Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin on Glass Ornaments

Hi. I am looking for instructions on how to create a hand stamped glass ornament. I would love to know what supplies I will need and how to get started. Any help would b wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Here's what I did: I used acetate (window sheets, transparency--all the same thing) Staz-On, sharpies, circle cutter.
I have a crappy Fiskars circle cutter, so I cut out the whole circle. Most times, you cut most of the circle, and leave a small tab at the top that will be left inside the neck of the glass ornament.
Then, stamp with Staz-On on the acetate. Color with sharpies. Roll as tightly as you can, with the ink on the inside. Shove that into the ornament. the ink is on the inside of the fold b/c you will scrape the plastic against the edge of the ornament opening. If the ink is on the outside, you can scrape it off.
The acetate will unroll itself once it's inside the ornament. That tab you left should now be in the neck of the ornament. This allows the whole image/circle you cut to stand up in the ball.
When I cut mine totally out, I punched a small hole at the top, threaded fishing wire in there and left it hanging out the top.
Next, replace the silver hanging part...it covers the opening, and allows you to hang it with a hook on the tree. you are done! Some fill the ornament with glittter, flakes of snow, whatever you want.
When I did mine, and left the fishing wire hanging out, that was threaded through the silver hanger and tied to the wire where you put the hook. That was time consuming, but I couldn't make the tab with the Fiskars circle cutter. Either way, it works!
I hope all this made some sense. Good luck!
Ariel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so very much for the instruction's they are very easy to understand. Now I just need to gather my supplies and give this a try. Do you prefer working with the clear ornaments or the colored ones?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I have only ever seen clear ones. I think if I had a choice, I would stick with the clear--I think it would be easiest to see your art on the inside. However, I'm sure you can think of ways to use the color of the ornament to aide your design :-)
I'd love to see it when you get one done!
Ariel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I did a stamped glass apothecary jar as part of my christmas giftables workshop. I'm sure the same technique would also work on ornaments.

Basically, the ornament would be embossed.. and only ultrathick embossing powder will stick long term. Carefully clean the ornament with rubbing alcohol to remove all residues and/or fingerprints. Stamp the ornament with versamark, 'rocking' is ok on ornaments -- although the surface may appear flat it is highly unlikely that it is. Choose an ultra thick (utee or SU! ultra thick combined with pearl-ex) embossing powder, sprinkle on the image and heat. This embossing powder 'spreads' making the image appear thicker, so choose an ornament with less detail.

If you are doing an acetate insert in an ornament, you can use the normal ultrafine detail powder and/or sharpies.. add a little 'snow' or glitter to an acetate sheet embossed with a white snowflake.. it looks great! A word of caution: ONLY use versamark (Not topboss or other embossing pads).. others will 'peel' from the acetate!
Reply With Quote Likes