Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default removing stamps from wooden

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering if there's a way to remove stamps from wooden blocks? If so what would be needed for them to be able to be used with acrylic block I heard that you can put the stamp in the microwave but wanted some input..Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The microwave is the way to go, it melts the glue. Start with a few seconds. Do not over heat. I have used it to reposition stamps. You will have to cover the glue on back of rubber in order to use them with acrylic block. You will need a material that will adhere to the acrylic block, you can buy on-line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

To use with an acrylic block, you can either use a repositional glue on the back of the bare rubber, or attach your stamps to a product called e-z mount/klingon/u-mount- its like the foam layer on wood mount stamps. If you go check out the Mission: Organisation section, you will find this subject has come up a few times,and there are a lot of ideas and peoples suggestions for what they found helpful. Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I put Arlene's tack it over on the back of my stamps. They cling to the acrylic blocks just fine that way.

I did the microwave trick to unmount my rubber stamps as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Before you get started do a search for "unmounted stamps" under Mission Organizations and you will gather all kinds of good information and advise on this topic. You need to be concerned too with how you plan to store all those unmounted stamps and even cataloging them so you know were to find them later. Unmounting your stamps has its advantages and disadvantages and it will pay off to be well educated in the subject before you adventure in that world. Depending on your amount of stamps you could be looking at several months of work. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Where did you get the "Aleene's Tack it over and Over"? I have been uable to find it. I located a site that sold it. JoAnn's around $2, however, they were charging $5+ for shipping. Does anyone know where it could be found cheaper?
Thanks
Lois
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought it years ago at a stamp fair. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by locoopView Post
Where did you get the "Aleene's Tack it over and Over"? I have been uable to find it. I located a site that sold it. JoAnn's around $2, however, they were charging $5+ for shipping. Does anyone know where it could be found cheaper?
Thanks
Lois
[email protected]
I got a bottle at either Joann's or Michael's several years ago, but when I went looking for it recently, I couldn't find it anymore.

However, Mono Multi glue in the white bottle with the green caps works every bit as well and is easy to find. I can personally vouch for it working as well as the Tack It Over and Over, because I've used them both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by locoopView Post
Thanks
Lois
[email protected]
Was in Michael's today and saw it in the adhesive aisle. It is not expensive. Also, if you go to Joann's it might be in sewing section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

After much cautious thought, and MUCH reading of relavent forum postings, I'm unmounting, with rare exception, down to the rubber. It feels GREAT! But, I am having a real issue with removing the sticky residue left from the foam. I've decided to use Tack & Peel, from Tsukineko, so I need to get rid of the residue. Any suggestions? As far as how to catalogue them afterward, I've already begun a Reminder Binder, so I'm just going to put sets together in floppy disc containers (ones from similiar artists, since so many of mine are SU. Otherwise ones from same companies) and write the set/company names on the side of it, then place them in drawers. Amazing, even after only a few brief sets, how much room I'm already saving. But I absolutely agree with the poster who said be informed!! There are a lot of things to consider, and you don't want to have to go back and remount, or worse, wish you hadn't unmounted to begin with and you've discarded your wood mounts. What I really love about the T & P is that I can use it on wood mounts, which I much prefer over acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate all the input..I'm going to trywith a small SU this coming weekend to see how it goes...I had gotten a box full of cases at a garage sale and now that new SU stamps come in clear I've been buying them tht way..saves alot of room and I have alot of unmounted stamps already in binders..I'll report my findings..Happy Stamping!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creative-JuicesView Post
But, I am having a real issue with removing the sticky residue left from the foam. I've decided to use Tack & Peel, from Tsukineko, so I need to get rid of the residue. Any suggestions?
I've used Un-Du on mine. It works great and as long as you're not soaking the whole stamp in it, it hasn't damaged any of the rubber. I use the scraper piece that comes on the bottle to scrape away the adhesive and then throw the stamp into a bowl of soapy water or diluted Simple Green to make sure all the Un-Du is off.

You can also usually work the adhesive off by rubbing with your thumb or an adhesive eraser, but if you're doing a lot of stamps you'll get tired of that real quick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Default Goo Gone

I used to work for an interior decorator and she used this stuff called "goo gone" to get adhesive off of things....never used it on stamps though, so read the label first...If I remember correctly it is kinda of oily like WD-40.

Runae
Reply With Quote Likes