Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaker problems

I've made 2 shaker cards now & while I love the concept, I don't love how mine are turning out.. I'm having 2 major problems.. 1st problem is as soon as I go to put the acetate on top, all of my sequins jump out & latch on to the acetate, and now I have sequins stuck in the glue.. And now I have a huge mess because while trying to get the sequins out of the glue, wiped off & back in the shaker, I end up getting glue on the acetate. Enter problem #2. After all that, I finish the card and when I try & wipe that glue off the acetate (because it looks horrible) it scratches the acetate!! I'm not sure which one looks worse, glue all over the acetate or scratches from trying to clean the acetate. Anyone have any tips for me?? I would REALLY appreciate it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

If you swipe your embossing buddy over the acetate, the sequins will be less likely to jump. If you don't have an embossing buddy, you can try a dryer sheet. As for the glue, I tend to use something with "height" like the edges of Stampin' Dimensionals. Those are self-adhesive so no extra glue is needed.

Does that help?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

If you use foam tape or dimensionals round the edges dust the edges with talcum powder before putting together to stop the sequins sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Absolutely, thank you so much! About the glue though.. I use a circle frame of fun foam (which i die cut the same size as my background circle) and use that as my dimension since I don't have a fuser. It seemed like the best way to keep all my insides, well, inside.. I've seen videos where people use foam dimension all the way around like I think you're talking about but I'd worry about it leaking out.. Anyway, the foam circle is just how I learned it so maybe I'll give your way a try.. it would be MUCH less messy, for sure. Thanks again for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you just need to keep the whole combo horizontal on your work surface with the sequins in the center and let the liquid? glue dry on the fun foam before lifting the card vertically? Or have you been doing that? Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious

One good tip I saw on a YouTube video was to glue some of the sequins or confetti bits in place on the background before adding the ones that will "shake." Great way to make sure that there will still be some interest in the middle and top of the shaker area even when the card is held vertically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Saw a suggestion to run the acetate under cold water and wipe dry before using. Haven't tried it but worth a go I think.

Would also avoid using 'wet glue' as it gets everywhere and even a tiny bit looks awful on the acetate.

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyje32View Post
Absolutely, thank you so much! About the glue though.. I use a circle frame of fun foam (which i die cut the same size as my background circle) and use that as my dimension since I don't have a fuser. It seemed like the best way to keep all my insides, well, inside.. I've seen videos where people use foam dimension all the way around like I think you're talking about but I'd worry about it leaking out.. Anyway, the foam circle is just how I learned it so maybe I'll give your way a try.. it would be MUCH less messy, for sure. Thanks again for the advice!
The fun foam works great - it gives you your dimension and you can make it any shape you want. But instead of liquid glue, try running your fun foam frame thru a xyron OR use double-sided tape that has a backing on it. You can get the tape on there so that there aren't any gaps and leave the backing on. Then you can use the other tips here to reduce the static on the acetate, remove some of the tape backing and start to stick down your window (gives you a chance to get it lined up without the sequins etc. getting in your way), then add your shaker fill and start removing the rest of the tape backing and sticking the acetate down as you go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
If you use foam tape or dimensionals round the edges dust the edges with talcum powder before putting together to stop the sequins sticking to it.
Ok. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, will do. I just got some double sided adhesive so thank you!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
The fun foam works great - it gives you your dimension and you can make it any shape you want. But instead of liquid glue, try running your fun foam frame thru a xyron OR use double-sided tape that has a backing on it. You can get the tape on there so that there aren't any gaps and leave the backing on. Then you can use the other tips here to reduce the static on the acetate, remove some of the tape backing and start to stick down your window (gives you a chance to get it lined up without the sequins etc. getting in your way), then add your shaker fill and start removing the rest of the tape backing and sticking the acetate down as you go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

One good tip I saw on a YouTube video was to glue some of the sequins or confetti bits in place on the background before adding the ones that will "shake." Great way to make sure that there will still be some interest in the middle and top of the shaker area even when the card is held vertically.[/QUOTE]

I have been trying to make this shaker card and my sequence keeps sticking to the card. They don't want to shake. I've tried everything!! I've used the embossing buddy, fun foam, doubled up layer of 2 sided tape, acetate from Amuse ... I am going to figure it out no matter how long it takes! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Great idea! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

This makes me want to try making these cards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I saw a video on Youtube where the person used two piece of acetate to seal the shaker before sticking in on the card. So:
- make the window
- put acetate on the back of the window
- place foam adhesive or other height material on back of window (saw someone use a couple layers of chipboard once instead of foam)
- place window face down
- place shaker thingies in it
- place second acetate over the backside of the window over the height material
- now you have a sealed window that is easier to handle to place on the front of your card

Not sure if that will help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I just made my first set of shaker cards last night before seeing this thread today. I used 3M foam tape around the edges of my shape. I do have to say that while it might be a little tricky, with a bit of patience I loved how they turned out! Now, if I only knew how to put a picture here for you to see. ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are all ideas that work. Some acetate is more magnetic. I had to stop trying to use dura lar. I really like the idea of gluing a few things down. Hadn't thought of that but it would give a better look. Just bought a load of shaker mixes from the Lucy's Little Things site. Beautiful mixes. Went in with a friend to reduce the overseas postage.
Reply With Quote Likes