Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inking edges

Ok, so I know when I ink the edges of my cards, I use the small ColorBox (eye-shaped) ink pads. They are very effective and easy to use, plus cheap, cheap, but I think (when bought new) that they are just too dark to give a card a "softened" inked look. I really like that look of a soft ink that comes more into the center of the card, giving it lots of shading and that aged look. I notice that many use sponges to apply the ink, but some use chalk. I've found that I can't get good shading with chalks, so I'm discouraged to use them.

Can you tell me what kind of products you use to ink the edges of your cards?? Maybe there's something out there that I haven't tried doing yet. Thanks for looking and for replying!!!

Jayme
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think depending on the look you are after depends on how you apply the ink to the edges -- as well as what type of ink. For the most part I like the softer look and I think that is what you are talking about (?) Most of the time I use the little Colorbox Chalk Ink (eye shapes) and I use a finger dauber. When you dab the dauber on the ink pad test it on a piece of scrap paper to see if it's going to look like what you want. Wait a few minutes to decide if you are using chalk ink because it tends to look a little lighter and softer after it dries for a minute. Then you can always use a lighter touch with the dauber to get a lighter ink on the edged than you would if using the ink pad direct on the paper or press it a few times on scratch paper to get some of the ink off to lighten it up. For me it's easier to control the pressure and how much ink I get on the a finger dauber. Sponges work great too...but I think they do give a different look than the dauber. In my option I think the dauber is more like an ink pad surface. If you are looking for brighter colors but want them applied with a softer look then don't use chalk ink - like for instance black. (The darkest black chalk looks more like a dark grey ash to me)

So if you haven't tried the daubers -- you should try. They are usually about $1 each and you can get them at most craft stores or StampinUP! sells them too. I use finger daubers way more than sponges for inking up paper edges. Hope that helps
My SCS Gallery

Last edited by versamom; 01-04-2008 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: added a sentence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you, that was very helpful. Think I'll have to look into getting some daubers... by the way, are they washable?? So that I can reuse them???

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #4  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayme77View Post
are they washable?? So that I can reuse them???
You could probably wash them if you "really" wanted to very gently. But, I never have. I have one for brown, one for black, one for red, etc. etc. I find that I usually use the same inks over and over for the edges of things. And I have even used chalk brown on 1 and turned around and used Chocolate Chip Classic ink on the same one. I just use a scrap paper and press the dauber down a bunch to get a lot of the ink out before changing to another ink of the same color. Hope that makes sense! And I am pretty hard on the little daubers and use them alot so I chew them up kind of fast :rolleyes:. I also have a special little storage box I picked up at a local scrapbook store that holds daubers. My dream is to someday have it filled and all the little daubers labeled LOL I'm gonna take a pic and post it...... I'll be back and tell you where to look.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #5  

Default Dauber Storage Box

Click on the link below to see a pic of my dauber storage box

Dauber Storage by versamom at Splitcoaststampers
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I prefer the look a sponge gives rather than the dauber. I have cut a wedge out of a round sponge to use. Also, I have washed it. Here is SU's. I think you can probably get a similar sponge at a local store.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #7  

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I too prefer the sponge look to a dauber...my technique isn't very good with a dauber, and I always seem to get a round circle instead of a swiped look. I cut my round sponges into quarters or even 8ths and have one sponge for each color. I keep each one in a "treat" sized zip-lock baggie, (the color is written on the outside of the baggie with a magic marker) which all hang from a couple of wire hangers using clothes pins. Since I don't use wire hangers anymore, I thought these made good use of them..lol. Actually I have about all 48 colors on two hangers...works for me, and I can see them easily.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do use both the sponges from Stampin' Up and the daubers. I've also used make-up sponges (wedges). I prefer the daubers and make-up sponges as I feel I have more control with them. I use the yellow larger sponges (Stampin' Up) cut in wedges for backgrounds. Sea sponges can also give an even different effect.

I do rinse out my daubers and sponges so they don't get dried ink on them. I dedicate each to the color I first used it for. I store mine in small zip baggies with a label on bag.

By the way......the website listed in previous post has a link for daubers. I have to put a plug in for Stampin' Up. They sell them cheaper. They come 12 in a package (or at least they did in last year's catalog.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also find I like the round sponges, seem to have the best look using them.
Lynns' idea of cutting them into pie shaped wedges or 8ths seems very practical and less ink over the fingers when dabbing onto paper

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #10  

I agree with everyone -- I also use both sponges (cut in 4th for wedges) and daubers. Yup....I think StampinUP! has a great price on the daubers (gotta love it even better since I'm a demonstrator - and I'm my best customer! LOL)

I do use multiple techniques for inking up the edges of things -- as well as different kinds of inks. I like the daubers when I do smaller things ... and when I want the inking mostly toward the edges I like the daubers -- sometimes I use a Fantastix Brush Point Coloring tool for hard to reach places. The sponges work GREAT and I use them all the time as well ... especially when I want more coverage with the ink -- and if you kind of pinch the sponges as you apply to the paper that works good too. Also the direct from ink pad to paper is awesome. I guess I like it all! ha!

***Jayme*** maybe you can point out some cards that you like so we can see better what look you are trying to achieve. I'm sure someone here on SCS can figure it out for ya :mrgreen: Maybe it's just the kind of ink that will give you the look you're after.

Am I typing too much?! ha ha ha ha. I love this place.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Inking edges

I use sponges. They work great. I go to the Dollar Tree and buy the big yellow sponges that you wash your car with. Cut them up into cubes, like cheese used as appetizers. In fact, my stampin group call them Cheeses. We use them for what ever project we are working on and then throw them away. They are cheap and that way don't have to label or keep anything. We cut up several sponges at a time and put them in a large zip lock. Always on hand and easy to use.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Hay Jayme! I use Colorbox Chalk cat eyes and love the soft cloud-y effect. K.. you'll laugh.. but getting too much ink on the card edges was major stress for me. ;) I stamp at my kitchen table and have my napkin holder always sitting in the middle. Out of sheer desperation I grabbed a paper napkin, opened it fully, crumpled part of it and dabbed it gently onto the cats eye. Softly swipping it over a scrap piece, I had to holler *go figure*! It worked!!! Then all I had to do was swipe again and build to get the amt. of ink I wanted. It really didn't take much. Totally disposable and CHEEP!!! ...my kinda tool! Practice a bit on scrap paper first to find your technique.. swirling, brushing in one direction, etc. HTH
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Alright, some samples of what I'd like to achieve, but can't seem to get that effect.

This lovely card, Rhythms by Jeanne S at Splitcoaststampers, by Jeanne S. is just fantastic. I love how it's dark on the edges, but softer and smooth towards the center. Great sample for inking, IMO.

Another is WT139, Carte Postale Sympathy by stampersandee at Splitcoaststampers by Stampersandee. I love how it's just so much coverage without the look of lines, swirls or application.

(and I know I should be asking these women, which is what I think I'll do)

Another is skull and bones bday by valwibbens at Splitcoaststampers, by Valwibbens. It's just adorable, er I mean spooky.

It's these kinds of inking that I'd love to achieve and maybe I have the supplies, but I really wanted to know what kind of applications everyone else preferred, so that I can try them out. I don't have any daubers, but I do have the yellow sponges (I just cut off a pie shape and use it when necessary). Thanks for all the replies and all the information. Very much noted and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys!
I use a round sponge (similar to SU! ones) that I cut in quarters. I ONLY use the round edge. My favorite inks to use for sponging are the Ranger Distress inks. They take just a smidge longer to dry than most dye inks and that gives you time to work them into a real soft look by going over the same spot a few times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can use a stipple brush to get these effects start out on the edge and work your way in and then go back over the parts you want to be darker.

but if you hear back from any of the ladies you cited above, please post back so we'll all know.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

For the edges of cards and for a rough distressed look, I use my SU ink pad. When I want a softer look I will use a sponge. I have tried the make-up sponge before and didn't like the effect. If I am not sure what look I want I take a piece of scrap CS, in the appropriate color/s, and try different things (sponges, ink pads, fingers, etc...) until I get what I like. I have even had to change the distressing color. My suggestion is to try several techniques until you find one that fits the look you are going for on the individual card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayme77View Post
Alright, some samples of what I'd like to achieve, but can't seem to get that effect.

This lovely card, Rhythms by Jeanne S at Splitcoaststampers, by Jeanne S. is just fantastic. I love how it's dark on the edges, but softer and smooth towards the center. Great sample for inking, IMO.

It's these kinds of inking that I'd love to achieve and maybe I have the supplies, but I really wanted to know what kind of applications everyone else preferred, so that I can try them out. I don't have any daubers, but I do have the yellow sponges (I just cut off a pie shape and use it when necessary). Thanks for all the replies and all the information. Very much noted and appreciated.
When I went to this card I noticed that Jeanne had a referrence to her blog with more details Blogs at Splitcoaststampers

She has used Tea Dye Distress ink to sponge the edge of the card - using a sponge.

One way to apply the ink is to start the sponge from off the side of the card so most of the ink goes on the edge and to gently swirl and buff the colour as you move inwards on the card. Another would be to use 2 inks of the same colour - but a dark and a lighter version.

Somewhere I have a list of several different ways to distress the edges with inks. I just need to find the original link and I will post it.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

In an email from Val:

Hi Jayme!
I use the small yellow round sponges- like SU, cut into fours. For this card, I just used SU's classic black ink pad. I usually just hold the card in my hand, rub the rounded edge of the sponge in the pad and then swipe the edges in a careless fashion, almost "flicking" the card. Does this help? Thanks for you kind comment!
Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

ok here's teh link; I'm better organised than i thought
http://www.thescrapheap.com.au/learn...king-paula.htm
DTP techniques - A mixture of edging and general applications of ink

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

In an email from Sandee:

OMGosh! Jayme- I am thrilled and so touched that you liked my card and used it as an example on the thread! Really all I did was sponge, sponge, sponge on that particular card! I use the sponges from SU! but I have seen similar ones here and there. They come in a pack of three and then I cut them into however many wedges I want! Sometimes when I sponge I sort of start just away from the image toward the edge and sometimes I go from edge toward the center and sometimes I just hold the paper up and sort of scrape the edge with the inked sponge! I love the look that sponging gives a card too! I hope this helps a little! And thanks again for making my day! Have a great week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CirceView Post
Oh my gosh!!! What a fantastic tutorial!!! This is just the kind of explanation I was looking for. Thank you for posting this!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CirceView Post
SCORE!!!!!!! This is awesome!! I LOVE YOU ALL And thanks to Jayme for posting her questions.....because of that.....look at all the GREAT INFO we get from it!! yippee!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance :mrgreen: Go Stampers Go Stampers Go Stampers!! LOL (the fun never ends here as SCS! 24/7)

Hey...go check out my newest storage item. I posted a pic of it on My Gallery and I posted a pic on my blog. WAY COOL!

Making Memories Wall Unit by versamom at Splitcoaststampers

http://loribarnett.blogspot.com/2008/01/look
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

omgosh that's a cute storage rack.. you are soo lucky to have your own space!!! I wish I can have one someday too. I am also soo happy for that tutorial, can't wait to try them out!!! *doin the dance, doin the dance*

j

Quote:

Originally Posted by versamomView Post
SCORE!!!!!!! This is awesome!! I LOVE YOU ALL And thanks to Jayme for posting her questions.....because of that.....look at all the GREAT INFO we get from it!! yippee!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance :mrgreen: Go Stampers Go Stampers Go Stampers!! LOL (the fun never ends here as SCS! 24/7)

Hey...go check out my newest storage item. I posted a pic of it on My Gallery and I posted a pic on my blog. WAY COOL!

Making Memories Wall Unit by versamom at Splitcoaststampers

http://loribarnett.blogspot.com/2008/01/look.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I love that round orange sponge as well. I don't cut mine though...I just numbered the flat side 1-5 and use it for 5 different inks in the same color family. I have sponges....blue, green, reds, brown.

When sponging the edges of cards, however, I just use the little makeup sponges that you get at any department store.....24 for $2 something. Sometimes I wash them by hand....sometimes, just throw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #25  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not a big sponger, but the best product that I have found so far is by Ranger.. called Cut -n -Dry. It is a big sheet ( like letter size ) of sponge, and you just cut off as little or as much as you need. I find it has the most delicate touch of anything that I have tried.. and you can sponges edges on an angle etc etc - much lighter touch than a dauber or a real sponge. It's cheap enough - 6 -7 dollars - so I just throw my little pieces away - but you could reuse them with the same colour. Just my 2 cents!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #26  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not a big sponger, but the best product that I have found so far is by Ranger.. called Cut -n -Dry. It is a big sheet ( like letter size ) of sponge, and you just cut off as little or as much as you need. I find it has the most delicate touch of anything that I have tried.. and you can sponges edges on an angle etc etc - much lighter touch than a dauber or a real sponge. It's cheap enough - 6 -7 dollars - so I just throw my little pieces away - but you could reuse them with the same colour. Just my 2 cents!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I've just started doing scrapbooking and card making. I have been thinking about trying the daubers and now that I've read all the suggestions, I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Just the info I was looking for! Thanks ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Something else I have found that gives a "smoother" look than sponges are the Jumbo Daubers like this one: http://www.eclecticpaperie.com/tsst2025.html

I love the way they look!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I use the round orange sponges. I cut them into 8 pieces. They wash up real nice and don't hold the stained color. I do find with them, however, that as you use them, you might want to sponge over a piece of paper as the sponge starts to slough off. I am known as the sponging queen at our house, along with being the double-sided tape queen! By the way, I use the rounded edge as opposed to the pointed end. I also like to dip the edges of my paper into either VersaMark or a pigment ink pad and then dip it into embossing powder that I've poured into a folded piece of copy paper. You need to be sure that both sides have embossed. Gives a real nice look. Depending on how deeply you push the edge of the card in depends upon how much embossing powder will adhere. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just use the cat's eyes. I angle the cat's eye " \" against the cardstock and swipe down. I start with a really light stroke barley touching the card. I make one pass around all sides and if I want more I increase the angle and go around the card again. It make take me 3 or 4 passes but I have better control this way. If want to increase the shading to closer to the center of the card I use Dove Stipple Airbrushes as they are the best for shading. These are not like the stipple brushes sold by SU. These brushes are thick, lush, softer bristles and the tips are evenly rounded. It takes a little practice but you can do amazing shading with these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by versamomView Post
Click on the link below to see a pic of my dauber storage box

Dauber Storage by versamom at Splitcoaststampers
Very cool - I love storage stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes