Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG dilemnia... need advice

I just read on another thread that the ATG 714 is not available at the moment due to quality issues. My question is should I go ahead and buy the 700 and get the adapter or just wait until the 714 is available? I would mainly use the 1/4 inch tape. So I'm not sure if this is a wise investment for me now. Those of you who own the 700 do you use it on cards or other larger projects? Also is the 700 bigger than the 714? Any advice is appreciated. TIA

Theresa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I have the 700 with the adapter since I bought it about 7 years ago before they made the 714. I've never had any problems. It's a one time set up and then you're done. They are the same size, same mechanism, just different sized wheels from the factory. Once you install the adapter, you forget about it. Honestly it's been so long that I can't even remember having it any other way.

3M recalled the 714s due to a defect. My bf works in a frame shop and they're being told that the 714s probably won't be available again until May or June.

I'd get the 700 and never look back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Get the 700

I just got the 700 last week. I use 1/2" double sided tape so, it is all right. But I had originally ordered the 714 and Maureen from framing supply. She sent me an email to call her. That's when I learned that the 714's were being recalled. New 714's will not be available for about 4 months. ALthough she told me that I could order from another vendor, she felt that the 700 was a better designed tool. I did not order the adapter, yet. But the 700 is only a few bucks more. SCS's seem to be very pleased. I have already started to use it. It is not heavy at all. I followed the video tutorials that a wonderful person sent me. I followed the directions to the T and got it working. It is quick and I like that it ends where I want it without bending over tape. I bought 2 rolls of the 1/2 non-acid free. And one super sticky to use instead of the redliner. Hope you make the decision to get the 700.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well, this explains all the issues I've had with my 714! Ah, it wasn't totally me being a dork!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have two of the 700s, one with the adapter (for 1/4") and one without (for 1/2"). And I have never had any problems with both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

If the 714 isn't supposed to be out for ANOTHER 4 months I just might get the 700 with the adapter. Question for those with the adapter. Once the adapter is on can you switch to the 1/2 tape? Or are you limited to the 1/4 inch tape until it is gone? thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost feel like I'm walking on eggs here--I'm on my 5th roll of tape in my 714, which I got for Christmas (it arrived the first of December, but hubby wouldn't let me open it until Christmas Day). I wonder if it's a good one, or if it just hasn't acted up yet? Is there any way to tell?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 714 ATG

I have the 714 ATG, are they calling them back? I purchased it right after Thanksgiving or the beginning of Dec., I have not received any mail or email telling me to return it. Did anyone hear from the company about their ATG?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffyrs1View Post
I have the 714 ATG, are they calling them back? I purchased it right after Thanksgiving or the beginning of Dec., I have not received any mail or email telling me to return it. Did anyone hear from the company about their ATG?
I don't think there is any recall. I think a lot of people had issues with the roller not working and contacted the company. It seems that some distributors are not selling the ATG 714 anymore until the new one comes out. So I would assume that if yours is working fine you probably didn't get a defective one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

The defective ones were made after the new year, so you should be ok. Plus not all of the ones made after the new year are defective. I ordered one 2 days after someone, from the same company, hers is fine and mine isn't. If you're not having any problems by now, you're safe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Can anyone link me to the thread where they discuss them being recalled. My mom just bought me one for my b-day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I've only had mine for about a month. The only issue I'm having is that while I am applying it starts to move off the roller....if I am making any sense!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkieMomaView Post
I've only had mine for about a month. The only issue I'm having is that while I am applying it starts to move off the roller....if I am making any sense!

Pam
I had the same thing happen to me with one roll of tape and in hindsight I might not have had the tape secured on the hub properly. The hook on the hub has to lock it in place and I don't think I did that. Now, I am careful to make sure it clicks on before I start threading it. I have misplaced the retainer that locks onto the used portion of the liner of the ATG but it hasn't seemed to have affected the performance and it actually is working better than ever. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
If the 714 isn't supposed to be out for ANOTHER 4 months I just might get the 700 with the adapter. Question for those with the adapter. Once the adapter is on can you switch to the 1/2 tape? Or are you limited to the 1/4 inch tape until it is gone? thanks!
I figure it would be best to use up the entire roll before you switch from 1/4 to 1/2. That's why I bought 2 of the 700s because I didn't want to deal with switching tapes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

UPDATE:
I took all of your great advice and went ahead and ordered the 700 with the adapter. Hubby bought it for me! Wasn't he nice So thanks again. I'm sure after I get it I will be posting again at how I can't figure out how to use it (hehe).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I have the 700 and love it! I use 3/4 in tape
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subscribing ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Hi Rita,
I am a 3M ATG 714 distributor located in Assonet too. The "Bad" dispensers didn't start shipping until early January in most cases so chances are that you have a good one. The symptom of a bad dispenser is the amount of "pull" required to apply the tape is enough to make your wrist hurt! It is painfully obvious if the dispenser is not working properly. The issue is that the rewind roller has so much friction that it is fighting itself and the rewound strip of paper can be so taught that it may even break. If you feel that your dispenser may not be operating properly, feel free to stop by and we will be glad to check it for you. My user name is my web address and all our contact information is there. If you like, just email us and we will contact you about it. Thanks, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by apakinc.comView Post
Hi Rita,
I am a 3M ATG 714 distributor located in Assonet too. The "Bad" dispensers didn't start shipping until early January in most cases so chances are that you have a good one. The symptom of a bad dispenser is the amount of "pull" required to apply the tape is enough to make your wrist hurt! It is painfully obvious if the dispenser is not working properly. The issue is that the rewind roller has so much friction that it is fighting itself and the rewound strip of paper can be so taught that it may even break. If you feel that your dispenser may not be operating properly, feel free to stop by and we will be glad to check it for you. My user name is my web address and all our contact information is there. If you like, just email us and we will contact you about it. Thanks, Dana
Wow, a neighbor in my own back yard! Glad to meet you. My ATG is working fine, just wasn't sure if they were recalling them. Do you also sell the tape here? I have 2 left & I'm making bridal shower invitations & wedding stuff & I'm going through almost all the tape that I ordered when I bought the gun. I'm going to be needing some soon.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Wow, a neighbor in my own back yard! Glad to meet you. My ATG is working fine, just wasn't sure if they were recalling them. Do you also sell the tape here? I have 2 left & I'm making bridal shower invitations & wedding stuff & I'm going through almost all the tape that I ordered when I bought the gun. I'm going to be needing some soon.
Hi Rita. Yes we sell the tape too. We usually stock the 1/4" in both the 908 Gold Acid free and the 924. Thanks, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, good to know if I run out I can get it in a pinch! Are you located in the blue building?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you are loading it correctly - see this video at the link below. Also, the tape is supposed to be right on the edge of the rollers. Every once in a while it will fall off but I've been using my ATG for years, and love it.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/3M/Sc...dTapesPage.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Default 3M is shipping ATG 714 Dispensers again!

Hello all!
We received a shipment of 714 dispensers from 3M today and spent the morning testing each dispenser just in case! We were able to ship a bunch today and hope to catch up soon. We didn't get our complete 3M shipment yet so I am still keeping my fingers crossed. But the mere fact that I did receive a shipment just when 3M said I would has certainly encouraged us.
I kept reading online that people were being told that 3M wasn't shipping these for 3-4 months and I was wondering just who was telling them that because 3M certainly wasn't telling us that!
Please tell your friends that the 714 guns ARE shipping from 3M again and that we will be filling our customers orders as quickly as possible as supply starts to catch up with demand.
And to Rita, Yes We are in the Blue building!
Dana from Apakinc.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

findtape.com is a good source for a gun that uses 1/2 inch tape they are much cheaper than the 3m guns. They also have 1/2 inch tape for around 2.10
I got mine from there and I use their tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the 700 and love it!! I use the 1/2 tape for everything I do, cards, scrapbooking, altered art...

smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by apakinc.comView Post
Hi Rita,
This is interesting. I just went through my first roll of tape in mine and especially at the end it was getting harder to roll and my hand was hurting. Is this not normal? Is it a defect?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Make sure you are loading it correctly - see this video at the link below. Also, the tape is supposed to be right on the edge of the rollers. Every once in a while it will fall off but I've been using my ATG for years, and love it.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/3M/Sc...dTapesPage.htm
this is where i got mine in feb of this year. i had never used one before so i thought i was just doing something wrong. it was so hard to use, my wrist hurt from it. it was so tight, and the tape kept coming off the roller. i thought that it was just the roll was bad, so i took it out and put in another and its doing the same, you can't get it to roll up or re-roll i guess for lack of a better word. i didn't know there was any problems. so thanks for this thread. i just emailed them in hopes they will tell what i can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Default Defective 714 dispensers

The trouble in the ATG 714 dispensers I have seen is that the "Take up reel" has too much friction.
It is designed to be able to only pull with enough force to take up the excess paper backing. The ones that are too tight actually pull so hard on the tape that it either breaks, or at the very least pulls on the roll of tape so hard that it distorts the plastic core that the tape comes on.
If you see your core collapsing, you have one of the "Bad" dispensers.
The easiest way to test if your dispenser is one of the "Bad" ones is to hold it with the cover open and the rubber roller facing to the left. If you have tape in the dispenser, remove it carefully to be replaced later. The "Take up reel" with the removable retainer should be on your right side. Hold the dispenser still and WITHOUT pulling the trigger, try to turn the take up reel just using the tip of your forefinger placed near the outside edge of the reel. You should be able to turn it this way with very little effort. It should resist a little and it might make some squeaking noises but that is normal.
The problem on the new dispensers I have seen seems to stem from some roughness on the plastic take up reel where it is intended to rotate on the stationary hub.
If you cannot turn the reel easily, try this before returning the dispenser.
Remove the take up reel tape retainer and set it aside.
Take a firm grip on the take up reel (without pulling the trigger) and turn the take up reel. You can turn it both directions or back and forth, the direction shouldn't matter.
You should find that the longer you do this, the more freely the take up reel should rotate. By doing this you will be wearing down the high spots where the reel rotates on the shaft that are causing the trouble. After some time doing this you should be able to rotate the reel with the force of just one finger. When it reaches this point you have corrected the issue and you should be able to use it normally!
Lubricating as described below should help also.
I know that not many of us throughly read the directions that come with these dispensers but if you do, you will see that 3M recommends that these dispensers should be lubricated once in awhile! They don't really explain the process well but they advise that you remove the reels from their shafts and lightly lubricate the shafts with white petroleum jelly. When you do remove the reels from the shafts you might see some black dust that is actually some plastic that has worn away. You can remove the dust with some rubbing alcohol. After it dries you can apply some petroleum jelly to the shafts and reassemble. The only area where you need to be a little careful of is the fact that there is a Grey, fiber washer about the diameter of a quarter under the take up reel. You do not need to remove it. But if you do when you are cleaning the area under the take up reel, let the alcohol evaporate.
Replace the washer, THEN apply the petroleum jelly to the shaft. This makes it easier to avoid getting jelly on that washer. If you do get some on it, wipe it off quickly using some alcohol. The washer is there to provide some friction to the take up reel and if it gets lubricated accidently, Your excess paper might not roll properly onto the take up reel.
If after you try all these steps your dispenser is still not working properly, I suggest that you call the 3M phone number on your instruction sheet. 3M has been excellent in responding to this issue and has been replacing the "Bad" dispensers and has also been replacing any tape you may have lost because of the dispenser problem. If you have lost the number, call the people that you purchased your dispenser from and they should either give you 3M's number or replace the dispenser themselves.
What I have recommended here is actually 3M standard practice to maintain your dispenser so it won't void your warrantee or anything. You may find that doing these simple steps will help you diagnose your dispenser and see if you actually do have a problem with your new dispenser. It may help you simply correct the problem so that you don't have to go through all the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a new one!
If all else fails, Call 3m. They are very familiar and helpful with the problem. Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I wish I had read this thread a few days ago because now it has me wondering. If framingsupplies isn't expected to ship the 714 for 3-4 months, then why do they have it as an available item on their website? I ordered one from them Friday night. So I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get a call this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

thank you thats what mine is doing just didn't really know how to describe it. the center core is collapsing and making all the tape roll off inside the gun its all worbally and throws off the trension
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchickadeeView Post
thank you thats what mine is doing just didn't really know how to describe it. the center core is collapsing and making all the tape roll off inside the gun its all worbally and throws off the trension
If you can follow my instructions you might be able to fix it yourself. But you are certainly one of the unlucky ones that got a bad dispenser! I have found that playing with them as I described has straightened them out and made them operate properly. If you find it doesn't get better, do call 3M! Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylengView Post
I wish I had read this thread a few days ago because now it has me wondering. If framingsupplies isn't expected to ship the 714 for 3-4 months, then why do they have it as an available item on their website? I ordered one from them Friday night. So I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get a call this week.
I ordered one from them about a week ago and received it on Friday!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by redapronView Post
I ordered one from them about a week ago and received it on Friday!
When I got home from work today, I had a shipping notification. It will be here on Saturday.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

My instructions did NOT say anything except be careful of repetative stress injuries. I tried to search the 3m website to find info about lubricating and removing the wheels and all, but came up with nothing. I do better with pictures than words- does anyone know where I can get a copy of the instructions for the lubricating?

Thanks,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Default ATG 714 Dispenser Instructions

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
My instructions did NOT say anything except be careful of repetative stress injuries. I tried to search the 3m website to find info about lubricating and removing the wheels and all, but came up with nothing. I do better with pictures than words- does anyone know where I can get a copy of the instructions for the lubricating?

Thanks,
Anne
Hi Anne,
The sheet you are referring to about repetitive stress injuries is not the instruction sheet.
The instruction sheet is a separate six page document provided by 3M in the box that includes all the information about your dispenser. If you don't have it, contact whoever sold you your dispenser and ask for it. The section I referred to is titled "Cleaning and Lubricating" The diagram of the parts of the dispenser show an exploded view and should make it easier for you.
The instruction sheet is also downloadable in PDF format from the 3M website.
Hope this helps! Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks!!

I will go to the 3m site and dl it now.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, it sounds like the problem you are having is the same as all the recalled ones. Contact 3M and let them know the troubles. I thought it was me at first and could not understand why everyone thought theses were so wonderful. Read on here about the troubles contacted 3M and just got a new one the other day. I love it!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how great it works now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Anyone have 3M's customer service number? I got my atg after the recall, but it still seems to be having the problems listed. I've been using it on mother's day gifts and about 2/3 of the way through the roll it get very difficult to pull the adhesive, enough so that my hand hurts from using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Anyone have 3M's customer service number? I got my atg after the recall, but it still seems to be having the problems listed. I've been using it on mother's day gifts and about 2/3 of the way through the roll it get very difficult to pull the adhesive, enough so that my hand hurts from using it.
Hi Niki,
If you look on the instruction sheet that came with your ATG-714 you will see the number for repair parts. You may call them with your issue and they will either help you or refer you to the customer service people. You may also find the customer service numbers at 3M.com.
Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, Dana!
Reply With Quote Likes