Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tim holtz & glimmer mist

Does anyone know a recipe for making your own glimmer mist sprays using acrylic craft paints? I cannot locate glimmer mists at either acmoore or Michaels. Any ideas on how to make the masks or screens to be used while spraying?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I haven't tried it with acrylic paint but reinkers work great - just put a shot of ink and a little scoop of Perfect Pearls in a mister with some water, shake and spray. I'm not sure how much colour you'll get from acrylic paint if you dilute it enough for it to spray through the tiny nozzle of a mister - I'd try it out without putting the Perfect Pearls in and spray on scrap paper, just to see how it goes without wasting too much by way of supplies.

You can make masks/screens all kinds of ways. Easiest is probably die cut shapes - use acetate if you want them to be reusable and put a tiny bit of repositionable adhesive on the back to keep them in place while you spray. Similarly, you can hand cut shapes from either paper or acetate. Lots of stuff you have laying around can be used as a mask, too - try hedge clippings for an interesting effect (pic attached of one I did this way), sequin waste, plastic canvas, netting bags from oranges or other produce... basically if it's flattish, has an interesting shape and/or holes in it, you can spray mist over it!

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
tim holtz & glimmer mist-gingersnapthankyou.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Angelnorth,
Thank you so much for your reply and ideas. Although Michael's and ACMoore do not sell reinkers either, I have one that I ordered online a while ago. I will try that as well as your mask ideas. Do you know if alcohol inks can be used instead of reinkers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

You can always order the products online. Archiver's carries both Tattered Angels and Ranger Inks. They don't have an online store, but you can call one of the stores, order by phone and they will ship it to you.

http://thetrashqueen.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

P.S. Call the Raleigh store and tell them I sent you! ;)

http://thetrashqueen.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjamesView Post
Do you know if alcohol inks can be used instead of reinkers?
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that you shouldn't use alcohol inks in misters - something to do with the pressure building up? I don't remember the detail, I'm afraid. Of course alcohol inks wouldn't mix with water either, it would have to be rubbing alcohol and I'm not sure I'd want to be inhaling anything that came off the mix as I sprayed!

I agree that you might be best off to buy these things online if you can't get them locally but if you prefer not to shop online, do any of your stores have "fine art" supplies? There are acrylic inks for artists that might be a better bet than your acrylic paints since they are inky consistency but highly pigmented so you'll get good colour density out of them - they can be used for calligraphy or for colouring images. Or airbrush inks might be another possibility - just make sure they can be mixed with water (look for clean-up information on the label, if you need to use a solvent for clean up then they won't mix with water).

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently I was in an Archivers store wishing to purchase a Glimmer Mist color that they did not have. They were featuring Tim Holtz products that week, so they had many of the products sitting out. A gal who was helping me showed me to put the alcohol blending solution, and a couple drops of the metallics mixture alcohol inks into a mini mister, shake and spray. The result was very pretty. I don't however, know anything about it being a problem putting this mixture in a mini mister, nor have I tried this myself. I think Tim Holtz shows using a mini mister, perfect pearls and water in one of his videos. It looked very pretty, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I am so glad that this thread was on today...I was watching a few YouTube videos last night on this very subject...

It seems that the general recipe for this homemade version is

1 2-4 oz fine mist spray bottle filled approx 3/4 full of WARM water
add approx 1/2 teaspoon (it was actually about 4 large plops) of any liquid glue...some used glassy accents some used elmers, some used Matha Stewart, some used Aleen's tacky...so I guess what ever you have on hand. And SHAKE till well blended.

Then add a few dollops of acrylic paint color of choice and shake again

Then add either perfect pearls or Pearl EX Mica Powder till desired color and shimmer are achieved.

I think the "selling point" for Perfect Pearls is the fact that the binder in already in the Powder and don't need a fixative...So...I would think that if you are using the Perfect Pearls brand that you would probably omit the addition of the liquid Glue. IMO

I am fixing to try this "recipe" this weekend and I can let you know. I have both Perfect pearls and Pearl EX and i think I am going to try it with the less expensive Pearl EX.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default perfect pearls v. pearl ex

[QUOTE=Angelnorth;16619728]I haven't tried it with acrylic paint but reinkers work great - just put a shot of ink and a little scoop of Perfect Pearls in a mister with some water, shake and spray.

Can you tell me what the difference is, if there is one, between Perfect Pearls and Pearl Ex? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Perfect Pearls has a binder in it so you do not have to "set" it with anything--it won't rub off. Pearl Ex does not have this.

http://sugarstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the create a shade paint from ctmh, reinkers and water in a mister too.
love it and the shimmer is perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

If you want the Tim Holtz effect you can use the distress reinkers in your mix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I've had no problems with alcohol inks in my mini misters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Acrylic Paints for Shimmer Mist

Although instructions are available for mixing with acrylic paints and Pearl Ex powders, I hesitate to do this after having destroyed so many spray bottles. Pearl Ex clogs the tiny hole in the sprayer and acrylic paints are not water-soluble, which raises concerns about how they will behave after a period of non-use (if you're likely to get distracted before you use it up).

I found two sets of re-inkers at Michaels (with coupon, of course) and have mixed them with 90% rubbing alcohol and Stampin Ups' Shimmer Paints. They work wonderfully! You can blend the inks to suit and in the quantity you need, and adjust the mixture as you go.

Liquid watercolor paint should work also, though I haven't tried it. The only concern is lightfastness as my paints are kids' washable watercolors. Twinkling H2O's now come in a spray but are not lightfast. It depends on how you plan to use and store your piece.

A cut-down box makes a great spray booth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim Holtz has a great You Tube video on how to make all different colors of glimmery mists with his reinkers and Pearl Ex. It is at [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v+9zm5JTf20xs
I bought his mister kit and plan to make my own to get the colors I want. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I put a letter wrong on the link. It is [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v.9zm5JTf20xs Hope I got it right this time. I also edited the original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Subbing, Glimmer mist is soooooooooooooooooooooo expensive over here and hard to come by (New Zealand) making it would be the way to go for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe this is the correct link to TH's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zm5J...eature=related
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is GASS...

Then you can use Perfect Pearls, H20, inkers basically anything you want except craft paint!

GASS (this came from SCS years ago)
Gum Arabic Sealing Solution (GASS)

GASS seals things like Whisper White and Very Vanilla craft pads, metallic pads, Versamark with PE, and Poppin' Pastels to keep them from smudging.

Lots of people use hairspray as a sealant and/or PE base; however, while it has polymers that will give you the bond that you're looking for, it also has chemicals that are not acid-free. Because it is *not* acid-free, deterioration will begin in a fairly short period of time, yellowing your creation.

1 Part *LIQUID* Gum Arabic
4 Parts Water
2 Parts Alcohol

Shake *well* before each use.

To make "Pearl Ex Shimmer Spray", add Part Pearl Ex in your choice of color to the GASS in fine-mist spray bottle. I generally add 1/4 part PE (that is: 1/4 of whatever measuring standard I've used to make the GASS...if I've been using tsp, then I add 1/4 tsp; if I've been using Tbsp, then I add 1/4 Tbsp.) You can add more or less, depending upon your specific needs.

Q. Can I use powdered Gum Arabic?
A. Yes - but be sure to mix it directly with the alcohol *first* before adding the water. I personally have not found the powder to be as effective as the liquid, but know that I could have used an inferior brand or "old" powder. In my experience, I have found the powder does not blend or mix nearly as well as the liquid.

Q. What kind of alcohol should I use?
A. I prefer either white brandy or vodka. Some people prefer rubbing alcohol. It doesn't really matter: what you're after is non-colored alcohol which will facilitate quick drying of the sealant.

Q. I've got it mixed, but it still appears to be "separated" like an oil-and-vinegar dressing. What did I do wrong?
A. Absolutely nothing! The Gum Arabic is heavier than the water/alcohol mixture. It has temporarily settled on the bottom. Just give your solution a hearty shaking to remix it. Over time, the Gum Arabic will cease to separate so dramatically; however, you'll still need to shake it well before every use.

Q. Now that it's mixed, how do I use it?
A. Mist the GASS into the air once or twice, and wave the image through the mist a few times. The GASS should dry almost immediately. If you're not convinced it did the trick, repeat the process. It will *definitely* be set the second time. Try to avoid spraying GASS *directly* onto your image - it will just look like a "splat" and likely won't cover the entirety of your intended area.

OK...I have been doing this for 5 years and never had a problem, I use POWDERED Gum Arabic and I use 91% alcohol (or gin or vodka) and DISTILLED water...Works great!

I also buy the 50 cent spray bottle in the travel aisle at Wal-Mart for misting!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I recently made some shimmer mist using Perfect Pearls & Tim Holtz distress reinkers in his mini misters & the results are beautiful! I've also mixed Stampin Up's reinker with Perfect Pearls & it works just as well.
The shimmer is pretty on paper, flowers & ribbon too.
Thankfully I haven't had any problems with clogging in the mini mister. I used my Michael's coupons to buy a few spray mister 4 packs so I could have a bunch of mixed colors ready to go.
I love this technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
All you need is GASS...

Then you can use Perfect Pearls, H20, inkers basically anything you want except craft paint!
You don't need Gum Arabic for Perfect Pearls - the product already has a resin in there that becomes permanent when combined with water. If you're using Pearl Ex or one of the other "plain" mica powders then the Gum Arabic recipe is what you need but one of the reasons I love my Perfect Pearls is that I don't need anything other than plain old water and I'm good to go!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjamesView Post
Does anyone know a recipe for making your own glimmer mist sprays using acrylic craft paints? I cannot locate glimmer mists at either acmoore or Michaels. Any ideas on how to make the masks or screens to be used while spraying?
I made my own glimmer mist spray using Mod Podge, Water, and Pearl EX powders..colored them with T. Holtz Distress Inks and/or S-UP Reinkers and the spray(s) are working great..for me! NOTE: This recipe will NOT work in the Mini Misters (because of the Mod Podge) but purchased a couple small spray bottles at Target and all is good...works for me anyway!!

Use equal amts. of water and Mod Podge...I used 2 Tbls. each..but with just a TAD bit more water...hope this helps...give it a try and let me know!! OK?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Acrylic paint and water

I have made successful shimmery mist sprays just using shimmery acrylic craft paints and water.

I just blob about a teaspoon of the paint (gold, silver, copper, pearl, etc. which, already, has the shimmer in it) into a mister (travel type not Mini Mister) and add water to 3/4s full. Shake and use. Shake each time before use.

It works and it's pretty inexpensive!

P.S. If you want a different colour, just add a dab of a different colour acrylic paint into the mix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlicesueView Post
I have made successful shimmery mist sprays just using shimmery acrylic craft paints and water.

I just blob about a teaspoon of the paint (gold, silver, copper, pearl, etc. which, already, has the shimmer in it) into a mister (travel type not Mini Mister) and add water to 3/4s full. Shake and use. Shake each time before use.

P.S. If you want a different colour, just add a dab of a different colour acrylic paint into the mix.
This is the recipe I've seen before and people swear it works well. I haven't tried it yet, but I have some pearl paints and this will breathe new llife into them since they've been sitting in a box for a long long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlicesueView Post

Do you think you could modify the recipe (by using less paint) and use a mini mister? TIA for your response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Do you think you could modify the recipe (by using less paint) and use a mini mister? TIA for your response.
I think if you kept it to 1 part paint and 3 parts water you could make any amount you want. Probably just a teaspoon in a mini mister filled with water would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I use a few drops of gum arabic with Pearl Ex in a mini mister to make a mist that doesn't rub off. Or you could dissolve powdered gum arabic in water with Pearl Ex, if that's what you have on hand.

if I use Perfect Pearls, I don't use the gum arabic.
Reply With Quote Likes