Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #41  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the reply and all the info--I really appreciate it! And also to have your blog address will be handy, too! -Stacy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for your suggestions. I guess you could say I like "pretty" stamps rather than "modern or cartoonish" stamps. Stampin' Up has been my stamp of choice for years, so I think I have to sort of "change gears" and re-train my eyes to the Copic way. It is interesting to have a new challenge. Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolyn1171View Post
Hello fellow Copic Newbies...we have been snowed in for a few days so have had time to play with my new Copics. Yes, I love them, but find I am "outline stamp challenged". I bought one Tilda stamp, which is nice, but need some more stamps. I am NOT "hip, slick and cool", so really do not like most stamps I see on various sites. Would love to have some of your ideas.
Carolyn
Hello Carolyn. I use a lot of different stamps for coloring with. It sounds like you might like Flourishes stamps. They are really classy images with a lot of floral. (I am not associated with them - just love their stuff). They also have a wonderful design team and challenge team that do stuff, so you have a TON of inspiration. Most of them use Copics too.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Yes Alaine!!!
I too LOVE the Flourishes images. All of them are very realistic and elegant and classy. They were actually why I decided to try Clear stamps. I understand that they are one of the best quality wise and worth the investment. I am truly amazed at the projects in their gallery. Which, again, is why I cross over to the "Copic SIDE" I just HAD to color and get those results.
I also just receive my first All that Scraps order...which included some...C.C. Designs, a few Greeting Farms "Anya" and 2 Magnolia Tilda's. I just love the way some of you wonderful talented ladies (like Colleen) get your images colored. I have 182 colors so I feel that I have more than enough to "get started" so I just need to get busy.

Blessings,
Valerie

P.S. This is a great thread...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi everyone! Such excitement here! I must say I really need more info before I order my markers sooooo, 1st question is ...... how much of a difference is there between the "sketch" and the "ciao" (besides the price) and 2nd question....which one should a brand new newbie use :confused:? I so want to be hip with everyone and learn how to use these "things" since everyone's work is wonderful with them.

Thanks for your advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

I just saw this thread..I've been reading all the Copic FAQ posts and going to blogs, watching YouTube videos, and bookmarking things for future reference...I decided I'm going to take the plunge..I got a set of 8 skin tone Copics for Christmas (from a fellow art-o-phile who recognized my want of Copics and got my subtle hint)...and I found that even not knowing a lot about technique I was able to create a very lifelike skin tone on a sample picture I had stamped..I need to decide what color combos to get..I've printed off a couple of bloggers "must have" lists and will figure out my own. So hopefully in a week or so I will be another of one of the Copic Nuts! LOL...I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbie jeanView Post
Hi everyone! Such excitement here! I must say I really need more info before I order my markers sooooo, 1st question is ...... how much of a difference is there between the "sketch" and the "ciao" (besides the price) and 2nd question....which one should a brand new newbie use :confused:? I so want to be hip with everyone and learn how to use these "things" since everyone's work is wonderful with them.

Thanks for your advice
I'm a newbie and, for me, I fell in love with the "sketch". The Ciao rolls off the table and I'm REALLY bad about shoving things over. But, the biggest reason for getting "sketch" is because it is marked on both ends with the letter/number and the name of the color. I store mine on their sides, so I want the number showing. Then, the sketch marker holds more ink and has more colors available to add to my collection.

Others will have different reasons for ciao.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Debbie Jean and Peeps!!! I am so glad that I am not alone on this NEW copic journey. I think what put me off for so long (aside of the obvious cost) was the overwhelming amount of color choices. (I was the same way about my Prismacolor Pencils) I tend to not start until I can "jump in with both feet" KWIM...Obviously I was not able to purchase the WHOLE KIT and KABOODLE but I did start with Papertrey Inks suggestion for their Copic Trio set...So my first order was for all of their color trios which I think was 66. Then of course after several videos (which by the way do a great job of letting you know what color they are using) with youtubbers who did great jobs I started to fill in with they colors THEY used...then I discovered Flourishes and they had Copic sets that were in color families...so that was my next "goal"...to fill in with what I was missing to obtain "their" color group suggestions.
I just felt that both of these companies took a lot of the "guess work" out of grouping colors that blended well together.
I hope this "method of madness" helps.
I am however on a very tight spending budget as part of my New Year Goals so with 182 colors I think the Color Wagon is considered FULL...no more for me.
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Perfect timing for us newbies. If you have not see Marianne's upcoming book on "Shadows"....you are going to be excited. I'll be beside myself waiting for March. The 2011 Copic catalog will also be out soon and will be chock full with Copic coloring art.

I Like Markers: Copic New Products part 4

Be still my "Copic heart". ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you all for the stamp site suggestions. I am going through them all and making my selections. ( decisions, decisions, decisions!) I love Flourishes. We are getting more snow this afternoon...boy, oh boy...snowed in again. Copic Time!!
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Carolyn, I think the process of choosing these little characters is almost as much fun as actually playing with them...at least this is how it is for me.

Each new member of my collection has been carefully chosen and the wait for it to arrive is happy anticipation.

Indeed....these little buggers ARE "marker crack". ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

I placed my order with Oozak today! There are so many colors and color combos to choose from...yikes! I was looking at lists and comparing..I finally just started going into each color group and picking a combo of about 3 each..I might have picked 2 from the greens (G and YG families) as I love green and always seem to gravitate toward it..anyway...I'm excited...too bad we have that 3 day weekend coming up..not sure just when they'll be delivered..does UPS deliver on Monday? I'm in MN and Oozak is in MI....hmmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

I found Suzanne Dean's Copic Starter List really helpful (unfortunately didn't see it until after I had ordered some sets, but it helped me complete my collection more). I wished I would have had it when I started. It is on her Color Me Creative website.

And whomever suggested the Color Cubbies from Studio 3 Solutions THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I got 3, and LOVE them! They came really quickly, in impeccible condition, and are so much better thann those plastic things for marker storage. SO Thanks so much! Sorry I lost track of who you are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

How about ordering refills? How do you know when to start getting ready for refills, obviously when a marker dries out, but what if you want to be prepared? I ordered a few, but have had some of my markers for a couple years where they sat basically unused until this last 6 months or so...hopefully they didn;t dry out much when they sat. Don't know how long they usually last before you have to refill them, I know alot depends on use, etc. I thought I'd start getting a few refills of the colors I use the most of, esp. the light color I do the most blending with in a color family, as that seems to get the most use. Does this make sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #55  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodellView Post
How about ordering refills? How do you know when to start getting ready for refills, obviously when a marker dries out, but what if you want to be prepared? I ordered a few, but have had some of my markers for a couple years where they sat basically unused until this last 6 months or so...hopefully they didn;t dry out much when they sat. Don't know how long they usually last before you have to refill them, I know alot depends on use, etc. I thought I'd start getting a few refills of the colors I use the most of, esp. the light color I do the most blending with in a color family, as that seems to get the most use. Does this make sense to anyone?
You are correct - so much depends on use. I've had mine for a couple of years and use them often. I recently purchased a refill for the B0000 - because I use this marker so much for background coloring. In fact I will probably get refills for a few of my other light blue markers as well. But so far that is it. The markers are air tight and have a 3 yr shelf life so you may hold off on buying reinkers for awhile.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello from another Copic Newbie

What perfect timing for me to discover this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I freakin' LOVE these markers!
They really are sooo magical! I almost feel like a traitor to my beloved watercolours!! I have been colouring almost exclusively with Copics ever since buying them.
I am so glad to see that you love your markers, Sophie. I'm coming from a watercolor background, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
It took me a while to get the hang of it. ...
Yes, I'm trying to prepare myself for the same learning curve you've already gone through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #57  
Embossing Fanatic

Newbie here too, just waiting for my first order to arrive, woohoo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Kelli --

There are at least three of us in the same boat, since peeps321 is also waiting for her first order to arrive. I sure hope I like these markers as much as Sophie does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Crafts and Froggie...welcome to the world of Copics and the 2011 thread of newbies. I'm beside myself waiting for my class on Jan 20. 10 more Sketches will be awaiting me there. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodellView Post
And whomever suggested the Color Cubbies from Studio 3 Solutions THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I got 3, and LOVE them! They came really quickly, in impeccible condition, and are so much better thann those plastic things for marker storage. SO Thanks so much! Sorry I lost track of who you are!
You go girl with those Color Cubbies! Here's the link and I am happy to hear from a live customer that she really loves them as much as I covet them from their website hee hee.

Perfect storage solution for Copic Markers

<---saving money for Color Cubbies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Does this make us "Copic CRACK" pushers??? LOL
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

What helpful Copic tips have you all picked up so far?

I'll mention this one... I watched a video yesterday where the person was pulling the Sketch caps off straight, and she seemed to repeatedly struggle to open them. For the Sketch markers, all you need to do is twist the cap and it pops right off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #63  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post

I'll mention this one... I watched a video yesterday where the person was pulling the Sketch caps off straight, and she seemed to repeatedly struggle to open them. For the Sketch markers, all you need to do is twist the cap and it pops right off.
Ohh, I ordered Sketch, so I'll have to keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post

Excellent tip! :cool: Why was this not obvious to me? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

A little tip that I wish I had learned earlier: if you look at the marker (ciao or sketch doesn't matter), one end of the barrel has a darker ring around it. This is he brush side. The chisel side doesn't have the ring. This is a quick look no matter what position the marker is in to know which cap to remove.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi all!

I am a Copic newbie too! I got 72 for Christmas and just received my order from Ooazk yesterday for 44 more. Oh man am I ever hooked on these things! I LOVE them! I even dream I'm coloring! LOL! I'm subscribing to this thread to join in on the excitement and hopefully pick up some new tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh, perfect timing! I just found this thread and today, I just got my first batch of Copics! I've been playing all afternoon! I can't wait to participate in this thread more!
Digital Scrapbooking Challenges are back! Digi Scrapping Challenge Team

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

~~~~ waving to Kay and Hannah ~~~~ Nice to have you join us. We have quite a group going now.

I wanted to share this link to Rachel Henahan's Mini Copic Journal. There's a free download link for the PDF file in her sidebar. I've been looking for something like this to customize with my own set of colors. I'm thinking of keeping the quarter pages separate, like a recipe card file, rather than binding them together. That way, I can add to them later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
I placed my order with Oozak today! There are so many colors and color combos to choose from...yikes! I was looking at lists and comparing..I finally just started going into each color group and picking a combo of about 3 each..I might have picked 2 from the greens (G and YG families) as I love green and always seem to gravitate toward it..anyway...I'm excited...too bad we have that 3 day weekend coming up..not sure just when they'll be delivered..does UPS deliver on Monday? I'm in MN and Oozak is in MI....hmmmm
I think Oozak uses USPS, which won't have Monday delivery! Sorry! Hopefully you'll get them Tuesday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

I know..I figured out they use USPS...I'll have to wait til at least Tues eve as my mail doesn't come until late..like 5...grrrrrr....Oh well...I can wait..but I am excited..I may have to run out to the mail truck and grab them before they have a chance to put them in my box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #71  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

I have been playing with copics for a bit over a year now and won't put them down. so can I still be a newbie....I took the on-line class from my creative classroom and learned a bunch plus with the printoff handouts you can go back and refresh anytime.....I also subscribe to Marianne's blog and print off the lessons she posts. Haven't explored YOutube for help but will definately be doing that soon. having major surgery with a protracted recovery and lots of PT so I figure coloring will help the time to pass--am subscribing and hope to learn lots from all of you.
FYI FWIW--I keep my markers sorted into a six compartment picnic type tin purchased at Target.....I have close to 200 and it isn't full. I like it because I can pick it up easily and move to any room in the house. Let's me color while keeping DH company in front of the TV in the evenings and color in my craft room when he is away.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
Sophie, I'm really excited about coloring lions. I've been collecting sites with colors I like for animals.

Here's what I have for lions.
Y28, YR21, YR24, E08, E37, E50, E53, E57, E59
Copic Creations Challenge #19� � Expressions With Heart
If I could color that good with my Copics, I would be doing it all the time and wouldn't get anything else done! You rock!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
If I could color that good with my Copics, I would be doing it all the time and wouldn't get anything else done! You rock!!
Yes, Pam Sparks rocks BIG time. Love her coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

I went to thread tools to subscribe, and the only choice in the drop down (regarding subbing) is to unsubcribe. I know I haven't subbed, as this is the first time I've seen this thread. I was visiting the Copic Chatter thread, to which I subscribed several months ago, and clicked on the link to this newbie site .... wonder why I can't subscribe. Any ideas to help me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Should we start sharing our new creations? Here's my first Copic Card (although the second image I coloured): Raining Sweetness
Digital Scrapbooking Challenges are back! Digi Scrapping Challenge Team

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #76  
Compulsive Stamper

I just found out recently that Copic has come out with more marker colors. There are 12 new Sketch colors and 36 new Ciao colors. Sigh, I'm still working on getting their markers and now they come out with a bunch more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

NIcely done......

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #78  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
Should we start sharing our new creations? Here's my first Copic Card (although the second image I coloured): Raining Sweetness
Very pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
I went to thread tools to subscribe, and the only choice in the drop down (regarding subbing) is to unsubcribe. I know I haven't subbed, as this is the first time I've seen this thread. I was visiting the Copic Chatter thread, to which I subscribed several months ago, and clicked on the link to this newbie site .... wonder why I can't subscribe. Any ideas to help me? Thanks.
Hi, aspengirl -- I'm glad you found us.

A couple of thoughts... You can click on "My Subscriptions" in the left column to see whether or not this thread is listed there. That will also tell you whether you should be receiving email notifications for it.

If you are still having issues, you can post to the Site Support forum. Lydia (Understandblue) is great about answering these types of questions there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
Great job, Hannah. It couldn't have been easy to work around the white polka dots in that umbrella. I left you a comment.

I'm glad you suggested sharing our uploads, since I'd love to see what everyone else is working on. You're way ahead of me, though. It's going to take me a while to finish something. My first Copic order only arrived yesterday afternoon, and I haven't even filled in my hand color chart yet.
Reply With Quote Likes