Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2023, 08:53 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 3D embossing folder question

I number of years back I got a big shot in the event my cuttlebug needed replacing.
while I have still been using both,I recently purchased an SU 3D embossing folder.

can someone please tell me the correct sandwich to use this type of folder on it. Up til now I have only used regular embossing folders.

Thanks so much for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,875 Posts

SU has a special plate that helps with their 3D embossing folders. They now call it the Specialty Plate and it is gray: https://www.stampinup.com/products/specialty-plate

I use one from Spellbinders that came with my Platinum 6 Fun Stampers Journey model and mine is green, but it is the same kind of plate. I use it with my Big Shot Plus machine all of the time. I label my embossing folders that need this plate with the words Embossing Plate. It helps me remember and not have to keep relearning how to emboss those folder.

If you do not wish to purchase this plate, I have used several pieces of cardstock to make the sandwich thick enough.

So with the special plate the sandwich is, Platform, Adaptor B plate (which is red on my machine) embossing folder, Special plate. That is all that is needed. You do not need a thin plate under your folder as usual. If your Big Shot does not have separate plates like mine, it would be the platform, the embossing plate, then the embossing folder and the special plate on top. I hope this makes sense. If not, please keep asking.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 01:01 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 3D embossing folder

Thank you. I am awaiting the Sweet Citrus bundle. I am not sure I wish to purchase a new plate at this time as who knows how many of these folders I will want. I should be purging and not buying 😂
I will try your suggestion as I seem to recall when they first came out with these there were similar questions.

i found that with the regular folders spritzing paper with water made a real difference as well as usual watercolor paper.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
harrahx2 (03-08-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Another option is the new plate system by Spellbinders. On Amazon it is a lot less expensive. I looked for the discussion on those plates and can't seem to locate it, but people are loving the new plate system. It allows embossing for every folder made at this time with their shims and system. It works on the Big Shot as well as other machines. Something to think about.

I agree on the spritzing the paper with water. It really helps with the 3D ones.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2023, 05:21 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessieJimView Post
Don't you purchase a 3D printer? After 3D embossing folders, I became interested in printing craft items. I've bought a very cheap printer https://43dprint.org/best-3d-printers-under-200/ the first one, just to start. It turns out a lot of cool things.
You do not need a 3D printer to purchase 3D embossing folders. They are all over the market. Enjoy your printer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2023, 06:24 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if the SU Specialty Plate for the 3D embossing folders is the same one we used for the long retired Texturz Plates (pre-dated embossing folders). With the Texturz Plates we used a solid plate, a thin shim if needed, and a rubbery floppy mat. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
SU has a special plate that helps with their 3D embossing folders. They now call it the Specialty Plate and it is gray: https://www.stampinup.com/products/specialty-plate

I use one from Spellbinders that came with my Platinum 6 Fun Stampers Journey model and mine is green, but it is the same kind of plate. I use it with my Big Shot Plus machine all of the time. I label my embossing folders that need this plate with the words Embossing Plate. It helps me remember and not have to keep relearning how to emboss those folder.

If you do not wish to purchase this plate, I have used several pieces of cardstock to make the sandwich thick enough.

So with the special plate the sandwich is, Platform, Adaptor B plate (which is red on my machine) embossing folder, Special plate. That is all that is needed. You do not need a thin plate under your folder as usual. If your Big Shot does not have separate plates like mine, it would be the platform, the embossing plate, then the embossing folder and the special plate on top. I hope this makes sense. If not, please keep asking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:16 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
I wonder if the SU Specialty Plate for the 3D embossing folders is the same one we used for the long retired Texturz Plates (pre-dated embossing folders). With the Texturz Plates we used a solid plate, a thin shim if needed, and a rubbery floppy mat. Does anyone know? Thanks!
That's a great question, and I'd love to know the answer as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #8  

Received 277 Likes on 164 Posts

I use a black silicone rubber pad (from Sizzix) I’ve had for years. So many years that I don’t remember what it came with. There is one on scrapbook.com that looks the same as what I have, but I don’t know how to link it (using an iPad). It is available as part of a two piece set; In the description, it states “made specifically for embossing with Thinlits or Triplits Die Sets, metal stencils and Texturz Plates, all items sold separately. The set includes one silicone rubber pad that measures 7.375" x 5.75" and one impressions pad that measures 8.875" x 5.875".”
it is listed as Sizzix Accessory Emboss and Transfer Set.
Attached Thumbnails
3D embossing folder question-sbc_sz-662111_217895.jpg  

Last edited by ozarkstamper; 02-10-2023 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by ozarkstamper:
bzzzeee (02-15-2023), jeanne3579 (03-08-2023), Springpatchlady (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:35 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

For the current (post-Sizzix) SU 3D embossing folders, I use my Big Shot platform (closed), EF with cardstock, and one plate on top. It is tight but gets through.

For the citrus hybrid folder, definitely spritz your cardstock before embossing (or embossing and cutting, if using the die inside the EF) and put through with the die "blades" facing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:51 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you! I think this might be what I need as well! *Into the cart it goes!* LOL
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
I use a black silicone rubber pad (from Sizzix) I’ve had for years. So many years that I don’t remember what it came with. There is one on scrapbook.com that looks the same as what I have, but I don’t know how to link it (using an iPad). It is available as part of a two piece set; In the description, it states “made specifically for embossing with Thinlits or Triplits Die Sets, metal stencils and Texturz Plates, all items sold separately. The set includes one silicone rubber pad that measures 7.375" x 5.75" and one impressions pad that measures 8.875" x 5.875".”
it is listed as Sizzix Accessory Emboss and Transfer Set.
Reply With Quote Likes
ozarkstamper (03-11-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sandwich would you all out there would recommend for the Anna Griffin die cutting and embossing machine?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2023, 11:50 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Another option is the new plate system by Spellbinders. On Amazon it is a lot less expensive. I looked for the discussion on those plates and can't seem to locate it, but people are loving the new plate system. It allows embossing for every folder made at this time with their shims and system. It works on the Big Shot as well as other machines. Something to think about.

I agree on the spritzing the paper with water. It really helps with the 3D ones.

I received the new Spellbinders platform plates for Christmas. But I cannot emboss 3D folders with the plate system - the correct sandwich just. will. not go through my Spellbinders Platinum machine. :'( I have to play around with cardboard shims in order to use my 3d embossing folders.

I should look for that thread where everyone was talking about the new plate system & see if someone has any suggestions for my problem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

I find many of my folders require me to adjust the sandwich. I made a couple of shims from a cheap plastic cutting board (thin flexible kind), and those help in many cases. Also have a big bag of various thicknesses of cardboard from mail inserts. I finally managed to get a really good impression from a Fun Stampers Journey 3D folder by using the homemade plastic shim. I find I just have to play until it comes out right.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2023, 07:03 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
I received the new Spellbinders platform plates for Christmas. But I cannot emboss 3D folders with the plate system - the correct sandwich just. will. not go through my Spellbinders Platinum machine. :'( I have to play around with cardboard shims in order to use my 3d embossing folders.

I should look for that thread where everyone was talking about the new plate system & see if someone has any suggestions for my problem
There is an updated sandwich chart (scroll down) on the Spellbinders site: https://spellbinderspaperarts.com/pa...l-plate-system
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2023, 07:38 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

I find that because of the wide range of thickness for different brands of embossing folders, you have to play around with your machine and your various platform/plate/mats/shims/etc. to get the right sandwich for each folder. There's no such thing as a "one size fits all" for embossing, much as that would be wonderful.

My 3D folders range in thickness from 1/8 to 5/16 inch thick. Obviously one sandwich will never work with all of them. Start with a thinner sandwich and adjust as needed.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2023, 02:47 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I find that because of the wide range of thickness for different brands of embossing folders, you have to play around with your machine and your various platform/plate/mats/shims/etc. to get the right sandwich for each folder. There's no such thing as a "one size fits all" for embossing, much as that would be wonderful.

My 3D folders range in thickness from 1/8 to 5/16 inch thick. Obviously one sandwich will never work with all of them. Start with a thinner sandwich and adjust as needed.
Although it's not "one size fits all," the Universal Plate system has various shims & plates for the different brands/styles of 3D folders. The most common sandwiches are printed on the base plate and a printable sandwich chart on the website lists newer folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2023, 02:18 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it matter where the fold ie: top bit is on the embossing folder as you feed it through? A bit scared of breaking my folder or my Big shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2023, 07:48 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Does it matter where the fold ie: top bit is on the embossing folder as you feed it through? A bit scared of breaking my folder or my Big shot.
I feed the folded part of the folder in first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by browprView Post
I feed the folded part of the folder in first.
Totally agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2023, 06:30 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

In my Cuttlebug I use the A plate the folder and the C plate on top. Sometimes I will put my metal plate on the A plate if it doesn't make the sandwich too hard to get through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes