Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Stamping Gift

My sister in law has stamped exactly one time and has decided that she wants to give it a try. So for Christmas my mom and I want to make up a gift for her containing the stuff a beginner stamper really needs. So I am coming to you for your opinions! Please share with me a list of products and a really good book for someone that is brand new to stamping and cardmaking!

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All stampers need some really good white paper (like SU!'s Whisper White), and a Basic Black ink pad. After that it's a matter of personal preference. I would add some coloured cardstock and maybe some coloured inkspots to match. You can then add a set of blender pens and she can colour in her line images. A couple of rolls of neutral ribbon (white, chocolate) and she would have a bunch of different things to get her rolling. Stamp-wise... a floral set and a mixed set of sentiments would go far.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start out with:

1: Black ink pad.

2: White Card stock.

3. Colored Card Stock.

4. Paper Trimmer.

5: Stamp set. two of three sets.

6: Scissors.

7: Adhesive.

8: Ribbon

9: Markers.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a beginner, I would not go overboard. You don't want to spend a lot only to discover the person is not all that interested.

I would agree with the person's suggestions in Post #3 all but the markers. I don't feel markers are something someone starting out would have the knowledge to use. They would probably prefer much more simple as in just stamping the image. Also, I would go with 3-4 individual stamps of different images (unrelated) based on the interest of the person. Sets of stamps are too limiting and I think many people don't use every stamp in a set....also sets are more expensive than individual lesser expensive stamps. Giving a variety of stamps from a dollar bin I feel would be better for a beginner.

Just my opinion.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I would make a basket filled with:

1) Black Ink Pad - Archival Jet Black by Ranger
2) White Card Stock - SU, Papertrey Ink or Georgia Pacific from Wal-Mart
3) Paper Trimmer
4) Stamp Cleaner and Scrubber
5) Scissors
6) Adhesive
7) Gift Certificate(s)

Everything else needs to be decided by her so a gift certificate is perfect. She can chose stamps, colored card stock, patterned paper, embellishments to fit her style. Some people love to color and like outlined images and some don't. Some people are simple and some are not.

Here are some great ideas for gift certificates: Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, Stampin' Up, Close to My Heart, The Angel Company, Papertrey Ink and Unity Stamp Company.

Happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with djuseless list, except for the gift certificate. I would pick out 1 or 2 stamp sets. If she is just starting out she will be very overwhelmed picking out her first couple of sets. Maybe a floral set and a set with all types of greetings.

I am editing this and adding my own list.

Black Ink Pad
Maybe a couple ink colors (in small cubes)
White Card Stock
Colored Card Stock
Paper Trimmer
Stamp Cleaner and Scrubber
Scissors
Adhesive
1 or 2 stamp sets
Acrylic block if going with clear stamps (IMHO is easier for a beginner)

Papertrey Ink has a paper pack with an assortment. they also sell ink cube for $2 each that match the paper. And thier clear stamps are great. Their white paper is terrific. If you are feeling very generous they have ribbon and buttons that match their paper.

I am in no way affiliated with thier company. I just love their products. Very high quality. Their customer service well......

Katie

Last edited by kate2kate; 11-19-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just add a list on how to save money - adhesive with 50% off coupons etc.
Tips and techniques to try
oh and the link to SCS ;)

Also if you think GP cardstock is a bit gray there is Georgia Pacific Image Plus Cardstock that is considered a High Bright White for under $7 at Sam's Club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add a bone folder to the list of essential tools. I think you can find one for $5.00 or less. It is useful to burnish your folds, use as a scoring tool with a paper trimmer with the slot in the piece that holds the paper, etc.

Think of the items you might have in your basic 'workshop' kit or of the things/tools that you use every time you sit down to make a card. If she is a crafty person, this should give her a good start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe consider one of Stampin Up's Simply Sent Card Kits. Gives you everything you need to create 10 cards. The stamps, ink spots, ribbon etc, etc. This may give your SIL a better idea if she really wants to take up this insanity...oops! I mean hobby before investing in a paper cutter, scissors and many other necessities. She would also have reusable supplies left over. Just a thought. They can be found on pages 170 & 171 in their current catalog.

I would really like to have the Petite Pansies kit but I would be paying $42. for stamps as I own everything else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I was just going to add the BONE FOLDER as well!! Glad someone thought of it, cause I was going to say it!! Also maybe just a few embellishments, like brads of flowers or something...just to bling it up a little!! Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Maybe consider one of Stampin Up's Simply Sent Card Kits. Gives you everything you need to create 10 cards. The stamps, ink spots, ribbon etc, etc. This may give your SIL a better idea if she really wants to take up this insanity...oops! I mean hobby before investing in a paper cutter, scissors and many other necessities. She would also have reusable supplies left over. Just a thought. They can be found on pages 170 & 171 in their current catalog.

I would really like to have the Petite Pansies kit but I would be paying $42. for stamps as I own everything else!
I would recommend a kit, also. My DIL went with me to a stamp camp at my SU demo's house. She left saying she loved it, loved it. Wanted to make more cards and take up stamping!

I ordered her a nice SU set for her birthday, and also took her some of my supplies to fill in (ribbons, embellishments, etc.)

She made a couple of cards with the set and then totally lost interest. Now I should mention she has a history of being all excited and starting something and not following through, and your person may not be this way.

I went through the same thing with this DIL with crocheting. She starts off like gangbusters and then just can't seem to sustain her interest.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes