Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG gun help, please!

I just purchased my ATG gun and have actually used a whole roll. Was I mistaken when I thought you could change out tapes in the middle of a project, like if I needed acid-free I could just change it and then change it back to the non acid when I was finished? I have a very difficult time loading it, but it seems to work the way I did it.

The adhesive does get stringy sometimes and the tape comes off the end of the roller. Am I doing something wrong? Usually that happens when I am doing small projects.

Also, how do we take the tape off when it's out? I just opened the case and all of tape just sort of rolled or fell off? Is that correct or am I missing something. Someone please help me with these three questions.
Thanks,
Susie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Wow!!! I have to say first you must of made tons of stuff I mean tons of stuff because It takes me awhile to use a hole roll and I thought I made lots of stuff with it.
I have never tryed to change the tape in the middle of a role,so sorry I can't help there.
The tape does get stringy I have tryed to roll it on gentley and have had more succes.
Sometimes when I take the tape out it does do that allso just rolls out or falls off.
I hope this helps you out. I Love the ATG gun I am so glad I purchased it and I have saved lots of money by useing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have found the the acid-free is "stringier" than the non acid-free. The "non" seems to apply much smoother. BUT, even with that being said...I love my ATG...best craft tool I have ever purchased! As far as changing tapes in the middle of a project...should be not much different than loading a new roll. I would remove some of the stickiness from the part of the tape you are threading through to the second wheel. I have two guns...the 1/2" I keep loaded with acid-free for scrapbooking and the 1/4" holds the non acid-free for other projects. And, yes when you run out, you just kind of pull out the tape backing and throw it away. HTH.

It's official...I'm a stamping addict (second only to my "being a grandma" addiction)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I just purchased my ATG gun and have actually used a whole roll. Was I mistaken when I thought you could change out tapes in the middle of a project, like if I needed acid-free I could just change it and then change it back to the non acid when I was finished? I have a very difficult time loading it, but it seems to work the way I did it.
You should be able to take the roll off and put on the a different one mid-roll. Just tear the tape and remove both parts (the empty paper and the remaining roll).

Quote:

The adhesive does get stringy sometimes and the tape comes off the end of the roller. Am I doing something wrong? Usually that happens when I am doing small projects.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have this happen sometimes too. For me, it gets stringy if I am not applying even pressure as I'm rolling out the adhesive.

Quote:

Also, how do we take the tape off when it's out? I just opened the case and all of tape just sort of rolled or fell off? Is that correct or am I missing something. Someone please help me with these three questions.
Did you have the tape roll push all the way on so that it snapped into place on the black post? To remove the white plastic ring the tape was on, you have to kind of squeeze the black part of the post that the ring sits on. Then you can take off the black "lock" that is over the paper part of the used tape and slide that off. Mine didn't stay nice and neat as it came off but it was being thrown away anyhow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I have changed mine in the middle for exactly what you are doing. I really don't like how the archival one is stringy but love the gun. I think it took me 2 months to go thru one roll. I know I would have gone thru a ton of mono in this time. Love the atg!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Ok, thanks for all the help. I guess mine works just like everyone elses. Maybe I use too much tape on the cards. I make sure I have tape all the way down each side and a line in the middle???? Plus, my husband had
three large posters I had to do some glueing on. Maybe that's why I'm already out. I don't know. I did make a lot of cards, but how many would you say one role of tape makes?
Again, thanks for the help. I love this site. Everyone is so nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I took mine to a 60 card swap and didn't even use a 1/4 of the role I use it just how you do so I just thought that you had made a ton of cards to use the hole roll. It's not a bad thing I find that you don't have to use as much because the tape is so strong and holds so well. And the best thing is that the cards don't fall apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
Ok, thanks for all the help. I guess mine works just like everyone elses. Maybe I use too much tape on the cards. I make sure I have tape all the way down each side and a line in the middle????
I tend to tape the same way you do. I suppose I could learn to use less.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Where's teh cheapest & fastest place to buy one of these Guns?

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

At first I ordered mine from Armelcompany.com. They were very nice and told me they had the gun but the tape was out and so I placed my order and opted to wait for the tape so that they could be sent together. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks so I called back and they said there had been a run on the guns and now the guns were gone. Shouldn't mine have been put aside since I ordered it??? I don't know. They were very nice but I didn't want to wait so I ordered from framingsupplies.com and I got it in about 5 days maybe. It was shipped the day after I ordered it. Very happy with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

You can fix the stringy problem. Simply stop pressing the button before you finish rolling.

To keep the adhesive from pulling off the side of the roller make sure you have the tape loaded good and tight.

I have a 2nd ATG so I can keep 1 with a/f tape, and 1 with regular (cheaper) tape. It's a royal pain to load & unload. I don't want to waste any precious time I have (4 kids, 3 are under 4yo).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Are there different types? I saw a red one and a yellow one (very different looking). And the one also had a smaller version...which one are you guys loving so much?? Thanks. Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

They Red #714 ATG is for 1/4" adhesive only. The Yellow #700 ATG uses 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" adhesives BUT you need an adapter (around $ in order to use the 1/4" adhesive in the Yellow #700. Personally, I got the Red and I love it. If I "need" wider tape I just do a second swipe. (I really haven't needed the wider yet other than I have adhesive issues - I use LOTS) HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I love my gun... have used it for about a year and I feel like I am all thumbs when i use a little dispenser... stick with it... you can love yours to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Thanks very much for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh, I wish I could get mine to work. I've changed the roll, had my husband change the roll, lift up before stopping. Everything. One roll worked for about 10 cards and then it does not stay on the gun. We've checked the instructions a hundred times. It worked fine and then suddently died. I would happily sell mine for $10 plus shipping as it is taking up way too much space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Ugh, I wish I could get mine to work. I've changed the roll, had my husband change the roll, lift up before stopping. Everything. One roll worked for about 10 cards and then it does not stay on the gun. We've checked the instructions a hundred times. It worked fine and then suddently died. I would happily sell mine for $10 plus shipping as it is taking up way too much space!
Joan- I just sent you a PM if you are considering getting rid of your ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes, I've had several offers and that #$&#^$%*# is sold!! Didn't mean to turn this into the sale thread...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I just bought mine from www.framingsupplies.com. It's arriving on Wednesday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Ok I just got mine today and have to say, this baby is HUGE!!!! I purchased the 714. I hope I love this as much as everyone say I will... the size is freaking me out, not at all what i was expecting.

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I just ordered mine from framingsupplies.com, they had the best price. I paid $36.62 for the 714 model. I hope I like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Yes, it is huge, but believe me, after a few days of using it, you will handle it like a pro and LOVE it! I couldnt' live without mine. I reach for it all the time. Do read the directions and tips as its easy to use, but those little needed movements make all the difference. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 04:14 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! I told myself that I was NOT going to get one of these because I love the greem tombo glue and it's way cheap. What that said I just ordered one!!!! You all are such enablers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Talking

(Insert evil laugh here! :twisted: )

You are going to love it! And I was a Tombow Multi girl too, but I rarely grab that bottle any more. I just love my gun.

Hey! I'm less than 2 hours from you here in Allendale!! I used to go to St Joe all the time to visit a friend just after high school. Beautiful area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by imatalossView Post
Ok I just got mine today and have to say, this baby is HUGE!!!! I purchased the 714. I hope I love this as much as everyone say I will... the size is freaking me out, not at all what i was expecting.
I just got mine today and I'm agreeing with everything Mary said!! It is HUGE and also hoping I'm going to love it! But SCS has never let me down on anything recommended that I have purchased and there have been many purchases!! I will say that the shipping from framingsupplies was so fast! It shipped the same day I ordered it!!

Barbara, we are right down the road from each other St. Joe is a beautiful place, home to Silver Beach, one of the 10 best beaches in the US!!

Well off to practice with that big ole 714!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

I absolutely love mine too. No more running out of adhesive! And...it really sticks. Even used it on some posters my husband had to make for church. You'll be happy with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

I've had mine for about 6 months, and I'm not going back!!!
It's fabulous, and my cards never come apart anymore :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Yes, you will love it! I was a skeptic too...can't live without the thing now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 05:51 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

I've been using the big ole 714 and I'm liking it, not loving it yet at this point and here's my problem. I'm left handed...... So when I'm using it, the silver thingamagig is what I see when I roll the tape rather than the tape itself, if this makes any sense. Any lefties out there?? Do I just adapt to the right hand world once again??? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes