Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Tutorial: How to use your ink pads as markers/water color paints

Hi all, hope you are having a great day! I just did my first tutorial and would love your feed back. The tutorial takes you step by step to using your stamping spots as markers/water colors, and since this is my first attempt at a tutorial your input is much appreciated!

The tutorial is designed more for the beginning stamper, especially those who do not have much experience in water color technique. So if you are just starting out make sure to visit and email me with any questions you have.

Click here to go directly to the post, or you can go to my blog, AfterHoursStamper.blogspot.com (right now the tutorial is at the top).

Ok, am now off to make some more cards. : )
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your tutorial is fantastic - I LOVE that you suggest to stamp the image a few times before starting - so you can practice. I can't count how many times I've stamped an image, started coloring, messed up and then got frustrated because I had already cleaned the stamp and put it aside. It would be so much more relaxing to have several stamped images laid out for that purpose. There are several times where you want to test something out on scrap before applying to the real thing and what a great way to achieve that. I will put this practice into play today!

I have the Whispers ink pad caddy which have smaller stamp pads - not as big as SU full size and not as small as their spots - but the lid works like the spots so you can't squeeze the lid onto the pad for the color - so I have never used them for watercoloring. It hadn't occured to me to stamp them on a transparancy to use for that purpose - so I think that's an awesome tip for beginners and those who have stamped for awhile, too. There's so many techniques that you forget about unless you come across a great tutorial like yours.

Thank you for sharing! I'm adding your blog to my faves and will keep checking back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I forgot - I would love to know who makes the stamp you used for that tutorial, too - it's so pretty! I love the finished card as well - you're really good at watercoloring
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thank you for the feedback

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitziView Post
I forgot - I would love to know who makes the stamp you used for that tutorial, too - it's so pretty! I love the finished card as well - you're really good at watercoloring
The stamp is made by Magenta, it is called Doodle Cone Flower Tile, here is a link to the pdf of part of their catalog.

I want to order some more stamps from them, they have some fantastic stamps, especially if you like to color in the image.

Here is their catalog link, click on the various categories to see the images, I love their "nature" themes....GREAT stamps.

Thanks for the feed back on the tutorial, I actually went back to rubber stamping because of a desire to learn to water color. I am really glad that you found the tutorial informational : ) As a matter of fact, I ended up using the image that was supposed to be "practice" for the card, so I still have a "good image" I can play with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your tutorial is great, so easy to follow along, i really need all the help i can get with watercoloring. I will keep practicing.

smallcity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great tutorial. It was well written and easy to understand. I agree that you tip to stamp several images to practice was a great one. I love the idea to stamp the ink on the transparency. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I tried to post a comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the link, I forgot about using this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordyns-momView Post
I tried to post a comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the link, I forgot about using this technique.
Your comments showed up I approve the comments so it takes a little time for them to be made public.

I want to try, maybe, tomorrow, to video the tutorial (lord help us, need to get my nails done first lol)

Might make the video more of a how to water color? Use different "paints?" Not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Wonderful tutorial, I have been looking for something like this! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 268 Likes on 136 Posts

This definitely goes on my list. I'd never thought of that. Would it work with regular watercolor brushes as well? Thanks so much for all the information. It was very clear for someone like me who knows nothing about this. Can't wait to try it.

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, what a great tutorial! I do believe I've just about learned a new technique! Sorry it took way longer than anticipated; however, the end result is a great step-by-step tutorial that even I can follow. yeah. Thanks so much; this is really great!
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by eured99View Post
This definitely goes on my list. I'd never thought of that. Would it work with regular watercolor brushes as well? Thanks so much for all the information. It was very clear for someone like me who knows nothing about this. Can't wait to try it.
One hint to learning how to water color: experiment! I will play with my stamped images and sometimes hate the way they turn out, sometimes I find an easier way of doing something, and so on.

I love to layer color when water coloring, if you use just one color, you can apply the color to the outline of the stamp and spread the color inwards (the color will be lighter and you will get some nice shading). Also try wetting your paper before applying the color and watch what happens (the color will spread and be very soft, fun way to do a background with layers of color), then let that dry, and add another color: wet PART of what you have just painted, and wet a non colored area of the stamp near the first color you laid down....see what happens ; )

Will try to do another video on how to lay down wet on wet color, as well as a few other things I have found while fooling around with water colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post
Wow, what a great tutorial! I do believe I've just about learned a new technique! Sorry it took way longer than anticipated; however, the end result is a great step-by-step tutorial that even I can follow. yeah. Thanks so much; this is really great!
I have a whole new level of respect for stampers who routinely post tutorials. And of course because I am a glutton for punishment, I had to go and do a video of this technique as well! Needless to say there is much room for improvement on the video, however it at least shows how your image looks when layering colors.

Thank you for letting me know that the tutorial was helpful. Stamping is so much a part of my being and I just love to share and learn from everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your suggestion is one worth paying attention to! Thanks so much. There's no excuse now for my not sitting down and trying this myself. Thanks again.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

FANTASTIC Job! Thanks for that tutorial...I am going to give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to commited
Default Love your Tutorial

Hi ! I just wanted to reiterate what others have so graciously said regarding your tutorial. It is fantastic. I love it. Your steps are so clear and easy to follow. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
Hi all, hope you are having a great day! I just did my first tutorial and would love your feed back. The tutorial takes you step by step to using your stamping spots as markers/water colors, and since this is my first attempt at a tutorial your input is much appreciated!

The tutorial is designed more for the beginning stamper, especially those who do not have much experience in water color technique. So if you are just starting out make sure to visit and email me with any questions you have.

Click here to go directly to the post, or you can go to my blog, AfterHoursStamper.blogspot.com (right now the tutorial is at the top).

Ok, am now off to make some more cards. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

This is a GREAT tutorial....clear and concise....and using a transparency for your ink is a truly brilliant idea. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I don't know if you call them felt-tips in the USA but if you scribble on acetate with a kids colouring pen and use a tiny bit of water on the end of a paint brush you can get some really great colours.

They have so little pigment that they come out as pastel colours. And you use likea water colour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

thanks for the great tips.....i will definately give this a try. elise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, what a great idea! Your tutorial was really well done and it was vey detailed and concise.
Thanks so much!
Deb

Last edited by dmurray407; 01-06-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

This is a great tutorial. Even though I am not a newbie to watercoloring, I learned something. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great tutorial! Being new to stamping, I need all the help and tips I can get. It is alot more than inking a stamp on a pad and then pressing the stamp to paper. This tutorial explains exactly what to do. And with the Hints, it makes it very easy to understand how everything works. I have printed it out and will keep it in my binder of instructions. I love the watercolor effect and have tried it a couple of times, but I still need more practice. Stamping the image several times should keep me from being frustrated and will make it easier to produce a good-looking card.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes