Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joining the thread Interested in learing as much as I can about these wonderful markers. Here is my first project with copics I completed the other day.
Floral thank you card by Kalonismommy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #82  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalonismommyView Post
Joining the thread Interested in learing as much as I can about these wonderful markers. Here is my first project with copics I completed the other day.
Floral thank you card by Kalonismommy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
That's awesome!!

My Copics came today! I am loving them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #83  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
Should we start sharing our new creations? Here's my first Copic Card (although the second image I coloured): Raining Sweetness
Great job! And great idea to share! I love seeing what others are doing. I not only enjoy seeing, but I learn from it too! Thanks for sharing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Hi, aspengirl -- I'm glad you found us.

A couple of thoughts... You can click on "My Subscriptions" in the left column to see whether or not this thread is listed there. That will also tell you whether you should be receiving email notifications for it.

If you are still having issues, you can post to the Site Support forum. Lydia (Understandblue) is great about answering these types of questions there.
Thank you! With your help, I got this figured out!
Is the dog in your avatar yours? I love her/him!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm pretty new to Copics, too, albeit I've been collecting them for the last year or more. Here's my recent attempt ... I struggle ... I don't think I have enough contrast between my light and dark shades and the light source ... well that just doesn't come easy to me. I need lessons!! All that being said, I love my Copic markers and sometimes just sit in my stamping room and look at all the pretty colors in my little white cubbies, which by the way, I LOVE, as well!! It all makes me smile!
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Copic Newbies Excitement & Chatter-img_3174.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #86  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
I'm pretty new to Copics, too, albeit I've been collecting them for the last year or more. Here's my recent attempt ... I struggle ... I don't think I have enough contrast between my light and dark shades and the light source ... well that just doesn't come easy to me. I need lessons!! All that being said, I love my Copic markers and sometimes just sit in my stamping room and look at all the pretty colors in my little white cubbies, which by the way, I LOVE, as well!! It all makes me smile!
Cute What colors did you use for the moose head?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This was one of my first cards using Copics:
Letter Tilda in aqua, pink, green by SophieLaFontaine - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and one of my latest Copic-heavy cards:
bear bookstore by SophieLaFontaine - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

That's beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW Very cute .... love the art that you added on the second card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Great, you all are giving me courage to practice with my copics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
You did a great job. Just wondering, did you take classes of was it trial and error?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

About that mini Copic journal linked in Reply #68... If any of you are going to print it, I'd suggest using your good cardstock. I printed it on 110 lb Georgia Pacific, which is less expensive but I'm having issues with the markers bleeding out of the lines. I'll need to reprint it on better cardstock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
... I'm beside myself waiting for my class on Jan 20. 10 more Sketches will be awaiting me there. :mrgreen:
Today's the 20th. Be sure to report in. We're going to want to hear all about your class.

---

Aspengirl, what a fun card. As far as the more whimsical or cartoon-style images go, there's a lot of leeway for coloring and shading. And yes, that avatar is my Sheltie, Darby. Such a sweet dog. He would probably like to play with your cutie pie apricot poodle.

---

Froggie, now that you have your first set of markers, how did you do with your color selections? Any surprises?

I am realizing that I probably should have ordered more of the colors ending in a "0." For example, the gap between G0000 and the triad G21, G24 & G28 is too large. I need something to fill it, but I'm not sure whether that should be G000, G00 or G20. That's just one example. I've got the same issue with the quad-zeros in most of the color families. Anyone have ideas on that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by katroushView Post
You did a great job. Just wondering, did you take classes of was it trial and error?
Thanks! It was trial and error. But I did have from September to now to do this trial and error! That's about four months!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Tilda with a smiling face. How cute!

Did you use a white gel pen for highlights over the Copics? Does the brand of pen matter? I haven't tried it yet, but Copic Opaque White seems like it would be messier to use than a gel pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh! Yes, I used a Signo white gel pen. I don't have Copic White!! I didn't even know they had that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Marianne was talking about the Opaque White on her blog: I Like Markers: New Year Rabbits . She used it on the umbrella's handle, and she applied it with "a very fine paintbrush." Your gel pen highlights sound easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #97  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Great job, Hannah. It couldn't have been easy to work around the white polka dots in that umbrella. I left you a comment.

I'm glad you suggested sharing our uploads, since I'd love to see what everyone else is working on. You're way ahead of me, though. It's going to take me a while to finish something. My first Copic order only arrived yesterday afternoon, and I haven't even filled in my hand color chart yet.
Thanks so much for your comment (and the other wonderful comments left from here!). Color chart? I don't have one of those. What is it? What is it for? I was thinking about putting together a little chart of the colour combinations that I like. Is that what you mean? I only have 18 markers so far, I'm hoping to order some more by the end of the month!
Digital Scrapbooking Challenges are back! Digi Scrapping Challenge Team

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Marianne was talking about the Opaque White on her blog: I Like Markers: New Year Rabbits . She used it on the umbrella's handle, and she applied it with "a very fine paintbrush." Your gel pen highlights sound easier.

Yes, the gel pen definitely sounds easier! I followed your link just now and she mentions Multiliners too. I think I'll get those too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Hannah -- This is the PDF chart I started with, from the CopicMarker.com site: http://copicmarker.com/wp-content/th...olor_Chart.pdf

Those boxes were smaller than I wanted, so I split it in Photoshop and printed only the boxes portion on two pages, leaving out all that info on the right side.

There are other versions, including this one by Suzanne Dean: SJD Copic Color Chart1.pdf . I wish there was one with spaces for the new 2011 colors, but I haven't found it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
... I was thinking about putting together a little chart of the colour combinations that I like. Is that what you mean?...
The Hand Color Chart I was referring to is explained in my previous post, but I also want to talk about the color combinations you mentioned. The only thing I've found so far for color combinations is a page from that mini Copic journal that I linked in Reply #68. I'm keeping the individual quarter-sheets like a recipe card file. This is what those pages look like: copic journal slideshow by rachelsigmak - Photobucket
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #101  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Hi, Hannah -- This is the PDF chart I started with, from the CopicMarker.com site: http://copicmarker.com/wp-content/th...olor_Chart.pdf

Those boxes were smaller than I wanted, so I split it in Photoshop and printed only the boxes portion on two pages, leaving out all that info on the right side.
Well, you are in luck! I added the new 2011 Copic colors to my original Copic color chart that also includes spaces for all the Spica Glitter Pen colors. You can find the free downloadable chart on my Copic Info Page, here: PaperFections: COPIC CLASSES, INFORMATION & TUTORIALS

I prefer this 1-page format but was thinking of splitting the chart into an easier to read / bigger 2-page format -- would that be helpful to anyone? Let me know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #102  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Froggie, now that you have your first set of markers, how did you do with your color selections? Any surprises?
I got colors that were within a few numbers of each other so they are all relatively close. I know now that I could use a darker shade for skin shadowing, I got E000 and E00. Also, I have a very hard time blending my BGs and my RVs. The color numbers are close, but they just don't like to blend with the darker color. I also need a darker hair color, E29 is my darkest brown. I am going to get some Gina K. paper so hopefully I'll have an easier time blending. Right now I'm using my very last piece of PTI, EEK! The colorless blender is a live saver for little booboos, lol. Overall I'm pretty happy with my color choices. I also LOVE the N0 Neutral Gray, it is perfect for putting a light shadow around the whole image. I also notice that if I have a color that is too light and I try to blend with it over the dark colors, it acts like a colorless blender and kinda washes out the color. I just have lots to practice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for linking your color chart that includes the new colors, Sharon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

I got my Copics (37 of them) and today I've been playing around....the colors are so gorgeous! I'm no expert by any means but they really make my stamped images look incredible! I need practice blending but they're so much fun to use and I'm encouraged by the few things I have colored...Right now I'm just trying them out...I will sit down with some online tutorials maybe this weekend. I haven't even made anything into an actual card yet but I will once I get a few more things colored. Thanks for all the tips and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #105  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Also wanted to mention that I ordered the Color Cubbie from sudio3solutions and I see by the USPS tracking that it'll be delivered today..that was fast..but just in time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #106  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Cute What colors did you use for the moose head?

Thank you
Thanks!! I used E30 Bisque and E33 Sand on the moose's head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

Hi! I have had some of my Copic markers for quite a while but just started using them in the last few weeks. I just found a neat booklet on the copic site and had some good tips and I thought you guys would be interested. Here is the link:

http://copicmarker.com/wp-content/th...With_Copic.pdf

I love the Oozak site, too! I ordered last MOnday and received the markers Wednesday! Wow! I just ordered more today and I can't wait to get them. I also saw a tutorial for shading over Copics with Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol/Mineral Spirits(not watercolor pencils) so I bought the supplies and will let you know how it goes. I usually watercolor my images with ink but like the bolder look of Copics, too. Thanks for this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

This is so beautiful! What color did you use for the background?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #109  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dctalktexasView Post
This is so beautiful! What color did you use for the background?
Via the airbrush system .. the colors are B000 B02 B04
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whiff of Joy stamps have the cutest Henry mouse images, I like their stamps ,
not such little defined areas to color.
When I started with copics, it took me 6 months to check out everything on the internet, to learn as much as possible, now to practice coloring. No one in our rural area teaches the classes.
I have created the color charts, and also made one for color combinations
to use on cards, that I like together. You can never learn enough with this art.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolyn1171View Post
Hello fellow Copic Newbies...we have been snowed in for a few days so have had time to play with my new Copics. Yes, I love them, but find I am "outline stamp challenged". I bought one Tilda stamp, which is nice, but need some more stamps. I am NOT "hip, slick and cool", so really do not like most stamps I see on various sites. Would love to have some of your ideas.
Carolyn

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #111  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

Quote:

That image looks quite well my dear.....I believe you have it, just keep doing it.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #112  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperSharonView Post
Well, you are in luck! I added the new 2011 Copic colors to my original Copic color chart that also includes spaces for all the Spica Glitter Pen colors. You can find the free downloadable chart on my Copic Info Page, here: PaperFections: COPIC CLASSES, INFORMATION & TUTORIALS

I prefer this 1-page format but was thinking of splitting the chart into an easier to read / bigger 2-page format -- would that be helpful to anyone? Let me know!
Yes please Sharon! It would be very helpful for those of us whose eyesight is not so young anymore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

I had my first Copic class last night and WOW was I impressed. I enjoyed every minute of it.

We had a "bring your own image" night where we could choose what we wanted to work on and choose the colors we wanted to use. Our instructor gave us each individual attention. After getting a grasp on how to color my image, I sat in on others' instruction. At least, now, I have something to work with as I begin my Copic coloring journey.

There were 2 things I took away from the class that I had either not read before or have just forgotten (I am in Copic overload, afterall).

1. Go to Google Image search and type in the name of the object you plan to color or the name of the stamp to see how others have colored it to get an idea on colors/shadows. One of the students last night brought a heart, so she googled heart images, printed the images and brought them to class to give her something start with on shadowing hearts.

2. Make your selection of Copic colors according to the paper you will use in the project you plan to use the image with. WOW! What a difference that can make. I can have 125 Copics and STILL select the wrong color if I have not first selected the paper I want to use. Simple idea/concept....but one that flew right over my head. Yes, I can color an image the way I want it, THEN look for the printed paper and cardstock for mats...but if I don't have it already, I will have to go out and buy more....and with SCS "supply collectors" how many of us NEED to buy more. :mrgreen:

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great ideas ...

Where and with who did you take the Copic class? Sounds like it was fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #115  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
That image looks quite well my dear.....I believe you have it, just keep doing it.
Thanks! I'll just keep practicing ... going to work every day keeps getting in the way of my play time though! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #116  
Matboard Maniac

OMG...That SO makes sense!!! I have "practiced" coloring images with ALL TYPES of medias from ink pads, to pencils, to water color pencils , water color crayons, chalks, pastels, markers AND you are so right...I have a stack of all these FABULOUS images that I never seem to use...and now I know why....The colors are hard to match up!!! No wonder!!!! (AH HA moment here)

I 1st started down my copic journey b/c...PTI had the Copic trios on their web site...And what intimidated me most with COPICS was how to "match colors" with over 300 to choose from. It was so overwhelming. But...with PTI (and I have discovered Flourishes, and Just Write) they have these combinations already picked out for you. But with PTI...They are designed to to match their INK, Paper, Ribbon, Buttons, Felt...etc. Maybe that is why COPICS became my favorite (even though I love the other ways of coloring and I am not good with markers at all) They images matched my supplies and therefore ended up in a "finished" project!!!

I had the specific color groups already picked out to match my supplies...Yes, Yes, Yes!!! That is definitely it!!! Thanks so much for sharing what you have learned!!!

Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bumping this thread to see how everyone is doing. It has been a while since we've checked in.

I received my second Copic order, which was mostly light colors to fill some of the gaps in my initial color choices. I've colored the same image four times now and I'm still not happy with it :rolleyes:. Fifth time's a charm, right? I'm halfway done with version #5, and it's going much better this time. Everything else for the card is assembled and all set to go -- it just needs that image.

Have any of you finished something that's ready to upload? I'd love to see what you're working on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #118  
Matboard Maniac

Yes....at least I HOPE the 5th time is a charm. I'm sure I will need 5X for some of my images.

A group of us are going in together to order Lily of the Valley stamps from the UK at the end of Feb. Loving the little boy stamps in her catalog....so I've been gathering Copic colored images of her stamps and will be ready to go when they arrive. I think they will be my first attempts at "the real thing". Until then, just practicing on small images.

My third set will arrive end of Feb and I'm already chomping at the bit waiting for them. I ordered 10 as fillers for some straggler numbers I have that didn't have close friends.

I've also been playing the the palette method for blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #119  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

I'm enjoying mine and like you, Judi, I think I will be filling in my initial purchase with some lighter colors. I haven't ordered any yet but when I do they'll be lighter for more contrast. I'm just going with my instincts right now and playing around with fairly good results. I know I'm just a novice so I'm not expecting perfection. The colors are so fabulous and they just make my colored images look great (much better than my old markers). I'm sure in the coming weeks I'll do more investigation of instructional videos and blogs and do more practicing but for now I'm happy with my purchase. I haven't uploaded anything..I don't have a gallery yet..guess I'm lazy in that regard..someday I will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
...A group of us are going in together to order Lily of the Valley stamps from the UK at the end of Feb. Loving the little boy stamps in her catalog....so I've been gathering Copic colored images of her stamps and will be ready to go when they arrive. I think they will be my first attempts at "the real thing". ...
I've been noticing a lot of those Lili of the Valley images in the gallery lately. There have been some adorable cards done with them.

Quote:

I've also been playing the the palette method for blending.
What are you using for a palette? I went shopping for some flexible white plastic and picked up a 10 x 14" For Sale sign at WalMart for $1.27. It has a solid white back, and I cut it in half for two palettes. I haven't really used it yet, but I quickly tested it. It accepts the markers well, and it cleans with isolpropyl alcohol. I haven't had it long enough to know how it will work after the colors sit on it for days, though.
Reply With Quote Likes