Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear Papertrey is awesome, I've only used PT white and LOVE it...
Bazzill is my first choice!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Another vote for Stampin Up. I too like the lighter weight due to layers on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Another vote for Papertrey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Looks like I have some paper to test out. Of course I have some Bazzill, but I do not have any SU or Papertrey paper. Looks like I may have to find some of both.

Can I order SU paper online? I see that I can order Papertrey online though so I think I will get some of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love SU cardstock, PTI cardstock and Bazzill.
PTI White is the BEST i have used so far..
Bazzill.. the best textured paper I have used..
SU.. best overall CS with PTI being the close second
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinggrlnvaView Post
Looks like I have some paper to test out. Of course I have some Bazzill, but I do not have any SU or Papertrey paper. Looks like I may have to find some of both.

Can I order SU paper online? I see that I can order Papertrey online though so I think I will get some of that.
On-line ordering is coming to SU sometime this fall. Until then you will want to locate a demo on the SU customer site to order through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

My favorites are SU! and PTI. Love them both! For something different, I'm a fan of the Bazzill Bling too---such a lovely shimmer, plus I love the texture!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

I jump on the SU boat. One of the main reasons I became a demo is I LOVE their CS! The white and vanilla are a bit light to use as a base, as others have mentioned... but no problems with any other colors.

But personally I love whisper white for stamping because I get such a wonderfully clear stamped image. I have tried PTI and Bazzil, but stick with SU because I prefer it.

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use mostly Papertrey White or Georgia Pacific white for bases. I use mostly SU paper for other things and GP white for layers. I just love good quality paper and that is available from many sources.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

for colored cardstock bases, I use Bazzill, simply b/c I am also a huge scrapper, and its easier to buy only one kind. For card images, I stamp on flat cardstock though (lately, its been the Georgia Pacific) and i typically layer it onto the bazzill. I also have a large amount of white heavy weight flat premade card bases that I bought from a wedding type card place -i don't always go with a white base, but when I do, i use this. It is thicker than any cardstock I've seen, has a very nice velvety texture. I like the feel of it in my hands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #51  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

TAC sells a heavyweight white cardstock that I really like (but hoard). SU's Whisper White has a great finish and Georgia pacific's 110# cardstock is nice for mass production (comparatively inexpensive while looking nice).

Most of my cards have color bases (the majority is SU but I buy lots of papers and cardstock at my LSS and really like one with Duo in its name ... can't remember more at the moment but one side is darker than the other so it's nice for cards (lighter side for the inner card). Bazzill is nicely textured and I have used watercolor paper too (I buy pads when Michael's or AC Moore have them on sale).

I haven't tried (or seen/felt) cardstock/paper from PTI or CTMH so have no idea how they compare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Love Su for all colors but White- where i like the heavier PaperTrey. SIL turned me onto it and i LUV IT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used 80lb COVER stock (heavier than "card stock at the same weight") all of my stamping life. I get it from my local paper source, *the guys that supply printers.*
A ream, 250 sheets, is much more cost effectively priced per sheet vs. the price we pay for "packaged for resell" paper in small quantities. I buy a ream once every other year if that. I get Wausau smooth white for stamping and Neenah Linen for card bases. Neenah colors are gorgeous! You can request samples from their web sites too.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I don't know, and I hope I don't get flamed for saying this but I don't think you will get a non-biaised opinion on an SU product here as there are so many SU demos who make their pennies selling the product. Bit like asking a Toyota Salesman if his product is better than Honda's.

Another sturdy CARDSTOCK I have found is American Crafts though it was textured and I didn't purchase any at this time.
No flames, just a correction. (ok, maybe just a spark) I am not a demo, nor do I play one on TV (an old commercial reference). I can offer my opinion and I won't get a dime for it! (all donations gladly accepted though):

I do love SU's cs and it's for the following UNBIASED reasons:
-quality and consistency of the WWhite and VVanilla for stamping images on.. it just feels great and stamps great!
-quality and consistency of the colored cs... superior
-MATCHING of the colors perfectly to the ink and now to the Designer Paper... amazing! (((I love it when it all matches!!!!)))___ best reason of all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

SU is all that I buy. I'm my only real customer so I don't really make many pennies. But, I have tried other papers and just prefer SU. I love all their papers the best. I know others are good but I'll stick with my favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

I do love the wide range of colors from SU! SU! is what I was born and raised on. SU! papers will always be in my collection for the simple fact that they do have a wide range of colors.

That being said, since I discovered PTI, I use them first before I use SU! because it is heavier than SU!. Granted, PTI doesn't have the HUGE range of colors....YET! But every month they release new colors and stamp sets with no end in site.

Personally, I think it's what YOU like to use. Everyone has their own very valid opinion, but it's a matter of personal preference. I think of it like purses. Some people like a purse with many organized pockets, some like a purse with just one main compartment. Neither is right or wrong - just what YOU like to use! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #57  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Another vote for SU :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have tried many from J's and from M's. I have also been to Hollo's in OH. When I was first starting out as a demo (hobby), I thought that I could do much better with paper prices by going to Hollo's. When stamping notecards for my MIL, I found that something seemed to not work well on the white I purchased. I tried it on the the SU white and have purchased nothing but SU CS since then.

I have not tried PTI...and probably will not if there is a potential issue with delivery of product. It sounds like the white is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #59  
Forum Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd like to explain, if I could, JanTInk's explanation of paper weight in post #31. The quote from the print industry newsletter is a bit misleading. 80# cover and 80# text are DIFFERENT. And, yes, they are based on different basic sizes.

500 sheets that are 20" x 26" of 80# COVER stock will weigh 80 pounds
500 sheets that are 25" x 38" of 80# TEXT stock will weigh 80 pounds

If you cut each of them to the same size sheet (8.5 x 11), the same number of sheets of text will weigh considerably LESS than the same amount of cover.

IS THAT STILL A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?

Now, I've done alot of research with paper and SU cardstock in particular... and I believe that the whisper white and the very vanilla are 65# cover weight. This is a VERY common weight for cover stock in the paper industry. And SU colors are 80# cover. That is why the WW and the VV are so much flimsier.

Now..... here is where I have to disagree with JanTInk. SU whisper white is NOT a coated sheet. SU glossy is a coated sheet. SU whisper white and very vanilla are INDEED uncoated sheets of cardstock. They FEEL so much smoother because they are super calendared (paper industry term). QUOTE "super calendared, is either pressed between hot glazing rollers, passed through cold polished rollers, or polished with a smooth hard object [calendared]." END QUOTE

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

When a company gives the weight of the paper they most ALWAYS specify if it's a cover weight or a text weight. Most DP will be text weight and most cardstocks will be cover weights. That should be pretty standard.

I'm not familiar with Papertrey's paper, but I'm guessing, if their paper "feels" heavier than SU colored cardstock, then I'll venture to guess that it is in fact 110# cover.

I also have to say that you really can't "guess" the weight of paper by feeling it. In order to compare apples to apples.... without the texture or smoothness to bias you..... in order to know if a paper is "heavier" you really need to use a micrometer and measure the thickness. Or, if you are reading labels of papers in a store or paper shop (like XPedX) you can trust the labels. BUT be sure you are comparing cover to cover and not cover to text.

Ok....... I'm getting down from my soapbox. And I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

And, YES I AM AN SU DEMO. AND I PREFER SU cardstock. Although not the white or VV for cardbases!! On that, most of us agree!!

But I have found paper that EXACTLY matches it and do not feel guilty to use it for my own personal use...... and NEVER for a workshop or SU only swap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

thanks for the great info nancy
but you failed to let everyone know that paper is your business!
i'm not clear/sure of the "business" terms but you made sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

PAPERTREY =D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #64  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbakerView Post

Now..... here is where I have to disagree with JanTInk. SU whisper white is NOT a coated sheet. SU glossy is a coated sheet. SU whisper white and very vanilla are INDEED uncoated sheets of cardstock. They FEEL so much smoother because they are super calendared (paper industry term). QUOTE "super calendared, is either pressed between hot glazing rollers, passed through cold polished rollers, or polished with a smooth hard object [calendared]." END QUOTE
Hey girls,
I thought I might chime in here on the "technical" discussion of paper weights/finishes to say that "coated" generally means the paper has a light clay coating to it. Coated papers don't absorb as much ink because they are, well, coated!(I REFUSE to get more technical than that!) :-) For the most part, this might not matter to most, but if you are using Copic markers or similar with a stamped image, you will find the uncoated papers will generally work better. You can get a pretty good overview of that on Marianne's blog, I Like Markers where she has an in-depth discussion on which papers work best with Copics. Otherwise, I'm just adding to the techno mumbo jumbo about paper.

If you are going to see your local printer about getting paper, take a sample similar to what you are looking to purchase, that will help them determine if you are working with coated/uncoated, calendared/smooth, text, book, card or index weights, etc. and you won't have to remember all this stuff. Buy by the carton and sell to your friends, you all will save! Having worked for a huge print shop, I can't justify paying the high price plus the shipping on white cardstock from stamping companies--but only because I KNOW I can source what I want elsewhere. Colored papers are another story, stick with your favorite stamping company because their papers match their inks, one headache I wouldn't want to take on at any price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #65  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Stampin' Up and Papertrey Ink. Papertrey's is a bit heavier. Both are EXCELLENT quality and beautiful colors.
I've been using the white, off white and kraft Paper Trey ink paper for a while and love them. I recently purchased berry sorbet and Hawaiian shores and love them, too. Great weight, especially for die cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some SU stuff that I love but when it comes to paper try Gina K at StampTV. It is great! And free shipping over $50.00. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh yes...love love love Gina K....great cardstocks.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes