Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brads

I've never used brads but I've seen some that were awesome. I'd like to buy some but how do you set them?
inky-fingers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:44 AM   #2  
Montague Mingler

If we're talking about the same thing, they should have tines off the back that fold down - kind of like the clasp on a clasp envelope. I just punch a small hole (with a punch, with the eyelet hole punch or make a slit with my exacto knife - whatever I have handy) and put them through. I like to have mine so the ends don't go inside the card but it depends on what you are using them for.
Brads are also wonderful for attaching vellum to a card since the adhesive shows through most vellums.
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:46 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default brads

That's the beauty of brads, you don't have to set them! I just punch a hole where I want the brad to go. Pop it in and open the little wings on the back! I have an old, old, old cat and she hates when I get the hammer out for eyelets, so I have been using brads much more often. I even bought some brads that look just like buttons! They come in so many colors and shapes. I used mitten ones for cards at Christmas. Once you try them you will really enjoy the ease of using them.

Paula :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:46 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Brads don't need to be "set". The only thing you have to do is punch a hole that the brad prongs can go through (big enough, but not so big that the head of the brad would go through), put the brad through the hole, then spread the prongs of the brad till they're flat against the paper. Does that make sense??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with brads

Quote:

Originally Posted by inky-fingers
I've never used brads but I've seen some that were awesome. I'd like to buy some but how do you set them?
inky-fingers
I usually use my paper piercer to make a little hole in the paper, then I just push them through and spread the prongs on the back. You can just force them through, but on cardstock I find that too hard to do without bending up my cardstock.

I have used the point of my scissors or craft knife when my piercer was not handy, but only for one or two. I would hate to break my scissors for being lazy. Also, I have seen it suggested to use a push pin to make the starter hole.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to add that where applicable, after spreading the prongs, I like to set the item wrong side down on a table, and press on the brad's head on the front. This makes the prongs lay really flat. And it is much easier that fiddling with them on the back.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I just bought a bunch from Addictedtoscrapbooking.com and haven't used them yet but they look pretty easy to set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I much prefer brads to eyelets....although eyelets actually have an "eye" and brads do not.

I hope there are more to choose from in the SU catatlog this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:09 AM   #9  
PAPER SCAPER

I also like mine so they don't show on the inside of a card so I do layers to avoid this.

If I have a certain shape I don't want to shift position such as a tree or star I just add a little piece of tape to the back to hold in place.

After it's in place I cover with a folded paper towel so it don't damage the finish and smack it lightly with something to set it tight and take some bulkiness out of it. I use a samll hammer.

I do birthday mailings for a charity and some ready made cards were sent to me with those huge office supply brads. I didn't think they would go through the mailing system without tearing the envelope and I didn't want to pay extra psotage so I just hammered them down and they looked as if I distressed them on purpose, which I guess I did didn't I!

Another good tip is to use a piece of corrugated paper placed in the envelope for padding with the brad facing it to protect from tearing the envelope through the mailing system.

And for the new brad users out there you can color the brads by heating them and dipping into embossing powder. Hold it with a tool because they do get very hot. Some people also smear the head in their Versa Mark pad to help hold the powder better. I used a small decorative cloths pin to hold it and then stood it up to dry a big one might work also.

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I love using brads wayyyy more than eyelets! No pounding on the table! Just insert them and you're set. Plus, I have dipped them in Versamark and then some ep and heated them up. The colors change and gives them a unique look all their own. :lol:
Plus they now come in all shapes, sizes and colors...why not give 'em a whirl??

Reply With Quote Likes