Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
But the price. :(
It's totally worth the price. I saved for 9 months to get it. I bought it on sale for $317 (Hard to find that price now) which included 2 mats, blades, blade holder, software, all necessary cables, etc. I figure with the price of an Expression PLUS USB cord PLUS SCAL or MTC software, I probably *saved* money by buying the Gazelle. I have yet to be disappointed whatsoever with my Gazelle. I recommend it all the time. Its Dee Ann's fault I bought it (I love her for it) and I am really, really glad I have it. I use it nearly every day.

I love it so much that I would literally pay full price for it, and there are very few things in this world I am willing to pay full price for. The Gazelle is at the top of the short list.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cricut expression and love it....when I use it. I don't use it all the time. I have a big shot pro too. My cricut might sit on the shelf for a month at a time...but when I use it, I love it!!!! I don't use MTC or anything else like that cause I am computer illiterate...but I have tons of carts that my sister and I share between us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I understand that it's worth it. But if I don't have the $$ I just don't. There's no way to make it materialize. When I bought the E I hadn't even heard of the Gazelle.
Quite true! I've had things like that, I know they're worth it, but I just can't do it. If I hadn't learned about the Gazelle or Pazzles I probably would have bought the Expression and quite honestly probably liked it! The good thing is there are so many machines at all different price points, so there is something out there for most people, and what they want to do. As much as I love my Gazzy I am buying my sister a Cricut E, because its the best machine for HER.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my cricut - I've had it for a few months and use it all the time with SCAL. I've only 1 cartridge - TBBM and after using SCAL I just don't feel like using any carts. I like the flexibility of the SCAL. I use freely available SVGs or design my own. So I've loads of fun with Cricut!

Of course I've never used any other electronic die cutting machine so I can't compare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #45  
Inking Addict

I like my cricut stuff. That being said, I have never tried anything else. Heck, I didn't even know any other cutters existed!!! Since I have so much money already invested ( I only own about 15 carts and consider that a HUGE amount of $$), I will continue to use my expression. I am wanting to get SCAL or MTC but I am not that computer savvy so I'm not sure I want to deal with the pain of beating my head against the wall while I learn it.

Should have done my homework!! The carts are not really my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to The Cynergist

I have to say that I didn't even know there was a such thing as a personal cutter until I saw a Cricut infomercial. When I first saw one they retailed for 500$ at Michael's, so I didn't think I'd ever own one. When they went on sale for 300$, my Honey bought me one for Christmas. That was two years ago.

I finally took it out of the box a couple of months ago, and I must say I was disappointed right off the bat to find it was strictly cartridge based. I knew about the cartridges from the commercial, but I thought this whole design studio and computer connection meant I'd have more freedom. When I found out that I was still tied to cartridges which didn't really have any appeal for me either in design or price; 90 bucks a pop at Michael's. I felt like that pricing was just waaaaay out of line; especially to be tied down to designs I didn't even like that much. So back in the box it went.

Imagine how happy I was when I heard about Sure Cuts A Lot. I wouldn't have to give blood every time I wanted a different font. But, now I'm finding out that everything for the Cricut is over priced. A 7 piece tool kit costs 24$ at Walmart and the vinyl is 10$ for 2 measley sheets. I have found much, much less expensive options for everything, but still, now it's a matter of principle. If I had known that there were other personal cutters, I wouldn't have a cricut now.

I feel like Provo Craft is greed motivated. Chaining us to expensive cartridges, which even at the 25$ mark I've seen mentioned can add up if you want a good selection of fonts. And how about the fact that you don't even get everything you need to get going on a project. Granted my Cricut was 200$ less than the initial retail price. Still, you'd think you would at least get both blades, the tools, and a couple of sheets of vinyl and card stock to get you going; Even more so if I had paid 500$ I got one blade and a couple of cartridges. Fat lot of good if I still need to go shopping for everything else. To me that's just plain stingy.

And now this ridiculous law suit that prohibits the use of 3rd party software claiming copyright infringement just sickens me. How is it copyright infringement when there hasn't been anything copied from the cricut? The software isn't a cartridge and it can't be design copyright since we make our own or buy someone else's designs to use with it. I have version 2 of Sure Cuts A Lot so I can still use it with my cricut, but given the settlement, now I'd feel like a criminal using it.

The other thing I'm bummed about is seeing all the cutting blades the Pazzles has. Why wouldn't the cricut offer a selection like that? I did see a tip on Youtube though that you can emboss with the cricut by turning the blade upside down. But I'm thinking about buying one of the Pazzles blades to see if it works in the Cricut.

So that's my rant. If I had it to do over, I'd buy something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

I forgot to mention that the cricut I have is the Expressions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this thread is a little old, but have you all heard about this?? I'm saving my pennies...

IntroduZing: The Klic-N-Kut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #49  
Cardstock Collector

Yeah I've seen that Klik n Kut I wonder what accessories are available for that. I can't seem to find any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

Another update... Silhouette just introduced the Cameo at CHA... it will cut 12x12 and will be shipping sometime in October and will retail for $299.

I don't hate the Cricut... the Silhouette just fits my needs better. I have used my Expression ONCE (that's kinda embarrassing LOL) and never used the Gypsy. I use my Silhouette just about every day and I love their Silhouette Studio software... it is really easy. You can also now use MTC with Silhouette SD (including print and cut).

Last edited by Cinnistew; 07-31-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Well, I'm not a Cricut hater or any other tool hater for that matter lol! When I bought my Cricut Expression it was mainly because I didn't have to use a computer ( I don't have a computer at home). I didn't really do that much research about which cutter to get, but I did like that one for that reason. It took me a long time to decide to get it because it was pricey, but actually, its a good thing it took me so long because I ended up finding it on sale for 150 at CreativeXpress.com! So right away I bought it. I actually really like it too, I really scout the interenet or coupons for the cartridges so I never pay more than 18 for a cartridge. I only have maybe 5 or 6 carts, but I love the ones I have. I've used my machine for a whole of crafting things! If for reason, in the future I decide to get rid of it and get something different, ill probably do more research and hopefully by then have a computer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Another update... Silhouette just introduced the Cameo at CHA... it will cut 12x12 and will be shipping sometime in October and will retail for $299.

I don't hate the Cricut... the Silhouette just fits my needs better. I have used my Expression ONCE (that's kinda embarrassing LOL) and never used the Gypsy. I use my Silhouette just about every day and I love their Silhouette Studio software... it is really easy. You can also now use MTC with Silhouette SD (including print and cut).
gonna have to save for this one, I've had my E for years now. I think 3 years, and works good but just like the Silhoutte so much haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Nope, don't hate the cricut, but would never purchase it either. My friend bought it, so I borrowed it from her when she went on a month long vacation (so jealous!!! but that's another story). I tried to do as much as I could with it in the short time I had it. I have plenty of space in my craft room to leave it set up all the time, plenty of storage space for all the cartridges. I am a scrapbooker first, card maker second, so would have plenty of uses for it. Loved all the different shapes I could make, particularly letters. What turned me off was the relatively poor quality of the cut for small items or those with intricate cuts. Even with a brand new blade, there were small burrs left on the cutouts that drove me crazy! Compared to the very precise cuts I get from the metal dies from the various companies, I was quite disappointed in that aspect of the Cricut. Because of that, I could never justify to myself the cost of the cricut and the various cartridges. But, different strokes for different folks - the friend that lent it to me? Loves, loves, loves it, and she can't quite see my fascination with metal dies - too much work according to her, and the limited sizes makes her crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #54  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

OK, here comes my weirdo reply......I do paper crafts because I like the feel of paper and creating something from it with my hands......I use the CB to emboss and occasionally diecut with the topnote die (that's my only one). I don't do large multiples of anything (six is max for me) and my craft room is small----the use of the electronic cutter--no matter what the brand would take away some of my enjoyment......
To me it is just like buying your bulletin boards all ready to punch out and hang for a classroom---I always made mine from scratch ( ok my Para made most of them but they were my ideas).......sooooooooooooo for me the slow and hands on way is my favorite-----but to each his own and I don't preach that you must do it any certain way.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an older KNK Element and absolutely love it. I have friends who have Cricuts and while I wouldn't say I "hate" the Cricut, I can say I don't understand the appeal, but to each his own. I love that I can cut any image I make or find. I can cut any of the Cricut images if I wanted. I can make a mat for any of my stamps. Was there a learning curve? Yes, but I'm loving the process. Are there times I'm frustrated? Yes, but I hear that from Cricut owners too. I think that each person needs to find what works for them. The end result is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes