Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try the Cathie Allan, Position It tool?

It is featured in the June issue of Scrap & Stamp mag. Looks like something I may "need", heehee! Only thing I am having trouble getting my mind around is she was mostly using it so that she could stamp the same image repeatedly in one spot. She would stamp, paint in with Smooch, then stamp the image again on top to add back the details.

While that is cool, I am having trouble getting my mind around how to easily use it to, for instance, stamp a bench, and then stamp a person sitting on the bench. The reason I am wondering, is because she taped her paper down, and the positioning parts she seemed to always use in just the one corner. I wonder if you would be able to use this device as a traditional stamp positioner also.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just watched her YouTube video. I'd rather use the Stamp-a-Majig. Less pieces, easy to use, and you can stamp anywhere and aren't limited to where by the confines of that board or with having to purchase extra positioners to change position.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't but I am intrigued to try it... I like the idea of being able to go over and over and over again in the same place if needed... just can't do that with the same precision with the Stamp A Ma Jig.
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I always carried around my stamp-a-ma-jig, I loved it! I also used the large ruler that SU! used to sell - it broke apart in two peices. Most people used it for keeping their rollograph images straight, but it could be used as a large positioner too. It was OK.

Then I got Cathie's Position It. I do love it more than a stamp-a-ma-jig. It grabs the paper below better, and is less apt to get wiggled by your hand or fingers.

I keep the smaller corner/triangle in my 'essentials', along with the clear part. You can buy just the corner/triangle component if you are not going to layer images.

I do layer my images from often, especially if I want to go in and color using whatever technique, then top it off with a nice crisp black image, but not everyone bothers.

It's great to use whole when you've got a 'closed' stamp that would use two or more colors, like a jolly santa claus. 1st go in and stamp in in a pale pale grey. Then you can go in, color his outfit and cheeks red, clean your stamp, go back, color in another part, etc. When you're all done, you may want to go in one last time with the medium grey or black on the outlines to really define everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Are there other positioning tools out there? If anyone has used others, I'd love to know what you think of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used the stamp-a-majig and this tool and I really prefer this tool. You can stamp anywhere, not just on the board, but using the board definitely makes it a lot easier. I've used it to allow techniques I couldn't do otherwise, as well as for precision stamping. I found with the stamp-a-majig, the pieces move around a lot and it's easy to be "off". With the Position-it, the non-skid feet keep everything in place. I will be passing on my stamp-a-majig for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

This is neat. It's just like the old Stamp-O-Graph only it will hold larger pieces of paper. I have my old Stamp-O-Graph from 15 years ago and still use. Neat. I've subscribed to her You-Tube channel for tips and ideas. I also have a stamp-a-ma-jig, they are both useful tools, they do the same and different things.

I found a link to the old Stamp-O-Graph http://www.webstore.com/1063235,auction_id,bid_history
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I have one and took a workshop on it. I love it. I use it all the time because if I miss stamp I can fix it. Also it comes with an acrylic plate and you would just stamp what image you want with it positioned in the corner. Then slide your image where you want it on the paper and add your sub positioners to keep it place properly, then stamp, if you decide to add highlights ink your stamp accordingly and stamp again. You will be in the right place EVERYTIME. Take the time to study her youtube videos. I thought why do I need this. The more you become familiar with it the more indispensible it is. Honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadiebirdView Post
It is featured in the June issue of Scrap & Stamp mag. Looks like something I may "need", heehee! Only thing I am having trouble getting my mind around is she was mostly using it so that she could stamp the same image repeatedly in one spot. She would stamp, paint in with Smooch, then stamp the image again on top to add back the details.

While that is cool, I am having trouble getting my mind around how to easily use it to, for instance, stamp a bench, and then stamp a person sitting on the bench. The reason I am wondering, is because she taped her paper down, and the positioning parts she seemed to always use in just the one corner. I wonder if you would be able to use this device as a traditional stamp positioner also.
You use it like any other posiitioner but the way you secure your work means you definately won't slip out of postition. I don't know if Cathie has a contact # but I am sure you could ask questions through Scor-it website. She is a very versatile lady in all stamping things. She's be teaching art and stamping for over 30 years. Previously, Western Educations Centre in Edmonton AB until her Dad passed away.
Reply With Quote Likes