Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with all these CD's

Okay, I'm calling in the big guns. My mother works in the computer lab at a local college. They just upgraded all of their software and she asked me if I wanted the old CD's. My response was "Well, Yeah!" because I know there is something I could do with them. So she brings two big bags over. There is hundreds of them. (I wasn't quite expecting that) I'm lacking any ideas or thought on this. I have also saved all the paper envelopes they came in because I know there is something I could do with those also. lol They have the circle window in them. Any and all ideas are welcome. Quite a few of them have been deeply scratched to prevent further use as software.

Hope this make sense. I'm on cold medication and everything is a little fuzzy. :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hosted several Altered CD swaps. Because they were through a scrapbooking board, most people covered them with paper and went from there, but a few ladies covered them completely with ink and went from there.

They could be used as a scrapbook page embellishment or with a hanger as a wall decoration. If you do several in a theme, such as Christmas, you could hang them on a little tree for a home decoration.

Check out my webshots albums to see them.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:33 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry to post again, but I know I have seen jewelry made from CD shards on the Carol Duval show.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

There are ideas in the gallery, type in CD and see what happens. Great idea for earring holder that I cased and my daughter loves them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Ive seen thses hanging from a teenagers bedroom celing! ( not craft related, sorry)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #6  
Wish RAK Coordinator

Location: needs some retail therapy....now just to decide what to buy!

Wheel or stamp the envelope that they came in, use your 1/8 punch and punch holes everywhere, fill with your favorite potpourri and you have a sachet to put in your closet or a drawer.

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have saved these in my favorites because I think they would be a great project:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Hope that helps. Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Making jewelry is fun, and I've also seen lots of examples of little clocks that have been made from CD's!

...Brutal Honesty Gladly Accepted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

WOW! How lucky can a gal get!!! I was going to buy some of those sleeves, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Design Originals has a book called Walnut Ink. There are 2 projects in there using the paper CD cleeves with the plastic window. I can't attach a copy because it's copyrighted, but they made a nice accordian book and a journal.

The accordian book was made by attaching the flap to the next sleeve to the next sleeve, etc. Of course, the sleeve itself was decorated and they put artwork in the opening.

The journal was made in a similar manner, but the flap was folded in half to give it more strength. The "doubled flap" became part of the hinge of the book. Again, the window was used for artwork.

Add a cover and back to the book and the journal.

www.d-originals.com

schmoozewithsuze.com has a few tutorials using CD's.

Have fun!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default CD card

A couple of months ago I made this really cute CD card. Thought that I'd post the photos here for you to see. It was fun and really not that hard to do. You just have to make sure that the CD is warm/softened before cutting into quarters. If you're interested in detailed instructions or have any questions just email me and I'll help you out!
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with all these CD's-project14.jpg   What to do with all these CD's-project13.jpg   What to do with all these CD's-project12.jpg  

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another." ~Luciano de Crescenzo~
Click to view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default CDs

If you are overloaded with them you can send them my way!!! I had just cleaned out all of our old scratched CDs just before I realized you could stamp on them!!!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I am very interested in the detailed instructions of how to make the adorable CD card!!!! I have boxes of these in my garage and would like to make a card for all of the other Girl Scout Leaders who tease me about saving them. I work for a marketing company and place them in stores and then have to remove the old ones but I could never bring myself to throw them away.
Thanks a million,
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK where do I go and get used CDs?? Who would be the best person to ask? And I want those directions to the CD card.

Steffani
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Aol sends them out periodically, and you can get them at T., or other stores- free of course! They are usually near the ck out areas.

In the moment...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Aol sends them out periodically, and you can get them at T., or other stores- free of course! They are usually near the ck out areas.

In the moment...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

In the moment...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

You could accordion fold a sheet of cardstock the width of the sleeve bottom, then attach a sleeve bottom to one side of each mountain fold. On the opposite side of each mountain fold attach some coordinating card stock as a journal page. Use cardboard cut to size for front and back cover. attach accordian piece on the cover and back cover, then add a piece of patterned paper to seal inside both covers. This will make a terriffic little book. Inside the sleeves you could put cd's with card swaps on them, or for hostesses, scraps and tags punchouts etc. ribbon scraps.
Stamp on sticker paper and cut into sections for them to cut and color and use for embellishments. This would be great for a birthday party favor for the birthday person. Cd could hold photos of the party. My Mom (back at the turn of the century) would put a bowl upside down in the oven with a scratched record on top of it and wait for it to soften and it would make a ruffled bowl when she tood it out of the oven. If you can do this with the CD's they would make awesome Christmas tree decorations, and you could decorate the inside with childrens pictures, small christmas figurines angels, wreaths, holly, santa, small christmas bulbs and put it over a light on the tree through the cd hole and it would reflect light very well. I've been thinking about this for a long time but no cd's to use. I save all the ones I get in the mail because we have a GIANT blue spruce tree on our patio edge and I want to decorate it with weather proof decorations and that's what my idea was for it but haven't tried to make one yet.
Good Luck and if you want to send some my way that's ok too!
Dodi inky-fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I've gotten a bunch of pm's about the instructions for the cd card. I'm so glad that you all thought it was cool. I wish I could remember where I got the instructions for that thing but I can't, so I will try and put together my own instructions and post them tomorrow for everyone to see. Be patient with me though.....I'm suffering from the worst head cold of the year, going on over a week of coughing and nose blowing and still no end in sight.... Thanks!

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another." ~Luciano de Crescenzo~
Click to view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Saw 2 really cute ideas on Carol Duval.

First, using craft and rubber scissors or other really strong, short blade scissors, begin cutting out the middle in a spiral fashion, slowly working your way in. You will make a sort of spiral shaped piece to throw away. The goal is to cut at least all the clear stuff off and leave only the silvery part. This makes a great opening for a photo frame. Then procede to stamp with stazon or spray paint with a primer and then stamp away with craft ink or even classic ink. Glue on embellishments with a hot glue gun.

Second, if you have number stamps, these make really cute clocks. Buy the clock works at any crafting store really cheap, then stamp the up, using the number stamps to put numbers on your clock. Techy guys think this is the coolest gift if you use staz on and leave the silvery stuff visible. But you could also spray paint these and then design them for anybody.

Hey, this would make a great challenge. Unique serfaces challenge. Or maybe a topic for the DD gallery....

I would love to see some samples for this. I made a frame with CD's at one of my stamping classes using the stipple seashells set and real shells and some of the hemp and magic mesh... It was cute. I'd love to see what other people do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampysister
I made a frame with CD's at one of my stamping classes using the stipple seashells set and real shells and some of the hemp and magic mesh... It was cute.
Sounds cute, do you have a pic?

And Paula, I feel for you, get better real soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hosted a swap last fall. Really cute ideas came from it:

RAK'S & BRAKS received by STAMPINSTEL at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 PM   #22  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

You might see if any local birding groups want them, they're great to hang in front of picture windows to keep birds from crashing into them.

I've also seen them as Christmas ornaments - with a spray of color hot glued in the center, and the CD picks up the colors.

Mostly I just use the few I have as paint palettes.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Paula,
Feel better soon!!!

bb&kk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default Instructions for CD Card

Hi all...you're so sweet to send me such nice thoughts when I'm sick (cough, cough)! What caring, sweet folks on this site...it's amazing!!! Thank you!

You're not going to believe this, I searched high and low for my printed instructions on the CD card but could find them nowhere! That'll teach me to post something that I don't have the instructions for on hand. :oops: What was I to do (sneeze), I couldn't let everyone down (snuffle)???? I got to it and created my own instruction sheet, complete with photos...yayyyy!!!! (cough, cough)

Guess what??? (sneeze) I couldn't attach it to a post because it was too big! :( I guess I got carried away with the photos...what can I say, I'm a visual learner! :oops: So instead of attaching them here I am willing to email the instructions to anyone that would like them, just drop me a note. Please be patient if you don't get a response right away, sometimes I don't get to check my email but once a day...I will return your notes! (cough, cough)

I also plan on posting some more CD cards in the gallery but I only have so much patience with the upload time so it may take a while before they're all in there. (I'm a dial-up customer :( )

Happy StampN!!

Click to view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Paula--I would be interested in the instructions!! Hope you are feeling better real soon! Spring is finally here (only kinda in MN!), so hopefully your cold will be gone in a hurry!

Thank you so much!

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

WOW! Thank you all so much for the reply's. Especially the tip about heating the CD before cutting it. I have tried to cut them but they shatter and it really hurts my hand. I have a hard time thinking out of the box. Do you just use your heat tool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampNcraZmom
A couple of months ago I made this really cute CD card. Thought that I'd post the photos here for you to see. It was fun and really not that hard to do. You just have to make sure that the CD is warm/softened before cutting into quarters. If you're interested in detailed instructions or have any questions just email me and I'll help you out!
Your CD card is great... I have the CD's quartered and can figure out the stamping part but HOW do you fold them??? The one I tried is too tight to fold in quarters. Did you use all four quarters of the CD on each card?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

How about hosting a CD clock class? See this link to a kids crafting site: http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/clock3.html

Of course, you wouldn't just paint the CD's like in the sample...but stamp, stamp, stamp, away!
Reply With Quote Likes