Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting down ink

As I'm new to the copic world, I appreciate any advice I can get....lol When I'm putting down my fist color( mine being the darkest) and I then apply my second color - am I going over my first color (the darkest) OR am I just touching down (the side) and working outwards??? The same with the next color etc... I'm so confused about this? I never seem to know if I'm just blending two colors at a time OR all the colors.. Some say - color over what you've already colored and others say - just touch down and proceed with the next color..

Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always start with my lightest color then my darker and use my light to blend. You need to look at Marianne Walkers blog for Copic information. I Like Markers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm like Mary Jo - I use the lightest colour first, add the dark and use the light marker again to blend. Some people do work dark to light though and get great results. I suspect the best advice when you're just starting out is "exeriment and see what works for you". Do something that's not intended to be for a finished project, it's just a practice piece, and observe carefully what happens as you try different things out.

Marianne's blog is indeed a great place to look for information and tutorials - she explains things very clearly.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Thanks so much, Mary Jo and Joanne. I'm going to check out that blog right now - much appreciated.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Another to check is Suzanne Dean's blog for helpful Copics info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I looked at this post again I was thinking of other sites I have gone to when wanting some guide in my coloring:

Other individuals that do Copic and/or coloring tutorials that may be helpful

Sharon Harnist: PaperFections: Copic FAQ, Color Charts & Tutorials
Lori Craig: Make a Difference | A little paper, a little ink & a whole lotta love
Colleen Schaan: Distinctive Touches
Kristina Werner: kwernerdesign blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks again, Mary Jo and Arlene. This is so very helpful. I just can't seem to get a handle on this blending - LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a blog post on marker blending - I'll apologize in advance for the video, because it was one of my very first ones... but if you are a visual learner maybe the step-by-step instructions will help.

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Marker shading video and tutorial
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Dina, this is awesome. THANK YOU so much. You bet this is helpful...Maybe, just maybe, I'll conquer this..ha ha ha ha

Thanks again,

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Like you, I read blogs and tutorials and everything I could get my hands on. But I didn't really get it until I bought a grown-up coloring book (far different from an X-rated adult one!:o) and practiced. I found out that starting with the lightest color seems to work better for me. To me, when I started with dark colors, the lighter ones didn't lighten up the dark colors. So now I apply light, apply the next darker shade with a slight overlap, then go back to the lighter color to blend. Don't work too big of an area - you want each color to still be wet when you touch it with the next color. When you're using three or more colors, continue working from a lighter color to a darker one, each time blending the lighter into the darker after both are laid down.

Wow, I didn't expect to write a book! But I think you'll really like the copics once you have a little bit of experience with them.
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Ohhhhhh Silver Snow, thank you so much. I am now starting with my lightest color and it's working so much better for me. For a couple of days, I didn't think I was going to persevere. I'm still at it and actually look forward to coloring every day even with the frustrations, so this is a good sign - ha ha ha.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedgView Post
As I'm new to the copic world, I appreciate any advice I can get....lol When I'm putting down my fist color( mine being the darkest) and I then apply my second color - am I going over my first color (the darkest) OR am I just touching down (the side) and working outwards??? The same with the next color etc... I'm so confused about this? I never seem to know if I'm just blending two colors at a time OR all the colors.. Some say - color over what you've already colored and others say - just touch down and proceed with the next color..

Thank you.
I also go lightest to dark as it is too difficult to blend the darkest colors to get a noticeable difference in the fade of color. It is also harder to blend the line out where the two colors meet. There are several things to watch on You Tube that are excellent. Get you something that you can color along as they demo. I hope this helps. I will be happy to help anytime. good luck [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I just want to thank everyone so much for all your help. I really feel like I'm making progress now. There's quite a difference between now and two weeks ago - LOL.
Much appreciated.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSnowView Post
Like you, I read blogs and tutorials and everything I could get my hands on. But I didn't really get it until I bought a grown-up coloring book (far different from an X-rated adult one!:o) and practiced. I found out that starting with the lightest color seems to work better for me. To me, when I started with dark colors, the lighter ones didn't lighten up the dark colors. So now I apply light, apply the next darker shade with a slight overlap, then go back to the lighter color to blend. Don't work too big of an area - you want each color to still be wet when you touch it with the next color. When you're using three or more colors, continue working from a lighter color to a darker one, each time blending the lighter into the darker after both are laid down.

Wow, I didn't expect to write a book! But I think you'll really like the copics once you have a little bit of experience with them.
Continuing the book... with your lightest color in hand and holding second color in other hand, after laying down the first area of color - swipe the 1st color nib on the 2nd color nib to pick up color and apply to the edge (pre-blending) then continue adding 2nd color to your area. Do the same process with the 2nd and 3rd colors and you won't have as many lines to try to blend out. Hope this makes sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Yes, it does make sense. I DO have another question, though. When I'm using E000, E00 and E11(for the skin) and blush for the cheeks, If I want to tone down the cheeks a little (R20) would I use the E000 or E00? I understand that I don't necessarily go over the cheeks with this color, BUT feather around them - is this correct??

Thanks again guys...

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedgView Post
Yes, it does make sense. I DO have another question, though. When I'm using E000, E00 and E11(for the skin) and blush for the cheeks, If I want to tone down the cheeks a little (R20) would I use the E000 or E00? I understand that I don't necessarily go over the cheeks with this color, BUT feather around them - is this correct??

Thanks again guys...

Marilyn
Hi, Marilyn!
I usually take color from the tip of my R20 marker using the E00 I used for the skin base color and use the E00 marker to appy the "blush" to cheeks. This tones down the R20 a little and as you apply the R20 to the cheek area, the E00 marker helps blend the blush into the surrounding face area. I hope that makes sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

What a great idea, Sharon!!!! Good grief, I have sooooooo much to learn - LOL Thank you very much.... I will try this today.
Reply With Quote Likes