Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to apply Diamond Dust

I keep seeing DD in the description of some of the cards, which I assume is diamond dust. I saw some at AC Moore and I want to put it on my Christmas cards, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. I have a stamp of a pine branch and I want to put it on the branches. Any ideas?

thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably just run a thing line of diamond glaze and then sprinkle the Diamond Dust over it, shake off excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I think DD stands for dazzling diamonds, SU's glitter. Diamond dust is a little different, not sure if it would stay on the card long term. I would try it out now to see how it lasts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

To me, DD is Dazzling Diamonds from SU...and I use it with the Heat and Stick powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I agree with everyone else here that in the gallery DD usually stands for Dazzling Diamonds, the fine glitter from SU.

But I'm chiming in because I use Diamond Dust! Because Diamond Dust is rather large, as far as glitter size goes, I think it's best to use an adhesive that has a bit more umph. Like tdodd00 suggested, Diamond Glaze would work -- I typically use Glossy Accents by Ranger. I like it because it dries crystal clear and doesn't dull down the sparkle of the Diamond Dust. Have fun with it!! It's great stuff!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #6  

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks - I think you are all right. I went back to AC Moores to look at it more closely and it is big. But it looks kind of cool, so I think i'll give it a try. Thanks for the information everyone.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen for my SU DD and works very well! I can apply a little bit or more, anywhere I want it with the touch of the pen tip!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Every time I use dazzling diamonds I have an issue with it sticking to more than just the adhesive area. I use a 2-way pen and it's on the glue area as well as sprinkled throughout the rest of the card. Also I have a problem with it "crunching" and losing it's shape and falling off the card. After a day or 2 i can wipe the glitter right off my card with my finger with very little effort. Any ideas? I love DD but I don't want to keep using it if I can't get it to stay on. By the time my cards reach their destination via mail you can no longer tell where I used DD or that I did a shoddy job....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #9  

indyscrapmom,
Do you "recharge" your 2-way glue pen? Each time before I start gluing I puch it down on a scrap of paper to refill the tip. My SU DD stays on all the way to the middle east where it is a stand in for snow.

Home that helps
Markey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyscrapmomView Post
Every time I use dazzling diamonds I have an issue with it sticking to more than just the adhesive area. I use a 2-way pen and it's on the glue area as well as sprinkled throughout the rest of the card. Also I have a problem with it "crunching" and losing it's shape and falling off the card. After a day or 2 i can wipe the glitter right off my card with my finger with very little effort. Any ideas? I love DD but I don't want to keep using it if I can't get it to stay on. By the time my cards reach their destination via mail you can no longer tell where I used DD or that I did a shoddy job....
If you are allowing the two-way glue to get a bit dry before applying the DD, you're letting it work the "second" way, i.e., temporarily. That may be why it's brushing off.

As for it getting all over, that seems to be the nature of glitter! I find I'm pretty glittery after using it, myself.;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Hi to indyscrapmom
You might want to try your embossin budby on your card first. I find that helps me when I use DD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I use a clean watercolor brush to gently wipe away glitter that's loose. I don't go anywhere near the place where it's glued though.
I love using the two-way glue and my cards hang up on the wall for display - glitter intact. I hope you find a solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

My favorite adhesive for applying glitter is Crystal Effects. Once it is dry- it's there for good! Plus you get a pretty big bottle for $6.25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

The title of this thread is Diamond Dust. It's very confusing that some are talking about a totally different product. I'm also interest in the Diamond Dust and how to use it.

If people would read the title of the threads, it would be a big help to those of us that are not married to only using Stampin' Up products. Yes I use Stampin' Up products, but also purchase items from other sources. Many of the threads on this forum have the same confusing problem.

Perhaps also if people would spell out what they are saying instead of all these abbreviations, it would be much easier for everyone to understand. These threads are for everyone, not just people who exclusively use Stampin' Up products.

Thank you to those few people who actually are sticking to the topic of this thread. I think I did finally get the answer to my question on how to use the Diamond Dust product.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
The title of this thread is Diamond Dust. It's very confusing that some are talking about a totally different product. I'm also interest in the Diamond Dust and how to use it.

If people would read the title of the threads, it would be a big help to those of us that are not married to only using Stampin' Up products. Yes I use Stampin' Up products, but also purchase items from other sources. Many of the threads on this forum have the same confusing problem.

Perhaps also if people would spell out what they are saying instead of all these abbreviations, it would be much easier for everyone to understand. These threads are for everyone, not just people who exclusively use Stampin' Up products.

Thank you to those few people who actually are sticking to the topic of this thread. I think I did finally get the answer to my question on how to use the Diamond Dust product.

Patti
I'm not sure why you are confused. Every post above is in reference to using Diamond Dust glitter, which by the way I love. I use DD glitter all the time and there are some great tips listed here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #16  

Quote:

Patti
Hi Patti,

Even though the title of the thread was Applying Diamond Dust. Her first sentence was "I Keep seeing DD..." It appeared that she was clarifing what DD was, and luckily some people answered Diamond Dust and some people replied they thought it was Dazzleing Diamonds. Even though there are preferences you can bet most of the adhesion suggestions will work on either of the fine glitters. I am not sure if the brand was the issue or adhesion was the issue. Either way I hope she feels she received good advice for her needs.

Forums are like a get-together so that people can have open discussions and sometimes as will all conversations we get off on tangets; and unfortunately, due to the lack of intoneation of voices we also miss how people are really saying something and be misinterpreted as to our attitude about what we are saying.

Who makes Diamond Dust? When I looked it up on the net the craft place shows, " 14 oz. plastic jar of Diamond Dust Glitter (crushed glass)" I emailed them to clarify if it is actually glass. Do you know what it actually is? I'm looking forward to their reply.

M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Patti

Maybe you should re-read the OP's question ~ where she says she ASSUMES people are referring to diamond dust but is not sure! I would also agree with the others that people are referring to Dazzling Diamonds when they use DD.

I don't believe ANY of us believe we are "married" to Stampin' Up... but maybe you should take a look at the gallery. Do you see any sets other than SU's listed? I'd love to know why you always seem to be ruffling someone's feathers so to speak. Ever since you joined SCS you have managed to make someone uncomfortable with what seems to be "stamping snootiness". You've been called on it before and here you are doing it again.

Kindness begets kindness. Take a look around.... the women here are amazing. I've seen them do the nicest things for people they've never met! And you continually talk down to them... it's not right.

As for the abbreviations... this is not the first time you've mentioned you would like people not to use them. It's not going to happen so accept it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Wow! Way to state it Stamp Happy Susie! I am glad to see most of us actually are happy, honest, caring people who are all here to at least be friendly to eachother. Come on Ladies! I was in shock when I checked back on this thread,and read such a rude post. If you don't like it. Don't read it. I to actually assumed we were talking about Dazzling Diamonds. Aren't we all here to learn from eachother? Not be rude. Not belittle eachother. Not freak out! There is enough negativity, rudeness etc.. everywhere else. This is the last place it should be. Cliche but come on. Can't we all just get along! Think about a rude, offensive... post before you make it- it might come back on ya....Karma baby, karma. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default DiamondDust

Speaking of DiamondDust, did you know that you can find edible glitter on thesugarart.com ? It would be PERFECT for holiday creations!! It is a must-have in the baker's holiday gift guide! This very fine edible glitter dust is tasteless, leaving a smooth finish! Perfect for cakes, cookies, chocolates and more!

Be sure to try your DiamonDust in cocktails or any beverage of choice! It will bring unbeatable SPARKLE to those Holiday Party drinks and have all your family and friends tagging you on social media!
Reply With Quote Likes