Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question heat embossing not smooth

Hi there!

I have been experimenting with heat embossing this weekend and can't seem to get the heat embossed image to be smooth. It is bumpy and has pits, like the powder has missed some spots.

I am using versamark ink, zing embossing powder and marvy heating tool. And i use a recollections brayer (i bought from Michaels) when heat embossing dry embossed images.

How do i get it to look smooth? Am i not using enough versamark ink? is it the embossing powder? is it my brayer? it has tiny tiny lines on it which could affect how the ink gets on the dry embossed image? or maybe it's how i use my heating tool?

Any feedback would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

sometimes you have to do it twice. I have noticed of late that I have had to reaply the vera mark and embossing powder and heat twice I don't know if the humidty has anything to do with it our not .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! Maybe it has to do with the type of paper i use too? It is beautiful and smooth when i heat emboss on vellum but it does not look the same on cardstock. I'll try to do it twice...now i just need to make sure my hands are steady when i reapply the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

It could be the embossing powder you are using. I find that I get a smoother result with a fine or detail embossing power. I saw in the forums or on a blog where someone did a comparison to show the differences in embossing powder. If I can find it I will post the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

When we suggest doing it twice, we mean to add another layer of powder immediately while the first layer is still hot then heat again. You will notice a big difference, especially on solid images.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your embossing powder will also pit if you're heating too long because is starts to burn the embossing powder. Heat until it just turns shiny and move your tool to another area. Moving the tool back and forth over the area that you want to emboss distributes the heat more evenly and you will be less likely to overheat the embossing powder. Another trick is to heat it from the back side. This will also prevent blowing the embossing powder around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I appreaciate this advise!! I also had problems with embossing powder pitting on solid stamp images .
I will try heating less and from the back and also applying a second coat of the Embossing powder.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I've heard that Zing embossing powders don't melt very well. I can't say from personal experience, though. I do know that I had to throw away some old e.p. because it was doing just what you're talking about. I think it does get stale after awhile, and not all brands of e.p. are very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the tips! Zing ep was perfect on vellum so I'll have to change my technique on cardstock. I'll let you know how it goes. It also pits less when i use Ranger ep but Zing has sooo many colours!

Which brands would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I like the stampendous, distress powders, adirondack, ye old stamp company for fine detail as well as Utee. ( Its a Vancover, bc company). I have recently bought 10 Zing powders..most are metallic and some glitter...have yet to try them :( Oh I hope they are okay and work. Anyone pls tell me if they have had success with them? Any tips? Thanks so much for the vellum tip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Alrighty! I reapplied the zing ep when the image was still hot and reheated to get rid of the pits. I had to do it atleast 3 times but it was worth it. It's now smooth and pretty. Maybe zing ep isn't the best ep to use unless you have time to reapply and reheat. I tried using a juicier pigment ink pad but the pits were still there on the first try.

I only had to heat it once with ranger ep. But if i heated it too little there was pits. If i heated too much little bumps would raise. A very small window to make it perfect.

I may not have been applying enough heat with the zing ep. if i heated the image long enough until some pits disappear and right before the little bumps start to rise, then reapply zing and reheat, it comes out great. in just 2 applications!

jasmineh, i found that the glitter zing ep didn't need a second application to hide the pits since it has glitter and has a rough feel to it so the pits are less noticeable.

thanks for all your expertise! it was really helpful! i guess i just have to get to know my ep a little better they each respond to the heat so differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile UTEE ultra thick embossing powder

Hi everyone,

I am on the search ( non too successful as yet) of finding UTEE here in Australia.I am driving myself crazy looking for it.
I am starting to make antique brass pendant jewellery and I need this UTEE to finish my projects.I rang a few local scrapbooking/stamper stores,they have white,black etc but not the clear.Its also called STEE or XTEE.

If anyone can tell me where I can get it from I would appreciate it.Worst come to worst I will have to buy it on ebay and get it shipped.
I guess this seems to be my easiest option other than not starting at all.
thanks in advance.I might post a video ( if it works to show you what I am trying to do)

Scrap Time - Ep. 662 - Using Vintaj Jewelry Findings with Ranger Melt Art on Vimeo
Reply With Quote Likes