Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone else a Cricut-hater?

No offense to anyone!! Haha. Just a bit of fun. :p :p

But seriously, I have a Silhouette SD, and just cannot understand the appeal of a Cricut. I do understand that it cuts different materials, and of course the Cricut Cake, but I am talking purely card-making/scrapbooking here.

I have never gotten so much use out of a single tool in my life as I have from my Silhouette in the past year and a half.
You can see just a FEW of the things I have made using it on my blog: cutethingsimade.blogspot.com

Just wondering if anyone else has one...and LOVES it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know! I bought my CraftRobo over 3 years ago and up until a couple months ago hadn't had to spend another dime on anything for it (I finally had to buy a new blade). When I researched all the different cutting machines, this was the best one for the "home crafter". I'm not sure about the new cricut machines, but I don't like the idea that you have to buy software on top of the expense of the machine to design your own stuff. The SD machine didn't come out until a year after I bought mine, but I don't need the portability, so I don't need the SD feature. I love my CraftRobo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

And the thought of storing all those cartridges makes me shake in my shoes! I need the storage space in my house for other things...like those shoes, haha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,917 Likes on 2,185 Posts

Bought a Cricut...sold a cricut. I won't say I hated it. In fact, sometimes I miss it. However, with crafting space at a premium, I just didn't have the time to put it away and pull it out, plug it in, over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

love, love, love my silhouette. I use it for card making, scrapbooking, school projects, vinyl home projects, gift making, and this weekend I am going to try cutting freezer paper and using it as an iron on stencil...I also want to try the rhinestones and the fabric interfacing...every surface in my house will be effected by the silhouette...watch out DD and DH!

Best investment I have ever made...if mine "died" tomorrow...I would rush order one to the house without a second thought!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched all the cutting machines for a year before finally purchasing my Bosskut Gazelle. A crafter here is the one who told me about it. I was all set to purchase the Pazzles.

I have to say I totally LOVE the Gazelle. Love. It. No cartridges to buy (and store), I love how it works, I love how I can cut the thinnest vellum to chipboard...I love that it cuts a true 12x12 sheet. I love the software (Funtime III) that came with it and the features it offers...yet I can also cut from Adobe Illustrator if I want. I use it for EVERYTHING, vinyl and home decor, altered projects, boxes, bags, cards, scrapbooking, stenciling, rhinestone t-shirts...you name. Plus the print-and-cut is wonderful and has made my crafting life SOO much easier!

Also, their tech support is absolutely THE BEST tech support I have ever witnessed for *any* electronic machine I have had. The access to the support forum is FREE for ALL Gazelle owners (unlike the Pazzles where you have to pay monthly). People are always willing and ready to help with any issues I have...even the "user error" ones!

I have not for one second regretted getting it, in fact the more I use it the more I love it. I cut with it nearly every single day. I still use my Big Kick but boy am I glad I have my Gazzy!

I can't see myself ever purchasing a Cricut or cartridge based machine. The Gazelle is the best fit *for me*. I don't "hate" Cricuts...I see the appeal they offer to people. I just don't think its the best machine for me and what I want my machine to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Nope; I love my Cricut. No machine is perfect, but the Cricut suits my needs just fine. I scrapbook, make cards, and do many other crafts with it. To each her own, but I can't say that I actually "hate" something unless I've tried it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have one of the original Silhouettes and I would never buy a die cutter that requires all the extra cartridges----seems like a total waste of money.

However, I think the appeal is/was for people that didn't think they weren't computer savvy enough for the ones that hook up to the computer.

My Mom has a Cricut (first the original and now the expression) and she loves the ease of it. Although she's moderately computer literate she was a bit intimidated by the software and how complicated it might be for her.

So do I hate the Cricut....no....in fact, the 12 x 12 size of the Expression is actually quite appealing to me and there are some super cute image cartridges.

I do however shutter at the thought of how much $$$ my Mom has invested in that thing. I'm guessing she conservatively has 30 cartridges and the Gypsy. But to each their own I guess and she uses it all.the.time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

I have a Cricut and I love it. I'm extremely computer literate, use Adobe Illustrator and all kinds of fun programs. I chose a Cricut because crafting is supposed to be a stress reliever, (at least for me). I didn't want to take the time to learn a new program and pull things in to Illustrator and futz with them to make them perfect. I'm just too lazy!
The Cricut fulfills my needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have a cricut and the only thing I hate is that I have never had the time required to set it up and play for long periods of time (slow learner) the amount of info and other softeware is unbelievable. I don't mind storing extra cartridges but I hear some amazing things about the silouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't even know there where other cutters out there when I bought my circuit, my husband and I saw it on an infomercial and he wanted it to cut vinyl for signs he makes. So we bought it. He has never used it but I use it all the time with SCAL. Just the free SCAL nesties cuts I have has saved enough money for it to pay for itself. I have only a few cartridges because of SCAL.

I don't know if any other cutters are better or not because I don't look and compare them. I have what I have and am satisfied with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I have days where I despise my Cricut and days when I love it. The days I despise it are when I want to make something bigger and I only have the V1 Cricut because that's what I can afford.

I got real tired of dragging my paper out to my computer when I hooked the Cricut up to use MTC software. So my DD needed a laptop for her college stuff and that works much better. However I rarely use my Cricut. Sometimes I can hear it whispering to me in a lonely little voice "Please, use me. Use me. You know you want to."

I'd actually like to get the Expression but I can't afford to do that right now. Maybe it wouldn't whisper. But then what would I do with my Cricut? Kick it to the curb? And I have have 7 cartridges. I don't like the majority of the cartridges at all. Frankly I don't like a lot of the images on the SD cards for the Silhouette either.

Sometimes I think I should just sell my Cricut and all the cartridges and get a Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not really a Cricut hater, but I just don't have the time to really play with it to get it to work like it should. I can never get the sizes right for the cards and envelopes, I don't understand some of the real size and all that stuff. I just wanna turn it on and cut! Then just when it is going good, the darn paper comes loose and messes up what I was cutting, or something happens. I still love my Cuttlebug, my Big Shot and the dies! Punches too! So much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh no I love my cricut, and especially now that I have SCAL and GYPSY I use it alot!
Though i would love to have the silhoutte too, but thats just cause I'm addicted to new tools haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

well i am not sure how you can say you hate the cricut or don't understand the appeal of it. i have had mine for years (several of them actually as i keep upgrading) and i absolutely LOVE it. i personally don't understand the appeal of having to mess around with the computer just to cut out the designs i want. BLECH! i am in NO WAY tech challenged and hubby is a senior microsoft engineer so there is no shortage of tech savvy in our household! i can easily do with my computer and cricut what other machines do with their computers but i rarely bother because i feel like it is such a pain in the rear.

now i can't say how i feel about any other cutters because i have never bothered to look at them and they hold no interest for me. my cricut is everything i want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Love my Cricut Expression! I work online, so I really don't like to use my computer for crafting. Tons of cartridges are available on sale different places for $25 or under. It's also easy for my kids to use. I'm very content with mine. Glad there's something for everyone out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I'd totally disagree.

Loathe my craftrobo with a passion as it's slow (3 times slower on a single pass) and useless at cutting decent weight cardboard. Love my cricut and use it soley with scal so in 3 years I've never fancied let alone bought a cartridge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

"i personally don't understand the appeal of having to mess around with the computer just to cut out the designs i want."

cerridwen3301,
Which cutter are you talking about ? I have a Silhouette and all I do is open up the software, click on the design that I want from my library and then cut it.Is it the opening of the software that you are referring to? It really is just 1 click of my mouse.
If I want to print and cut or trace designs I need to do some computer work but for straight up cutting, there is no more to it than putting in a cartridge.
:-) Barbara

ETA - I am not a Cricut hater but a Silhouette lover. I believe that there is a die cut machine for everyone! :-)

Last edited by barbara32ca; 03-05-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have had a Wishblade since March 2006 (very similar/same as Silhouette). It's been a really reliable and wonderful cutter. I've been able to create my own images to cut, so no need to buy anything (except the occasional blade...)

Recently I got a Gazelle which is 12x12 and cuts heavier material. Love it!

Thankful that I don't need to keep investing in things to use with the cutters, for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I have a Craft Robo that don't use as much as I should, my friend has the Cricut and loves hers so between us we can always get what we want cut in just the right size. Having said that if my died I think I would just buy more dies for my Bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
"i personally don't understand the appeal of having to mess around with the computer just to cut out the designs i want."

cerridwen3301,
Which cutter are you talking about ? I have a Silhouette and all I do is open up the software, click on the design that I want from my library and then cut it.Is it the opening of the software that you are referring to? It really is just 1 click of my mouse.
If I want to print and cut or trace designs I need to do some computer work but for straight up cutting, there is no more to it than putting in a cartridge.
:-) Barbara

ETA - I am not a Cricut hater but a Silhouette lover. I believe that there is a die cut machine for everyone! :-)
what i don't want to do is bring my computer to my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Can you use the Silhouette to cut out files you buy from other web sites? Or do you have to buy them from their digital store?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my Silhouette SD. I have a laptop and I just take it into my craft room and pug in my Silhouette so that part's a breeze for me. I LOVE not buying or storage cartridges and only paying $1 for each image!

I love it even more now that I learned how to convert svg files, you need to use Inkscape, separate the images and save as a dxf file and then open it and save in the Silhouette, it took a bit for me to figure it out but now I've got it down it's pretty easy. I bought some really cute svg files from Lettering Delights recently.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Default I haven't read anyone's reply yet.....

but I have to admit that I am having a terrible time incorporating my Cricut Create into cardmaking.

I think for me, I just need to see some ideas. Have gone to the gallery here and found some, but of course, they used cartridges that I don't have!!!!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I have both the Cricut and a Silhouette and I use them both depending on what I am cutting and making. I have the Expression for larger stuff. I do wish the Silhouette would cut 12 x 12. If it ever dies I would probably look at buying a Gazelle. Hopefully I would be able to find a way to get all my cutting images to work with it.

Both have been durable, reliable machines that do what I want them to. I like them both.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Well heck! I'll jump in here too. I started out with a Wishblade (blue) no auto trace at all. Then I invested in a KNK Groove. Great cutter, even greater software. I will admit I find the 12 x 12 cutting mat intimidating. The Wishblade was so simple. Color coded blades...Now the KNK has a "adjustable" blade legnth and I find it extremely hit and miss. This is where the Cricut comes in. I was able to purchase one (the personal) on Black Friday for $59. I love that the mat is only 6 x 12 and the blade legnth is set in numbers. No guess work really. And actually, once in awhile, I really dont want to be bothered "designing" something and like to just pop in a cartridge. I do have both SCAL and MTC and I find them both easy to use and they have pretty sophisticated features for the price. I too couldn't "get" the whole cartridge thing, but if you buy just the ones that excite you and couple it with the many free or very reasonably priced files online you have the best of both worlds.....just my opinion.

Holly

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmmm? You certainly hit upon a "sore" point with me today! I have been trying to use my Cricut today, but the "Cricut Creep" is driving me crazy! Trying to cut the same shape from different materials. They are suppose to be the same size...NOT! Please don't suggest another cutter...my DH would disown me! Whaaaaa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
what i don't want to do is bring my computer to my craft room.
:-) Got it! I shouldn't assume that everybody has their computer in the craft room.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

I have had my Cricut Expression for almost a year and just started playing with it A LOT! DH got it for me as a birthday gift and I didn't get around to playing with it until now. I have been getting most of my carts for $20 or less. All I can say for those who say they don't have to time to figure it out...let those who have figured it out teach you in super short videos on You Tube. I'm thinking about getting SCAL or a Gypsy. Both about the same price now.

I work full-time, keep my family feed and house clean and go to grad school. If I can make a little time to do it anyone can. I always say it is really a matter of HOW you want to spend your time. If you don't want to learn it. You won't make the time. If you do, you will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I bought the Silhouette and sold it a year later. It barely cut text-weight paper for me and would only cut partway through 65-lb. card stock.

I researched them all and I had a friend check out the E-craft at CHA last year. One of my favorite things is to use a sandwich of double-sided tape/card stock/double-sided tape (I like stickers and glitter!). The Gazelle cut it like butter. I love, love my machine...cheaper than the E-craft....no cartridges to purchase...can convert any cutting file and...I can make my own cutting files!

Highly recommend it to anyone and the tech support is the best there is.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I used to sell Wishblades. I'm as frugal as they come. At the time, I could sell Wishblades and make enough money to keep me in SB supplies.

I love my Wishblade....the old blue one.

Then a couple of years ago, the Cricut Expression was available in a bundle with 4 carts and design studio for $189. I got it for my birthday.

I LOVE my Cricut E. I LOVE my Wishblade.

If you are not particularly computer savvy and don't own a laptop....the Cricut is for you. If you love your computer and are a Font junkie....the other cutters will fit your bill.

Cost of craftrobo built machines evens out because you don't have to buy carts.

Great to have so many options for all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I understand now what you guys are saying about not wanting to use a computer.
I actually work in tech support and coding, so the thought of not wanting to use a computer honestly just didn't occur to me, haha.
I understand the love for Cricuts a bit better now, though I will never leave my Silhouette. And yes, when they make one that cuts 12x12 and/or chipboard, I will be in heaven!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was not a hater...but I had one with ALL the goodies..even the wheeled bag for it. 36 cartridges and lots of extra mats and blades...I just was not getting it out to use because I had to do just that...get it out. I sold the whole lot and got a Slice..I like it so much better.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Love my bugs - have the baby bug (Dec 2007) and the E (Black Friday 2009) and just got the Slice last week. I watched the infomercial for the original cricut for nearly a year before I took the plunge. I kept it in the box, and when I did use it had to remove the stryofoam and padding....used it and put it all back. Then, after about 6 months or more, had the brilliant idea to put it on a little computer stand I had an old TV on. Moved it beside my craft desk (not enough space on the desk for it) and started using it all the time. I have about 20 carts but only paid full price for one: Mickey and Friends. I use it the least because the cuts are so intricate. I found several carts on sale for $15. at Walmarts clearance racks (maybe 5-6 over a period of a year) and bought some from the message board...and the rest on sale at Michaels. The Expression now sits on my little computer stand, and the poor baby bug sits on the shelf and only gets used when my granddaughters are here a few times a month. LOVE them LOVE them LOVE them. I'm hoping to catch onto my new Slice (birthday gift in February) so I can say I love it too. Just can't get a hang on the glue for the mat...and some of the cuts seem to be wonky...but, as with anything else, it's new and I just need practice.

Mac
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemantisView Post
I understand now what you guys are saying about not wanting to use a computer.
I actually work in tech support and coding, so the thought of not wanting to use a computer honestly just didn't occur to me, haha.
I understand the love for Cricuts a bit better now, though I will never leave my Silhouette. And yes, when they make one that cuts 12x12 and/or chipboard, I will be in heaven!
The Bosskut Gazelle does a TRUE 12x12 paper, and it cuts chipboard, plus does the print and cut No carts needed, solely computer based. It's incredible!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
But the price. :(
I understand what you mean about the price of the Gazelle or any of the other high end die cutter's. I own a Gazelle too. When I bought the Gazelle the Expressions was running the same price as the Gazelle. The Expressions was a little cheaper. Now, you can snag E's for under $175. I really do understand what you mean about price. I am frugal, frugal, frugal.

The Gazelle is dropping in price around the $350 range. I know that is still gulp to many, especially with gas prices and grocery prices.

If you are looking for a computer aided cutter the Gazelle & Pazzles are the route to go for cutters under 600 grams per pressure. You could buy a Cougar too but we are talking around $700 and 950 grams per pressure.

Pazzles had a deal running join the Pazzles room for two years at $20 a month and you can get the Pazzles for around $150 that included S&H.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

I don't hate my cricut but I think if I would have known about the other types of machines out there I probably wouldn't have bought it. Should have done my homework!!!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just telling hubby of these changes, so sad. trying to see what else i can buy too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Does anyone know if the eCraft works with MTC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Does anyone know what the lawsuits mean? I have very few carts because I have SCAL which is pretty much the only way I use my cricut. If I already have a cricut and use SCAL they can't take it off me can they? pleeeease tell me that won't happen, otherwise I have a cricut for sale on ebay soon LOL!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes