Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with glass etching

I must be doing something really wrong - according to the instructions by Colleen kidder - I am stamping on the glass in versa mark, clear embossing - then putting the armour etch on for 5 minutes - now - where the problem comes - when I try to "scratch" off the embossing under the hot water - everything disappears - the armor etch also - leaving me with a nearly clean glass again!!! Should I leave it on longer? I did try that and got a little more of the etching left - any ideas? Wanting to do this for a hostess group but if I can't get the dumb thing right - no use to show them!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some ideas that might work:

First, make removing the armour etch and EP two steps. First run the item under water to remove the cream and after it's gone then try to remove the EP. If you do both at first I'm afraid that the cream will get into places where you don't want it.

Is the cream old? I don't know if it expires or not.

Make sure you are putting the cream on thick. You should not be able to see the EP or the glass. Also, I don't use clear EP but rather colored - makes it easier to see if you have all of it off or not.

Lastly, when you are done dry your item. I've found that the etching doesn't show up as well when it's wet making you think it's not working but once the glass item dries it looks much better.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default glass etching

A couple of years ago I did quite a bit of glass etching. I made a lot of glass etched Christmas ornaments as gifts. I actually came across a batch of glass ornaments that WOULD NOT ETCH.

I bought a couple dozen identical flat glass ornaments at Michael's. I was amazed to find that 6 of them would not etch no matter how long I left the etching cream on. There must have been something different about the glass in those 6 ornaments but they didn't look any different.

I ended up taking them back & exchanging them. The new ones seemed fine. It may just be the type of glass you're using. It's just something to consider.

Try etching something else too. Then you can tell if the cream is just too old. I also found that it's OK to leave the cream on a lot longer than they say. It doesn't seem to harm anything.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Glass Etching

I just tried it this morning. The instructions on the etching cream say to leave it on for 15 minutes. It worked for me!
Adele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by paka
A couple of years ago I did quite a bit of glass etching. I made a lot of glass etched Christmas ornaments as gifts. I actually came across a batch of glass ornaments that WOULD NOT ETCH. .
On my bottle it says the etching cream won't work on Pyrex glass. So it makes sense that some glass might not work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, it isn't old - unless it was old at the store - the glass pieces that I have tried it on - are two different types from two different stores - so the odds are not high that I managed to get the same type of glass where it wouldn't take the etching - although I suppose it is not entirely out of the question - however, I do think I will try for the 15 minute "leave on" instead of 5 minutes. I actually like the look of just stamping the snowflakes, then clear embossing them and doing nothing else - looks kind of neat and if I could just find those crystals to put inside the containers with some winter looking flowers - it would probably look super. Another day's project. Better stick to getting this mastered first! Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes