shot plates fit into the Big Shot Express, and given that you like the mag plate, unless the button really bugs you, that seems like a good fit?

And while the Geminis don't have a button, you still have to be there to get the plates as they go through or find a little box or something to place behind it, or the plates will drop onto the desk when done. The slot is less than 3" high but I didn't want mine to fall. Easy to find something but something to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you, Beth. That was the kind of feedback I was hoping for

While I'm not in a particular hurry since my trusty manual Big Shot still works, we shifted furniture around in the house and my setup would flow better if I didn't have to deal with the crank portion of the machine. Falls under "first world problems", I know… but I NEED the sanity-saving down-time of crafting and this is one of my priorty tools.

I've sent an email to sizzix to ask about the availability of the machine. I will share the response (if I get one) in case anyone else is wondering.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Eliminating the need to hold the button would be A Good Thing. (Channeling Martha) ;)

If it matters, small size is a benefit of the Gem Junior, not taking up much more room than my old Cuttlebug when it was closed, since there�s no bed. Of course some would like that and others would prefer a long bed to put stuff on. Since mine is on the corner of my computer desk, I like the sleekness and uncrowdedness. (I just compute and die cut at that desk.)

Last edited by bjeans; 08-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: messed up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Eliminating the need to hold the button would be A Good Thing. (Channeling Martha) ;)

If it matters, small size is a benefit of the Gem Junior, not taking up much more room than my old Cuttlebug when it was closed, since there’s no bed. Of course some would like that and others would prefer a long bed to put stuff on. Since mine is on the corner of my computer desk, I like the sleekness and uncrowdedness. (I just compute and die cut at that desk.)
Sizzix already and informed me that the express has not been discontinued but they do not have an availability date yet. Looks like a Gem Jr will be joining my household soon

And then this video popped up in my YouTube feed, so although I intend to flip and rotate my plates as you suggested, this will be “in my back pocket” just in case:

Last edited by fl_beachbum; 08-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Video link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Interesting! I saw another video a while back with someone using a self healing mat in some machine. Since the mats come in different thicknesses, I guess she had one that’s a good fit given her warpy plates. I’d guess/hope it’s okay to use since the Geminis will reject something too thick. I’d hope it wouldn’t affect the mechanism over time.

Instructions say for very fussy dies, doing 3-4 passes may be needed - she did two. Even my two full coverage dies that two Cuttlebugs and two Big Shots would not cut, were cut well by the Gemini junior.

BTW, I think once in a blue moon one does not cut as it should, and they’ll take it back to adjust the pressure or send a new one.
Reply With Quote Likes