Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #201  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the comments about the Hammermill cardstock for Copics I decided to try it. It was only $12.40 for 250 sheets and free shipping
from Amazon
Amazon.com: Hammermill Color Copy 80 lb 8 1/2 x 11 Inch Photo White Cover Stock 250 Sheets (12002-3): Office Products

Well let me tell you this stuff is wonderful!!
I stamped a flower image with Memento and colored the flowers with reds, because reds bleed the worst. I had NO bleeding using reds on this cardstock.

I have tried Staples cardstock and this is superior to that
It works as well as Neenah Classic Crest Super smooth and costs 75% less money
It feels exactly like Gina K's Pure Luxury layering weigh but it is a tad whiter

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-24-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Barbara -- I'm glad to hear that you like the 80# Hammermill.

A question for you... On the Amazon page that you linked, the technical details say the brightness is 98. Is that information correct? The reams I bought at Xpedx are 100 brightness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #203  
Hardware Hotshot

My brightness says 100 too.
It is 80#
It is the same number as yours ( 120023) but the package says " Color Copy Digital Cover"
A person needs to practice to get the best results with Copics, but who wants to waste a lot of expensive paper practicing? However it is of no use to use cheap unsuitable paper to practice.

I like Neenah Classic Creat Super Smooth, but that cardstock isn't cheap. A ream of 250 sheets would be $45 with shipping. The smaller packages from retailers are more expensive per sheet .

The Hammermill is only 5� a sheet. I cut each sheet into 4 pieces of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" so I can get 1000 pieces from one ream. That is a lot of coloring
When I mess up I have only wasted 5�

I am so happy this cardstock was mention here. I never knew of it unitl I read about it here

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-24-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #204  
Hardware Hotshot

One more note on the package. It says " Digital Printing Guarantee " Quite a few people are using Digital stamps and this card stock may be perfect for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #205  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm a Copic newbie too and I just finished my Copic Certification Designer program yesterday in Minneapolis and I highly recommend it!!! The class is well worth the money and is much more in-depth than any information you could ever find on the internet.

The instructors I had, Debbie Olson and Lori Craig, were very knowledgeable and very personable too. I left the class very inspired.

I had included my major takeaways that I got from the program on my blog if anyone is interested in getting a preview before they sign up for the program.

Steph
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #206  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started using copics the first of the year. I think this is great for those of us just starting out. I read the other one but to be honest I was lost on some of the things they were talking about. I love these markers and prefer them over the prisma pencils.
A friend of mine who owns a store did a little tutorial on copics for those of use around town who were getting into them. I enjoyed it as she gave us all kinds of info. She offered a club to us which I thought was great, needless to say I joined. We sign up for however many markers we want to buy every month at $4 each. She took down what colors we have so she can fill in where needed, etc. If we want a specific color that month we can let her know what we are doing with it and she will get them.
I was just wondering if anyone has bought the new Copic Coloring Guide yet and if they have how it was. I'm trying to decide if I want to order it this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #207  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Sounds great!

Wish I had that opportunity by me! I haven't tried out the guide yet. I'd be interested to see what others think of it as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #208  
Glitter Guru

you may certainly have something in your neck of the woods and not know it. Here is the link to find one by you.
INSTRUCTORS | COPICMARKER.COM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarar20View Post
Wish I had that opportunity by me! I haven't tried out the guide yet. I'd be interested to see what others think of it as well.
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #209  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hp printer ink tends to bleed when printing off a digital image, and
using copics. I may have to try this hammermill just for the digital printing factor. I still like Gina K paper for copics, and the stamped image is so
much better on her cardstock. I guess, I need to check my printer to see if the ink smears with copic use and digital images. I'm wondering if it isn't the type of ink in the printers that is more the problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
One more note on the package. It says " Digital Printing Guarantee " Quite a few people are using Digital stamps and this card stock may be perfect for them.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #210  
Stazon Splitcoast

Carolyn, I also have an HP printer. With mine, the normal black ink cartridge smears. However, the "Photo" black ink cartridge works great for both Copics and blended Prismacolor pencils. There's no smearing, regardless of which brand of cardstock is loaded.

There has been some discussion about printer inks in other threads, and this solution doesn't work for all inkjet printers. However, if your HP printer gives you the option of swapping the normal black cartridge for a photo black cartridge, that is definitely worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #211  
Hardware Hotshot

I have an HP Office Jet 6500. I can't use photo ink, but I have settings that let me manage the ink. I had a slight problem when I used the colorless blender over regular black printing because it turned the lines of the image a "slight" cast of pink. I found that I need to use "black only" ink to prevent this. The normal black uses a tiny bit of all of the colors when it prints black

I go to " settings" on my print screen. Choose " Paper Type/Quality . That brings another box where I can choose " Paper Type" Photo works best; "Color "and I choose Black only.
Check to see if you have advanced printing settings on your printer.

I also like Gina K's 80# weight for Copics and have printed on it without any problems of smearing when I select my print settings. I don't use her the 120# for my Copics as I think it may be too heavy for my printer. I have not tried to put it through my printer as I am happy with the 80# for Copic coloring. I use her 120# for all of my card bases
I have not tried using larger digi images, but I have some clip art of beautiful onate alphabets that have very tiny decorations on them . I have to have lines that won't smear to color them
Hope this helps

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-30-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #212  
Hardware Hotshot

Oops I justt checked my printer settings and I use " Greyscale" in the color option
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #213  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking Great quick service Oozak!

Just wanted to say how I am so impressed with Oozak and how quickly I got my Copics! So if you are still on the fence about where to get them, they would be a very good option.

I am so excited now I can play along with all of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #214  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree Oozak is fantastic!!
Their shipping is very fast. They ship the same day if you place your order before 3 p.m. Their web site always shows what they have in stock and I have never found it wrong. They even show when they expect a shipment. They have a " Notify me" feature where they will send an email when something comes in that was out of stock.

It is the only place I order Copics .
I know there is another place that is about 15� cheaper on Sketch markers but to me it is not worth it to change
They also sell all of the Ranger Distress inks and refills and Memento .
Great business to deal with!!
Be sure to register to get the best prices
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #215  
Glitter Guru

I just wanted to say that last Thursday I was certified by Colleen and Maryanne, Boy was it fun and stuffed full of info. well worth the 4 hour drive!!
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #216  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Price reduction

Update: Amazon has lowered the price on this cardstock. It's now $10.00. Shipping is free on orders over $25. Barbara's link from last May still works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
After reading the comments about the Hammermill cardstock for Copics I decided to try it. It was only $12.40 for 250 sheets and free shipping
from Amazon
Amazon.com: Hammermill Color Copy 80 lb 8 1/2 x 11 Inch Photo White Cover Stock 250 Sheets (12002-3): Office Products

Well let me tell you this stuff is wonderful!!
I stamped a flower image with Memento and colored the flowers with reds, because reds bleed the worst. I had NO bleeding using reds on this cardstock.

I have tried Staples cardstock and this is superior to that
It works as well as Neenah Classic Crest Super smooth and costs 75% less money
It feels exactly like Gina K's Pure Luxury layering weigh but it is a tad whiter

Last edited by Crafts; 02-09-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #217  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been using it for a little over a year. I found it by error which worked for me for once. It's not only cheaper (my copy store has it for $15.00 a ream) but I don't have to wait on being able to actually get in to the craft store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #218  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
I've been using it for a little over a year. I found it by error which worked for me for once. It's not only cheaper (my copy store has it for $15.00 a ream) but I don't have to wait on being able to actually get in to the craft store.
So...do you like using this Hammermill paper just with digi stamps (using your printer) and copics OR is it good to use with hand-stamped images (using a Copic friendly ink) and copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #219  
Rubber Obsessor

I just love this white, I haven't found anything I can't do on it yet. It's even great for the card base.
The first thing I was afraid of was the color fading like the neehah I got did, it went gray on me. I can pull a card I made a year ago and the paper is just as white as when I originally did it.
I prefer brushes when I do water color and the paper has been great for it.
But yes, it holds up just as well for stamping. So far I've used Stazon, Memories, Adirondak, and Stampin' Up with no problems.
I hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #220  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
I just love this white, I haven't found anything I can't do on it yet. It's even great for the card base.
The first thing I was afraid of was the color fading like the neehah I got did, it went gray on me. I can pull a card I made a year ago and the paper is just as white as when I originally did it.
I prefer brushes when I do water color and the paper has been great for it.
But yes, it holds up just as well for stamping. So far I've used Stazon, Memories, Adirondak, and Stampin' Up with no problems.
I hope this helps you.
This is good to know, thanks! I did go ahead then and order the paper from Amazon. I was bummed to have to spend $9 to have it shipped though. YIKES!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #221  
Rubber Obsessor

I get mine at my local copy store, Kinko's. Do you have a copying store near you? It would sure save on freight! I know Staples and Office Depot do not carry it. My Kinko's carries the neehah too so I think your best bet would be a local copying store.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #222  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from Xpedx. https://www.xpedx.com/locate-us.aspx
I had to drive 1.5 hours down to El Paso, but I was down there for a medical appointment anyway. They have just about every kind of paper and envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #223  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the Hammermill 80# Color Cover and really love it. I tryed to go to the Xpedx store in the DFW area but they have all closed except a warehouse near DFW airport. They do have it at the Fedx store (formerly Kinkos) for 13.99 plus tax. I had been using Gina Kay for really special cards since it is pretty expensive and Georgia Pacific and SU otherwise for Copics. The Georgia Pacific is pretty bad because it bleeds and does not have a very smooth texture but it is cheap and close (Walmart). I use the Hammermill for both card backs and Copic coloring. The texture and weight are great. Thank you so much for recommending it. I have heard somewhere that Hammermill has a 110# color cover. Does anyone know where they sell it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #224  
Stazon Splitcoast

As far as I know, the Hammermill Color Copy Cover only comes in three weights. I haven't heard of 110 lb, but they do have 100 lb.

I bought mine at the local Xpedx store. I use the 60 lb for quick color tests, since it is inexpensive and it saturates with so little ink. Then I use the 80 lb for the actual image layer, and the 100 lb for the card base.

I'm glad to hear you like it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #225  
Rubber Obsessor

My Kinko's has 3 sizes, not really sure what they are though as I just buy their 80#. I do know this is the lightest weight they have. I have tried one of the higher ones (I got 3 sheets) and if I hadn't know better I would have sworn they sold me Neehah.
I just did a general search for hammerhill color digital paper 110 and I only found 100#. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #226  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Judi-Just want to say thank for your coloring guides. I used the bunny guide and the card really turned out cute. Thanks for sharing the info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #227  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you, Julie. I'm so glad to hear that you found the guide helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes