Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making own envelopes

Is is possible to make your own envelopes that the post office will accept? Is there a template to use? Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I've only made envelopes a few times. As long as they are an acceptable size, I don't see why the post office wouldn't accept them. I used templates to make mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

okay i hope this is helpful for you go to gallery then in the empty search box type in template for envelopes hit go then you should pop in to where there are cards and boxes and envelopes you search from ther and you might find a template you can use if not carefully tear open an envelope that you have the right size of and use it for your template I have done that before. as long as you put the address on a solid color label that can clearly be read I dont think the PO will have a problem with it. happy holidays hope this was useful~~~bluegirl~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cware84.......I usually make all my own envelopes for my cards. The Post Office will accept any size envelope ( I believe there is a limit as to how small, but it's really tiny). The question would be what you may pay if it's not a standard size. You'd need to check with your Post Office.

As the previous post said, you could use an envelope you currently have as a template. Also there are lots of companies that make envelope templates. I purchased one from AC Moore. I know I saw a template in an old Stampin' Up catalog from last year. There is also a product called the Enveloper that you can purchase that gives directions for scoring and folding nearly any size envelopes.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks everyone for you help! I went and 'borrowed' an envelope from a neighbor to tear apart and use that as a template. Since I used that as a template, it shouldn't cost extra at the PO should it? Or should I just check anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

CWare84......The weight of the card plus envelope may be a cost factor if it's over the limit due to embellishments or additional paper. I read on another post there is some kind of info on the USPS site on all this, but I've not checked that out.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

There are several things that will cause the price to go up.
* Square envelopes: the machine cannot read which way is up
* Thick cards: can't get through the machine
* Lumpy embellishments on cards: also can't go through the machine

The extra cost for non-machinable envelopes is 17�
The USPS website has more information.

P.S. There is a gadget called The Enveloper which supposedly helps you to make envelopes out of almost any paper (not cardstock) and in almost any size. Problem is the price... about $25. And it is very hard to find in the U.S.A.
John 3:16

Last edited by GarnetJ; 12-23-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

If I remember correctly, the minimum envelope size for mailing is 3 1/2 X 5. Usually if I have a card smaller than that, I just put it in a regular (larger) envelope for mailing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the post office doesn't care who makes the envelopes; only whether or not it can go through the automation machines.

If you absolutely cannot find a template for the wanted size or an existing envelope (to make a template with), you can wing it by practicing with scrap paper - place your card in the middle of the paper and fold the edges in, and cut away 'til it looks right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

If you want to make your own envelopes and are completely challenged spatially, try greensneakers.com for any kind of template you would want. I bought a combined set then bought 11x14 tablets of medium weight sketching paper for less than $5 for 100 sheets. For a little adhesive I have envelopes that go fine through the mail and cost little of nothing but some effort. When I cut the larger piece for the envelope, I save the leftover strips to make paper lace with border punches -- a twofer!

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Heaven - Buried under a mountain of paper scraps and stamps!

I bought an envelope kit from QVC that I LOVE!!!! It is called Deluxe Kreate-a-lope Envelope & Card Template Kit. Item number F03272. It costs $29-ish, but I don't remember paying that much for it. The template says to tear the paper to get it the right "cut" it out!!! I always trace around the template and then use scissors, that way I can cut 2 or 3 sheets at the same time. They also have plenty of sizes in the set. I think it is pretty easy to use.

Another idea is to use a die cut to make the envelopes. We have a Recollections here in Northern VA, (that is sadly going out of business next month) that has a template for a "normal" size card. I go in with about 100 sheets of scrapbook paper to make envies. I'm usually set for a while with that stack!!!

Good luck with the envies. I think they really brighten up everyone's mailbox!!
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

That's the same set I bought. Now that I think about it I probably bought it from QVC but greensneakers is the company that makes the set. I don't tear the sheets either. I trace around the one I need and use a straight edge and a rotary cutter so I can do several at a time. Making envelopes isn't my favorite job so I do a whole bunch at one sitting.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

These are all great tips. I gave it a try and have made my first envie. I found just tracing a standard envie and cutting it out was pretty easy so I think I will keep with that. Until I get some mula to check these other things out

What kind of paper does everyone typically use? Is there something as durable as cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

What kind of glue do you all use to seal your envelopes? Not just the top flap, but the sides and bottoms? I tried making my own envelopes using a template, but was not sure the glue would hold in transit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

superlicious...You can use most any glue you want. It's possible to purchase specific glue to seal the flaps, but I've never used that and can't recall the name of it.

Glue stick, tacky tape, that adhesive that comes in those guns that so many people say they got for Christmas, etc. I've used glue stick and the adhesive runner things purchased from AC Moore and Creative Memories.

Hey......if these things hold all the embellishments you put on your cards, it certainly will hold the envelope together, just be neat and certain it's in a continuous line around all the edges.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got a really nice kit from Archiver's that has a few templates for envelopes and tags and pockets. It cost about 10.00. I LOVE IT
ansa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I sent my nephew a card through the mail w/ an envelope that I had made. He never received it = not sure if the envelope came apart or what, but had to make him a new card and replace the money that was in the first one. Sine then, I don't make envelopes if I need to mail the card....only for hand delivered ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the enveloper, and got it through Sunday Int. I find it so easy to use. I made gift card holders for Christmas, and used it to make custom fit envelopes to go with them. I have mailed several with no problems. I use regular double stick tape to hold them together, and then I use respositionable glue or even just some fancy sticker on the flap. It works very well. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to use scrapbooking paper that is white on the back side if I'm going to make my envelopes. I fold it so the white side is out and the printed side is inside. Very cool if I use the same paper that I used on my card. Just a fun touch for the person receiving the card.

This also helps me use up a lot of paper that I no longer think I would use on my cards, but I kind of like for the inside of an envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I use glue stick or what ever adhesive I have to seal the flaps of my handmade envelopes. I also use my bone folder to crease the folds of the envelope after scoring. Then finally after stuffing I run my bone folder over the entire envelope to secure before mailing. I usually use card stock or #90 paper for my envelopes and have had no problem with them opening in transit to receiver.

GreatGrammy.....I like your idea of the print inside. I also like to line my envelopes with something that ties in with the card. Typically I will use the same color for the envelope outside that I used for the card base. Thinner paper for the liner.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cware84View Post
Is is possible to make your own envelopes that the post office will accept? Is there a template to use? Thanks in advance!
No envelope template here, but the links to the USPS site have information about the enavelope sizes. There's also a template you can easily make to check the thickness of an envelope.

http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...d-to-know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I have lots of templates for envelopes, I just don't know what kind of paper to use to make them. Cardstock is too stiff and heavy, but scrapbook paper is rather expensive to use for envelopes; computer paper is too flimsy. Help!!!
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I use card stock, vellum, pattern paper (on both sides), mullberry paper, or #24 linen, laid or silk paper. My envelopes match my cards. The main paper I use on the card is what I make the envelope out from.

I use 2 way glue stick (blue container...looks kinda like a pencil), just make sure to stick it while it's wet so it stays put. Also run your bone folder over all folds in the envelope to make crisp creases on envelope edge. After stuffing and gluing the envelope flap closed, run bone folder over all glued edges just to be certain. The extra effort asures a nice looking envelope and glue that stays stuck!

I also usually run my envelope, after folding and gluing (before stuffing) through my printer to address and return address. That way it has a neat and professional look. I think it just finishes the whole look of my hand made card.

I use envelope templates from either Paper Source or Coluzzle.

Patti

Last edited by pjw2855; 01-05-2008 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post

If you absolutely cannot find a template for the wanted size or an existing envelope (to make a template with), you can wing it by practicing with scrap paper - place your card in the middle of the paper and fold the edges in, and cut away 'til it looks right.
this is what I did for a friends wedding invites last summer. Only100 plus the reply cards (which she wanted super tiny)

If you only have to do a couple of envies, this is okay, but I don't recommend it for making envies in bulk.

It's not hard, but it IS tedious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I use card stock, vellum, pattern paper (on both sides), mullberry paper, or #24 linen, laid or silk paper. My envelopes match my cards. The main paper I use on the card is what I make the envelope out from.

I use 2 way glue stick (blue container...looks kinda like a pencil), just make sure to stick it while it's wet so it stays put. Also run your bone folder over all folds in the envelope to make crisp creases on envelope edge. After stuffing and gluing the envelope flap closed, run bone folder over all glued edges just to be certain. The extra effort asures a nice looking envelope and glue that stays stuck!

I also usually run my envelope, after folding and gluing (before stuffing) through my printer to address and return address. That way it has a neat and professional look. I think it just finishes the whole look of my hand made card.

I use envelope templates from either Paper Source or Coluzzle.

Patti

Hi, Patti,
I love my coluzzle envelope templates. What is Linen #24, laid or silk paper? I sell my cards in a local craft store and hate to spend moree on my envelopes rather than just buying the ones from SU--my favorite being white confetti. Thanks for any info or help you can give me!! Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Envelope making

Hi, Patti, (still getting used to communicating on this website)
I love my coluzzle envelope template. What is #24 linen, laid and silk paper and where do you buy them? (I live in a small community with no craft store to buy supplies, so I need to buy on-line most of the time---Michael's, etc., is 100 miles away). I sell my cards in a craft store that sells home-made items and I hate to spend a lot of $$ on my envelopes--I would rather buy them from SU ( my favorite being white confetti). ANY info and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pam!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Pam......The #24 laid, linen and silk paper is something you would purchase in a office supply store or specialty stationary store. Actually, the store I purchase mine from is called Pick Quick. I have a store only about 22 miles from me. I can purchase the paper by the sheet or by the reim. They do have a website if you want to check it out. Purchasing by the reim can be expensive especially if you have it shipped to you (paper is heavy).

The #24 paper is a bit heavier than what you might purchase as just plain computer paper. The laid, and linen also have a texture to them that has a kind of weave effect (they also give a super deckle edge when torn). The silk paper is very smooth. These papers all have a watermark on them, but that doesn't effect the look when doing cards and other paper projects.

Office Max, Office Depot and Staples all sell the paper also by the reim. You can also get it smaller quantities by different manufacturers, but cost per sheet would be higher.

It's worth it for me since I use the paper on a regular basis for the invitations, announcements etc. that I do for other people.

I'm just particular about the paper I use both inside and outside my cards and other items I hand make.

I don't purchase paper from Stampin' Up (did 1 time), since most of their paper has the designs already printed on it. I like to embellish my own paper wth embossing (heat, dry and machine) and other means. I guess I'm a bit conserative with my patterns (some may even call it boring).

I also don't sell my cards or other items. I will do them for people if they ask, but only reimbursed for the materials needed. I don't want to turn it into a business. It's a craft for me and I enjoy it that way.

I guess I would have to say that I probably wouldn't be doing any of this if I had to do it all via snail mail delivery. Shipping charges and the wait time get so high. I do deal with a few internet businesses, but try to purchase local. I wish I did have some of the other stores people mention on this site.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Patti

These are just my opinions as I have experienced as I do my craft. Others may differ with my findings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I believe Close To My Heart has an envelope stencil you can actually trace and make an envelope with. The stencil would probably give you crisp clean lines, as opposed to tracing an envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Melissa Buenavista.......Paper Source also has envelope templates for several sizes. They are made of a still plastic and very easy to trace (I use these mostly). Coluzzle is another source for templates, although I found those to not be eactly the correct size I used. Needed to modify them just a tad for the A2 size.

I agree tracing a paper envelope as a template would be difficult.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Here are links for FREE templates fir anyone interested
Basic envelope template: http://ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/basiccard.htm

Interlocking Envelope Template
http://ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddes...erenvelope.htm

Other templates
http://ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/templates.htm

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Default envelope paper

Patti,
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed!!!
Pam

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Pam......The #24 laid, linen and silk paper is something you would purchase in a office supply store or specialty stationary store. Actually, the store I purchase mine from is called Pick Quick. I have a store only about 22 miles from me. I can purchase the paper by the sheet or by the reim. They do have a website if you want to check it out. Purchasing by the reim can be expensive especially if you have it shipped to you (paper is heavy).

The #24 paper is a bit heavier than what you might purchase as just plain computer paper. The laid, and linen also have a texture to them that has a kind of weave effect (they also give a super deckle edge when torn). The silk paper is very smooth. These papers all have a watermark on them, but that doesn't effect the look when doing cards and other paper projects.

Office Max, Office Depot and Staples all sell the paper also by the reim. You can also get it smaller quantities by different manufacturers, but cost per sheet would be higher.

It's worth it for me since I use the paper on a regular basis for the invitations, announcements etc. that I do for other people.

I'm just particular about the paper I use both inside and outside my cards and other items I hand make.

I don't purchase paper from Stampin' Up (did 1 time), since most of their paper has the designs already printed on it. I like to embellish my own paper wth embossing (heat, dry and machine) and other means. I guess I'm a bit conserative with my patterns (some may even call it boring).

I also don't sell my cards or other items. I will do them for people if they ask, but only reimbursed for the materials needed. I don't want to turn it into a business. It's a craft for me and I enjoy it that way.

I guess I would have to say that I probably wouldn't be doing any of this if I had to do it all via snail mail delivery. Shipping charges and the wait time get so high. I do deal with a few internet businesses, but try to purchase local. I wish I did have some of the other stores people mention on this site.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Patti

These are just my opinions as I have experienced as I do my craft. Others may differ with my findings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Pam........You're Very Welcome, I'm glad I could help!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Have you tried using the pictures from calendars? They look really cute!
Reply With Quote Likes