Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making flatter glue dots

fold the waxed paper over them while they are still wet and squish! (how often do you get to use that word in a serious conversation?)

Tee

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
How do you make them flat and not so roundish?

Blog: Green Isles
Blog Design: Design by Tee

Artfire: Green Isles Crafts

I design for: Creative Sketches
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
Going to try this also and I had to smile when you mentioned watching Aleene's craft show with her two daughters?? I believe she had on with her. I remember the days!! hahahaha..but they sure had some neat ideas??? I remember the plastic pieces you melted in a pan, and made jewelry with...I STILL have a pin that I made in my jewelry box..I was SO proud of that pin..tee hee...I think I still have the plastic pieces laying around too...cya!! Jo
Ha ha..I even bought the magazine they issued!! Full of all kinds of little crafty things. Now days you are hard pressed to find any kind of a crafty show...Carol Duvall was our last hope!! At least here in Canada!!
I have found if you make a dot...wait until it dries..then add some more on top they can become really high..becoming Pot Dots!!...go figure..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
Now days you are hard pressed to find any kind of a crafty show...Carol Duvall was our last hope!!
I SO miss Carol Duvall, and I also miss Debbie Travis. I'm not very happy that HGTV shelved their programs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

To Jo,

PM was fine. The homemade glue dots are like the 'real' ones and are sticky all over. After you see them go clear ... I leave mine overnight ... they are ready to use.

The great thing is that they can be made any size you desire so they are great for larger buttons or heavy embellishments, like old metal jewellery.

You can find some really neat old brooches and such at thrift store and yard sales. Amazing looks as embellishments on cards and, treated with archival spray, could look great on scrapbook pages, too.

I made a bunch of glue dots and, when I get down to the last half dozen, or so, I made a new batch. They don't take up much room so make as many as you think you'll use for a month and just fold over the paper, when they're dry. Or, as one person suggested, you can use old strips from the 'real' ones or sticker sheets when the stickers are used up.

HTH, Alicesue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

Great idea, Mrs. Noofy. Now we can spend the money we would have used for both glue dots and pop dots to get something really cool.

Also, unlike actual pop dots, no having to fiddle with the backing paper thingy. Mercy! That's a pain, sometimes.

TFS

Aside... Another quicky tip: To help remove the backing paper bit from regual pop dots, crease it with your fingernail, first, this helps 'lift' it off of the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 02:55 AM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

???? "regual" ... It' early morning ... what can I say? Aaack! The word is "regular".

Anyone else find that, even after reading it over, you post and, there in glaring written word, is a misspelling!

Luckily, we are all creative people and can read 'around' the mistake to find the gold. ;oD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlicesueView Post
???? "regual" ... It' early morning ... what can I say? Aaack! The word is "regular".

Anyone else find that, even after reading it over, you post and, there in glaring written word, is a misspelling!

Luckily, we are all creative people and can read 'around' the mistake to find the gold. ;oD
Ha ha ha...like what you said!!!! I think it is the time change...boggles my mind every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bumping - great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #89  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up GLUE DOTS!!

Hi ALL...tried Alicesue's thread for making my own glue dots with the Aleene's Tack It Over & Over Glue and it worked GREAT!! And it was fun making them as well. Mine are still curing...made them yesterday afternoon and they are not 100% clear, but getting there!! Can't wait to make more!!

Oh..I had the parchment paper on hand and used that (vs. freezer or waxed paper) and it laid nice and flat on my work surface when forming the dots.

Give it a try everyone!! You'll be HAPPY card makers!!

Take care.....Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Parchment paper

It'll be interesting to see how it lifts off of the parchment paper. Has anyone else used it before?

Tee

Blog: Green Isles
Blog Design: Design by Tee

Artfire: Green Isles Crafts

I design for: Creative Sketches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #91  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, great tip! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraygonfliesView Post
It'll be interesting to see how it lifts off of the parchment paper. Has anyone else used it before?

Tee
See post #75. I threw the dots I put on freezer paper in the garbage. They just would not come off very nicely. In my opinion parchment paper is the one to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #93  
Glitter Queen

I made some on parchment paper, and they took about a day to dry. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or something, but mine are not very sticky :( They work fine for paper on paper, but if I try to use them for, say, a button, they don't really hold well.

My dd likes them, though, and that right there will save me gobs of money ;) Now I just need to experiment and find out what else I can do with this glue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Once you stick say a button on I have found they need to set a while. When I used mine to hold seed beads on the flower centre it took overnight before they were fairly permanent. Like anything else you can't treat it roughly but going through the mail should be okay. It may be more stable to put 2 smaller dots on the button rather than one larger one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #95  
Kookie Creator

Me again!! I tried using both the parchment paper and last nite the waxed
paper. For some reason ?? I could NOT get mine off the waxed paper??!!!
They just would not lift off like they did on the parchment paper.

Have not tried freezer paper (yet)...nor making the glue LINES...maybe that will be tonite's project??!!

I guess to each their own, but as far as being sticky...and I let mine dry for
at least 18 hours!!, they were super sticky and had no problems getting paper, ribbon, etc. to stay "stuck"

They are FUN to make though, and a LOT cheaper so I'm gonna continue
making them.

Take care All..Happy Hunting!! to all you hunters..BE CAREFUL!! Bye, Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #96  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Me again!! I tried using both the parchment paper and last nite the waxed
paper. For some reason ?? I could NOT get mine off the waxed paper??!!!
They just would not lift off like they did on the parchment paper.

Have not tried freezer paper (yet)...nor making the glue LINES...maybe that will be tonite's project??!!

I guess to each their own, but as far as being sticky...and I let mine dry for
at least 18 hours!!, they were super sticky and had no problems getting paper, ribbon, etc. to stay "stuck"

They are FUN to make though, and a LOT cheaper so I'm gonna continue
making them.

Take care All..Happy Hunting!! to all you hunters..BE CAREFUL!! Bye, Jo

Wax paper is a lousy surface to use for just about any adhesive project...most adhesives stick to the stuff. Parchment paper, freezer paper (has to be plastic coated). Craft Sheets or Teflon Pressing sheets (same product as a craft sheet, but cheaper) are non-stick surfaces. BTW; Teflon Pressing sheets are found in fabric and quilt shops; quilters have been using them for a bizillion years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #97  
Glitter Queen

I had not heard about using Aleens Tack it over for glue dots but what a great idea...I will have to give it a go.

I have heard of other ways to make them but have not tried them if you are interested..........

Make Your Own Glue Dots
Cut up sticks of glue made to go in a hot glue gun into tiny pieces and store in a container. When you are ready, set the piece on the card, heat with your heat gun until gooey and voila! you have a glue dot!
Posted by Donna

and the other is to use 100% silicone (clear), comes in tube from hardware store and make them the same way as with Aleenes.

And on a side note...I used to watch Aleenes too! I loved that darn show and I even bought the binder with the monthly how to sheets that cost me over $400 when it was all said and done! lol!

I was also very fortunate that I was on a t.v. show called the Home Show (channel 7 here in CA) years back and I got to meet Carol DuVall and Dian Thomas. Carol showed several of my crafts on her segment.

Thanks for the memory! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #98  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg loves MatthewView Post
I had not heard about using Aleens Tack it over for glue dots but what a great idea...I will have to give it a go.

I have heard of other ways to make them but have not tried them if you are interested..........

Make Your Own Glue Dots
Cut up sticks of glue made to go in a hot glue gun into tiny pieces and store in a container. When you are ready, set the piece on the card, heat with your heat gun until gooey and voila! you have a glue dot!
Posted by Donna

and the other is to use 100% silicone (clear), comes in tube from hardware store and make them the same way as with Aleenes.

And on a side note...I used to watch Aleenes too! I loved that darn show and I even bought the binder with the monthly how to sheets that cost me over $400 when it was all said and done! lol!

I was also very fortunate that I was on a t.v. show called the Home Show (channel 7 here in CA) years back and I got to meet Carol DuVall and Dian Thomas. Carol showed several of my crafts on her segment.

Thanks for the memory! lol
How COOL that you were on that TV Show!! and got to meet Carol DuVall and Dian Thomas...would that have been broadcasted nation wide as I seem to remember the name of that??!! Small world eh ??

And I too!! bought the binder and got the monthly inserts..I thought I was pretty special by golly...hahahaha

GREAT ideas with the silicone and glue sticks...but knowing ME, I'd probably burn a hole in my card trying to melt the pieces of glue sticks...:mrgreen:

Seriously, I was laying my cards on the floor (carpet) and didn't notice until one day I looked over, and you could see where the carpet had been tinged in color (it's beige...or WAS!!) where I must have gotten too close and the edges around where I HAD been laying my cards I must have HEATSET too long....are we laughing now??!!
(I am!!!!!!!!!)

Hey, maybe we should start a thread with some of the FUNNIER things we've ALL done while cards, scrapbooking, using certain TOOLS!! etc....would make for FUN reading I think.

Anyway, give the glue dots a try..they are super easy to make!! and you can make TONS of them in all sizes. And the Aleene's glue comes out SO easy...you barely need to squeeze the bottle...comes out nice and in an EVEN flow.

Fun talking with you. Drop me a pm if you'd like sometime. Take care..Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #99  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

How COOL that you were on that TV Show!! and got to meet Carol DuVall and Dian Thomas...would that have been broadcasted nation wide as I seem to remember the name of that??!! Small world eh ??

And I too!! bought the binder and got the monthly inserts..I thought I was pretty special by golly...hahahaha

GREAT ideas with the silicone and glue sticks...but knowing ME, I'd probably burn a hole in my card trying to melt the pieces of glue sticks...:mrgreen:

Seriously, I was laying my cards on the floor (carpet) and didn't notice until one day I looked over, and you could see where the carpet had been tinged in color (it's beige...or WAS!!) where I must have gotten too close and the edges around where I HAD been laying my cards I must have HEATSET too long....are we laughing now??!!
(I am!!!!!!!!!)

Hey, maybe we should start a thread with some of the FUNNIER things we've ALL done while cards, scrapbooking, using certain TOOLS!! etc....would make for FUN reading I think.

Anyway, give the glue dots a try..they are super easy to make!! and you can make TONS of them in all sizes. And the Aleene's glue comes out SO easy...you barely need to squeeze the bottle...comes out nice and in an EVEN flow.

Fun talking with you. Drop me a pm if you'd like sometime. Take care..Jo

lol...yeah I too, can see myself burning the project I was working on with that tip!

Yes I think the show was nation wide. Gary Collins and Sarah Purcell were the hosts. I also modeled for Rue McClanahan (Golden Girls) on that same show (she had her own clothes line she was showing) and I got to make pizza with Wolfgang Puck...guess it was my 15 minutes of fame! lol!

Thanks again for the memories....I am going to try the dots as soon as I get moved...all my scrappy stuff is packed in boxes:(

Take care and thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #100  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

:mrgreen: i just got some of this stuff!! thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #101  
Inking Addict

Where do you get your Aleene's Tack It Over and Over? I've looked in my local craft store, and I'm not finding it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #102  
Kookie Creator

works great. I love it. I found my bottle at Michael's..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for all the WONDERFUL tips everyone!!! I'm so excited, I can't wait to try making my own glue dots! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 AM   #104  
Matboard Maniac

Ok now I have only found this thread and I am elated as I use a lot of dots, however we dont have Aileen's tacky glue here in the UK ( or at least i dont think we do) and was wondering would the tombow multi glue from SU work? that is a repo glue and very sticky . Actually I might be the best person to ask that one after I ve tried a few. Will let you know. M xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #105  
Kookie Creator

Question: if the Aleene's Tack it Over and Over does not become permanent (I've used on UM stamps for years) ... does that mean the Glue Dots you make with it also are not permanent? Any problems with stuff not staying put with these glue dots?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by passionflowerView Post
Ok now I have only found this thread and I am elated as I use a lot of dots, however we dont have Aileen's tacky glue here in the UK ( or at least i dont think we do) and was wondering would the tombow multi glue from SU work? that is a repo glue and very sticky . Actually I might be the best person to ask that one after I ve tried a few. Will let you know. M xx
Any brand of repo glue works for this technique...including the marker glues. A repo is a repo is a repo! Same rules apply for all...allow to dry to clear (it will remain tacky) before before adhering layers; store 'dots' covered on a non-stick surface (don't use wax paper); all are water reversible and not affected either by moisture or humidity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #107  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdislandgirlView Post
Question: if the Aleene's Tack it Over and Over does not become permanent (I've used on UM stamps for years) ... does that mean the Glue Dots you make with it also are not permanent? Any problems with stuff not staying put with these glue dots?
items (papers, embellishments, etc.) attached with a repo glue (DIY dots, lines, etc.) to a substrate can be taken apart, however, a certain amount of force is required...the stuff just doesn't fall apart without some help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Any brand of repo glue works for this technique...including the marker glues. A repo is a repo is a repo! Same rules apply for all...allow to dry to clear (it will remain tacky) before before adhering layers; store 'dots' covered on a non-stick surface (don't use wax paper); all are water reversible and not affected either by moisture or humidity.
You are right, I have tried it today and they are just fabulous, and if you are concerned about hold please don't, if you press hard to adhere whatever you glue will stay put. Thank you :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #109  
Rubber Obsessor

I tried using the method of making glue dots as well, however I saw last week where someone used the hot glue gun and made dots on acetate waited for them to dry and then colored them.
I tried it last night and they turned pretty nicely. The idea was great thanks for sharing. I have a picture of the ones I made in my gallery, I also made some heart shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #110  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraygonfliesView Post

Tee
I made some on parchment paper. The came off easily and didn't even leave a residue or anything on the paper, so you could easily reuse the paper.

I cut strips of paper about 2 1/2" wide and rolled them up (when dry), similar to the way glue dots are packaged. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #111  
Rubber Obsessor

bumping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #112  
Stazon Splitcoast

I cant wait to try this. I use lots and lots of the large size glue dots.
Thanks so very much for sharing this idea!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! I just got some TIO&O the other day! I can't wait to try this! Going on my to-do list! Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #114  
Kookie Creator

Default i have looked everywhere and cant find

the tack it over and over...they dont sell it here in nashville, tennessee area...i was going to order it online thru the save on crafts site and the shipping was more than it costs...about $9

bummer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #115  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanwmsrnView Post
the tack it over and over...they dont sell it here in nashville, tennessee area...i was going to order it online thru the save on crafts site and the shipping was more than it costs...about $9

bummer

I bought some about a month ago from Michael's at 100 Oaks Mall (Nashville, TN). It was around $4. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #116  
Rubber Obsessor

Great idea. I will definately use this! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #117  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I am going to try this today. It looks like it does NOT work on waxed paper, is this correct? What about aluminum foil? I have that, I wonder if that works. I dont' have parchment paper but I assume you can find that at the grocery or Walmart? I go through ALOT of glue dots so I am anxious to try this technique and will today.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #118  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I am going to try this today. It looks like it does NOT work on waxed paper, is this correct? What about aluminum foil? I have that, I wonder if that works. I dont' have parchment paper but I assume you can find that at the grocery or Walmart? I go through ALOT of glue dots so I am anxious to try this technique and will today.
Parchment Paper worked the BEST!! for me...IF I had to choose between waxed paper and tinfoil..I'd go with the wax paper...just my 2 cents...

The dots have worked GREAT for me...can make LOTS at a time, in whatever size you need!! I really have fun making them...and they DO stick so no worries...

Give it a try and make up a few on the waxpaper you have...that way if you don't care for it, you haven't bought the parchment paper..(although you can always use parchment paper in crafting)...tee hee....

Good luck..will be anxious to hear how they worked for you. Cya!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #119  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
You can get cooking parchment paper in grocery stores (with waxed paper, foil and freezer paper) and in Michaels (in the Wilton section). Parchment paper is as good a non-stick surface as Teflon Craft Sheets. (Ranger Craft Sheets, for example); it can used til it's nothing but shreads. In addition to being non-stick, it's also very resistant to heat (again can be used as a substitute for a Craft Sheet).

The shiny side of freezer paper is plastic, and is a much better non-stick surface than wax paper. Wax paper is often affected by adhesives and is not suitable for long-term storage of DIY glue dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #120  
Kookie Creator

thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes