Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To add or Not to add... THAT is the question!

Can someone give me a valid argument for having BOTH Cricut Expression and Big Shot? :confused:
I have an Expressions and love it. BUT, I find myself wanting the Big Shot as well. I'm finding what is drawing me to it is the ability to emboss. And the Nesties are looking like fun... I'm trying to be economical about it, and be happy with what I have. But I find myself still considering buying it even though it would be a larger expense and need a place to sore it and all it's accessories. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. If it helps, I scrapbook and I'm getting into cards and other smaller paper crafts. TIA

Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I find that there is no comparison between a manual and electronic die cutting machine. One does one thing and one does everything else...LOL

I couldn't live without embossing folders and nesties...and I need my Cricut too for other things.

In fact I have a big shot, cuttlebug, revolution, cricut and am considering the silhouette because it does stuff none of my machines can do...LOL

And I have less than half of the machines of some of the girls on here! We love ALL machines I think! But to keep it economical and get everything done, you could do with one manual and one electronic machine and have most bases covered!

Get the Big Shot...you won't regret it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

The embossing you can do with a Big Shot/Cuttlebug/etc. makes it totally worth it in my opinion. Let us know if you decide to get one;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelle....I have the following tools....Cuttlebug, BIGkick, original Cricut and Expression. The only one I don't use anymore is the Cuttlebug. I use the BIGkick (exactly the same thing as a BigShot) for all dry embossing and a few die cuts. I also use it when I want to cut materials other than paper that won't work in the Cricut or Expression. I use the Cricut and Expression for all die cutting.

As someone else said, there is no comparison between a manual and electric. They are both very different and great for each of their jobs.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the original cricut & the cuttlebug. I love them both for different reasons. I agree that 1 manual & 1 electric die machine is not to many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by split-peaView Post
I have the original cricut & the cuttlebug. I love them both for different reasons. I agree that 1 manual & 1 electric die machine is not to many.
same here and wouldn't give up either one!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I've been feeling guilty because I just bought a cricut and also have the old sizzix. Why do I need two die cutters? But, you all are right, they do different things. So, now I have the ammunition I need for DH when he asks why I don't sell the sizzix! Now, I just have to convince myself that it isn't a total indulgence to buy a BigShot so I can get the top note die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I just read a post where you can use Nesties in the Red Sizzix, the one with the pull down handle. Cool, now I can look into getting those. I use my cuttlebug folders in the red Sizzix too. They work great.

What the Sizzix can do that the Expression can not is cut thick materials well, like felt, cork, thin wood, metals, fabric, etc. That alone is a reason to keep the Sizzix.

I have the expression and the o-bug and I use them a lot, I like that I can push buttons for quantity cuts and pick the size of the cut. Something you can't do with the Sizzix.

For the lady who wants to buy the Big Shot/Kick to get the Top Note Die, there is one on the Storybook Cartridge that looks a lot like the Top Note Die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the hint about the storybook cartridge and the top note die - I'm going to go check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I have both and they do different things. I had to wonder why I wanted the Bug after having the expression, but the embossing is the only thing I use it for and its SO COOL.

My new thing is embossing on ribbon and on transparencies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes I have the old red pull sizzix too and was going to recommend maybe finding that used on ebay or craigslist or something rather than spending so much on a big shot or comparable.
I also have the expression, but really dont use it much, it is the time it takes to use it that deters me on that, if I was able to have it set up and ready to go I probably would use it more, but it is such as space hog.
If you are like most crafters we tend to able to easily justify purchasing these types of things, so it wont be long I bet till you have one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a BS and expression and I'm glad I have them both.

BS:
Love the BS for its simplicity and ease of use
I bought a few nesties and really don't care for them. Too much of a paint with layers to get a perfect cut based on the paper weight.

No electronics that can break

I love the new SU moveable dies - it's so easy to cut in a specific place on the paper

Cost of dies with a single image prohibitive for having a ton of dies
Die storage takes a lot of space

Making multiple cuts for a large project is boring
No costly blades to replace

Expression:

Wonderful for intricate cuts and multiple cuts
Wide selection of images - I only buy carts when they go on sale
Can be fussy cutting on various paper weights
Excellent for cutting letters
Electronics can fail - but so far, so good
Carts are easier to store
Love the jukebox - but wish it came with more spaces instead of having to have multiple jukeboxes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I posted over at the thread how many cutting machines do you have. I had a lot. I am slowly decluttering a bunch. I am trying to consolidate my tools. I don't want the clutter, the expense or the maintenance any longer.

I have the Big Kick, Red Sizzix, TagAlong, Cuttlebug, Cricut Expressions, Baby Cricut.

Red Sizzix went to DH. He will use it in his garage. TagAlong I think it's sooooo cute. I have a cute addiction, lol. I will probably declutter it. Big Kick & Baby Cricut went to my Mom this weekend.

I kept my Cricut Expressions and Cuttlebug. My reasonings behind both. An electronic die cutter and a manual one are two different monsters. The Cricut Expression is worth it's weight in gold for the cartridges like the character ones. I can make my own dies, even cut them out with an Xacto knife but it's really nice to do it quick.

Manual cutter handles all sorts of different materials from chipboard to light leather. If you like to work with mixed media then a manual die cutter is a great tool to have in your arsenal.

You can always use a pasta machine or rolling pin to emboss. It would be hard if you had arthritis with a rolling pin.

I kept the Cuttlebug because of space and it's the machine I use the most. I am use to the recipes. I think the Big Kick is an excellent machine. It's cute too.

Original Sizzix does cut our Nestabilities and all the dies except the huge new Sizzix dies. I would have kept that one but DH stole it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I have an Expression, a Klik N Kut, and a Big Shot.

I have also had a Red Pull Sizzix, a Cuttlebug, a Sidekick, and an original cricut. All of those have gone to my mom in one or more of my purges.

I love the Expression for character cuts. Tink, Cars, Mickey, etc.

I love the KNK for huge cutting jobs as it cuts up to 15" wide and the software allows you to cut anything on your computer.

I love my Big Shot for Nesties, embossing, and Bigz XL die cuts.

They all have a place in my arsenal, I mean, craftroom.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm much worse... I have a cricut AND a silhouette which in essense do the same thing. hahaha. I have a cuttle bug and a quickcutz squeeze hand tool. And now I really want the big shot.... SOO I apparently have a problem. haha.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes