Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Copic Marker Purchase, Need Advice Beforehand

Lengthy but please read because I need feedback big time.

So my husband called me tonight on his way home from work and said that our business tax obligation was less than half what he had estimated it would be. He knows I've wanted to purchase some Copic Sketch markers for forever! I've got a large set of Prismacolors which are great for one color coloring and I love the boldness of them. I also have a nice set of the Bic Mark It's tooand I equally love those. It just depends on what I'm doing to decide which ones to use and for the most part, I don't delve into too much blending techniques because these two brands are not as friendly when it comes to that technique. So...I downloaded an adorable fairy image and though I was able to color her dress pretty good with blending with Bics, the Bics, nor the Prismacolors had the right colors for the skin. I went on ebay and bought a 6 pack skin tones set and WOW! They are most DEFINITELY the Cadillac of markers. I could not believe the ease and friendliness of them! The skin on my fairy turned out wonderful!!!

All of that said, my husband asked me how much they were. I said, well, I know of three 72 piece sets that are available (I didn't realize that the D set was available yet) and expressed that they are roughly $350 per set. He said to order all three! So...after my long schpeal and the fact that I am a VERY cautious shopper, I had to post here to find out what those who own some or all of them might suggest. Is it worth me "big spending" and buying all of those three sets or not? If not, how do I know which ones to buy? I don't want to grow out of my initial purchase which is why I am currently leaning towards getting all three but at the same time, I don't want to purchase $1000 worth of markers that I may not use all of. I am a super cautious shopper and depend on consumer reviews so hopefully I can get enough feedback from folks here and a couple of other resource that I can make a purchase I feel comfortable purchase.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

I did a lot of research before buying any Copics. I looked at color combinations on the Papertrey Ink and Flourishes Rubber Stamps sites. I searched the blogs of some of my favorite stampers and made notes of the colors they used on the images I liked. I read and re-read Marianne Walker's blog "I Like Markers". I took into account the kind of images I like to color. And I decided not to buy the sets of markers. It was worth the little extra to me to pick out the colors I wanted, not ones predetermined in sets.

I learned something with the first batch I bought: I should have gotten shades lighter than what I thought I needed. So I rectified that with my next order. And then filled in some missing colors with my next order. After using the markers for a while, then I ordered the ink refills for the colors I use most.

So unless you need to spend all the money at once (in case hubby changes his mind!), I would take the time to do the research, make a basic list of colors and then expand on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! How awesome for you! I am going to get to purchase a small amount of Copics, miniscule really, compared to your amount, but I've been doing a lot of research too and from what I've read everyone says to buy individually not the sets. I also think I may buy the Ciao markers since they are so much cheaper and fill in the missing colors with the Sketch.
Happy Copic times for you!
Kathy

p.s.-you should keep that dh of yours
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I haven't used Copics at all yet, but I do use Prismacolor pencils, which I love. I do understand that different mediums are used for various coloring projects, BUT, I just wanted to jump on here to let you know that Prisma's don't have to be one color coloring. You can get different depths of color by how you apply them to your paper and it just takes a little practice. With the Prisma pencils, I always start out with my very lightest color first and I apply it fairly lightly before blending it out across the part of the image I'm coloring. Then you can either apply the next medium color, so on and so forth, and apply color in layers, adding the darkest color last and blending the layers as you go. OR sometimes, I will use the exact same color pencil and by adding the color lightly to start, I will layer that color heavier, again, in layers, until I achieve the look I want. With some mediums, you work from dark to light, but with Prisma's it's best to work from light to dark because you can always add color, but it's hard to remove it. Anyway, I hope that little tip will help you to get more than one color coloring from your Prisma's when you use them . Congrats on the wonderful gift from your husband on being able to spend $1000.00 on Copics! That is really awesome! I would do as recommended- get the colors that you think you would personally use. Wow! Have fun shopping!

PS I totally envy that you have a 'large' set of Prisma's . I hope to own the biggest color box they sell someday- can't remember if it's 120 or 130.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

CountryRose is going to kill me. I own the large set of Prisma's markers & pencils. They were a gift from my DH for my B-day a few years back.

Prisma marker's are also alcohol markers. You can get a colorless blender with them like the Copics. Are they like Copics yes and no. I think the Prisma's are more for illustration like those who do fashion, cars & interior design. Also a lot of those artists are switching over to Copics, especially the fashion industry, because of the softer lines and blending of colors. Prisma's will always be beloved by a lot of artists. Even though we don't see a lot of stamp artists use Prisma's due to the Copic craze there are a few out there who are amazingly talented.

I had a chance to buy a full set of Copics. It was pretty pricey though still for me. I am like you a very cautious shopper. I set there and hyperventilate after I hit the submit button on a pricey products, lol.

These are the questions I asked myself. Am I going to make money off these markers? I am going to be on a Design Team someday? The artwork I do sell is it going to be more marker based or my usual pencil and watercolor techniques? It came down to Am I going to make money off these markers? I also asked questions about storage issues, dusting and maintaining these markers. Everything ended up pretty much no. I skipped the markers. I rather buy them individually for the colors I need. Plus, I don't use Copics for stamping.

If your Copic purchase is a once in a blue moon extravagance ask yourself if this is really want you want to do with that money. I have had those extravagances before. I could buy expensive items. Most of the time I don't buy art tools when that happens to me. Then sometimes I have like my Stampin Up reinkers which was a good investment for me.

I hope that helps some.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great point DeeAnn...I was offered a little cash for Mother's Day to buy a few Copics but it is good to really evaluate if it's what I truly want. Just cause I can doesn't mean I should, right? They are so very pricey that it's something to consider if they will be used enough to get your money's worth or are they just going to sit most of the time and collect dust...they will look lovely on the shelf but still collect dust!! LOL, and that's probably more true in my case since coloring is a challenge for me. I should just stick
with my inexpensive colored pencils.
Sorry Kristen didn't mean to swipe your thread!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had the opportunity a few years ago to buy a bunch of Copics all at once due to an unexpected lump sum of cash. I chose to buy two of the 72-marker sets. Then once I had them and had used them for awhile, I could see what gaps I needed to fill for my own personal coloring needs. I keep a list on a post-it note of shades that I want, so that I know what to add if I need a couple to get me to free shipping on some random order. I still don't have a full set - maybe about 75% - but it's working for me.

One word of warning - your UPS man will almost certainly require a signature if you buy a bunch at once. You'll want to have someone there the day they're out for delivery!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My opinion is don't buy all 3 sets, you probably won't use all those colors. I have 383 Copics, I do not use 383 Copics. Take your time and decide what colors to buy including the Colorless Blender and a Big Bottle of Colorless Blender Solution and all the E color family of Copics. Try to save some of the money for future purchases of Copic Friendly Cardstock, and Refill Ink for your markers.;)

Here are some links to help you decide on what colors to choose:
Color Me Copic Starter Lists

Favorite Color Combinations

I would also recommend that you pick up the 0000 colors the new 2011 and new 2012 colors. I use those alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

First off I have to say what a great husband you have one for actually listening when you told him you wanted to get some Copics and two for telling you to go a head and order what you wanted. I would go to the Flourishes site and look at the color sets that they have and either buy them from Flourishes or buy them from Oozaks or some other place that has them for good prices. I would only get a few sets of colors that you think you would use all the time and order them to begin with and play with them and see if you really like them or not. If you like them then get more sets if you don't then you are not out all that money and you can get other craft toys with what is left over. I have never bought my Copics by the 72 set because I wanted to make sure that I had at least 3 or 4 of the colors that were close together for better blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

To help you do some price comparisons, check out:

http:oozark.com

I buy copics and their refills (don't forget the refills!) from oozark as I've never found another source that offers copic products at a better price. Customer service is EXCELLENT and shipping is FAST, and shipping is free if you spend more than $50.

When I started my copic collection I focused on every color available and then on the fact that there's, for example, a color family that produces light blue shades and medium blue shades and dark blue shades. I picked one color in each shade family and then chose a lighter and darker shade than that one color so I'd have the right colors to make a good blend.

What I found is that buying copics in pre-packaged sets was more costly than buying them individually (through oozark) and that the colors in the sets require you to buy individual markers because what comes in those packages don't "automatically" blend with one another.

Happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

How awesome for you, Kris. I bet you're going to love your new Copic Sketch markers.

My experience is almost exactly the same as Linda's (post #2 above). I researched my first order of individual markers the same way she did. I made the same mistake of not ordering enough lighter colors, which my second order corrected. Since then, I've only had to fill in a few gaps.

I'm glad I decided to hand pick the colors and avoid the sets. My custom collection has been more than adequate, and I've never felt the need to own the entire range of markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Replies not posting

I have written out two comments, one VERY long and they won't post! AND...I can't find any help on it or an email to contact someone about it. VERY frustrating! :-S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

That does sound frustrating, Kris. The email address for help is [email protected] . However, your short reply did post correctly.

Why don't you try to break down your very long post into smaller segments, and that way you won't lose it all if it doesn't work. Just in case, after you type it, copy it before you hit the Submit Reply button.

No one will mind if you post several shorter replies in a row. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the posters who said not to buy the sets. The sets in and of themselves often don't have blending "partners" and you'll be left filling in the blanks. I'd recommend assessing what your preferences are for images whether it's people or landscapes or flowers etc., and determine which colors you are most likely to use. From there determine (from a starter list or from seeing other crafters' work) which blending "partners" (usually a minimum of 3 markers) color group will meet your needs. Good luck

Color of Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wholeheartedly concur with EVERYTHING uncbballfan has said, especially the following:
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I learned something with the first batch I bought: I should have gotten shades lighter than what I thought I needed. So I rectified that with my next order. And then filled in some missing colors with my next order. . . . So unless you need to spend all the money at once (in case hubby changes his mind!), I would take the time to do the research, make a basic list of colors and then expand on that.
Don't buy the sets. I don't know why they even call them "sets" because they are mostly a bunch of random colors. Here is a photo of a color chart that might help. Be warned that some shades will look a little different depending on the light, how much ink you use, etc. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7ijj1JV03j...0/DSCF2585.JPG (This is not my chart, just an online photo I like to use when I think about getting new shades.)

The lightest shades, those ending in 00, 000, or 0000 don't show up very well, but you'll quickly find that these will be some of your most used shades (ie, the ones you will most likely need refills for). I tend to use the X000 or X0000 shades instead the more popular "0" blending marker.

I did a TON of online research, looking for images colored with Copics and making notes of the color combinations I liked. It probably took me three months of looking before I was brave enough to get my first big order. Mostly, I made good choices with only a couple of mistakes in my Copic stash. I believe the online research saved me from wasting a lot of money.

If you think you might do people, fairies, children, etc, start with a Google search on Copics for Skin and Copics for hair and see which color combinations you like. If you have multiracial friends, as I do, you might want get light, medium and dark skin tone shades and light blonde, dark blonde, light brown, dark brown, red and black hair color shades. Hair color, like wood tones, are tricky for me because they tend to use multiple colors, not just multiple shades of one color group.

Next, go on to color-coordinated blending shades (ie: shades from one color group). I bought two shades of blue that look great for blue jeans (B41, B45), but later found that I needed shades in more of a basic blue so I went with B12, B14, B16 and B18.

It's best to buy three shades in the same color/number group to create a nice blended image with shade and shadow definition (something I'm not very good at doing yet). Usually, these shades will have the same first number and the second number will be all odd or all even, but not always. Some of my favorite combos include Y11, Y13, Y15; R20, R22, R24; V12, V15, V17; E33, E35, E37.

A good starter set would be three yellows, three reds, three pinks, three purples, three oranges, etc.

I found that I liked yellow-greens best for grass, flower stems and spring leaves. For grass, I tend to use non blending shades to give the blades more definition (ie: YG03, YG17, YG63).

Sometimes shades that should work together, don't. I still haven't found my perfect pink blending shade. I love RV00 and RV02, but RV04 looks like neon pink in comparison.

Personally, I found the B000/BG000 and B00/BG00 markers to be so close in color that I wished I'd purchased only one color group. But others swear they see a difference, so I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

If you think you might like a blending group, but aren't sure, Google some images that use those shades. There are some fabulous examples out there that give a complete description of the shades used.

Don't forget about the greys. Some people use cool, warm and neutral grays depending whether they are coloring with cool, warm or neutral colors. I'm not artistic enough to do the matching. I tend to like the cool shades and use them for things like sidewalks (light grays) and hair (dark grays). Dark grays make the best "black" for tuxedos and such.

I have 80 markers. While I'd love to have one or two dozen more, I can color most everything I need to color with what I've got. Shop around before you buy. Many people swear by Oozak.com. I've found their prices and service to be very good, but with patience, I've also found a better deal at DickBlick.com. DickBlick sales rotate through often, so you might need to be patient and then hit quick when the sale comes up. Right now, there's a 15% off $120 and free shipping with $160.

I certainly wouldn't plunge in with a big $1,000 order. If it were me, I'd start with a $150-300 purchase. Play with what you get and learn what else you need to suit your own personal preference, then place another $150-300 order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

You are all so awesome and helpful and I thank you so much for all of your advice. After considering all of your advice and looking thoroughly at the Sketch markers colors, I have decided not to buy entire sets. I found a site that I can custom build my own sets and not only are the total prices the same as the prebuilt sets, they offer free shipping! I sat at lunch for an hour with my Sketch color chart and wrote on a sheet of paper each color group (B, BV, Y, YR, etc) and went through each one to chose 3 coordinating colors based on the "rules" of Copics and how they are numbered. Once I did that, I went back through them to see what else I might like in a higher or lower range or if I wanted to extend a range I had already chosen. My purchase is going to consist of (1) custom 72 color set and (1) custom 36 color set. That is sure a LOT cheaper than if I had jumped in and bought $1000 worth of markers with no research. Im sure I would have been so disappointed. Now...I have money left over to buy some other stuff I've wanted for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Kris, pick up some good paper while you are at it. I use Neenah 80# Classic Crest paper in Solar White. It's expensive, but that's what was recommended when I got my Copics and it has served me well.

Others might jump in with their favorite Copic coloring paper choices, too.

Good for you for not going with the pre-made "sets". I think you'll be much happier that way. And, as you've said, you're getting what you want, only a lot cheaper. And I think you are making the right choice going with Sketch, too. Some people like them because they hold more ink or because they can be used in the sprayer attachment. I like them because they don't roll off the table. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

That is great Kris10_2. I agree with Melissa59 about getting good paper. I haven't tried Neenah, but I like GinaK's 120lb white, it is smooth and the copics do not bleed through so you can make a one layer card without any problems. Another thing to consider is the ink that you use with your Copics, I use Memento Tuxedo black and I have never had any problems with it bleeding when using Copics's, or Prisma's and OMS for that matter. Don't forget to get the copic colorless blender as well, it can come in handy when you go outside the lines or for highlights in hair. Have fun and remember that the copics can take a little bit to get used to but once you get the hang of it they are fun, at least I think they are anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I'm another Neenah fan in a big way. Also concur with using Memento Tuxedo Black when coloring with Copics. I highly recommend Ellen Hutson's site. Her prices are extremely reasonable and shipping is fair and prompt. I bought a ream of the Neenah cardstock and get all my Copics/refills from her. A ream lasts a goofy long time.

Her store: Ellen Hutson | Home

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Talking

I was going to ask about paper next! You guys are awesome! I'm definitely getting some Gina K heavy weight card stock but I may grab a handful of the Neenah too and see which one I like best. Thanks for that awesome advice. Oh yeah...and I have the colorless blender. I bought it when I bought my prismacolors and though it works a little with them, it's not near the effect I get IF I use it with my skin tones. I have found so far that I don't really even need it. I guess that can be the case if you have just the right colors to use.

I wanted to share with you guys my snazzy little chart I made for myself after I picked out my colors. It's attached. I spent over an hour picking all of them and I am saving soooo much more money by doing it this way and I got to pick the colors I wanted and they will total a 72 and 36 color set. :-D
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Copic Marker Purchase, Need Advice Beforehand-copic-colors-chart.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Kris10_2, your order does a great job of covering the Copic spectrum!

When you sit down to play, you'll have lots of choices at your disposal. Of course, there will always be something you'll need but don't have (I need a couple colors that Copic has yet made!) but with your choices you'll find something to make do.

As others have said, Memento Tuxedo Black is THE ink choice for Copics. I also like Memento Sepia Brown (I think that's the name) for a softer outline. NEVER use StazOn, it will ruin your Copic markers.

Finally, I think you should take a little of what you've saved and whisk your hubby away for a weekend getaway to
1) thank him for the offer of $1,000 and
2) show him what a good shopper you are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Yeah Melissa, I think I did pretty good in picking them and I'm excited to put in my order! Sometimes being OCD is helpful.

I only use Memento ink for anything permanent. I LOVE that ink because you can color it right after you stamp it and there is no bleeding. I think I'll get a few different colors to use with my Copics too because I only have black right now. I like to use Tim Holtz Stickles in my cards and if I use them on anything water based, the outcome is not usually very pretty. Lol!

I was getting antsy last night to color so I did my second attempt at coloring with Bic Mark It's. I attached it to share. The skin was done in the flesh Copics pack I got a couple of weeks ago and the rest was done in Bic's. The blending is soooo much easier with Copics and my 110lb paper is more tolerant of Copics too. I tend to get wear on the parts that I use Bics on.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I'll have to post what I do first with them.
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Copic Marker Purchase, Need Advice Beforehand-colored-sling-shot-boy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I love your coloring kris10_2. If you color like that using the Bic Mark It's then you shouldn't have any problems with the Copics. One thing that I have found when using Memento on GinaK cardstock is that you might need to give the ink about a minute to dry before coloring. I have found that sometimes the ink smears a bit immediately after inking, but it could also have to do with the climate. I usually stamp one or two images and then I clean the stamp and put the stamp and ink away and by the time I have done all that the ink is good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Aww, thanks Jackie for the kind words. And the advice with the Memento ink. I tend to be a little obsessive in keeping my craft station clean while I'm working so after I stamp, I usually do like you seem to do and clean my stamp, put it away, get out anything else I might need for coloring or whatever I might do with card after coloring. Gina K recommended that ink to me one time and I haven't used another kind since then. I rarely use my Marvy markers anymore either because I tend to do things to my cards that require me to use permanent inks. I'm thinking about just getting a couple more of the Mementos. I have black but I'd like to be able to try the no line coloring tutorial I saw here once so I'll have to have a really light ink too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I love your coloring kris10_2. If you color like that using the Bic Mark It's then you shouldn't have any problems with the Copics.
I totally agree!
Years ago, I had Marvy Markers and I couldn't do anything with them. Any coloring I tried to do looked like a kindergarten did it. Not so with my Copics! I love these markers! And I think Kris will be quite the artist when she gets hers ... heck, she already is an artist!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I wish there was a "like" button here so I could publicly "like" all of these comments. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

!

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: removing duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Kris, I have been looking for THIS post on Marianne Walker's blog for 2 days now, and am so glad I finally found it. She does such a great job explaining the need for lighter colors, and the need to color slowly to get good saturation so your colors won't look splotchy.

And her explanation of getting good coverage so that the back of your work looks almost like the front is the reason I haven't tried coloring on any of the heavier cardstock (like Gina K or PTI). I have read that heavier papers use much more ink, and as a result, the ink can goop up on the paper. However, many people love the thicker cardstock, especially when doing one-layer cards.

I personally prefer the X-Press It Blending Card; my second fave is Hammermill Color Copy Cover (80#); Amazon has it for $10 (250 sheets).

And finally, Memento ink is all I've ever used with Copics. I too am anxious to try the technique you mentioned with no-line coloring. There are new colors due out (the end of this month, I think). I can't wait to try the new gray; the current gray is London Fog, and has too much of a blue cast for my use.

Hope you receive your markers soon and can start playing. I think I set a record today, which I'll probably never top: I colored 24 card fronts. Hand cramps set in around #18 or so, but I was determined to finish the ones I had stamped today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Hey Linda. Thanks for that link. I actually found her in my search and she has some WONDERFUL information in her blog! I saved her to my favorites just now. I chose most of my colors starting with one of the lightest of each section (the ones with all zeros) and built up from there. I love color and I remember some of the things I was taught all of those years ago when I took art for four years so I think I've done okay with the particular colors I chose and hopefully they will be just right for my uses. I ordered some of the Gina K heavy weight card stock and also some of her layering weight card stock so I'll pay close attention to what it seems to do when I color on each. If it uses a lot of ink on the heavy base cards stock, I'll probably do like you and just use the lighter weight for that and then the heavy weight for the base of my cards. I'm soooo super excited. I just ordered a couple of Gina's stamp sets that I've wanted and I'm going to get a couple of those adorable little character stamps from Make it Crafty (I think that's the name of the site) also and then I'll be a card making fool. I've definitely spent some money but I've been asked many times if I sell my cards and after selling my first set of Christmas cards this past year, my plan is to get busy doing some fancy custom cards along with some standard every day event/holiday cards and start selling. Making cards is so therapeutic to me so if there is ever a chance I can sell enough to cut back my hours at work, then that's what I plan to do. Just have to come up with my prices which I'm working on some now. It's not the easiest thing to do. Lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I am among the "do not buy the sets". When it came time for me to start purchasing Copic markers I thought long and hard about what I like to color and who I love their coloring.

I have been a long-time fan of Suzanne Dean from Scrapbitz. I started with her list (located on the page here) and, as most of my images would be flowers etc. I next went to Flourishes for their color chart.

I purchased my markers according to what I like to color and the colors recommended. Mind you...some combinations I did not like so I skipped those or found alternatives. I was lucky as I was able to sit down at my LSS and play with her markers until I found the blending families I did want.

Copics are an expensive addiction and I was really lucky to have the opportunity to purchase most of my markers at one time. Good luck!

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

They came today!!! YAYYYY! I'm so flippin' excited I have a good mind to call in sick to work tomorrow. LOL! I had to reorganize them because the were in order long ways, so I sat in my car at lunch and reorganized them short ways. I LOVE the range of colors I chose and am soooo glad I posted here before impulsively spending $1000 on 3 pre-made sets. If anyone ever asks you where to get them, for those who are fans of picking your own colors, I would recommend Welcome to PeriodStyle.com -! You can get a multitude of sets and each set whether it be 12, 36, 72, etc, you can get all of them in custom color sets that YOU pick and they are the same price as the pre-made sets. I'm going to go through my chart that I made when I picked out my colors and just make double sure I got the ones I wanted...because I am a bit OCD...and then I'm reserving Sunday for COLORING! LOL! OH...and they also gave me a free black sketch one and a fine pointed refillable black one...I can't remember what it's called but they were GREAT to work with. I attached a picture of my new cadillac just for fun. ;)
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Copic Marker Purchase, Need Advice Beforehand-copics-here.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Very nice! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, your Copics are soooo pretty! That's some nice eye candy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Toodles and Deeann! I'm super excited. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these markers! The blendability is incredible and I'm so glad I took all of those years of art back in my school days because I actually retained the information I learned and am able to apply it. It was definitely worth the money and I'm soooo glad I posted here first and got all of the great advice because I am 150% satisfied with my purchase!

I started coloring my first image last night. I attached it to share. I'm going to print out the Copic color wheel and use it when I color too. I had wanted to make her hair like an irish red but I wasn't sure on the color combination so I settled for a golden brown for now. (The saturation in the image is a little more than the real thing. I think my camera settings are too high for color) I have printed four of these cuties so I'll be doing a couple of different ones. I LOVE her green eyes though on this one and I think I'll go with that again once I go find the color combination for the red hair the girl on Color Me Copic did on one of her mermaid videos. I have a feeling I'm not going to get a single thing accomplished that I had planned to do this weekend because I'm going to want to color the entire time! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Copic Marker Purchase, Need Advice Beforehand-fairy-edit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lookin' good, Kris. You're going to have to start uploading some of your cards to your SCS Gallery now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris10_2View Post
I'm going to print out the Copic color wheel and use it when I color too.
Depending on your printer, the Copic color wheel might not print true. It's often more helpful to hand color your own chart with the specific markers you have. You can print a chart on the same type of cardstock you'll be using for your cards. Sharon Harnist has some 2012 hand color charts on her blog: PaperFections: Copic FAQ, Color Charts & Tutorials.

Last edited by Crafts; 04-20-2012 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Depending on your printer, the Copic color wheel might not print true.
Of yeah that's true. I was thinking of printing it just to always have a reference for where colors are on the color wheel but it would make more sense to have that as a true wheel of my Copics on my paper. I'll defnitely start uploading cards once I get going. I'm afraid I'm going to get so addicted to just coloring that I won't even make cards. (j/k) LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

She is so cute. I love her green eyes too. I love the shading.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Default Hammermill cs

Can anyone tell me, you talk about Hammermill color copy cover. Is that the same as Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover? I see that staples has that, but it is #60 lb. If it is the same, would #60 work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

It sounds the same but I would not use anything less than 80 lb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

I just tried to use my first order of Gina K heavy base weight 120lb card stock with my Copics and YUCK! Its wayyyy to slick for me and doesnt seem to soak in any of my ink. It also dries way too auick which makes it horribly difficult to blend. And one other thing, the ink bleeds out of the lines. So...I looked online at the Copic Express It paper and it says its a smooth surface too. Not thinking I would like it either if its like the Gina K paper. Can I get some more feedback from those that are experienced in the paper side of copic coloring? Im going back to my Staples 120lb cardstock in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Likes