Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adhesive for delicate die cuts

What do you guys recommend to use to adhere delicate die cuts, such as words, etc to cards? I used a tape runner for my most recent card and was not all that thrilled with the result.

I have a congratulations on your wedding card to make as soon as my Amazon order comes in next week, so if someone could point me in a direction, I would be greatly appreciative. Bonus points if it is something that I could buy at Mikes since I don't really have time to order online and I don't have any other craft stores in my area.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spread a light layer of Multi Medium Matte Adhesive on a craft sheet then set the die cut on the glue and pick it up with tweezers and apply it to the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

1 - dotting Multi Medium Matte onto the die cut using a thin metal tip that can replace the original bottle tip - but you could use the normal bottle tip. Or you could put a glob on your craft sheet and use those teeny fingernail art brush things or other teeny brush to dab it onto the die cut.

2 - die cut onto cardstock covered with a Stick It Adhesive Sheet. You just pull the cover sheet off using tweezers or an Exacto.

This is the tip that can replace the Ranger tip: https://www.amazon.com/Quilled-Creat...XGXR007ER26A9N

Here's Stick It: https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Adhesiv...ck+it+adhesive

Or maybe spray adhesive, and Michaels has that. I haven't used it lately, since I won't want our old animals or old me to breathe it, and it's a hassle to set up outside. Does Michaels sell Multi Medium Matte? The nice thing about it is that if you get a little on the card, you can just press your hand on it and it will dry invisible, being matte.

Prime gets you the above in two days, but not everyone has Prime.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For die cut words, I usually use my two way glue pen, and apply small dots here and there on the back of the word.

I've even used a toothpick to pick up small dots of Tombow Mono Multi which I squirted on a piece of scrap paper or aluminum foil and did the same thing, just apply tiny dots of the adhesive.

PS I usually use scrap paper, as I'm too lazy to walk to the kitchen for aluminum foil.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use this for gluing super skinny places, and am very happy with it. (picked it up at a local JoAnns for about half the price I see listed here: https://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-Memo...s=zig+glue+pen (when you open it up, it looks like a ball point ink pen)

also have this one, and it works fine, just like the Zig pen better: (also found at my local JoAnn's) https://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewar...e+tip+glue+pen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I use Stick It Adhesive sheets for all my die cutting. It's a double sided adhesive sheet. Don't know if Mikes carry it. I order mine from Ellen Hutson. I'm in Ohio and EH is in WA state. If I ordered from her today I would have my order this Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the sizzix adhesive sheets so it makes the whole die cut a sticker. SU used to sell them and I stocked up when they stopped but there must be other places to get them, they're great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I have used Michaels' Recollections Mounting Adhesive Sheets https://www.michaels.com/recollectio.../10205697.html and they work very well. Those are (or should be) at your Michael's store.

I also keep on hand rolls of Scor-Tape that are 1-1/2" and 3" wide, and often put them on the back of cardstock before cutting tiny or fussy dies. Amazon has Scor-Tape in several sizes: https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=Scor-Tape and someone else mentioned Ellen Hutson, Ellen Hutson LLC, an awesome online resource with exceptionally good customer service.

Glue pens work well, too, but I really like knowing that the tape is on the back of every square inch of a die-cut.

All of these adhesives have been sanity savers on various occasions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two methods, either I stick a piece of double sided adhesive film to the cardstock before I cut, or I spray with an aerosol adhesive. I put the piece on top of a piece of paper in my craft room bin and spray it in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cannot think that far ahead to use score tape to card stock and then die cut. If I could it would be much easier for me. Like buggainok, I use a small squirt of liquid glue and use a tooth pick to put dots on the back of the die cut (Or spread it with my finger). I saw a lady on Create And Craft TV put liquid glue on the back of her hand and then lay the die cut over it to pick up the glue. Yeah, well, it worked but then I had glue drying on the back if my hand. It drove me nuts.

I like my Xyron but in my humid area it does not stick as well as it should. But I do put the die cut thru my Xyron and then put dots of liquid glue in strategic spots.

I hate the shiny liquid glue when it dies. I use a pointy Q tip (found in the makeup department) to pick most of the glue up. I did try the matt liquid glue to keep the shiny spots away but it is costly. The small applicator clogs so easily so I don't use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #11  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Alice in Md, I also use wide Scor-tape for many of the narrower dies. Otherwise, I use the sheets -- either Scor-tape sheets or Sizzix sheets. I didn't realize Michaels carried its own brand of adhesive sheets. I'll have to check that out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Spray adhesive! Just a couple of squirts on the back of your diecut over your trashcan. I have reverse-action tweezers I've designated for this task. It's quick and no oozing adhesive from under your diecut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Adhesives and other stuff on sale at Joann. $1.99 shipping. code SHIP929
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Have you tried a tape runner and parchment paper? It's like making your own Stick It Sheets! You can find parchment paper at any big box store. It's usually in the aisle with the cling wrap and foil.

I use my ATG tape gun to cover the backside of the card stock in adhesive, then cut a piece of parchment paper and lay it over the adhesive. I die cut as usual and it works like a charm each time! The parchment paper naturally wants to let go, so I've never had to fight with a delicate die-cut to get it free.

Just be aware that this technique will only work with a manual die cut machine like a Big Shot. It will not work with electronic die cutters. At least, I haven't had any success with it in my Silhouette Cameo. The parchment paper doesn't want to stick to the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I wound up buying the Recollections double sided adhesive sheets this weekend with a 50% off coupon.

Joyousgirl80 - I am so trying your tip before buying any more of the double sided sheets....I'm pretty sure there's already parchment paper at my house, and I have the ATG already.
Reply With Quote Likes