Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Copic Newbies Excitement & Chatter

I'm a Copic newbie and I'm excited. Yes, I've read the Copic FAQ and the Copic chatter....but both threads are "old" newbie chatter. I thought it would be fund to have a special place for those of us who are new to be as excited as you guys back in the beginning....this is our beginning.

It's a place anyone can chat....just thought it would be fun to have a "fresh start" for those of us who will be getting our feet wet (or fingers when we refill our first marker LOL ).

So, when did you get your first markers.....how many? Have you started playing? Have you tried several kinds of cardstock to know what you like? Will you be taking any classes?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I received my first 6 sketch markers in Nov for my birthday. 4 Earth, R20 and a blender....to practice coloring my House Mousies.

I received 25 more for Christmas. I drew and colored a green pear with a little red...LOVED doing that. I love these markers.

I did not get into the marker craze until I played with a few alcohol inks for an ATC project last year. I felt really creative again. I finally bit the bullet and asked for them for bday and Christmas....knowing I would have to have lots of them.

I'm taking my first class in January....monthly classes....and I can't WAIT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I freakin' LOVE these markers! I finally bought them earlier this year (October?? November?? I don't remember). I got a whole bunch the first time, and then ordered the rest the 2nd time. I just counted them. I have 64 markers. I love colouring on Papertrey's paper (mostly Rustic Cream). It took me a while to get the hang of it. I did have to switch (inkpads) to Memento Tuxedo Black (from Palette Noir). I didn't take any classes though. I thought I'd give it a try by myself first. They really are sooo magical! I almost feel like a traitor to my beloved watercolours!! I have been colouring almost exclusively with Copics ever since buying them. Just this month I bought the big bottle of colourless blender solution 'cause my blender ran out! I had used it THAT much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh! One thing I DO have trouble colouring is fur!! It comes so naturally to me in watercolours, but I dunno if I have the right shades for fur! I want to colour House Mousies <grin> and the Penny Black critters! I have E00, E11, E31, E33 (a grouping of "flesh tones" by Flourishes LLC) and E55, E57, and E59 (the Dark Chocolate grouping of Papertrey).

I had on my own, bought Copic yellow ochre, but... I dunno if it's really doing it for the fur.

Actually, I used Papertrey's store to determine which markers I wanted, and now my Copic markers match the colours of Papertrey papers that I have, but I'm lost on all the other colours, that they didn't list. I was just fortunate that Flourishes LLC listed a "flesh tone" combination.

Okay, sorry to ramble on and on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Sophie, I'm really excited about coloring lions. I've been collecting sites with colors I like for animals.

Here's what I have for lions.
Y28, YR21, YR24, E08, E37, E50, E53, E57, E59
Copic Creations Challenge #19… � Expressions With Heart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oooh, those are beautifully coloured lions!! I love Pam Sparks' work! I noted those markers and will order them the next time I put in a Copic order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Hi, I've been a member of this forum for a few months and mostly lurk around to get wonderful insights and tips from the stampers here. I'm a Copic newbie.
I got my first 159 Copic sketch markers off of Craigslist in mid November from a high school student who had them for about a month for art class and decide he didn't like art, lol.
They were mostly 90% new and i got them for $1.70 each.
I love them so much I spent hours everyday practicing and learning about them online. I just signed uo for the Copic Certification class (in Los Angeles on Jan. 28th) and can't wait to learn more. Hopefully I'll get to meet some more newbies there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiZ4View Post
...I'm a Copic newbie....

I got my first 159 Copic sketch markers off of Craigslist ....

They were mostly 90% new and i got them for $1.70 each.
I love them so much I spent hours everyday practicing and learning about them online. I just signed uo for the Copic Certification class (in Los Angeles on Jan. 28th) and can't wait to learn more. Hopefully I'll get to meet some more newbies there.
Hey, Copic Newbie....looks like there are a few of us who will be going through this together. That makes it exciting!!

WOW....unbelievable deal!! Congratulations!

c.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
Hey, Copic Newbie....looks like there are a few of us who will be going through this together. That makes it exciting!!

WOW....unbelievable deal!! Congratulations!

c.

Thank you! I'm so grateful to have been able to get them at such a great price.
Have you found any sites that have helped you in learning about the markers(besides here of course)? I really like Marianne Walker's Ilikemarkers blog. So much great information there that helped me with coloring skin and hair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, I love Marianne Walker's blog. I'll be rereading some of her tutorials and playing with my markers until my class in mid Jan.

I also adore Suzanne Dean's Youtube videos. I loved her video on reds.
YouTube - Copic Tutorial on Coloring with Reds

I keep going back and forth to both.

The class I'm taking is by someone who took the Copic Certification who lives in my area. While I have a few friends who were on the Copic wagon last year, I'm looking forward to meeting newbies and enabling a couple more of my close stampy friends, so "they can come over to my house to color". ;-) I haven't used that phrase since I was 10 years old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Hi everyone, I've just joined the world of Copic markers "Nuts" a couple of weeks ago. I have learned a lot from all the free videos on Youtube.com. I just watched a few on coloring fur on rabbits and bears, great videos. I signed up for a free copics coloring class from Colleen over at stamptv, she heads up a Copic's forum, it's been very helpful. And, now I've found this sight that I heard is great for inspiration, just what I'm looking for.
Marianne Walker's "Ilikemarkers blog"? I'd love to get in on her tips.
I bought 4 markers 3 weeks ago and just got 10 from a deal on Ebay (my color choice) and I just got 6 yesterday at Hobby Lobby...I guess you could say I'm hooked. Why mee.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

It's like being a kid again playing with colors.
I found that making color chart combinations can be really helpful.
I'm gonna try to attach a pic of my charts, hope it works. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to this whole computer stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Copic Newbies Excitement &amp; Chatter-dsc04568.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dprodView Post
Hi everyone, I've just joined the world of Copic markers "Nuts" a couple of weeks ago. I have learned a lot from all the free videos on Youtube.com. I just watched a few on coloring fur on rabbits and bears, great videos. I signed up for a free copics coloring class from Colleen over at stamptv, she heads up a Copic's forum, it's been very helpful. And, now I've found this sight that I heard is great for inspiration, just what I'm looking for.
I bought 4 markers 3 weeks ago and just got 10 from a deal on Ebay (my color choice) and I just got 6 yesterday at Hobby Lobby...I guess you could say I'm hooked. Why mee.....
Hi, so glad to meet another newbie (to Copics and this Forum).
I don't know how to post a link to Marianne's blog but you can google her and it'll lead you there. I like her because she explains the theory behind the techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Smile First timer....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

dprod, here's a link to Marianne's blog:

I Like Markers

Welcome to the addiction!

c.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing - I am a complete newby. I have a few markers but haven't had a chance to play yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just getting into the copic craze, take my advice and buy the copic x-press it blending cardstock. You will not regret it - it allow the colors to blend beautifully and (imho) shows the true color of the marker. And if you are into digi images it works well with your printer (at least it works with my epson!). Some of the other cardstock I have used for copics was just too thick to work in my printer.
I've used a variety of paper, and some are good - PTI, Flourishes, Neenah, Cougar. But the copic x-press it is really superior for copics. It is expensive, but you only need to use it for your coloring layer, not for the card base, so you can get your moneys worth!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Hello! I actually starting buying my marker quite some time ago, but just recently started using them as they were meant to be used (trying to shade, etc). I am doing Suzanne Dean's on line beginner classes (if there were any in person classes around here (Green Bay, WI area) I would take them. The hardest thing I have, is determining the light source....it was one chapter in the class. I am not an artist and that is really challenging for me, so when shading an object or person, I am guessing quite a bit and not using the light source points very "scientifically".
I love the cardstock Suzanne Dean recommends which is Cryogen White, it has a shimmer to it. I have some xpress and am anxious to try it now. I have been buying the Copics thru ICopic.com, which has a coupon COLOR which is $8 off $75 I believe and free shipping, and their prices are great (I can't recall exactly what the sketch marker are, but they are less then $5 each). And my shipments have all come very quickly.
I love Suzanne Dean's suggestions and tip sheet on how to color the different shades of hair, that has been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

LoVe love LoVe Copic Markers and welcome to the sisterhood! Here's the top 10 things I have learned in the last 4 months. Hope this helps--sorry so long...

1. Started with and stayed with Sketch markers. Features that attracted me: Two different nibs, refillable, oval--won't roll around my desk, and I like them all to match:cool: match!:cool:

2. Free shipping is non-negotiable to me--it's got to be free! You will have to spend $50 to get free shipping. Carpe Diem charges $1.75 'signature charge' even with the minimum cuz they ship Fed Ex.

3. Price matters. I did my math Oozak came in at $4.15 bottom line, on average and the winner is Carpe Diem. I paid $4.06 a marker, bottom line, on average. It would take about 46 markers to make a difference. Here's a link to Carpe Diem:

https://www.carpediemstore.com/mlist...idCategory=298

4. Create an account. Log in. Then shop. You will see a different price--it's lower! Heed the small print.

5. Customer Service winner is Oozak. Here's why: Fabulous, instant communication, clear in their advertising, a Wish List feature, they thank you profusely for your order, super fast shipping--order & pay by 3:30 p.m. and it's in the mail that day, excluding holidays, and finally on the order pages, you can see if the marker is in stock or not. Here's their link:

ALL COLORS | SKETCH | Individual Markers | Oozak.com: 'eCustomer' Service at it's BEST!

6. Buy "on sale." The range I have paid is from $4.25 to $3.85 each. Save money = more markers!

7. Paper is most, most important. Copic X-press IT Blending Card, 8 1/2" x 11" sheets. $44.95 for 125 sheets at Oozak = $.36 a sheet. Only Copic X-press IT Blending Card for me. I'm worth it lol.

8. Strive to not buy two of the same marker. Ouch. Ask me how I know lol. I modified this Copic Color Swatch Booklet:

COLOR SWATCH BOOK from Copic

Cut it up, pasted 3 or 4 to a page, alphabetical order in a 3-ring binder. Did this so I wouldn't have to flip through 20 or so pages.

9. Gotta have something to store them in -- $9.50 at Carpe & $8.50 at Oozak--but out of stock :( there....this is what I bought:

https://www.carpediemstore.com/viewI...?idProduct=445

If I had it to do over again, I would go with this Color Cubbie:

Perfect storage solution for Copic Markers

10. Try not to lose the caps...ask me how I know lol! My craft room ate it up lol.

Whew! That was alot and I would add as a bonus...to favorite, subscribe and study the fabulous Copic masters out there! I am in awe of their skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

shirolives...I love long posts when they are chock full of info! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much for all of the great information Tammy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thank you Nikki

Quote:

Hi, so glad to meet another newbie (to Copics and this Forum).
I don't know how to post a link to Marianne's blog but you can google her and it'll lead you there. I like her because she explains the theory behind the techniques.
Thank you for your response and welcoming to this forum. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thanks C for the reference

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
dprod, here's a link to Marianne's blog:

I Like Markers

Welcome to the addiction!

c.
Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it. Go Copics....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, am I happy that you started a new site! Santa brought me 100 Sketch markers!!!
How great was that? I have studied most of the great Copic sites and watched tutorials until my eyes crossed. My family says they haven't seen me so engrossed in a project since I was in graduate school eons ago. So now I am just going to start playing and keep this wonderful thread at my elbow. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm a newbie, as well. I just got a shipping confirmation from Oozak, and I hope to see my new markers by the end of the week.

Of course, in my typical buying pattern, I have terrible buyer's remorse - what if I can't make things look pretty? :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy, thank you for all the tips!! I agree about Oozak.com - WONDERFUL customer service!!! When I bought the markers the first time, I did NOT create an account and Rusty called me almost instantly and said I could have a lower price if I did create an account!!! Wow! They are super awesome and I did get my markers lickety split each time I ordered!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

A VERY warm welcome to more newbies....not only to this thread but to SCS in general!!

Congratulations on your new markers....and/or your new markers in the mail and our wishlists....;-)

For you newbies to SCS, if you don't already know, you can subscribe to this thread. I'll write the directions in another response as soon as I remember! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

OK....here is how you subscribe:

Look at the top of a thread and click on THREAD TOOLS
The menu will drop down and click on SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD.

I always choose to have an e-mail notification....but you can pass that option and just look in your subscription folder when you have a chance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlrowleyView Post
I'm a newbie, as well. I just got a shipping confirmation from Oozak, and I hope to see my new markers by the end of the week.

Of course, in my typical buying pattern, I have terrible buyer's remorse - what if I can't make things look pretty? :-(
Don't worry . When you get the markers in your hands, you won't want to put them down. I spent some time just feeling them in my hands and looking at all of the pretty colors. If you practice, you will be able to make all kinds of pretty things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Don't worry . When you get the markers in your hands, you won't want to put them down. I spent some time just feeling them in my hands and looking at all of the pretty colors. If you practice, you will be able to make all kinds of pretty things!
LOL I placed a sketch marker in the pocket of my jacket so I could fit it to a storage item I was looking for....that was the day after Christmas. I just took it out of my pocket and sent it home to its friends in my storage container....I was enjoying feeling it my pocket this past week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Hey!!! I am a newbie too!!!
I LOVE the look I would see all the creative blogger and YouTubers were obtaining. I knew I HAD to get to to attempt to recreate similar looks. I Placed my 1st order in Sept. for my Birthday and I started out with Using the Papertrey Ink Trio chart to obtain Trio that they "claimed" to blend well. Well since that took the guess work out I figured that was a great place to start. Then I used Flourishes "sets" on their website to continue to add. then I noted all the colors my favorite bloggers were using for certain projects and would fill in with ones I did not already have.
I just finished counting and I was Shocked that I already have 182 markers!!! Shhh, don't tell my husband...I have to hide my credit card now!!!
I am so excited about this thread and can't wait to start playing and learning with you all.
Blessings,
Valerie Martin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
Hey!!! I am a newbie too!!!
I LOVE the look I would see all the creative blogger and YouTubers were obtaining. I knew I HAD to get to to attempt to recreate similar looks. I Placed my 1st order in Sept. for my Birthday and I started out with Using the Papertrey Ink Trio chart to obtain Trio that they "claimed" to blend well. Well since that took the guess work out I figured that was a great place to start. Then I used Flourishes "sets" on their website to continue to add. then I noted all the colors my favorite bloggers were using for certain projects and would fill in with ones I did not already have.
I just finished counting and I was Shocked that I already have 182 markers!!! Shhh, don't tell my husband...I have to hide my credit card now!!!
I am so excited about this thread and can't wait to start playing and learning with you all.
Blessings,
Valerie Martin
Hi Valerie! Aren't these markers horribly addictive?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

OK....I'm beside myself. I keep looking at the clock. I told myself I cannot get ready for my crop tonight until 5:00pm. I leave at 5:30pm. It is my first time to meet the instructor for the Copic class I'm taking later this month...she also hosts crops.

I will be going over my order for the markers I need/want to go with what I already have. I'm giddy with excitement and I'm "older than dirt". I cannot believe how these markers are taking over my waking thoughts! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well? How was your crop and how was the instructor and what'd she say about which markers you still ought to get?

Your excitement reminds me of when I visited my niece and nephew recently in October; I had taken my Copics with me. At first, I hid them from the kids, colouring only in secret, not wanting to share (I thought if they saw me colouring with them, they'd want to use them too). Then I couldn't restrain myself any longer and coloured with them in open view. To my vast relief and delight, my nephew did not ask to use them; instead he got out his OWN set of washable Crayola markers and started colouring next to me!! <huge grin> But my little niece (aged 3 at the time) wanted to "help" me colour. I said she could, but only if she were oh-soooooo-gentle with these markers and only if I kept my fingers on them at the same time that she was helping me, because these were "precious markers", like "baby" markers, and we had to be sooooo gentle with them like we are gentle with babies. <grin> So she agreed and ever soooo gently, she "helped" me hold the markers - her fingers right above mine - as I continued to colour away. <huge grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow! I've learned so much and have so many great links thanks to all of you who have posted the helpful hints, ideas, advice, and links. Thanks so much! And not to worry for anyone who is new and is nervous about whether or not they will be able to learn how to use them--like I said in my earlier post, I am so far from an artist its hilarious, I am an avid papercrafter, and love all things to do with cards, home decor items, speciality scrapbooks, etc., and if I can learn the basics with Copics anyone can. I am "creative" but not "artsy", if you know what I mean, and some days I even wonder where that creative "mojo" went! (That's when I really rely on SCS to help me come up with an idea). Finding the light source and mapping it out on the image is something that I have not mastered, but I still can do the basic shading of an item OK. I need lots of practice on different types of items, flowers, etc.
Can we use Copics on digitial images printed with inkjet computers or does it smear? I've only used it with Memento ink and embossed images.
Thanks again everyone! -Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Well? How was your crop and how was the instructor and what'd she say about which markers you still ought to get?
Your marker story is so sweet. Young artists in the making.

I had a sey of 10 and we only changed one. I have a LOT of Es, so we dropped my E choice and added an R choice, Now I have to wait til they get here.

The waiting gets me more than anything.

I didn't get any scarpping done....I just played with my Copics. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for all the info! I just started using Copics in December and I love them!! And with all the excitement from everyone, I know I'm going to love them even more!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Stacy - you asked about using Copics with digital images. It's a lot like regular ink... some printer ink works and some doesn't! LOL If you have a laser printer, that should work just fine. If you have an ink jet, you may have some smearing. Here's a few tips... for working with ink jet printers.

#1 - let the image dry completely before coloring. You may need to heat set the image if you don't want to wait.

#2 - you can LIGHTLY spray the image with a fixative to "set" the ink. (Krylon workable spray fixative is good... but use a VERY light coat so as not to coat the paper.)

#3 - bring the printed image to an office supply store and have them make a photo copy... that will work perfectly (but it's a pain I know...)

And for all of you NEW (and returning) Copic enthusiasts... we are giving sneak peeks for all of our new products this weekend... you can get the details HERE.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Hello fellow Copic Newbies...we have been snowed in for a few days so have had time to play with my new Copics. Yes, I love them, but find I am "outline stamp challenged". I bought one Tilda stamp, which is nice, but need some more stamps. I am NOT "hip, slick and cool", so really do not like most stamps I see on various sites. Would love to have some of your ideas.
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolyn1171View Post
Hello fellow Copic Newbies...we have been snowed in for a few days so have had time to play with my new Copics. Yes, I love them, but find I am "outline stamp challenged". I bought one Tilda stamp, which is nice, but need some more stamps. I am NOT "hip, slick and cool", so really do not like most stamps I see on various sites. Would love to have some of your ideas.
Carolyn
What kind of images to you like?

I often have a problem with finding exactly what I want, too. It has to really hit me and make think I will either use it a lot or that I love it so much that if I only use it a couple of times...it's worth it to this frugal soul. I'm then limited because I only like rubber stamps.

Have you tried looking at Google Images for coloring pages to print off....or free digi stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes