Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrink plastic - what did I do wrong?

I tried stamping some shrink plastic tonight to make earrings. I sanded the plastic before I stamped and colored as instructed. I cut out the plastic using punches and some nestabilities so there was some white space around the design. The plastic shrank o.k. but the sanding marks showed up afterward. How gross! If you've made shrink plastic designs before how do you keep them looking nice and clean without the sanding marks? I suppose I could cut right up next to the design and then punch a hole in the design itself but I thought I could use cute die cut shapes instead.

I also realized I need some kind of instruction on how to make an earring. I bought some earring findings and some beads but have no clue how to put them together. I needed jump rings which I have but still need some kind of tutorial.

HELP!!!!! :confused:

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Most likely you used a very coarse grit sandpaper, try using a finer grit. Or just get the pre-sanded shrink plastic, much easier, and IMO, nicer results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #3  

Oh, and I might be able to help you with making the earrings, too, but I'm not sure what you plan on using. What kind of earwires do you have? PM me if you need more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the presanded type of shrink plastic (I think I got it from Michael's) and it comes out great.
Never had much luck with the one I need to sand. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I'm not sure if this will help but I saw this blog where the woman was making bracelets from the shrink plastic. Check it out... maybe it will help.

http://pattystamps.typepad.com/patty...let-class
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just did a tutorial on my blog (I do a new tutorial every friday) last week on shrink plastic if you want to check it out-

http://jessica-thereshegoes.blogspot...ly-shrink.html

Maybe try using a finer grit sand paper and the marks won't show up as much. Hope that helps!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

As for earrings try www.firemountaingems.com they have all sorts of jewelry tutorials and videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I just made a bunch and never sanded. I used rough and ready and bright white
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to PattyBennett

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
I tried stamping some shrink plastic tonight to make earrings. I sanded the plastic before I stamped and colored as instructed. I cut out the plastic using punches and some nestabilities so there was some white space around the design. The plastic shrank o.k. but the sanding marks showed up afterward. How gross! If you've made shrink plastic designs before how do you keep them looking nice and clean without the sanding marks? I suppose I could cut right up next to the design and then punch a hole in the design itself but I thought I could use cute die cut shapes instead.

I also realized I need some kind of instruction on how to make an earring. I bought some earring findings and some beads but have no clue how to put them together. I needed jump rings which I have but still need some kind of tutorial.

For the Faux Sea Glass Bracelets on my blog I used the FROSTED Shrink Plastic.. that gives that look of sanding without sanding it. I colored on the frosted side. Patty
It won't let me post a link to the bracelets.. but go to my blog (in my signature) and scroll down to July 20)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to try something like 300 grit paper...think that is what lucky squirrel recommends. I've done shrink projects and haven't sanded it...things seem to come out fine. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

What great suggestions and projects! Pattystamps, your faux sea glass bracelets are beautiful! Someone else linked to them as well.

I used either 300 or 400 sand paper. My husband had both but I forget which one I used. Maybe I sanded too hard so I'll try a little more gently next time. I'd like to find the pre-sanded stuff but want to use this package up first.

What do you all like to use for coloring? I used colored pencils and they worked pretty well. The copic markers didn't want to lay down very dark color even after I sanded.

I will also check out the jewelry link that looks like a wonderful site! I bought a box of 144 different earring findings at JoAnn. They have the french wires, half round posts and the lever backs and some of the long wires that you thread beads on but I have no idea how you hook that to an earring. Since I've been looking it seems as though some of the French wires you just loop them through the shrink plastic piece. I'll try that but I'm thinking the ones i have might be different than those I saw on-line.

It seems whenever I dive into a new project I end up not having everything I need or it flops and I'm not very patient when it comes to the "try and try again" philosophy! Although I have several more sheets of plastic and I really want to make some cute Halloween earrings and pins.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I would like to find shrink plastic where I live. I've looked but have not found it. I know the name "Shrinkie Dinks" but can't find them and my stores don't seem to know what the product subistuition is. I would like to use it for card charms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Rebecca,
Do you have a JoAnns or Michaels where you live? I found my Shrink Plastic in the kids craft aisle at JoAnns. Mine isn't called Shrinkie Dinks. I think it's just Shrink Plastic. It comes in a thin package of 8 1/2 x 11 size sheets.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

To color the sheet of shrink plastic before shrinking, I put a few drops of Stampin' Up! reinker in a plastic lid, and used a 1/4 Stampin' Sponge, dipped it in the reinker, and just swiped the color all over the entire sheet of plastic. Then I tore it into strips (pieces), punched each piece first, then shrunk it in the oven on a cookie sheet - about 35 pieces at a time.. SUPER quick!

To custom color the pieces after shrinking, we mixed Crystal Effects with drops of reinker and painted it on each shrunk piece.

To see examples of each, see my blog (see signature) and scroll down to July 20. SCS keeps telling me I can't post links because I have not posted more than 3x on SCS... I know I've posted more than 3x but I guess it doesn't like me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

quick question: do you have to use a special type of ink for it to be permanent?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

It appears that the regular SU! Classic ink, when applied to the frosted side BEFORE shrinking, stayed on just fine and became permanent. Otherwise, mixing classic reinker with Crystal Effects AFTER shrinking also made it permanent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post

I have also used the pre sanded shrink plastic for charms. I found colored pencils seem to give me the darkest color. One tip on jump rings is to remember to open them side to side not pull open, it much harder to close if you pull. Twist the split to the side, slip on the earring wire and shrink piece and pinch closed with jewlery pliers. I also use my heat embossing gun to shrink the pieces rather than the oven. I hold the piece with a wooden shiskabob skewer through the hole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

I make beads out of polymer clay and use the wet/dry sandpaper (dark grey to black) that you can find at automotive stores. 600 grit would be good and you shouldn't see any scratches when you are done. Even 1000 grit would work and keep the surface smooth. For best results keep the sandpaper wet while sanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Hay Kim! Theres some GREAT videos on www.crafttvweekly.com
Theres 2 *channels*. You'll want to click on the Plum & Verdigris channel. Theres no current one cause they're off for the summer. Click on archives at the top.
Tamera Berg has 3 videos - all about wire basics, knotting basics, chain basics, and solder basics.. They're complete and very informative! After watching these, she also has other videos there making a bracelet, necklace, a pin, all with beautiful beads. You may want to watch Judi Watanabe's video on shrink plastic jewelry called *Punch it, Shrink it, Wear it*. Enjoy!! May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes