Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sharpener for Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils

I know I've seen this discussed before, but I just did a search and have read a lot of GREAT information that I've forgotten, but I cannot find which sharpener exactly is recommended for sharpening the Primsacolor Premier Colored Pencils. I know the hand-held Prisma sharpener works well for some (which I was going to buy), but I also read one person's comment that even manufacturer recommends using an electric sharpener. So, in your opinion, which sharpener is the best to buy? Thanks for your ongoing help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I can't imagine that an electric sharpener would be recommended - it chews up the pencil too quickly. I use a Brynzeel hand-held all metal sharpener. I bought it from marcospaper years ago...it's what they recommended, and it's still going strong!

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a brass hand held that has blades you can replace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Hi!

I have used the Prismacolor Pencils for about 4-5 years now and never had a problem with using an electric sharpener. As long as it's a high quality electric one and not a cheapie battery operated one. ;) Debbie Gimbel, the woman who actually pioneered the Gamsol Magic Technique and uses Prismacolor Pencils herself, mentions preferring an electric sharpener here: Click Hope this helps!

ETA: One other thing... if you're planning on sharpening a lot of pencils at one time, have a few regular graphite pencils on hand to sharpen in between every few Prismas. Since the Prismas have such a high wax content, it can tend to build up in the sharpener and slow it down a bit. Sharpening a regular pencil in between every few Prismas will help prevent that from happening.

Last edited by bnlnkids; 01-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: afterthought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, don't have your 7 year old son help you sharpen them while you are busy scrapbooking...they might end up a bit shorter than necessary.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I use an electric sharpener that I bought from target. Works great as it is a bit slower to sharpen and does not eat your pencils. HTH

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I just sharpened mine today using SU!'s pencil sharpener and it worked great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Default Sharpening Prismacolor Pencils

I did a google search and guess what? I was redirected HERE, where I found an awesome thread here on SCS ~ go figure!! Cecilia Ross AKA/PrincessInk posted three handouts a couple of years back written by Debbie Gimbel. One was a one-page "cheat sheet," where Debbie indicates "the best electric pencil sharpener is the Panasonic KP-4A. It's battery operated. You can purchase it at Office Depot for between $15 and $20." I reread her article online, and she says ... "When you own pencils in quantity and use them a lot, I would suggest an electric pencil sharpener. (I know that sounds like heresy, but my pencils are happy and they've been machine sharpened for many years.) If you don't want to invest in one, almost any kind of sharpener is fine, although I do like the green, plastic Berol (Sanford) sharpener. It is containerized and does a great job. You can find it at Pearl's or most office supply stores."

I then went back to Sanford (who manufactures the pencils) and looked through their FAQs once again. They recommend a high quality cosmetic hand-held pencil sharpener.

So, I actually learned a lot!! Thanks for your responses. It sounds like if the sharpener you are using works ... don't change it!! I love it, because I now have several options to choose from to sharpen my 120-piece set!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

ETA: One other thing... if you're planning on sharpening a lot of pencils at one time, have a few regular graphite pencils on hand to sharpen in between every few Prismas. Since the Prismas have such a high wax content, it can tend to build up in the sharpener and slow it down a bit. Sharpening a regular pencil in between every few Prismas will help prevent that from happening. [/QUOTE]

LOL ~ When you say "regular graphite pencils," you mean a pencil you use every day, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I use an electric sharpener on mine with no problem. It's a Boston I bought at Staples for around $20. Good luck!

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Another happy electric sharpener chiming in BTW, be sure to keep your pencils fairly sharp. I know when I first got my pencils, I hesitated to sharpen them as I felt like I was "wasting" the pencil. Silly, I know. I read somewhere, though, that it's actually better to sharpen frequently, as you waste less of the pencil and it's less likely to break, too. Not to mention better results coloring!!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I've used my pencils for a few years and I have an electric sharpen also. No problems here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

All I know is that the Prismacolors I got as a gift from my art teacher almost 15 years ago used better quality wood than the Prismas of today. They sharpened beautifully, every single color. From the set my BF got me for Christmas sometimes certain colors give me trouble sharpening nicely with a high quality metal hand held sharpener. I was a little disappointed, and have been searching for the perfect sharpener that won't mangle the wood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifesabeach32940View Post
I know I've seen this discussed before, but I just did a search and have read a lot of GREAT information that I've forgotten, but I cannot find which sharpener exactly is recommended for sharpening the Primsacolor Premier Colored Pencils. I know the hand-held Prisma sharpener works well for some (which I was going to buy), but I also read one person's comment that even manufacturer recommends using an electric sharpener. So, in your opinion, which sharpener is the best to buy? Thanks for your ongoing help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I have the Prisma handheld pencil sharpener and tried to sharpen all my 120 pencils with it. Unless you want a bad case of carpel tunnel, get an electric one! It's just way too much twisting and turning if you're doing a whole set of pencils.

And, I found the leads break just as often with the little manual one. I think they must get broken on the inside of the pencil during manufacturing and shipping.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

LOL ~ When you say "regular graphite pencils," you mean a pencil you use every day, right?
That's correct. Just a regular ol' "lead" pencil. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought the set that comes in a big tin, I think it has 120 pencils in it.. and it came with a small silver sharpener.. that thing is great.. sharpens the pencils super sharp without wasting a lot of the pencil. It came in the box, so I guess it is made by Prismacolor. hope that helps. Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I did a google search and guess what? I was redirected HERE, where I found an awesome thread here on SCS ~ go figure!! Cecilia Ross AKA/PrincessInk posted three handouts a couple of years back written by Debbie Gimbel. One was a one-page "cheat sheet," where Debbie indicates "the best electric pencil sharpener is the Panasonic KP-4A. It's battery operated. You can purchase it at Office Depot for between $15 and $20." I reread her article online, and she says ... "When you own pencils in quantity and use them a lot, I would suggest an electric pencil sharpener. (I know that sounds like heresy, but my pencils are happy and they've been machine sharpened for many years.) If you don't want to invest in one, almost any kind of sharpener is fine, although I do like the green, plastic Berol (Sanford) sharpener. It is containerized and does a great job. You can find it at Pearl's or most office supply stores."

I then went back to Sanford (who manufactures the pencils) and looked through their FAQs once again. They recommend a high quality cosmetic hand-held pencil sharpener.

So, I actually learned a lot!! Thanks for your responses. It sounds like if the sharpener you are using works ... don't change it!! I love it, because I now have several options to choose from to sharpen my 120-piece set!!
Keri Lee Sereika also recommended this. So when I 1st bought my Prismas, I went to Wal-Mart and got a small - approx 1"x1", manual, black, 2 holed Revlon cosmetic sharpener (for eyebrow pencils). Keri said to get one with a *stop* which this one does. You want a stop so the pencil doesn't keep sharpening til it touches the end of the sharpener thus breaking the lead. Yes, it took a while to get them all sharpened, but I took it in shifts. This little ditty works great!!
I also got the little silver sharpener in a large tin of Prismas. After using my Revlon, I did not like how the silver one sharpened at all.
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
You want a stop so the pencil doesn't keep sharpening til it touches the end of the sharpener thus breaking the lead.
You can do this with an electric sharpener, too. It's what I do... just keep checking the pencil every couple of seconds to make sure that it hasn't sharpened the core all the way to a point. As long as you keep checking as you sharpen, and stop at the right time, you will get a nice, strong, *flattened* point. I prefer not to sharpen my pencils all the way to a fine point anyway, because it's more difficult to lay down a lot of color with such an uber small tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I used to work in an office with a professional graphic artist. When I first invested in my Prismacolor pencils, she convinced me to go to Staples and purchase a nicer, more expensive electric sharpener by Panasonic with an autostop feature. I made the investment, and haven't been sorry one bit. No complaints. I figured since I paid so much for the Prismacolor pencils, I'd better fork over some cash for a good sharpener too.

Designing for:
Tiddly Inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MhewettView Post
Also, don't have your 7 year old son help you sharpen them while you are busy scrapbooking...they might end up a bit shorter than necessary.;)

I take it you learned this from experience!
It's sweet when they want to help, God bless them, sometimes they get a bit over zealous!

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes