Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol - I want to learn

Can someone please give me the very most basic instructions on how to do this? What do I need exactly. I have no clue as to what to do and so want to learn this. All of the threads I could find assume that I have some idea of how to do it and I don't. If someone could help I would appreciate it!! You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from someone soon!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm interested in this too. Many of Princeink's cards are done with this. I think prismacolor pencils are very expensive colored pencils. My daughter is in graphic design college and I bought her some of them. I think they may be good for blending colors. I don't know what the gamsol is. I looked for it on the internet and it looks like some type of mineral spirits. Not sure how it is to be used with the pencils. Can anyone help us?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

http://www.sanford-artedventures.com...gimbel_mp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 03:59 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

you're awesome Debbi!!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know what the gamsol is. I looked for it on the internet and it looks like some type of min
I found bottles of this in AC Moore in the art department. it is a low fume mineral spirit. I still don't know what to do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 06:25 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

After you've colored in your image with the colored pencils (not watercolor pencils), you dip your stump (like a rolled paper pencil) in the gamsol (or odorless mineral spirit. Now use that moistened stump to blend your pencil marks. It makes the color smoother and richer looking. It also blends two colors together for shading. The gamsol is just the liquid that breaks the pencil color down to allow for the blending. HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #7  
Say Cheese!!

Just a little tip... Home Depot has the odorless mineral spirits in the paint section. I think the Gamsol is a "brand".
I use Prisma color pencils (because I thought you had to have those...) although my other colored pencils I bought at Staples work just as good. I cant remember their name... BUT they are art colored pencils... not kiddie colored pencils. Just play around with the ones you have with the odorless mineral spirits and see if they work before making the additional investment.

Last edited by LateNightScrappin; 11-22-2005 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Thank you Debbie and Sandi for your great information. Have copied the info and am ready to use my colored pencils.

Happy Thanksgiving
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I saw one of the Dirty Dozen using this technique and loved it. I went to www.inkyantics.com and clicked on accessories on the menu. The very first item is the Gamsol mineral spirits. If you read the description for the Gamsol, you will see a hi-lighted link to click on which will take you to a set of instructions for using the technique. It's a full page, with step-by-steps instructions and shows a turtle as an example. Jerri Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default magic pencil technique

I know how to do this. Go to Dick Blick or somewhere and buy Gamsol Pure Odorless Mineral Spirits. Also at Dick Blicks buy some stump pencils and a few empty bottles that have sponge tops(really for bingo, but you will be putting the mineral spirits in them) from Staples and the prismacolor pencils.

Take white cardstock and stamp something on it that is not a image stamp. Like a flower. I just put a thin line inside the flower petals of the color of the pencil that you choose. Take the stump pencil and dab some mineral spirits on it. Pushing down and rubbing in a circular motion mix the color around the stamped image. If you need more color then just put some more color down and continue adding the gamusol to it. Sharpen the pencil with sandpaper to get rid of one color.

IF I did not explain this well. Please write again and I will try to reexplain it. I do have the directions saved on my computer. I love this technique!
Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookedonstampin
I don't know what the gamsol is. I looked for it on the internet and it looks like some type of min
I found bottles of this in AC Moore in the art department. it is a low fume mineral spirit. I still don't know what to do with it.
Don't use the low fume... make sure you get the odorless! The low fume will still give off an odor and leave you with headache.

I bought Odorless Mineral Spirits from Michaels in the art area, the brand I use is Mono Lisa.

PrincessInk (Cecilia) told me to use the solid stumps and not the rolled one, the solid stumps blend the color easier. I was able to find the solid stumps at JoAnnes.

and Lana (lunarlana) mentioned that Crayola colored pencils also work!

;)
Reply With Quote Likes