Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microbead Pens ala Charisma

I've had a lot of requests with my photos for directions. I thought I'd post them here so everyone can benefit from my wisdom (don't ask how many times I had to type benefit to get it right).

I use the RSVP pens by Pentel. I bought them from Staples when they were buy one pack get one free. So I got 24 for $6.99. I bought 3 (double) packs. Anyway, I stamp on SU sticker paper. I cut it 3 1/4 " x 1 1/4". Take the lid off the pen. Then stick the sticker around the outside of the pen. (BTW this works better than the typing paper & xyron which I used on my first posting.)Layer Terrifically Tacky Tape (provocraft) on top. My local store didn't have any 1 1/4", so I use 1 1/16" + 1/4" this works great, since with the paper on, the tape just barely overlaps for complete coverage. Then I roll the pen in .5mm clear microbeads. "Moosh" the beads into the tape. Then I "moosh" dazzling diamonds into the little spaces between the beads. Wahlah!

Some people have suggested embossing the beads and glitter on so they don't fall off, but so far I haven't had any problems or bald spots develop.

For the tie-dye background on my latest batch, I took Stampin' Spots and applied them directly to the sticker paper. I did the Stampin' twist, slightly overlapping colors. Remember to always start with the lightest colors first! Leave a few white spots. Then stamp image on with choice of contrasting color. Toward the back of the picture there is a pen with Baroque Burgundy Hearts, I didn't think it turned out so good, but that was the first one taken as a door prize. I really liked the ones I did with the Good Times Set & Basic Black, they just pop! The little words from Good Times are amazingly clear too.

Have Fun!

Edited to correct spelling/grammatical errors.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 03:57 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am off to Michael's to get the tape today! Thanks for posting this! I have a workshop today and needed a WOW! hostess gift and this is just the ticket!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 04:30 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Re: Microbead Pens ala Charisma

Quote:

Originally Posted by karixma
I use the RSVP pens by Pentel.
I've seen this done with regular "stick" pens on the Carol Duvall show. These may be cheaper than the RSVP pens. You kow, the Bic pens. But they did say make sure it was a pen with a replaceable ink part!

(First time posting!, long time lurker :lol: )
Karen D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Karen!
Thanks, for the tip. I like the way the cap can be put back on with the RSVP pens, but the next time my Brownie group makes pens I think I'll use something cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Well, I tried to make these I really did. The first time the beads refused to stick...it ended up being a glitter covered pen instead. Very pretty, but not exactly what I was shooting for.

The second time I warmed the tape before putting in the beads, as they suggest on the package. They stuck better, but to be on the safe side I decided to emboss on top. They are STILL peeling off near where the cap goes on...sigh.

I was very careful not to touch the adhesive and reduce the tackiness! I warmed the beads and the adhesive and it still does not perfectly. I am using TTT, so that should be okay. Any ideas? I am using the clear microbeads.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Hello!
Thank you for the directions!! Your pens are just lovely!!
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2004, 10:29 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

What size are the beads? They have both 1mm & .5mm. I found the 1mm do not stick. I put my beads into an empty stamp case, then piled them up & mooshed the pen into them. Piled them up, did another area. Repeat as necessary.

Also maybe your tape is defective? Mine will stick to ANYTHING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

They are the ones they sell at Michael's...they don't say what size. They are "Halcraft Tiny Glass Marbles".

I ended up peeling them off the one pen. It left a kind of bumpy texture behind with the embossing...almost as pretty as the beads.

What I ended up doing with a few of the pens was doing the sticker paper, putting it on the pen, then embossing with Irridescent Ice EP. That was pretty too. And since the sticker paper is much like glossy CS, I tried brayering with a spectrum pad, then stamping on top. Very pretty! I ended up giving a couple of the pens away last night in my hostess gift and door prize. One was one with TTT and glitter and the other was the II embossed. Very much admired!

Did you get your beads from Pennywise Crafts? Maybe I should try theirs.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't bought the tape yet from Pennywise, but I do buy my beads from them--they are wonderful and Suzanne is awesome to work with!

I highly recommend her company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Jan, try rolling your pen on a table after you moosh the beads on. Or roll between your hands squeezing tightly. Then press in all over the pen. I did a bunch of these pens (in the car) for Christmas gifts two years ago.

the Glitter sounds pretty hmmm I think I may try that since I am going to try the paint cans with notebooks and beaded pens inside along with some other stuff for my daughters bday. I am liking the glitter idea.
Didn't know you could do the beaded pens with the Rsvp pens I did them with the Bic pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

The problem, Renee, is I did all of that, and they still came off. Grrr...the tape package said something about leaving it to cure overnight for a better hold? Is that what you've got to do?

I did this on cheapo Rose Art stick pens and it worked just fine! This time I used the Bic Dyna Grip, which is virtually identical to the Pentel RSVP pens. My guess is that the barrel is bigger and so the beads are not adhering because of the amount of surface that the bead has to stick to...does this make any sense?

At any rate, I am out of the pens so I will go off to OD tomorrow to pick up some new ones. Or I might try the RoseArt glitter gel pens I got from Dollar Tree.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

One tip I learned from Queen PennyWise (aka Suzanne) is to avoid the temptation to "play" in your beads with your hands. The oils from your hands come off on the microbeads and that may prevent them from sticking to your tape.

I second the recommendation of PennyWiseArts and Suzanne is a peach. I also recommend their O So Sticky Tape. Her prices are much more reasonable than TTT at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or your LSS. Her prices on beads can't be beat either.

Fran
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

One other cool option with the RSVP Pen is to fill the barrel with colored Micro Beads to create a pen to match whatever you have stamped. It doesn't take a lot of beads - maybe 1/4 teaspoon or so.

Unscrew the top end of the pen NOT the writing end and leave the ink cartridge in place. Using a little funnel (or a small piece of paper made into one) spoon a mixture of beads into the barrel. Pick colors that coordinate with your project.

I don't fill the pens all the way to the top as I like to watch the colors mix around and I like the swooshing noise the beads make when they slide back and forth.

HTH,
Fran
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Fran-
Cool idea!! I will have to try that sometime!!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I did this project too and had a hard time at first, but after a few tries they came out beautiful. The ladies at worked loved them and couldn't believed i made them. Now to just get them to realize they can ALL be stampers too!!!!! Thanks for such a great idea and wonderful instructions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default The Queen Speaks

As the Queen of Beads, I just had to hop in on this topic! :0)

Thank you so much for your kind words! It means so much that so many of you are out there helping us "Bead The World" by sharing us with your Split Coast friends! We truly appreciate you all for your dedication to our cause!!

We also have a similiar pen project that is pretty simple, for making a STAMPED and beaded pen! Basically, you stamp on a plain label cut to fit the outside of your pen, (we use Bic Roundsticks) add the O'So Sticky Tape over the top and then roll into clear micro beads!

These are quick and easy to do! Sorta like Lays potato chips - you can never make (don't eat!) just one! ;0) If anyone wants the "exact" instructions, I'm happy to share and have attached a virus free word document to this message.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SHARING_HOW_TO_MAKE_STAMPED_AND_BEADED_PENS.doc (24.0 KB, 1537 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Oh, mannnnnn, Suzanne! Now your going to know where I spend a lot of my time when I'm not beading or stamping or hanging out at the PWA group site. I mention PWA micro beads on all the beaded cards I load to this site. The rest of the world MUST know how cool they are and how great the O'So Sticky Tape is.
Great words from the queen herself....BEAD THE WORLD
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

has anyone tried stamping on paper and rolling it up and putting it in the tube of the pen and then doing the sticky tape on the outside? I didn't know if you would be able to see the stamped part through the plastic. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

has anyone tried stamping on paper and rolling it up and putting it in the tube of the pen and then doing the sticky tape on the outside?
You bet it works! This is the first way I did the RSVP pens. Copy paper works great to stamp for the inside. Then put O'So so sticky tape (or other tacky tape) around the outside. Cover with clear microbeads. These are the .5mm size that http://www.pennywisearts.com/ sells. make plenty because they go VERY fast....
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Great!!! Thanks a bunch! I have a stamp camp in August that I need some WOW projects for and I think this will be one! I'm so glad SU is selling the beads now. Now I just need to get my list narrowed down to a reasonable amount for my first order from the new catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 07:39 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm here to give Penny Wise Arts a plug! They are just awesome! Delivery is O' So Fast and Suzanne is so nice! My very first attempt at a pen was successful! I used a mailing label to stamp on, the sticky tape and the micobeads... no problems with beads falling off. I wish I had thought about the glitter before giving the pen away, but I'll use it next time! Thanks Queen Penny Wise!
Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

You are O'So welcome Sherry!! And thanks so much for the great referral! We appreciate those VERY much!! That's the best way to "Bead The World" ya know!! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Queen Penny Wise, I'm sorry about what I said about SU carring the beads. I didn't realize that you sold the beads. I'll have to go to your site and look at what you have. SORRY!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Oh NO! Don't be silly!! I think it's WONDERFUL that SU carries micro beads now!! LOL! Have you seen the price they charge?? If that doesn't drive all the demo's to buy them from us to refill their jars, I don't know what will!! VBG!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 10:43 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I also see that they are .8mm, rather than .5mm.... will that make a difference on such things as the pens?

Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

The one's in the catalog say approximatly 30 grams. Anyone know how many ounces are in a gram?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

28 grams equals one ounce! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Ooops! Forgot to say that I don't think that small of a size difference is really going to matter that much on a pen! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Ok. This conversation has been successful in selling me on trying to make these pens. I just ordered the tape and beads from Pennywise. Can't wait to get them and try them out. Thanks for the precise instructions Suzanne.
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I have another cool pen project that I want to share with ya... but I'll start a new thread for it -- cause it's a different one from this RSVP pen thread!!
Stay tuned!!

Don't forget that you can always fill the barrel of an RSVP with color coordinated beads too! Don't use imitation pens though -- the beads won't fit!! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default our new sticky tape should work fine..

This is another version of red line tape , etc. I am so glad SU is carrying it. everything sticks to it. If you press well (like rolling it on a table)..should last no problem. BUT, I do also like the idea of adding it into the pens..great thinking! Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

OK....I finally figured out how to make these beaded pens. I only have one question.
If I'm reading this right....the micro beads go on the outside of the pen?!?!
Wouldn't the beads have a tendency to fall off with use of the pen?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:04 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had a problem so far with beads falling off. I'm using O'So Sticky tape and micro beads both from Queen Pennywise. Just make sure you warm up the tape (I rub between my palms) before using. and once the beads are on roll the pen in your palms to be sure the beads really adhere.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've had good luck using the Terrifically Tacky Tape sheets for the beaded pens, which you can buy at Michael's. I do plan on ordering the O'So Sticky Tape from Queen Pennywise, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Just popping in to let you know that our O'So Sticky Tape is the SAME thing as Terrificially Tacky, SU Sticky Strip, Bead Bond, Redliner and Wonder Tape. Use up what you have on hand, and replace it with O'So and you'll save lots of $$! Ü

Also, O'So Sticky is the ONLY one that you can buy in 6 widths, as well as sheets and on a MegaRoll!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm coming into this way late, but I got one for Christmas and it looks really cool. What size (in width) of sticky tape do you buy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy it in sheets. It's good for so many things that way - including the pens!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I thought about ordering sheets, but I'd also like a roll. which do you think would be most versatile for all types of projects?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2005, 08:40 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

This has all been great! I too would like to know which width to buy and what else can you do with the sticky tape sheets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Default Widths and Sheets - You've Got OPTIONS!

Hi Girls!

I'm happy to see that this thread is still alive and well! I've been beading pens for over two years now - and I NEVER get bored with it!! It's just one of those quick and easy things that make other's think is a really big deal! Ü

For the tape, if you buy BIC ROUNDSTICK pens - they are the perfect size for the 1" wide tape to fit around. Any other pen, and I can't tell you! You only need to cut the length to the size you want. Some go all the way from end to end (leaving the point exposed of course) or others, (like me) leave room for the cap to go back on.

The reason that I choose to use the SHEETS instead of the ROLLS, is that I can precut them all in advance (which is a god thing for classes, demos, etc.) - so you definitely have options here!

Katie, you asked what else you can do with the sheets.... OHMAGOSH! Where to start??? The possibilities are endless! You just might have to come over to my yahoo group to get the full scoop - we do weekly classes that will really get your creative juices flowing!

One of the basics that you can do with the sheets is to stamp on the paper side of them and cut out an image. Then stamp the same image on your card, and color it however you wish. Then, peel of the red liner of the tape piece and place it directly over the one you stamped on cardstock. This is how you can bead all or part of an image! Use it to cover the whole thing, or just to highlight or accent certain parts!

I've used sheets to cover paper purse cards and bead them entirely - makes for an elegant gift card for a girlfriend! Use them to create designs on boxes, notepad covers, candles, pouches, real purses, picture frames, magnets, amulet bags, jars and MORE!

Join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennyWiseArts/ to see some of the possibilities in our class files!
Reply With Quote Likes