Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3D embossing folders

I purchased one of these folders and have yet to use it because I don’t have a machine that will work with it... which is something I didn’t know! So I bought the Sizzix Texture Boutique thinking it would do the trick...um, nope.
I have a Grand Calibur die cutter and am thinking of switching to an electric die cutter like the Vagabond 2 or the Gemini but I can’t find any info that says they are compatible with 3D embossing folders.
Does anyone know or have experience with a machine for these things?🤔
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I use mine with a simple Big shot. Many of them are extra thick so you need to figure out the right sandwich. Could be only only one plate on top of the fully stacked platform...maybe use a shim...depends on the folder and unit. I might also suggest a light spray of water to make the paper more pliable. 

What says to you that you cant use what you have with it? Here is a vid that shows you how with the caliber...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xdb4idBR8
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use mine with my Big Shot and have no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 02:06 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Kathy, I'm agreeing with  the other posters, it's just a matter of adjusting your sandwich. Mostly,all I did was take out one plate, then use some thick card ( like off the back of notepads) to shim till I get a good impression. You may need to flip out the tabs,(with a Big Shot) or maybe not. It all depends on just how thick the folder is, how thick the cardstock you're embossing is, and of course the amount of pressure in your machine, as they all vary to one degree or another. Start off with one piece, try embossing with that, if it's not thick enough, add a second, or maybe another shim from thinner cardstock, depending how much of an impression you got after the first pass. I'm using a normal Big Shot, and also used to use them in my Cuttlebug. The light spray with water also helps to soften the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's video of Tim using his folders in Vagabond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjoXPS5srw&t=150s

Last edited by iamvics; 02-19-2020 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

This video just arrived in my email: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dGQ1id6MSg&feature=em-uploademail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

have you gone to the Spellbinders' website to see the sandwich recipes they post?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Grand Calibur with Spellbinder 3D EF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xdb4idBR8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 05:10 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well thank you so much for all the help! The “normal” sandwich Spellbinders uses for their own 3D folders would work, but I have a Sizzix 3D folder and nothing was working til I tried “shimming” with 4 layers of CS on top of the folder placed on the embossing plate. No top plate. Yay! I now have a lovely 3D embossed leaf panel (that I bought to use last fall)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Sizzix makes a thick blue plate for use with the 3D folders, the sandwich which works in my Big Shot is basic platform (just the platform, no tabs if you have the tabbed platform), folder with cardstock, blue plate. The Vagabond has the same sized opening as the Big Shot.
Cardboard shims tend to compress with use, so I personally prefer the blue plate. I'm a tad annoyed at having to buy yet another plate though :(
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Stampitis (12-08-2021)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yay! I try to label the folders with the sandwiches they need bc it keeps changing.

It isnt easy. I had it once w a spellbinders and then the next time I broke the folder. I had to buy a new one and they were discontinued already so I just eeked in with one.
Gee I never heard of a blue plate. Blue plate special? <groan> Sorry I couldnt resist.
Sigh...it does seem like a lot of plates-I am starting to have trouble remembering what they are all for. ugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Stampin Up sells the blue plates 3D EMBOSSING FOLDER PLATE by Stampin' Up! (as do some other stockists)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

For my Big Shot, I use Tab 1, 2 chipboard shims, and one cutting plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a Big Shot...
When using the 3D embossing folders and thicker texture and fade folders I use the base plate with the rubber embossing mat under the embossing folder and the top plate. I use the same sandwich for regular embossing folders. Also to soften the paper I'll lightly mist the back of it with water before running it through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a Gemini Jr, and when I use my 3D embossing folders I only use the top clear plate, the folder with paper or cardstock inside, and the bottom plate. My machine cracks and snaps and makes all kinds of noises, but works okay.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Yay! I try to label the folders with the sandwiches they need bc it keeps changing. It isnt easy. I had it once w a spellbinders and then the next time I broke the folder. I had to buy a new one and they were discontinued already so I just eeked in with one. Gee I never heard of a blue plate. Blue plate special? Sorry I couldnt resist. Sigh...it does seem like a lot of plates-I am starting to have trouble remembering what they are all for. ugh
I typed a label and stuck it on my box of folders, I think it runs to three different 3D sandwiches, listed by folder manufacturer. And then of course SU changed suppliers and sandwich and added a new plate . I need to add a new label.

ETA. Sorry, the groans are the forum, not me. And I can't find them to delete them. I think I've always had the extra Sizzix plate, I use it with my old Fiskars texture plates. 

Weird, now the groans are gone???

Last edited by Cook22; 02-23-2020 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Big Shot and I just had to order the 3D Embossing Folder plate. Was unable to use my 3D folders. I could not figure out the sandwich to make it work so I said "forget it", I am just going to order the plate since I have so many of the 3D folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default Embossing folders

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I purchased one of these folders and have yet to use it because I don’t have a machine that will work with it... which is something I didn’t know! So I bought the Sizzix Texture Boutique thinking it would do the trick...um, nope.
I have a Grand Calibur die cutter and am thinking of switching to an electric die cutter like the Vagabond 2 or the Gemini but I can’t find any info that says they are compatible with 3D embossing folders.

I use my handy old Big Kick. I just use different layers on the platform.

I do not have the Vagabond 2, but do have the first one. Didn’t take long until it had uneven pressure. I went back to the Big Kick that I have had for years.
I also have the Big Shot Pro that I use for oversized embossing folders and dies, or if I am cutting a lot of different dies at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

My Gemini Jr shipped with a 3D-like embossing folder, and the instruction booklet shows how to make your sandwich. I prefer to use my Big Shot for my 3D folders, though. I have an old platform that has the two tabs. I open it to the 2nd tab. I lightly mist the card stock before putting it in the folder, then run it through with just one cutting plate, and I'm happy with the result. I sometimes add a sheet of card stock as a shim depending on how crisp I want the embossing. Stampin' Up sells a special 3D cutting plate that's blue. It's supposed to be used with their 3D brand of embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mary Fish is a SU demonstrator and has a great guideline on her blog that lists the different "sandwiches" for the 3 different types of embossing folders. You could Google that and see if it's helpful, but the bottom line is finding the right combo of sandwiches.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

I will tell you I can use the 3D folders in my big shot. I cannot use the sizzix (Tim Holtz) in my Gemini. But can use them in my big shot. Gemini has crafters companion 3D and obviously you can use them in their machine. I have not tried them in the big shot. So I am a little bum I can’t use Tims in my Gemini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PampamView Post
I will tell you I can use the 3D folders in my big shot. I cannot use the sizzix (Tim Holtz) in my Gemini. But can use them in my big shot. Gemini has crafters companion 3D and obviously you can use them in their machine. I have not tried them in the big shot. So I am a little bum I can’t use Tims in my Gemini.

Exactly why I'll stick with the Big Shot (Plus). You can use anybody's die and embossing folder (with the proper sandwich).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

"... they all vary to one degree or another."
[/QUOTE] It's always been amazing to me that time I spend figuring out how to use the equipment and supplies is far more than it takes to simply make the card. I use Big Shot and Cuttlebug both, have all kinds of shims; rubber, plastic, Lucite, cereal boxes, corrugated from packing boxes, metal sheets....and I used to think I could keep them organized and have a recipe for which shims I used when. But that was a pipe-dream because the pressure of the Big Shot changes slightly with the weather and age and use, and the paper you are using makes a difference too. I put on my Gallery some cards made with the 3D dyes, and it was long ago but I think I either used one plate or maybe even no plate. It was scary. I didn't want to break the Big Shot. But you can do it! Do it once and you'll wonder why you spent so much time worrying about it.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Default 3d and Gemini

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I have a Gemini Jr, and when I use my 3D embossing folders I only use the top clear plate, the folder with paper or cardstock inside, and the bottom plate. My machine cracks and snaps and makes all kinds of noises, but works okay.
My Gemini did this too, and kicked it out. Per the company (manual and follow up emails), use the bottom plastic plate, 3d folder with cardstock, and the thin plastic shim (not the 2nd plastic plate). No cracking noises or spitting it out because it's too thick. Also, no chance of damaging your machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #25  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Yay! I try to label the folders with the sandwiches they need bc it keeps changing.

It isnt easy. I had it once w a spellbinders and then the next time I broke the folder. I had to buy a new one and they were discontinued already so I just eeked in with one.
Gee I never heard of a blue plate. Blue plate special? <groan> Sorry I couldnt resist.
Sigh...it does seem like a lot of plates-I am starting to have trouble remembering what they are all for. ugh
</groan>
<groan>
</groan>
<groan>testing. </groan>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #26  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Wavejumper & Sabrina - I was able to duplicate that problem so please don't edit any of your posts here because the team can use this to fix.

Thanks and sorry for the interruption.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

I can use the Tim 3Ds in my Gemini. I think I do what was mentioned above, but can check when I head back to my craft room and will add it. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

3D embossing folders in big shot and cuttlebug only use 1 small plate and base plate. Check online for other eqioment sandwhiches. I have a gemini but have never used 3d folders in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Does anyone know or have experience with a machine for these things?�

The Gemini is made to use 3D embossing folders. My Gemini Junior came with at least one. I don't remember if it was more because I gave most of the included items away. But I did try it, and almost everything that was included. The sandwich in the manual worked well.

Different companies' embossing folders are different thicknesses; there's no industry standard. Tim 3Ds are thicker than Crafters Companion.

I just tried with Neenah Classic Crest 80 and 110 lb. CS plus a scrap of something I think is called leather paper though it's not leather. From the bottom up: clear cutting plate, magnetic shim, embossing folder. For a deeper impression the metal cutting plate (a thin metal shim) can be added. Or cardstock can be added, like people use in manual machines.

The 110 pound stretched a very little bit in two very small areas when adding the metal cutting plate. I doubt a recipient would notice, and it goes along with Tim's grunge anyway. ;)

This machine transformed my ability to comfortably or frequently use die cuts.Turning a handle hurt. (Exception: Tim's little Sidekick machine is comfortable if not used too frequently. It's come in handy.)

Btw, the manual also refers to a "deep multi media die" sandwich. I don't know what they are; maybe the UK has some we don't have. I don't think those really thick steel rule dies can go in the Gemini!

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 02-27-2020 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 02:24 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Here's Justine Hovey using a Tim 3D folder in her Gemini. I hope the link works; there have been some issues that Lydia is trying her best to get fixed.  

ETA: The video does't show up when I go back to my post, but does show up when in edit. In youtube.com search on "3D EMBOSSING FOLDERS - What Are They? How do they work?" 

Last edited by bjeans; 02-27-2020 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3D embossing folders

When these 3D folders came out I tried it on my Vagabond (mine was the original vagabond). and it got stuck in the machine. So I purchased a big shot, it didn't work in the big shot. I see your suggestions and I will try and see if I can get it to work for me. I also thought that I could cut apart the folder and just use the best side and put it through the big shot. If anyone has tried this, let me know if it will work. I haven't used the three 3D folder in several years so it would be nice to get to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I used the Tim Holtz/Sizzix 3D mechanics folder in my Cuttlebug (Plate a & 1 B plate) to create the side panels on this box: Gear Box by iamvics - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
I used the Tim Holtz/Sizzix 3D mechanics folder in my Cuttlebug (Plate a & 1 B plate) to create the side panels on this box: Gear Box by iamvics - at Splitcoaststampers
That is gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Gemini Jr.

Quote:

I just used one of the Tim Holtz 3D embossing folders in my Gemini Jr. Of course I don't remember exactly what I did but I think I used only the folder and the base plate. Each machine may be a little different so you have to test it to see if you need to shim it. It does work though! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I have been reading this thread with interest. I have one more tip to add...it might be a 'no brainer' for some, but for me, it was a great idea. When you are placing your EF in the sandwich, place the open end (where you flip the EF up), not the closed end, to run through the machine first. The open end seems to have more of a beveled edge and might be easier for the machine to accept it. I have a Big Shot Foldaway and my sandwich is: Platform, Ef with paper inside, then one cutting plate. I also have spritzed the paper lightly with water...seems to make a more dramatic impression. My example was done with a THoltz EF, spritzed SU Very Vanilla cardstock, and inked with some light SU ink (So Saffron? Sahara Sand? I don't have a clue!). I love these embossing folders!
Attached Thumbnails
3D embossing folders-img_1210.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgrittyView Post
My Gemini did this too, and kicked it out. Per the company (manual and follow up emails), use the bottom plastic plate, 3d folder with cardstock, and the thin plastic shim (not the 2nd plastic plate). No cracking noises or spitting it out because it's too thick. Also, no chance of damaging your machine.

Thank you for this information. I had stopped using 3d folders because I didn't want to kill my machine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up 3D Folders

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarianneLambView Post
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have one more tip to add...it might be a 'no brainer' for some, but for me, it was a great idea. When you are placing your EF in the sandwich, place the open end (where you flip the EF up), not the closed end, to run through the machine first. The open end seems to have more of a beveled edge and might be easier for the machine to accept it. I have a Big Shot Foldaway and my sandwich is: Platform, Ef with paper inside, then one cutting plate. I also have spritzed the paper lightly with water...seems to make a more dramatic impression. My example was done with a THoltz EF, spritzed SU Very Vanilla cardstock, and inked with some light SU ink (So Saffron? Sahara Sand? I don't have a clue!). I love these embossing folders!

I have not thought of spritzing my card stock before embossing. I might give it a try, even though I have not had any problems not spritzing.  Your embossed card stock looks beautiful!  :cool:

Last edited by gobarb26; 03-08-2020 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gobarb

what kind of sandwich did you use on your Big shot to do 3D folders
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

I missed all the groans. Would not bother me. I deserved it.

Saberlove-that's the thing. Different companies' 3Ds are different thicknesses so there is no "one" sandwich for the big shot (or I assume other machines too) You just have to start with what they suggest you use and go from there.

Not every machine gets calibrated exactly the same in the plant for starters, over time it changes, and so on...and it does not take hardly any difference to get stopped. So you have to just experiment.

My biggest piece of advice is never force it. I would rather have it go thru without a great impression and start shimming a little at a time and then when I get it, label the EF.

The worst 3D EF for me is Spellbinders. Those puppies are crazy thick and was the kind I referred to up there ^^^

But I do love the effect!! And I cant wait to use gilding polish on them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 03:22 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by saberloveView Post
what kind of sandwich did you use on your Big shot to do 3D folders
Thanks

See Post #13.
Reply With Quote Likes