Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to lhavey
Default soldering

Hello everyone. I will be teaching a class using microscope slides and have used the copper tape to adhere them together. I love the idea of adding jumprings to them to make a necklace and I'm wondering if you can still use the copper tape or if you they have to be soldered together. If they do need to be soldered, can someone explain what materials you need and how to do it?

I would appreciate any help I can get.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #2  
PAPER SCAPER

I was a stained glass artist before getting into paper crafts.
Copper foil has to go on the project before solder. It’s what the solder adheres to. Add a little flux to make the metal flow. When using solder you must make sure it is lead free, this is an absolute must if it’s going to be used as jewelry.
The solder has to be heated with a soldering iron.

My soldering iron is picturing in this link
http://www.lincolnglass.com/index.cf...mageSize=large

I keep my iron in a holder similar to the one pictured on this web page. Make sure it has a place to house a wet sponge to wipe off the tip once in a while. This is a safe way to hold your iron and less likely to burn yourself or work service.
http://www.lincolnglass.com/index.cf...urnTo=itemList

If you’re just soldering O rings on, this stand is not a necessity but if you’re going to be adding solder as an all around decoration it would be handy to have and also a safety factor. In which case you may want to make sure the lead free solder is not a hazard to breathe in. I didn’t use it often and don’t know much about that aspect of it. But if it is a breathing factor this fume catcher would be a good idea. http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=126283

I also use a temperature control but this isn’t real important if you’re just adding an O ring. Only if your doing the all around decoration of soldering. This is the temperature control item I use.
http://www.lincolnglass.com/index.cf...urnTo=itemList

Keep in mind the heat can crack the glass if it gets to hot.

By the way if you've heard of the cold solder method it is not what you want for this type of project. It's an ugly plastic when applied.

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me. I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the very informative Reply to the original question. I have purchased a soldering iron, stand, flux and solder (I'll check to make sure that it's lead-free now), and I have the copper foil tape. My problem is the technique. I'm just not sure where to start, how to get going.
And how hot an iron should we look for if all we want to do is jewelry? I found many different types of soldering irons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw in a magazine that to do faux soldering you use the ranger melt pot with silver tinted utee and dip the edges of the microscope slide in the pot to cover the edges.

I don't know if you would be able to put a jump ring into the utee while it was still hot and have it be sturdy enough to use for a necklace??

Here's a link to the website that describe the instructions I saw in the magazine:

http://www.rangerink.com/project_fauxsolder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 05:01 AM   #5  
PAPER SCAPER

Jodi,

You already know your first step and that is getting the copper foil tape on to the glass.

Mark out your center for the O ring placement by making a little crease into the foil tape with pencil or whatever works. This just makes placing it easier for you when tools are in hand.

Add a tiny bit of flux to the area you are adding the O ring to.

Needle nose pliers and I would suggest the smaller size will be best to hold the O ring. I would also suggest securing your glass project down just with masking tape to a small piece of wood or any surface which it doesn’t matter if it gets harmed.

Hold the O ring which you make sure has a little flux on it to the center mark, the opening of the ring at the bottom to avoid the chain slipping through.

Now just add a tiny bit of solder and with your heating iron by touching the solder with the tip of the iron and then the copper foil and O ring.

Keep in mind the foil is going to be a different color unless you color the entire (all around the glass) foil tape. If you wish to do this just add the slightest bit of flux with a brush and add the solder by touching the tip of the solder and adding to the tape just like you did above.

You can also change the color from what will be silver to other colors using a patina. It comes in a range of colors such as black, copper, antique and there may be others.

Now it needs to be washed off but you can’t dip it in water or it will run in between the two pieces of glass. I’m assuming two pieces of glass are together with artwork sandwiched between them.

I use a flux removing soap purchased at a stained glass store. I wet a rag and get some soap on it and rub the fluxed area until clean then rinse by doing the same without soap of course. I also have a wax that I put on the solder to shine it up and it really looks great.

This wax isn’t needed if you’re just adding the O ring and no other procedure. If adding patina put the wax on last and you’ll see the color just pop out. If that O ring is a different color from the patina you’ll add make sure it gets solder covering it entirely before you attach to project.

I can’t think of anything else you need to know but if you still have questions I’ll keep the post marked to email me or you can get in touch the other ways. Good luck!

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes