Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question using chalk on tiles

Hi everyone! I have a question about using chalks on ceramic tiles. I have never used chalks yet (just started stamping in January and loving it!) and some of the pictures I have seen in the gallery have mentioned using chalks. Do I have to use versamark first then dust on the chalk? I am SO EXCITED to make some refridgerator magnets and coasters for gifts! I have everything I need to make them, just want to make sure I will be doing it correctly!

I SO LOVE THIS WEB SITE!! I'm even going to try and upload my first picture later today!!!

Thank you all for such tremendous inspiration!!!

-----------

~Debz~ :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I spray the tile with matte acrylic sealer ... a light dusting, and then use a q-tip or sponge applicator to apply the chalks. When complete, I spray with the matte or glossy sealer to completely seal the tile. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Hi - I stamp my images with Versamark, then dab the chalk on with my sponge daubers. For background colors, I use the daubers and keep going over until I have the color I want. When I'm done, I use a matte sealant. I've also made some using Stazon inks....all depends on the stamp, the type of tile I'm using and the look I want (subtle or bold). HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

You can also stamp your image with stazon ink and let dry. Then apply the chalk with your blender pen. Seal with acrylic sealer. Done!

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did what Beate did - stamped w/staz on..then chalked and sprayed to protect the color...the only thing I didn't like is the protective spray keeps the coaster/tile from being a "thirsty" coaster and absorbing a small amount ot the "sweat" off the glass. I prefer the other coasters I made with just the staz on and no chalk and no protective spray. I think its a matter of personal preference. HTH Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

What acrylic sealer do you use?

I have been using American Accents Clear Top Coat by Rust-oleum. On the can it says "Use to seal and revitalize chrome, brass, metal, or painted finishes. A perfect quick-dry finish for protecting American Accents Stone, Crackle, or other Decorative Finishes."

No where on the can does it say "acrylic.":( Have I used the wrong sealer on my FIVE SETS OF COASTERS???!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Okay, sorry for yelling *hanging head* Glad to get that out of my system!

Thanks, Beate, for sending me to this thread for help....

Carey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

i' just finished helping make tiles for mothers day with the class i'm in (teachers aide) and we used staz on to stamp the imag and used colored sharpies so the kids could write and color. It's a k-2 class and the coasters turned o ut great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know why the Stazon ink ran on my tiles when I sprayed them with the Krylon acrylic sealer?

I love the way these tiles turned out except for the ink that bled.

Any suggestions? I'm doing them at my Stamp Camp next week and want to make sure that my guests aren't as annoyed about it as I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastieChick
Does anyone know why the Stazon ink ran on my tiles when I sprayed them with the Krylon acrylic sealer?

Any suggestions? I'm doing them at my Stamp Camp next week and want to make sure that my guests aren't as annoyed about it as I am.

I'm not sure....perhaps the staz on wasn't dry yet. Sometimes people heat set inks just to make sure they are dry. Otherwise maybe the sealer was applied too close or too heavy. I would be so bummed out if that happened....this is a good place to ask "why". I'd be curious to see what other stampers think happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastieChick

Did you bake them first? I stamp with stazon, bake for 10 mins at 350 degrees. Cool. Tap pad with versamark to cover, and colour in with pastels. Bake another 10 mins at 350 degrees. Let cool, spray with sealer. I sat a glass of water on mine, allowing it to "sweat" and the ink and pastels were fine, no ink ran.

I managed to do this at a Stampers 6 workshop, we just did our other two cards in between the baking and cooling. It did help to put them outside to cool after the baking, though, as they took longer to cool than I had hoped.
Good Luck!

My blog:
http://stylishcreationsbydebbie.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I had the same problem. The way it was explained to me was that Staz-on is a solvent based ink and the acrylic spray is solvent based. So, one will remove the other. I hope this helps!!
Claudia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindseyB
I had the same problem. The way it was explained to me was that Staz-on is a solvent based ink and the acrylic spray is solvent based. So, one will remove the other. I hope this helps!!
Claudia
I did use acrylic based spray and had no problem. Perhaps baking the tiles set my ink, whereas if left unbaked it leaves the ink "open" to run? I've read alot of threads on this, and it seems what works for some doesn't work for others!!! :confused:

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny36
I did use acrylic based spray and had no problem. Perhaps baking the tiles set my ink, whereas if left unbaked it leaves the ink "open" to run? I've read alot of threads on this, and it seems what works for some doesn't work for others!!! :confused:
So how do you know if your spray is acrylic based or solvent based?? I have 'Delta Ceramcoat Matte Interior spray varnish. A protective quick-drying matte finish'

I was at our Home store today and the guy said that a spray won't stick to something slick. ie: dominoes or smooth tiles. Does anyone else know about this??
Stampin' Up! demo and lovin' it!

SCS member #30822
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I had a stamp camp where we did the tiles also; I only had problems with one tile where the ink bled. I believe my customer sprayed the Krylon too long and too close. I sprayed lightly, far away & several times and had no problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

hi there, I hope I'm answering properly cuz I am so computer shy, and I mostly just read posts, but I have got what I think is the best product and had to share...my hubby is an artist/art teacher, and he uses (and now I do too) Krylon Workable Fixative. It is the best sealer I've found, you don't even see that it is sealed, it dries in 5 minutes, no need to bake the tiles, and works perfect for both Stazon and the Versamark/Pastels! I have made, and have done stamp camps making over 100 coasters, and have never had a problemwith this product. It's the best!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingtan
hi there, I hope I'm answering properly cuz I am so computer shy, and I mostly just read posts, but I have got what I think is the best product and had to share...my hubby is an artist/art teacher, and he uses (and now I do too) Krylon Workable Fixative. It is the best sealer I've found, you don't even see that it is sealed, it dries in 5 minutes, no need to bake the tiles, and works perfect for both Stazon and the Versamark/Pastels! I have made, and have done stamp camps making over 100 coasters, and have never had a problemwith this product. It's the best!!!
Where do I find this??? My home store doesn't carry Krylon (strange, I know). I think I need this stuff.

SCS member #30822
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by my4kidzmom
So how do you know if your spray is acrylic based or solvent based?? I have 'Delta Ceramcoat Matte Interior spray varnish. A protective quick-drying matte finish'

I was at our Home store today and the guy said that a spray won't stick to something slick. ie: dominoes or smooth tiles. Does anyone else know about this??
I used DecoArt Plastercraft Acrylic Matte Spray Finish. Its a "clear, protective coating for use on wood, ceramics, plater, paper mache, and other craft projects"
As well, I only use the Tumbled Tile, which does not have a slick surface, but more of an unfinished pourus surface.

Does it not say acrylic or solvent based finish somewhere on the spray can? I've done lots of decorative art painting, and anytime I've used a spray finish, its always been acrylic. L

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

We have found it at our local artist supply store as Home Depot, Michael's, and Wal-Mart all do not carry it. Try 1-800-4KRYLON ro www.krylon.com and maybe that will help. I like this stuff too as it's acid-free/archival safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Welcome to SCS! Or at least to "posting" on SCS!! I would be interested in this product as well, especially if it cuts out on the baking step required when making the tiles. It was easy enough to do at our Club meeting, but only because we were able to put the tiles outside to cool. Had we not been able to do that, it wouldn't have worked too well. No baking would be perfect!! Please let us know where you find this Krylon product. Thanks!

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

We have found it at our local artist supply store as Home Depot, Michael's, and Wal-Mart all do not carry it. Try 1-800-4KRYLON ro www.krylon.com and maybe that will help. I like this stuff too as it's acid-free/archival safe.
Thanks!

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you everyone for all the awesome advice!! I had purchased plain old white matte finish 4 1/2 in. tiles and have been too afraid to try anything with them. After reading posts in here, looking at pictures in gallery and talking to some people at a stamp show this weekend, today I returned my matte finish tiles and have purchased a tumbled tile - not sure of actual name at this time. I really am excited to try and do some of these coasters, but it's the coloring part that really scares me. I have versamark, I have chalks (no blender pens yet :( ) and I have a large pack of sharpies. I also have the krylon sealer. What is the best way to achieve color without it looking like I've colored in a coloring book......if that makes any sense.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Krylon Workable Fixatif

hey there, I just phoned the 1-800-4KRYLON, and they were great. Apparently, Michael's does carry Workable Fixatif (yes, that is how it is spelled). Both Michael's in my hometown of Winnipeg have purchased it within the last month, that's how specific Krylon is! Hope it helps someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

TWO things:
I used tumbled travertine (marble) tiles--home depot--only $6 for 9 of them in the do-it-yourself tile area--come in a cello pkg, Jeffrey Court, Inc. was the manufacturer of mine.

Stamped with Stazon and dried it with heat gun. Then painted in the designs (used In Full Bloom) with Stazon colors on one, craft ink on another. dried a little with heat gun. Then baked in the oven for 30 minutes--I think I did 350 or 400 degrees. Did NOT spray with anything. Design staying on just fine--in fact I tried to scrub it off with a sponge & it didn't budge.

The Stazon colors give a more transparent look, the craft ink is pretty opaque.

I found this info somewhere on the net--thank you to whoever did it.

ALSO: I actually found Krylon Workable Fixatif at WalMart in the craft dept, by the fine art & drawing stuff. It's also used by pencil & colored pencil artists. That's probably where you'd find it in Michael's, too.

Melody
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Why The Stazon ran

[QUOTE=CoastieChick]Does anyone know why the Stazon ink ran on my tiles when I sprayed them with the Krylon acrylic sealer?

Any suggestions? I'm doing them at my Stamp Camp next week and want to make sure that my guests aren't as annoyed about it as I am.[/QUOT

Hi

The Stazon ink bled because you either sprayed to thick or was to close. Both will make it bleed. Good Luck and have fun stamping.

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony60
TWO things:
I used tumbled travertine (marble) tiles--home depot--only $6 for 9 of them in the do-it-yourself tile area--come in a cello pkg, Jeffrey Court, Inc. was the manufacturer of mine.

Stamped with Stazon and dried it with heat gun. Then painted in the designs (used In Full Bloom) with Stazon colors on one, craft ink on another. dried a little with heat gun. Then baked in the oven for 30 minutes--I think I did 350 or 400 degrees. Did NOT spray with anything. Design staying on just fine--in fact I tried to scrub it off with a sponge & it didn't budge.

The Stazon colors give a more transparent look, the craft ink is pretty opaque.

I found this info somewhere on the net--thank you to whoever did it.

ALSO: I actually found Krylon Workable Fixatif at WalMart in the craft dept, by the fine art & drawing stuff. It's also used by pencil & colored pencil artists. That's probably where you'd find it in Michael's, too.

Melody
Thanks, Melody!

I bought some tumbled tiles today; 10 4x4 for $7 and 36 2x2 for $11. I want to make something for the teachers for the end of the year and I think a coaster with some other stuff would be great. Now I just need to find this Krylon Workable Fixatif!!

One other question: would this Krylon stuff work on smooth dominoes?? I have some mini ones I want to make into key chains but the stuff I have makes the stazon and sharpies run.

Ok, another question: how do you fill in the image with your craft ink? Do you use a q-tip? Blender pen? just wondering. I only just recently got the craft spots and don't know that much about them.

SCS member #30822
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Hi,
I have been reading posts about coloring on tumbled tile. I have used the staz-on ink and colored with pastels... just rubbed on with a q-tip. I have to say that this worked well. I messed up on a tile and soaked it in bleach over night and guess what.... the stazon disappeared and the chalk was still there! Just thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default stamping on tiles

We did a coaster at a stamping class, floral stamp with brown staz on ink, on 4x4 tile, then heated with a heat gun until the ink looked dry, and it stays on. Mine is by my computer and I have used it everyday. It soaks up the moisture and does not bleed. we put slightly smaller stick on cork squares on the bottom. We are all going to make them for gifts for teachers, stylists, etc, for christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Has any one stamped on smothed tile, and did it come out okay. How did you do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 04:16 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have also used this and never had any problems at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Default Tiles

Hey I like this idea it sounds like just what I would need for tile work. I'll have to give it a go. TFS
lynn:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had Staz-On bleed as well. I found that I put too much spray on it and it had pooled and that is where it bled. Fortunately, the design wasn't totally ruined. All the other tiles were fine. Use several light coats - just like putting on nail polish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeAnne Pugliese
I had a stamp camp where we did the tiles also; I only had problems with one tile where the ink bled. I believe my customer sprayed the Krylon too long and too close. I sprayed lightly, far away & several times and had no problems!
Reply With Quote Likes