Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot - do I need it?

Hi!

I just finished reading the what do you regret thread and I decided I wanted to put this question out there so I don't make a decision I regret...

I'm thinking about getting a Big Shot, but I don't know if I really need it. Currently I can use the diecut machines at my local scrapbook store for free, but sometimes I think it would be useful to have one at home. But then, where does it end - the machine is pretty expensive and so are the dies - so I need to make sure I will really use it all, you know?!

I do a bit of scrapbooking, but mostly alter items, make mini albums and cards. For those of you with experience, do I need the Big Shot? I have a few punches that I like and I'm toying with getting the new scallop edge punch from SU - would this be redundant with the Big Shot? (some have posted that they regret the punch purchases now that they have a diecut machine).

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Big Shot, i use it so much! I love to use it for embossing, I have brass stencils, Cuttlebug folders, and Fiskars and Ellison Embossing plates. All can be used in the Big Shot! I use my Nestabilities in the Big Shot, and all my dies. I think I use it every day at least!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a BIGkick (same thing as the BigShot) and a Cuttlebug. I really only use the BIGkick now....it's just easier.

Really only you can make the decision as to how much use you would get from the machine. I use mine on a daily basis for nearly all my paper crafting in some fashion or another. Yes, it can become habit forming and expensive, but it you use the items then the cost is justified.

Using the machine at your local store is nice, but do they have the dies you want to use? Do they also have embossing folders, brass dies, Nestabilities, etc? Will they allow you to use other materials besides just paper? If you have to only use their paper, you need to decide that cost and if you get the color/quality/type of paper you prefer to use?

Punches are nice also as I do have several of those and use them too. Not everything can be gotten in a die, therefore some punches are necessary also.

The decision is really one only you can make. There are a lot of things to consider in the decision.

Lastly....I like the convenience of having my own machines. I like to work in the comfort of my own home at whatever time I choose. Going to a store to do things is limited to many factors.

Again, these are just my opinions as a very happy Owner/User of the BIGkick, Cricut and Cuttlebug machines.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I read in the regret thread about people who regretted their punches now that they have a diecut machine, but I don't. It's much easier to stamp and image and center it in a punch than it is a diecutter (although it is certainly possible in the machine) and a quick punch is a lot faster than rolling it thru the machine.

Don't get me wrong - I love my BigKick and haven't regretted the purchase for one single day, but I also love my punches and wouldn't give them up. Another thing to keep in mind - a lot of Stampin' Up!'s punches match certain stamp sets - I don't think there are die-cuts that would match the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I read in the regret thread about people who regretted their punches now that they have a diecut machine, but I don't. It's much easier to stamp and image and center it in a punch than it is a diecutter (although it is certainly possible in the machine) and a quick punch is a lot faster than rolling it thru the machine.

Don't get me wrong - I love my BigKick and haven't regretted the purchase for one single day, but I also love my punches and wouldn't give them up. Another thing to keep in mind - a lot of Stampin' Up!'s punches match certain stamp sets - I don't think there are die-cuts that would match the same.
I agree 100%! I use my Cuttlebug & Nesties daily, as well as all of my punches on a regular basis. I keep thinking I could maybe part with some of my circle & square punches now that I have al the nesties, but they are so handy for a quick job, and they are much easier when cutting a stamped image.

I am interested in the Bigshot though...it looks more stable than the Cuttlebug plus I like the black more than the lime green. I just haven't quite been convinced that I need it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les' GirlView Post
Hi!

I just finished reading the what do you regret thread and I decided I wanted to put this question out there so I don't make a decision I regret...

I'm thinking about getting a Big Shot, but I don't know if I really need it. Currently I can use the diecut machines at my local scrapbook store for free, but sometimes I think it would be useful to have one at home. But then, where does it end - the machine is pretty expensive and so are the dies - so I need to make sure I will really use it all, you know?!

I do a bit of scrapbooking, but mostly alter items, make mini albums and cards. For those of you with experience, do I need the Big Shot? I have a few punches that I like and I'm toying with getting the new scallop edge punch from SU - would this be redundant with the Big Shot? (some have posted that they regret the punch purchases now that they have a diecut machine).

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sherri
Need it? No, of course not. Can you do cool stuff with it? Yup!

I live in a more remote area; I don't have access to scrapbook stores with die machines I could use within 2 hours of me. :shock: ;)

So for me, it was a most excellent investment, and one I've never regretted. I bought the BS when it was first introduced. I love the new black and pink--so chic, but, while I am sooooo tempted, it really doesn't make much financial sense to replace the teal one when it works perfectly fine, just for vanity's sake, UKWIM?! LOL!

I've made sure to invest in dies that I know I will use frequently, and for a variety of projects--classic, and versatile shapes, etc.

I also do not regret my punches and use them quite a bit, as well. I have found that what is available in punch sizes vs. what's available in die sizes often do not match, so between the two, I've got pretty much every size I need covered. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the original Sizzix (will be giving this to a friend soon) Cricut, BS and Cuttlebug. I will not be getting rid of any of the units other than the original Sizzix. I like them each for different reasons. I also have 10 Iris cart drawers full of punches and most of the nesties....I use them all at different times for different things and do NOT regret the purchase of the BS recently. It is a pink and black one (so cute, sorry Julie) but I did not get it from SU. I got a much better deal at an online store for $59.99 plus $8.50 shipping. That left me more $$$ to get more dies and nesties...My motto....never too many tools...lol
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BigKick, CuttleBug and a SideKick. No - I don't think I have wasted money. I use them, I wanted them, I have them. It is not a waste of money to have good tools to use on the projects you do.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks for everyone's input! What are some of your most used/favourite dies you use with your Big Shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have the original Sizzix (will be giving this to a friend soon) Cricut, BS and Cuttlebug. I will not be getting rid of any of the units other than the original Sizzix. I like them each for different reasons. I also have 10 Iris cart drawers full of punches and most of the nesties....I use them all at different times for different things and do NOT regret the purchase of the BS recently. It is a pink and black one (so cute, sorry Julie) but I did not get it from SU. I got a much better deal at an online store for $59.99 plus $8.50 shipping. That left me more $$$ to get more dies and nesties...My motto....never too many tools...lol
Blessings.
I LOVE my original Sizzix and would never part with it. I have a Big Kick as well but I find I still go back to my original Sizzix. I thought about giving it away but once I got the Nesties, I found that it is so easy to stamp an image and then cut with my Nesties. No sandwich to put through the Big Kick. Much easier for Nesties when I use my original machine. Don't get me wrong. I also love my Big Kick but for a single, quick die cut the original machine is just so easy. I won't be parting with my original machine any time soon. It also works well for the Cuttlebug embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I finally bought the Big Kick 2 months ago. It is my first die cut machine purchase, and I love it. I wanted the pretty teal BigShot, but I could get the Big Kick from Micahael's with a 50% off coupon so I settled for the less pretty machine. Now I keep buying embossing folders and dies, but I'm using all of them so that makes it worth the cost.
I also love all of my punches and will never part with them. They serve a different purpose from the Big Kick.
Of course now I want a Wizard or Craft Robo for yet another purpose (mostly alphas). The wants just never end!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a cuddle bug, sizzix, side kick, cricut and I would really like to get the new SU die cut machine, I always use my machines with the exception of my cricut, it's a pain, I am so tired of buying all the blades and mats, it gets expensive, I have so many toys I feel like I waste, how can I get yet another die cut machine and explain to my husband why this is any different then the others, my favorite is my cuddle bug because it will cut almost all of my other dies and it embosses, I use this all the time, but the SU has a wider cutting area, I am about to just buy an accu-cut and then I will be able to buy what ever die I want to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Blessings.
may i ask what online store you bought it at? that's a great deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks for everyone's input! What are some of your most used/favourite dies you use with your Big Shot?
Some of my favorite Big Shot dies are are the album cover die (makes great mini albums), file folder #2, bookplates, and designer bookplates. I don't think Sizzix carries any of these on their website anymore, but you can find them for cheap on ebay (less than $10 each with shipping if you're patient). I'm still waiting on my SU Top Note die, but I'm planning on using it for mini albums.
You also might want to check out the Cuttlebug 2x2 Sliders, 2x2 Tiny Tags, and the 2x6 Flowers (great for felt!). And of course the Nesties are awesome! (I actually own a Cuttlebug, not a Big Shot, but the same dies work in both machines.) I am mostly a card maker and am just starting to branch out into mini albums and a few other home decor-type crafts, and these are some of the dies that I think really spice up my projects. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Where did you get your Big shot for so cheap?

UOTE=starsandcards55;11352159]may i ask what online store you bought it at? that's a great deal![/QUOTE]

I would like to know where sprtchick got her big shot for so cheap tooo!
pattie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Quote:

I really like the tag dies and use those a lot. I've also got some really cute Cuttlebug dies that would look adorable on a mini-book such as a little dog, cat, a globe, a stop sign, etc. The Big Shot easily uses Cuttlebug dies, embossing folders, and Nesties.

Michael's and AC Moore routinely have both Sixxix and Cuttlebug products on sale for 40% off so I have slowly collected lots of them.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes