Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adhesive for stencils

Is there an alternative to Pixie spray to use with intricate stencils? Elmer's has a Craft 'N Bond spray that is supposed to work permanent or temporary, depending on application. It is available here in Canada from Walmart or Amazon. Has anyone tried it, or something else you would recommend? Thx
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 671 Likes on 449 Posts

Sorry, I haven't used any sprays for my stencils yet. I just bought Pixie spray to see if it would improve some of the intricate stencils but haven't even tried that yet. Hope you find something though. Following for future ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I will watch as well- after all we did not always have Pixie spray. Before that I might have taped down a stencil but that does nothing for the intricate cuts in the middle.

I might guess there are other temp adhesive sprays from 3m or whatever....a lot art store might be able to answer that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I tried the temporary spray adhesives on my stencils years ago and I was not pleased with the after effects. Yes, the sprays held the stencil in place, but after using the stencils there was a sticky residue left on the stencil which was like a magnet to bits and pieces on my work table in addition to the stencil sticking to everything it came in contact with.
To this day I still have sticky stencils after the initial use of the adhesive spray.
I've gone back to taping the stencil down with Scotch removal tape, low tack painter's tape or post it tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tombo

Quote:

Originally Posted by peridot7View Post
Is there an alternative to Pixie spray to use with intricate stencils? Elmer's has a Craft 'N Bond spray that is supposed to work permanent or temporary, depending on application. It is available here in Canada from Walmart or Amazon. Has anyone tried it, or something else you would recommend? Thx
I don’t know if you watch Kelly Latevola-Taylor videos (she’s excellent with copics), but I believe she’s been using tombo mono multi glue for years on her stencils. I believe if you put it on really thin and let it dry, it becomes a temporary adhesive. I’ve never personally tried it, but I think that’s what Kelly has used for a long time. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Helen Weber (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I tried the temporary spray adhesives on my stencils years ago and I was not pleased with the after effects. Yes, the sprays held the stencil in place, but after using the stencils there was a sticky residue left on the stencil which was like a magnet to bits and pieces on my work table in addition to the stencil sticking to everything it came in contact with.
To this day I still have sticky stencils after the initial use of the adhesive spray.
I've gone back to taping the stencil down with Scotch removal tape, low tack painter's tape or post it tape.
Avon Skin So Soft is fabulous for removing sticky residue. I use it on my scissors whenever they get gunky. Some years ago they had individual packets with a wipe with Skin So Soft. I find one wipe lasts me years in the craft room for cleaning scissors, and that's just tucked back into the packet. Never seems to dry out, keeps working just fine. It's my go-to for anything sticky. You can wash the residue off with soapy water.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by contrapat:
Bohodiva (10-05-2021), DebbieinOC (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I still like paper tape or painter's blue tape for stenciling. A lot depends on the quality and design of the stencils. When choosing new ones, always look for the "bridges" across to join parts of a more intricate stencil. They are less likely to lift up while you are inking if the stencil is more skillfully connected in its design. Think of a simple tree trunk, if the whole vertical trunk is "empty" in the stencil, you may have more trouble inking it.
Hope this helps you....
Reply With Quote Likes
DebbieinOC (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Holding Stencils

My Stencils are Categorized in a Huge Binder that I store flat. After setting up the binder there was a noticeable difference in how well my Stencils sat on my cardstock. I should also admit to being a crafter that cleans all tools as I use them, so I don't fight lumps of paint that collect around stencil openings. My final solution to keeping Stencils flat is using Wendy Vecchi's "Make Art Stay-tion." It comes in two sizes, I use both, and is a metal mat with a white grid. The Stay-tion comes with 4 magnets, you can purchase additional if needed. The magnets really hold well and do not "jump" and attach to each other like standard magnets. With this tool I find using my Stencils a lot more fun. If a stencil does not have much of an outside border, I put painter's tape on all sides, flip the stencil over and add tape on every side again. It is kind of like a frame which I can leave on the Stencil and not remove. It makes using the magnets really easy as it just extends the size of the stencil. So far, after several years, storing my Stencils clean and flat has eliminated any lifting in the center. But if that happens in the future I might try the Tombow Mono as shared earlier. But most likely I will just reach for my temporary two sided tape runner, using it where there is lifting. It just rolls off when I am finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by musette:
CJ Crafty Designs (10-05-2021), Mischelle1 (10-06-2021), Rush'd Lady (11-09-2021), sue in so cal (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I saw this just today ...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by tawna21:
Bohodiva (10-06-2021), Helen Weber (10-06-2021), irie93 (10-09-2021), LilBit (10-06-2021), Mischelle1 (10-06-2021), paulaflies (10-06-2021), robbinbobbin (12-01-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks so much Tawna!

I must admit, my stencil collection doesn't contain anything as delicate as the stencil used in the video, but I am adding this idea to my hints for future use. There are so many applications that come to mind. You have a Winner Tip! 🎯
Reply With Quote Likes
tawna21 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Heart Make your own stencil spray

This is an interesting tip. I haven't tried it myself yet, but thank you for providing the excellent video and voice instructions. I have a card making relative who loves to use stencils for her cards, so I will pass this idea along (with proper credit) to her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a way to make an adhesive spry for stenciling on cloth. I do not think this is what I would want to use. Darn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

karensay, Although it is an aerosol spray, have you tried a quilt basting adhesive spray?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Stenciling on fabric

Quote:

Originally Posted by karensayView Post
I was looking for a way to make an adhesive spry for stenciling on cloth. I do not think this is what I would want to use. Darn!
Have you tried a washable glue stick?
Glue sticks are used by quilters to tack down applique to hold fabric in place for sewing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseskerlView Post
I don’t know if you watch Kelly Latevola-Taylor videos (she’s excellent with copics), but I believe she’s been using tombo mono multi glue for years on her stencils. I believe if you put it on really thin and let it dry, it becomes a temporary adhesive. I’ve never personally tried it, but I think that’s what Kelly has used for a long time. Hope that helps!
I’ve done that. I just used tiny drops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I buy Scotch Brand Matte Finish Removable Tape with a blue label at Staples (usually online, not often in the store) to hold dies still on cardstock and to hold down edges of stencils. Several short pieces are always hanging from the front edge of my work table so I can get to them quickly. Never a sticky residue, and I reuse some pieces several times before pitching them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wondered if Aleene's Tack It Over and Over would work for the Stencil Spray too.
Goo B Gone will remove sticky price tags and might work too for removing sticky residue on the back of stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes