Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweetened condensed milk

Several years ago I made a card using sweetened condensed milk and heating it with an embossing tool. It looked soooo cool! I can't remember how it was done. And of course, the card is gone. Has anyone heard of this technique and how do you do it? Help :confused:

Deb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I've seen the technique. It's in a magazine (I think it's an old Stampers sampler) that is hiding somewhere in the house so it may be another day or so before I find it. I will post it then.

I was always concerned that the condensed milk would go soft and attract insects. (I live on an sand island in the subtropics and it's like a giant ants nest here) Did you have any problems with your card?

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #3  
8 Cow Woman

Put a paper towel in the bottom of a dish or on a plate, folded up a few times. This is your 'ink pad'.

Take some sweetened condensed milk and pour it on your 'ink pad' till it's soaked.

Ink your stamp up with on this 'ink pad' and stamp on c/s. White or vanilla c/s works the best.

Heat set your stamped image. It's going to smell like burnt milk while it's heat setting, just keep that in mind. It'll go a lovely caramel color, parts might bubble up a bit. It's pretty cool.

I live in Canada, in the Prairies. I haven't had a problem with bugs on my card after I did this, in a more tropical place you might. So mail it to me! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #4  
Babe-Alicious!!

interesting. gonna put that in the "to do" pile. thanks for the instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #5  
8 Cow Woman

You're welcome
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Neat idea! I have never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much for the info ladies. I wish we could all get together to make "sweetened condensed milk cards". Just think, we would have women from all over the world! I love it!! If you come to my house, call before you arrive and I'll have warm chocolate chip cookies and hot coffee ready for you! It is very cold here, about -20 degrees F. So wear your mittens!! Happy stamping!

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I did this too. The smell made me hungry! It was a great look though. You could also sponge it on and heat it to just get a textured look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

k, this is one I have never even heard of... why are we doing this? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'd like to know that too! What happens to the stamp too, does milk hurt the rubber at all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenHooverView Post
k, this is one I have never even heard of... why are we doing this? ;)
Wow, thanks ya'll, what a kewl idea!! I just gotta know too... as Jen said, why are we doing this? :confused: After the milk is *cooked*, is that the finished product, or, do we color the image or what?? Does the milk turn puffy or raised from the heat? Could Pearl Ex or fine glitter be sprinkled over the milk before heating to get a shimmery look afterward?
I wonder if.. after cooking, paint/color w/ Future Floor Finish & Pearl Ex - including the stamped, cooked image lines. That might seal the milk and banish the wee creepy crawlies?!? I always use a small paintbrush dipped in FFF/PE mixed instead of filling the water brush w/ FFF.
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

This mention of condensed milk took me straight back to my grandmother's kitchen over fifty years ago. I adored condensed milk and Nana used to give me a heaped tablespoon of this heavenly concoction to lick slowly from the spoon whenever she used it in a recipe. Think I might have to buy a tin and try this technique. LOL.... if there's any left when I've finished spoon-licking.

Thanks for stirring the memory Deb.

Marion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Found the magazine - Rubber Stamper, April/May 2004. It uses the milk in several different ways on 2 cards.

It has lots more ideas on how to use the condensed milk so will try to summarize without plagiarising. The main purpose of the c. milk seems to be to add texture though, in the photos of cards, the colour looks good all by itself. The caramelized milk also remains slightly sticky allowing pigment powders to be added.

The first card was of seahorses in the ocean surrounded by seaweed.
For the background sheet they painted the c. milk onto card (not covering entirely) and heated to caramelise � it will remain tacky allowing application of pigment powders using a dry paintbrush. For one project they then filled open areas with a clear embossing marker and applied more pigment powders.

On a second piece of card c. milk was applied to stamp with a paintbrush and stamped twice without reapplying c. milk � gave a lovely 3D effect � the reduced 3D on the 2nd image really enhances the sense of perspective. On this same piece of card they painted a small amount in the lower corner and heated, then used a foliage stamp inked with a rainbow dye inkpad and stamped and twisted the stamp several times followed by sponging ink around and highlighting the caramelised area with pigment powders. This card was layered over the background sheet.

It sounds weird but looks truly wonderful. I wish I could post the pictures but I think that would be a major breach of etiquette and copyright. If anyone knows different, let me know and I can do a scan.

I still have doubts about its keeping qualities (the card - not the remainder of the condensed milk:lol particularly in a humid climate. Sealing it sounds like a good idea but I wonder if it needs to be left for a while to dry out more.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

wow, I looked it up in the gallery and they actually have cards there made with technique. interesting. might be one that I need to try...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Can you tell me where to look in the gallery to find cards made with this technique? When I typed in "condensed milk", nothing came up. Thanks!!

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Can you tell me where to look in the gallery to find cards made with this technique? When I typed in "condensed milk", nothing came up.
Try this Forums at Splitcoaststampers
or this
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
There are 2 pages of cards

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Ok I am now a little obsessed � spent the last hour finding these links:
Photo of front cover featuring the card here http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art37661.asp
And a larger one here http://orientalstampart.com/v-web/ga...er2004april050

http://www.inkartist.net/2004/03/swe...ead.html#links
includes how to clean your sticky stamps afterwards! And http://www.inkartist.net/2004/03/swe...ood.html#links
showing some more samples.

And finally a discussion: http://www.form-a-lines.com/forum/vi...c83c2be9d4fd08
Where the following observations were made
�Paint condensed milk onto rubber stamp fairly thick then make image on card, next use your heat gun and it goes brownish and starts to bubble and rise. They say it makes the card smell good too.�
�It was a pretty cool effect...and no, it doesn't attract bugs! It dries hard, and while it may have a slight lingering smell, apparently it's not sticky or anything. Makes a sort of interesting brown patchy effect.� which seems to answer my question about bugs, etc. though I may still wait until the dry months of the year... or not??? I really want to try this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Circe,

You rock!

Thanks!

I've yet to get a heat gun but hair dryer should work. Yum! Going to buy 2 cans. LOL

Ying
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

OK, does it spoil? It is a milk product and even though it is heated and processed, would it get old after a while?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Totally off stamping, but have you ever made caramel pie w/ sweetened condensed milk? Put 2 unopened cans in water (about 1/2 way up the cans) in heavy sauce pan. Weight down your cans, my DS uses other cans on top of the milk. Simmer for about 3 hours, turning the cans occassionally and add water as needed. Pour into a graham cracker crust. Drizzle chocolate syrup over the top and cut in to be fancy. Put in the freezer until cold and set up. Store in the freezer. A little bit will do ya, very rich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambystamperView Post
Totally off stamping, but have you ever made caramel pie w/ sweetened condensed milk? Put 2 unopened cans in water (about 1/2 way up the cans) in heavy sauce pan. Weight down your cans, my DS uses other cans on top of the milk. Simmer for about 3 hours, turning the cans occassionally and add water as needed. Pour into a graham cracker crust. Drizzle chocolate syrup over the top and cut in to be fancy. Put in the freezer until cold and set up. Store in the freezer. A little bit will do ya, very rich.
Oh stop, I'm on a diet! LOL. Now I want to make a pie and stamp w/milk too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Don't have graham crackers here but did something very similar with either a biscuit or pastry crust, and lashings of whipped cream. Stored it in the fridge - as kids we must have had cast iron stomachs because there was no such thing as "a little bit".:mrgreen:

Quote:

OK, does it spoil? It is a milk product and even though it is heated and processed, would it get old after a while?
Back on topic, I am remembering some of my painting history. Several hundred years ago, painters mixed their own paints. One type was made with egg, and milk paint was originally made with milk. So I am thinking that there is something in the protein that must change chemically and bind with pigments or whatever. Makes me feel more comfortable about giving this a try. I will now have to go and locate a book I have on artists materials and will report back my findings.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a coooool idea! I think I'll have to try this tomorrow - it sounds like a fun kids craft idea too (as long as the adult does the heat gun). Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I never have, but I just might. I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand, since we came back from costco.
Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeneralsWifeView Post
Quote:

I will now have to go and locate a book I have on artists materials and will report back my findings.
Milk contains a component called casein that is still a major component of paints today. In the past milk paint was made with milk that had curdled and separated so spoiling should not be a problem. They used the curd to make the paint. In any case the condensing process seems to prevent spoilage, has already removed much of the moisture content and the further heating in this technique removes the remaining moisture.

And milk paints are very durable. Here is an extract from http://www.realmilkpaint.com/ Milk paint (casein paint) has been in use for hundreds of years. Documentation shows early 16th century painters recognized milk paint as having "much tenacity." There are antiques around today with their original coating of milk paint.

I really thought the sugar would be a major problem but I found a whole section in my artists book on mixing paint using sugar/honey etc. Apparently it acts as a plasticizer - giving smoothness. Gum drops and glycerin tablets have even been used to mix up paints.

So there you have it. There is heaps more but I doubt anyone wants a chemistry lesson - just enough info to know it's a practical medium to use. I have really enjoyed dipping back into my Artist's Handbook - it must be 20 years since I've read it in such depth and to such good purpose, so thanks to the OP for bringing up this topic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for posting all these interesting artist tidbits as well. I am very intrigued in it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Condensed Milk is also the basis of Banoffee Pie Yummy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for that recipe. Sounds really good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Hi, just found this thread. Since it was posted, has anyone tried it? Any luck and what techniques did you use? Want to try it but want to see how you ladies did in this project? Was it pretty easy? What did you use on top of the condensed milk after you heated it? Has anyone tried pearl Ex on " top" of the bubble effect? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm a hands on person--so I need a lot of help--thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Ok--I had to check out Prudence-Lola's link to the pie--It sounds so good, but I had to convert it so I could understand when I actually try to make it. After looking up metric conversions and English ingredients, I came up with this conversion to the pie:

Banoffi Pie Recipe (to serve 8-10 people)

The secret of this delicious pudding lies in the condensed milk.
Immerse the cans unopened in a deep pan of boiling water. Cover and boil for 5 hours making sure that the pan does not boil dry.* Remove the tin from the water and allow to cool completely before opening. Inside you will find the soft toffee filling. Banoffi is a marvellous "emergency" pudding once you have the toffee mixture in your store cupboard. We therefore suggest that you boil several cans at the same time as they keep unopened indefinitely. *CAUTION It is absolutely vital to top up the pan of boiling water frequently during the cooking of the cans. 5 hours is a long time and if they are allowed to boil dry the cans will explode causing a grave risk to life, limb and kitchen ceilings.

1 unbaked pie crust
1.5 “toffeed” cans condensed milk (13.5 ounces each) (see above)
1.5 pounds firm bananas
375ml (12.7 oz.) of double cream (may subst. heavy cream)
1/2 teaspoon powdered instant coffee
2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
A little freshly ground coffee

Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 10in x 1.5in flan tin. Line this with the pastry thinly rolled out. Prick the base all over with a fork and bake blind until crisp. Allow to cool.

Whip the cream with the instant coffee and sugar until thick and smooth. Spread the toffee over the base of the cooled pastry. Peel and halve the bananas lengthwise and lay them on the toffee. Finally spoon or pipe on the cream and lightly sprinkle over the freshly ground coffee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeneralsWifeView Post
I haven't tried this technique, but when I worked in a daycare, we fingerpainted with condensed milk coloured with food colouring. That was 8 years ago, and mine is still in my sample file, and it hasn't gone off. It wasn't heated, but I don't know if that would make a difference. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #32  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

My Aunt makes the best candy using condensed milk cooked this way. Yum!
Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Finally spoon or pipe on the cream and lightly sprinkle over the freshly ground coffee.
A bit of grated chocolate is a nice alternative to the sprinkled coffee. Good work on the conversion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by InlovewithHimView Post
Thank you so much for the info ladies. I wish we could all get together to make "sweetened condensed milk cards". Just think, we would have women from all over the world! I love it!! If you come to my house, call before you arrive and I'll have warm chocolate chip cookies and hot coffee ready for you! It is very cold here, about -20 degrees F. So wear your mittens!! Happy stamping!

Deb

ok whos chipping in on my flight ticket he he:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by monniegirlView Post
Hi, just found this thread. Since it was posted, has anyone tried it? Any luck and what techniques did you use? Want to try it but want to see how you ladies did in this project? Was it pretty easy? What did you use on top of the condensed milk after you heated it? Has anyone tried pearl Ex on " top" of the bubble effect? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm a hands on person--so I need a lot of help--thanks
After reading all the great information I ran to my craft room to experiment. I took SU's Stipple butterfly, stamped it on vanilla cardstock with Versa mark,sprinkled on black embossing powder and heated it. Then I thinned a small amount of sweetened condensed milk with a little water, took a stencil brush and applied a small amount of the milk to the embossed butterfly. I heated it with my embossing tool until it bubbled and turned brown. It turned out nice so I used it to make a birthday card. Then I experimented some more... I tried sprinkling clear embossing powder and glitter over the milk and heating it. It was interesting. I'm having lots of fun anyway!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

the spring 2007 issue of stampington inspirations calls it milk resist! 1/2 skim and 1/2 condensed milk! you ladies got me intrigued! i think that was what made me buy the issue in the first place and i never tried it! now i will have to !

karen adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #37  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribing for later reference!! fascinating thread!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with Deborah. Very fascinating thread. I will have to give this a try sometime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Just subscribing for future reference. What a delicious idea! Yum!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #40  
mg
Kookie Creator

I made a card like the one on the cover of that Rubber Stamper. It turned out so beautiful that I kept it and it looks just like the day I made it.
Reply With Quote Likes