Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please Help an Embossing Newbie!

Hi there. I am totally new to the embossing word, but I found this beautiful card in the gallery that I want to try (the maker of the card says it is pretty simple, so I am hoping I can do it) For reference here it is: Holiday Card Buffet #6 by PickleTree at Splitcoaststampers

I need to buy the materials, though. So I know I need the embossing heat tool, Lovely as a Tree Stamp, a Greeting Stamp (the one she used is no longer available so I was thinking of substituting the Many Merry Messages "Season's Greetings" stamp for that). I also figured I will need gold embossing powder.

Now for the what do I need: Powder Pals, Embossing Buddy, Heat & Stick Powder, Versamark, White/Colored Craft ink, or anything else? What on that list do I need to successfully attempt this card?

Thank you so much! (And thanks to the original maker of the card who I am trying to CASE.

Oh, I did look up the embossing instructions, but I figured I'd see what of the recomened stuff the vetrans of embossing actually use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Hi!

You can emboss this or any image with just two things -- an ink that will emboss, embossing powder and a heat tool.

I would stamp this image in gold ink and put a clear embossing powder on it and then use a heat gun

another way is to stamp the image in versamark or gold and use a gold embossing powder and then use a heat gun

I only keep a clear and a clear sparkle embossing powder and use different ink colors, and I love the results..

Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default and more....

just pour the embossing powder on over a folded sheet of scrap paper, shake the excess off and you can pour the powder easy back in the jar....I also love my embossing tray. Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Thanks ladies! I don't see a craft pad in gold, so would I use versamark and the gold emboss powder, or would the Encore pads work with clear emoboss powder?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess LBView Post
Thanks ladies! I don't see a craft pad in gold, so would I use versamark and the gold emboss powder, or would the Encore pads work with clear emboss powder?
Either works. Encore gold with EP or versamark with EP. Since you don't have any heat embossing tools yet though, you may want to get the versamark, that way, the next time you want to emboss, you won't be limited to gold. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Thank you! I do have a versamark pad, that is probably the only tool I have on the needed list.

I am so excited to try something new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Is an embossing buddy one of those little anti-static swipe pad things? (forgive me, I'm in th UK and I don't think they're called that here). If so, you don't need that. If you have any problems with your embossing powder leaving specks where you don't want then and find it difficult to brush them off before heating, you can wipe over your card with a bit of cotton wool or a Kleenex dipped in taclum powder before you stamp your image. I keep a big tub of baby powder (supermarket own-brand cheap stuff) on my craft table for stuff like this.

I like Versamark best for embossing - I find the powder sticks to it better than it does to pigment inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

the embossing buddy is a tray with a hole in the bottom, we in the UK usually use them for glitter and micro beads, but work great for embossing powder as well although a piece of paper is just as good, nice to see someone from the UK here, I am from there but moved to the states a year. A tumble dryer sheet also works to reduce the static
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I'll be. I had no idea you could dust talcum powder (is that the same thing a baby powder) over card stock so the embossing powder won't stick. I've always used a product called "dust buster".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Some ideas to save $$$ when first starting... I use a coffee filter to catch the embossing powder. It stores easily, is cheap and the creases make a great funnel to return powder to jar. Also, a small inexpensive paint brush allows you to clean up stray powder particles. I have even used a small brush that came with eye shodow (new). In the beginning, I did not have a heat embossing gun and used the heat from an iron (I started on a small budget). You lay the back side of the image against the heated iron. It's a bit tricky (watch your fingers) but it does work. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by invogueView Post
the embossing buddy is a tray with a hole...
Ah, OK - thanks for the info! Hope your'e enjoying your life across the Pond!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfaddenView Post
Well, I'll be. I had no idea you could dust talcum powder (is that the same thing a baby powder)
Yup, same stuff. The biggest reason that EP sticks where you don't want it to is oils from your skin, bits of dust etc. Rubbing a little powder over the cardstock absorbs those oils and gets rid of the dust etc. Cornflour works too (I think that's cornstarch to you guys - the really fine white powder stuff you use for thickening sauces etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 05:17 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I knew the product I use and purchased over 10 years ago called "Dustbuster" has some sort of clay base. And you're correct, it (now baby powder) works great to combat the oils, lotions, fingerprints, etc on the gold glossy metallic paper I was using yesterday with the Archival Brilliance Galaxy gold ink pad. I also use DB on very dark card stock. My supply is running low and I was wondering what to use next as I have no idea if "Dustbuster" is even manufactured anymore. I looked at the ingredients list on my Johnson's baby powder and didn't see "talc" listed, so I was still unsure.

Thanks for the confirmation on the baby powder and cornstarch.
Reply With Quote Likes