Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise Needed: All In One Printers

My husband is gung-ho about getting an all in one printer. I have heard that they do lots of functions but don't do any of them well. I need to have the BEST quality for printing my photos for scrapbooking!!! I am looking for anyone who has an 'all in one' and can give me some advise!!

The printer he wants is the Canon MX850.

THANK YOU!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have experience with the HPs. The quality of printing is decent but in my experience they don't last long. My SILs have purchased them about once a year. I know because I get called to set the thing up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I guess it depends on the $$$ you're willing to spend...if you're looking for a good deal for a smaller amount of money, (ie. under $200), then Canon Pixma printers are good.

No matter what you buy, you're going to be paying A LOT for ink refills over time, especially if you're planning on printing photos on a regular basis.

Hope that helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would appreciate feedback on this also. My all-in-one is about 4 years old. Still works, can do pictures so-so in a pinch, but because of the cost of ink, I use other developing services and probably will continue to do so, but would love to know that I could get a decent picture if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree about the ink you are going to go through! My suggestion would be to get a nice new All in One but have your pictures printed elsewhere. I use COSTCO they are about 8 cents a copy, you creat an account on line and upload your pictures to Costc's Photo lab. Then you just go pick them up. Suoer easy and very costeffective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I just got a new computer, and with it came an all in one printer,scanner,copier. I have only printed text things so far. Even though it has photo printing ability, I plan to continue taking my digital disk to the kodak picture maker and have them done that way. It's not very expensive, I'm not wasting my ink and I know I will get a permanent photo.

One advantage to the all in one is of course, space saving. A disadvantage is that if say, the scanner went bad, you would have to replace the whole unit even if the printer and copier still worked (if you used the scanner of course).

Even though mine came with a package, I saw the price of it by itself and it was only about $100. So really, seems like a good deal to get all those things together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Cannon MP160 all in one and I really like it. I didn't spend big bux on it but I do know that usually the more $$$ the better.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I have an HP Officejet 6310 (does 4 functions). It's worked very well for me for about 3 years now and prints photos very well.

I prefer to print my own photos which I feel saves time and money. That way I also get to fix the photo as needed and print what ever size I choose. I wanted a printer so that I could print myself, so I don't understand why so many other people prefer to have a printer, but not use it? The ink in your printer will dry up if not used for a period of time.......that would be a waste of money.

Yes, it is true that if one function of the All-in-One were to go bad, you would be purchasing an additional machine. But as said previously, it does save space. I also have to add that I do have 2 other printers that I use also. None is a specific photo printer but does print photos that suit me.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 609 Likes on 249 Posts

I love my HP 1510 from mid-2007. It doesn't have fax but it prints great and so far we've had no problems. I would like to buy a printer just for photos to avoid the format and ink changes someday and it will be an HP, too.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

If I remember correctly the MX850 is a hair newer than the Canon MX700??

Either way they are very similar...and I have the MX700. We love it...it can be networked through the router so we can print to it from all the computers in our house wirelessly. I can print any photo up to 8x10 and have it turn out as crisp and perfectly colored as any I have ever had done professionally. The fax is great because it has a feeder so my husband can do multiple-page documents and walk away as it gets going.

I really love it...but I only have two complaints:

#1: You can't scan slides or film.

#2: It won't let you run photo paper through the front feeder, where we have it located, the back feeder is harder to load...so this might not matter at all to you!

The ink cartridges actually last pretty long, I was hesitant about getting a Canon, since I have always been an Epson fan (generic ink is $2/cart for Epson and HIGH quality) but I have been ok with how often we have to replace ink carts...my husband uses the fax and print daily and it is still going strong after almost a year. Good for us...since I usually upgrade printers every year and I haven't even been LOOKING lately!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have an HP and really like it eventhough the ink can be pricey. My sister recently bought a kodak that is an all in one with a dedicated 4x6 paper tray. The cartridges for it are between 10 and 15 dollars. I have used it several times and would really like to have one of them since it has the paper tray that you can load with 4x6 paper and not have to switch paper out for printing different items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I just got an HP all in one recently, too, so I hope it lasts. We won't be super heavy users, but heavy enough. I think it's super easy to set up. I had to get it because it was one of the few that my Mac laptop is compatible with, wirelessly. I set it up wirelessly myself, too. I am really happy with it so far!

I will tell you this..... I had hoped to get the cartridges refilled at Walgreens. NO SUCH LUCK. The guy told me they don't do ANY all in one cartridges! :(

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have owned 2 all in ones and love them!

Before I purchased my second one, I talked to the computer guy at our office and he told me that the higher the price of the printer,the cheaper the cost for the ink.

I did a lot of research before I purchased my second all in one and ended up buying a Lexmark which was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I only have one ink cartridge and it's about 20 to replace.

My old unit need 2 ink cartridges at 35 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Dell all in one printer/fax/scanner/copier. It is great. You can even put memory cards from cameras in it and print the pictures w/o ever using a computer. The cartridges are a bit pricey but they do last a long time.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Thankyou for the info on the Canon MX700. I have been looking at this one and you just sold me...... Are you happy with the individual ink cartridges or shouldnt that be a consideration regarding my decision.

Holly

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Canon MP600 all in one, bought at Costco about two years ago and really like it. It prints photos nicely, although depending on your preferences, you may still prefer to have them processed and printed elsewhere. It's a hardy machine, scans and copies well, and my favorite thing about it is that it prints documents double-sided.

I love ours!

Jackbuilt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
I have an HP and really like it eventhough the ink can be pricey. My sister recently bought a kodak that is an all in one with a dedicated 4x6 paper tray. The cartridges for it are between 10 and 15 dollars. I have used it several times and would really like to have one of them since it has the paper tray that you can load with 4x6 paper and not have to switch paper out for printing different items.
I have the Kodak All in One - it was fabulous when I first got it (and the ink cartridges are dirt cheap) - printed really well and everything. At about the one year mark it bit the dust - the only thing I can use it for now is scanning.

I now use the Kodak to scan and my old HP all in one to print (black and white text only). I got the HP all in one from Costco a couple of years ago and it bit the dust after about a year of use too.

My theory is that if it's a cheap all in one/printer ($100-200 range) it won't last that long - even though the print quality on them has really improved.

I've been saving up to get a better quality machine as I am BEYOND frustrated having two all in one printers hooked up in my tiny office space and both machines only perform one function each!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Default All- In -One

I have all Epson. They have great products and you can replace ink colors seperately as they run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have gone through about 4 all in ones...the problem is...they all have problems. My DH and I finally settled on a mono-laser fax/copier/scanner/printer. My biggest complaint about any inkjet is the cost of the cartridges. I found myself cursing anyone faxing me junk as I watched my hard-earned pennies get tossed into the garbage! lol.

I have actually found that the best results for the price per print that the little ol kodak easy share printer is the best for 4x6 prints...anything larger I send to the lab. There is no comparison between inkjet and dye-sub printer (easy share is dye-sub). and the 140 packs are only about $40 at target, which puts the prints at about $.29 per print. And the prints are excellent quality, fade proof and water resistant....which anyone who has an inkjet can attest to, if you get an inkjet print wet....you might as well toss the print.

but if I haven't talked you out of it and you want a comprehensive review, visit reviews.cnet.com/printers. They have most new printers at the site and have thoroughly tested them.

Last edited by Qtpy; 10-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: wrong review site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

oh...and I second epson if you insist on an inkjet printer. Their quality of prints are superior and the cartridges are among some of the cheapest.

I also have a color laser, however it does not print well on photo paper, however plain paper is outstanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I just bought an Epson Workforce 500 printer (all in one). So far, so good. Ink as always is terribly expensive but found Costco has the best price for ink. I got it from Fry's electronics. The pictures are very nice but I would save a lot of money by using my costco account at about 8 cents a picture. You can edit on Costco's site and works out great. I tried to do vellum on the printer and it would not do it. With the thinness of the paper it kept giving me an error code telling me I was out of paper. It won't do overheads either. I have some cheap labels and tried to run them through and it again would not work--I'm thinking a thick higher quality would probably work. I looked at the Epson site and it confirmed that it will not do overheads/vellum. My old printer (not all in one) that died would print these things. So, that is a thing to consider. Truthfully, I haven't used the copier, scanner or fax yet. My hubby was going to need it for work and then things changed so it is now mine. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
Thankyou for the info on the Canon MX700. I have been looking at this one and you just sold me...... Are you happy with the individual ink cartridges or shouldnt that be a consideration regarding my decision.

Holly
I prefer the individual inks...and I prefer the 3 colors + black over 6 + black. For us it's a must-have because my husband works for DirecTV and all his work orders are blue with a little black. We go through two or 3 cyan and black before we go through one magenta & yellow.

I bought our printer based on cnet reviews...as another poster mentioned, it's a great place to find professional unbiased reviews on almost any printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Default Printing on Cardstock?

We also are looking to upgrade our printer. I told my husband one of the things the new one MUST do is print on cardstock as our current printer won't (too thick).

Does anyone have a printer that doesn't work with CS? Alternatively, if someone can tell me the dimention of the CS that is relevant (thickness) and then we can check the specs of the printer for what thickness it can handle, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Printer

Just make sure it says it can print on cardstock. I have found that if there is a tray in front and it has to feed it up with a roller and then out (My HP All in one) that the roller eventually gets dirty and it smudges your paper down the road. Most Epson and Canon printers the cardstock drops from the back and the printing is done on the side facing you and comes straight out. Much cleaner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I just got the Espon Artison 700 last week. It is AWESOME. The print quality is great and prints fast even at the best quality. You can print in a variety or sizes and even directly on to CDs. The paper tray will hold both regular size paper and photo paper at the same time so you don't ahve to keep switching and reloading it. It has 6 separate ink colors so you only have to replace the one that runs out. It is an all-in-one so it has the scanner as well, which features a touch up mode and mode to restore old photos. You can print directly from the printer or from your computer. And another thing I really like is that it is Wi-Fi enabled. So, I have it set up where I can print from my desk top or laptop and don't have any cords with it plugged into anything. I can put it anywhere in the house and it works with any computer. It also has the capability of printing writing paper and graph paper, which is fun for a variety of projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Anyone else out there with recommendations? After reading this post, I am leaning toward the Epson or Canon. I've had HP's for many years but have been disappointed in my last one. Time for a change, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

ive had my hp for 6 years and its still going strong. what i like is you just pop the memory card in and print away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I have the Dell 968w. I do not print photos. It does not seem to print bright colors like I wanted when using the RGB list to color-match the SU! colors. Here's an example where my brilliant blue star isn't so brilliant. Working on a Christmas gift for several family members by LeahsCreations at Splitcoaststampers At least it didn't clash, so I still used it.

So, while it scans well, prints on cardstock well, and works well for everyday use, I would not recommend it since it doesn't print bright colors well.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuAnnView Post
Anyone else out there with recommendations? After reading this post, I am leaning toward the Epson or Canon. I've had HP's for many years but have been disappointed in my last one. Time for a change, I think.
I think the newer Canon (MX850) received a great rating from C-Net and they have it at Amazon.com for $158. and a few cents. GREAT price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my new HP photosmart all in one printer. I have scanned and made copies of quite a few older photos lately and the quality is amazing. It has individual ink colors vs one color cartridge which I really like so you're only filling the color that is empty and not wasting ink. I wanted to ensure my photos had longevity so I did some research and the HP if you use the premium paper isn't supposed to fade for >75 years. It wasn't very expensive either...I forget the exact amount because we bought a laptop and a bunch of paper and extra ink at the same time. My printer is wireless too so we can print from any of our laptops which is great for the dds and their homework. Hth ANDREA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

I had to buy a new PC....loaded w/ Vista. My HP LaserJet 3100 is not supported by HP to work w/ Vista.

I'm telling ya, they don't make printers like that anymore. I haven't had a minutes problem w/ it. It didn't have a flat scanner and it was B/W so I never used it. Who knew in 98 that I would need a flat top scanner?

I bought a Canon all in one. I was concerned about the toner cost....the fella said I wouldn't notice that much of a diff....and I didn't check the prices btn the Brother and Canon. The price on the Canon $30 cheaper and it had two sided printing. That was the kicker for me.

I just don't care for inkjet printers. I can upload my stuff to Walgreens, they print and I pick it up or they will mail it. If you can, hold off for the 6 cent days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreationsView Post
Here's an example where my brilliant blue star isn't so brilliant. Working on a Christmas gift for several family members by LeahsCreations at Splitcoaststampers At least it didn't clash, so I still used it.
Whadda cute picture!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Thank you. I took that with my little 4 yo Elph camera.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

hi tami! thanks for the detailed post. will this printer allow you to print on a 3.5 x 5 inch envelope, or is that too small? will SU cardstock (even the colored stock) fit through it? thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my HP. We bought it at least three years ago. I run the photo ink in it and I also have a cheap HP printer for everything else. Yes, we have two printers. But, I have most of my photos printed at Winkflash.
Reply With Quote Likes