Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multiple stamp images

I have several stamp sets where you use two or more stamps to create the image. Do you stamp from light to dark, dark to light or does it depend?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Most often I stamp from darkest to lightest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Dark to light for me too. And I notice that one of the SU sets I have is actually numbered that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I think it depends more on the ink you’re using than the image, IYSWIM. Dye ink is transparent so you can stamp dark to light but if you’re using pigment ink you need to stamp light to dark. I’ve had success either way so I’d say just experiment and see what works for you - have fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
123scrap (12-15-2022)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

You are absolutely right, Joanne. Pigment ink is a horse of a different color. If you are using acrylic blocks to stamp with, you practically have to stamp light to dark. However if you are stamping with the MISTI and positioning the stamp before inking, darkest to lightest is still the way to go, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by allee's:
123scrap (12-15-2022), Teachybaby (12-14-2022)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Always light to dark for me. I thought that was how the layering stamps were designed to be used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 01:15 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd guess you maybe get a slightly different look with either direction, and maybe with different colours too. So perhaps just trying out on scrap paper first would be helpful, to achieve the look you want?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 05:31 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll second experimenting and trying it each way.

One thing I've learned over the years is that the order I color something makes a difference. I can use the exact same markers or colored pencils in different order and the final result changes. It is usually subtle but there is a difference. I would think stamping with ink would be the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 01:07 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OMG....this thread is a an eye opener. I have only stamped light to dark and been frustrated. As soon as I finish my coffee and and get kids to school.....I am trying this out.
The first set will be Altenew “Beautiful Day” , I am also going to try a Gina K poinsettia from last year and an older Hero Arts rose that was from the kit of the month.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 02:20 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have been working with layered stamps for over ten years now, Gabriella, and I think you will be amazed by the improvement you will see in your images and the confidence you will gain in your work when you stamp from dark to light. Good luck. Be sure to come back and tell us what you think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Reporting back that stamping from dark to light is so much easier and does give better results with lining things up. So far I have only tried one Altenew set with Altenew inks but I am going to pull out a poinsettia set and I remember I have layering bird set too.
Thank you all so much for the info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good info! I've only tried it light to dark. I'm sure starting with the dark layer makes it easier to see for the next layer, although I now have a Tim Holtz Stamping Platform. That should help, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always done light to dark. I'm anxious to play with the stamps trying dark to light!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Always done light to dark...but I'm going to try it the other way. For me it's been easier to do the broadest strokes first, but I can see where it might be easier to work the other way out. Will give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have quite a lot of the layering stamps, mostly flowers. The videos made by the brand always go from light to dark, that way the last image to be stamped is the dark detail for the flower. If I was to use dark first especially for the larger flower base the detail if stamped with light ink would not show. My preference is for light to dark with flowers and mostly for any of the layering stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
Reporting back that stamping from dark to light is so much easier and does give better results with lining things up. So far I have only tried one Altenew set with Altenew inks but I am going to pull out a poinsettia set and I remember I have layering bird set too.
Thank you all so much for the info
It doesn�t work if you are trying to stamp on a die cut tho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

What do you mean when you said that it wouldn't work on a die cut?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I usually go from light to dark, as with the stamps I have I use the mostly solid stamp for the light. That makes it easier for me to see where I want the darker, detail stamp. This is the method I use, as I seldom, if ever, use a stamp positioner (I don't own a Misti) as I think the different looks it gives each flower (leaf, butterfly, etc.), makes for a more realistic look. That being said, if it works better for you the other way, go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I have been working with layered stamps for over ten years now, Gabriella, and I think you will be amazed by the improvement you will see in your images and the confidence you will gain in your work when you stamp from dark to light. Good luck. Be sure to come back and tell us what you think.
Do you mean starting with the outline? I�ve just recently purchased a few Altenew layering stamps, and they look so easy to do when someone else is doing them! I started with the lightest color, seems like that�s usually the largest solid layer, but found it a little easier starting with the outline. On the layering guide the darkest layer has smaller, scattered solid details. Do you recommend starting with the darkest smaller scattered solid layer, or do you mean the outline? Your expertise is much appreciated!!! I�m with Gabriella, it�s hard!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Anne, most of the layered stamps I use do not have outlines.

If a set has 4 or 5 layers, I usually stamp it in this order:

3,2,1,4 for the 4 layer stamps
4,3,2,1,5 for the 5 layer stamps

So basically I am, in truth, stamping almost darkest to lightest and then ending with the true darkest last.

Mainly because the last layer may not have enough "focus" points to line up on in many cases.

I also recommend that you use a MISTI or other stamping platform for perfect placement. They make layered stamping a skill anyone can master. Regardless of the cost, it is the best stamping investment ever. The paper and ink and frustration it will save you is well worth the price.

I truly love seeing so many people getting involved in layered stamping now. Layered images have always been amazingly beautiful, but now with the stamping platforms, they are so much easier to master.

I think for your stamps that if you start with the outline, you will have to then go from lightest to darkest for the flower to end up inside the outline. That is also why you would need to do lightest to darkest inside a die that has already been cut. If not, the image would not be centered in the die cut.

That is also why I always stamp first and die cut last. Then darkest to lightest works.

Hope this helps! You will become a devoted fan once you become comfortable with your layered stamps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by allee's:
123scrap (12-15-2022), gobarb26 (02-03-2023)
Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
Anne, most of the layered stamps I use do not have outlines.

If a set has 4 or 5 layers, I usually stamp it in this order:

3,2,1,4 for the 4 layer stamps
4,3,2,1,5 for the 5 layer stamps

So basically I am, in truth, stamping almost darkest to lightest and then ending with the true darkest last.

Mainly because the last layer may not have enough "focus" points to line up on in many cases.

I also recommend that you use a MISTI or other stamping platform for perfect placement. They make layered stamping a skill anyone can master. Regardless of the cost, it is the best stamping investment ever. The paper and ink and frustration it will save you is well worth the price.

I truly love seeing so many people getting involved in layered stamping now. Layered images have always been amazingly beautiful, but now with the stamping platforms, they are so much easier to master.

I think for your stamps that if you start with the outline, you will have to then go from lightest to darkest for the flower to end up inside the outline. That is also why you would need to do lightest to darkest inside a die that has already been cut. If not, the image would not be centered in the die cut.

That is also why I always stamp first and die cut last. Then darkest to lightest works.

Hope this helps! You will become a devoted fan once you become comfortable with your layered stamps!!
These stamps are so beautiful and costly, I don�t want to give up on them! Thank you so much! I�m going to try following your instructions, plan practice time today.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Lynn,
Are these stamps clear? If so, wouldn't it be nearly as easy to stamp them without a stamp platform? I don't have a platform, so the only advantage I can see for them is if you stamp something and it did not come out as complete or as dark as you like. Then, without moving anything you can re-ink and repeat as often as necessary, or even add a different color over the top. Magic! But I don't see how positioning wold be any easier when you don't have your stamped image on a clear plate like the old fashioned positioners. How do you know your stamp is lined up if it is an unmounted rubber stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can’t do layered clear stamps without a platform. Once they are stained it’s even harder. I have to actually lay them on the previous layer and look at them from every angle. If I tried to ink on a block and have one chance of being right I would mess up, especially on those six steppers like Altenew. Some people are really good at it but not me. I’m going to try the dark to light. My last two steps on those five and six layers are really hard to get right going light to dark.

I have premade clear templates with each layer stamped in Stazon for my foam mounts. I still use a platform to line those up also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Lynn,
Are these stamps clear? If so, wouldn't it be nearly as easy to stamp them without a stamp platform? I don't have a platform, so the only advantage I can see for them is if you stamp something and it did not come out as complete or as dark as you like. Then, without moving anything you can re-ink and repeat as often as necessary, or even add a different color over the top. Magic! But I don't see how positioning wold be any easier when you don't have your stamped image on a clear plate like the old fashioned positioners. How do you know your stamp is lined up if it is an unmounted rubber stamp?
Yes, almost all of the layered stamps I use are clear. Once I have stamped whichever layer I want first, I then lay the next uninked layer directly on top of it and make any adjustments needed to the placement before inking and stamping. This is with the MISTI, which is my platform of choice.

For red rubber, I use a clear quilter's template over the stamped image and stamp on it. I then adjust the stamped image underneath the template until the alignment is perfect, slap a magnet on it, remove the template, ink again, and stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I think it depends more on the ink you’re using than the image, IYSWIM. Dye ink is transparent so you can stamp dark to light but if you’re using pigment ink you need to stamp light to dark. I’ve had success either way so I’d say just experiment and see what works for you - have fun!
What does “IYSWIM” mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2022, 08:16 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

If You See What I Mean
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
janesprando (12-15-2022)