Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Has anyone done any stampscapes?

I'm still fairly new to stamping and in wanting to learn all the various techniques I signed up for a stampscape class.
I was real happy to see they use a lot of SU inks as that is what I am familar with but they lost me on the different blacks and how they work along with the ranger inks. I didn't realize there were so many different types of black ink! I have some ranger inks I use for my embossing but I really don't like the bold color of them all over the card.
I never got a real answer about what stamps are preferable either as we used a variety of them, i.e. SU, stampscape, etc.
Of course I loved the cards we made that night and I want to try doing some on my own. I even bought a pack of SU's gloss white as they were insistant you use that to print on.
Does anyone know if you have to use rubber stamps or if you can use clear ones? Which inks do you prefer? Which black gives the best effect? etc. Any ideas will be more than welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might find it helpful to look at cards in the gallery using Stampscape images. Here is a link to a gallery search: stampscapes - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

Also, you might look on YouTube for videos! I know I love watching the videos done by Art Impressions because of her technique. Similar to Stampscape, you create scenes using smaller images.

Here's a search on YouTube for you:
YouTube - art impressions

And you might ask Kittie747 ... she loves to create scenes using small images.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
I'm still fairly new to stamping and in wanting to learn all the various techniques I signed up for a stampscape class.
I was real happy to see they use a lot of SU inks as that is what I am familar with but they lost me on the different blacks and how they work along with the ranger inks. I didn't realize there were so many different types of black ink! I have some ranger inks I use for my embossing but I really don't like the bold color of them all over the card.
I never got a real answer about what stamps are preferable either as we used a variety of them, i.e. SU, stampscape, etc.
Of course I loved the cards we made that night and I want to try doing some on my own. I even bought a pack of SU's gloss white as they were insistant you use that to print on.
Does anyone know if you have to use rubber stamps or if you can use clear ones? Which inks do you prefer? Which black gives the best effect? etc. Any ideas will be more than welcome.
Tammy, I'm a little unclear on what you are actually asking. Are you referring to taking Stampscapes classes? I have never used any of the Stampscape images or tried any of their classes. http://www.stampscapes.com/lessonset.htm

The most important thing to remember about choosing black ink is that it must be able to work with the type of coloring you are using.

Watercolor or sponging with water based ink requires a waterproof black ink such a Stazon or pigment ink.
Copic coloring requires an ink that will work with alcohol inks.

It has been my experience that Stazon does not work well with clear stamps and could present a problem in trying to get a good, crisp image. on your paper. You would be better off either using a pigment ink or working with rubber stamps.

I'm sure I have probably added to your confusion rather than helping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for your help and all of the links.
I never thought of looking in the gallery, not sure why as I check it often. I haven't even gone through half of the cards yet but they sure are nice and I've learned you can use clear stamps. I guess the different black inks have different effects by looking at the cards.
Now I'm going to watch the videos, those help me a lot.
Again, thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

I found some information here: Intro to Ink that might help you.
What method of coloring you use absolutely depends on your ink - that's why the different types of black. Copic coloring is VERY popular and you can only use a very specific type of ink as the base stamp. For other coloring methods there is a bit more flexibility.
As for staining on the clear stamps, it happens sometimes with pigment ink and some metallics, IME. But it hasn't seemed to affect them for future stamping. Now I just make sure that I clean my stamps when I am finished (I keep a box of baby wipes at my desk and at least wipe them down right away. I found the hint here and it has seemed to help.) I take a toothbrush and a drop of dishsoap to scrub them thoroughly when I am done for the day. Blot them dry and then place them where they can finish air drying completely. I've been doing this for 8 years now and it hasn't hurt any of my stamps.
There are SO many kinds of stamps available - you don't want to limit yourself to just one kind. I did at first with wood-mounted blocks and rubber, but I have recently found some excellent clear stamps that work well. The main thing is, give yourself a chance to learn what you are working with, do it well, then try something new. I gave up on rubber stamping for the most part, but found out I wasn't doing it the best way. Practice, and some good videos on You Tube changed my perspective permanently! SCS has excellent tutorials. Everyone has their own favorite inks, techniques and products - and ALL of them are wonderful. I'm trying the ones that interest me the most bit by bit. Have FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for the advice about clear stamps. When looking in the gallery I thought they were safe to use. I have a lot of SU stamps so I will stick to using just them.
They told me to buy Mento black that night so I did. I just don't understand the difference between that one and my basic black as they are both water based, I understand what you are saying though.
The stampscape class I went to was put on by a SU dealer, probably why we used so many SU supplys.
Do you have any ideas what white would be best? I only have the Whisper White craft ink and I was wondering if there is another one I should be using.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
Thank you for the advice about clear stamps. When looking in the gallery I thought they were safe to use. I have a lot of SU stamps so I will stick to using just them.
They told me to buy Mento black that night so I did. I just don't understand the difference between that one and my basic black as they are both water based, I understand what you are saying though.
The stampscape class I went to was put on by a SU dealer, probably why we used so many SU supplys.
Do you have any ideas what white would be best? I only have the Whisper White craft ink and I was wondering if there is another one I should be using.
Thank you.
If you go to the link I sent you earlier, it will describe the different types of ink and what they are used for. The Memento inks work best with Copic colors, at least that is what I have read. I'm not sure if SU sells Copics or not. I have never used SU (only because I didn't live near anyone that sold it until I moved to San Antonio). I did go in on a DP purchase through Paper Craft Planet and got a 6 in square of all of the SU DP this summer. I don't know about SU inks. The web site I sent describes different TYPES of ink, not the manufacturers. Craft ink is listed too. Reading the information on her site cleared up several questions of mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a quick note as I've just started using Stampscapes too. The store I deal with has a Stampscape artist who teaches the classes and the owner has shown me different techniques. I just love the stippling and brayer techniques. There are videos on the Stampscapes.com web-site that are listed under the artist's name in the gallery section. I stumbled onto some of them by accident!
I use any stamps for mine. They clean up pretty good for the most part. Stampscape rubber images are fairly inexpensive if you get them unmounted.
The inks that are used for doing the backgrounds on SU glossy paper are Ranger Dye inks. The background can be as light or dark as you'd like, depending on how many layers of the ink you put on. If you go to rangerinks.com you will see the lists of different colours available and they list the coordinating colours for each.
The ink that I've always been shown to use for alcohol inks and dye inks is the Archival black. This will sometimes stain your stamps a bit but the results you get on glossy paper are much nicer and don't smudge. It's all about the image!!
Good luck and don't forget to share your results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Tammy,

I have taken a couple of classes at my local stamp store that sells stampscape stamps ni love the classes. For time constraints we used the stazon for the images and colored with tom bow's as the glossy paper takes a long time for dye based inks to dry on the glossy cardnstock.

I get my glossy card stock from Kelly paper, I use stazon for my black images and adirondack, memento and CTMH dye ink for coloring in the images. Ive tried my copies on the glossy paper, they barely get the ink on the page.

Hope this info helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

[QUOTE=kittie747;17457900
It has been my experience that Stazon does not work well with clear stamps and could present a problem in trying to get a good, crisp image. on your paper. .[/QUOTE]

I use and sell Close To My Heart, which is a clear stamp and they work just fine with Stazon. In fact we sell Stazon in our catalog. I'm not really sure why you would have had trouble getting a nice crisp image, but I know it does work with clear stamps. But there are good clear stamps and no so good, perhaps they weren't a high quality clear stamp...? IDK, but I've never had an issue and 90% of my stamps are clear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I got real courageous and did an 8 x 11" picture for DH for Christmas. It took me a week to do but I was real happy with the way it came out. Unfortunatly I did not have time to scan it before it had to go in the frame, now he won't let me touch it. I have played around making cards but I need to learn how to upload them now. My oldest's birthday is coming up and I'd like to do a nice scenescape for him.
I found that I am using a lot of different stamps and inks. I found Alextamping and Coranado who have great stamps. What I like about the Alextamping stamps is that you get a set; you get the stamp facing in both the right and left direction so you are not held in one direction, plus you can get them mounted or unmounted. I just love her cubes!
I've watched tons of the web videos. The best link I've found so far is Sandy's link, Intro to Ink. I printed everything off and refer to it constantly. It has tons of info in the different links that I've found to be real helpful.
My instructor gave me another hint to help, it might be something others might like to do if you use multiple varietys of ink. She took a peice of 8 1/2 x 11" CS and put a good wide thick ink streak with the name. This way we look at the sheets and can tell which colors we want to use. I've started one for myself.
Warm Illumination and Sheree you are so lucky to have a store near you! There's only one in Maine and it's 2 hours from me so take advantage of it as much as you can. Tuesday will be the first class offered here since the second week in December. Needless to say I'm getting anxious.
I check the thread often and appreciate any ideas offered. I'll post anything I find. Hopefully this will help the other girls new to stampscapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I got my color chart done this afternoon while watching the game, I just know this will help me in choosing my colors.
I played around with the ranger inks I have here but I don't like the results. I threw everything away. You can't layer the colors like you can with the Memento, Memories, Adirondak, & Stampin' Up. I like to layer the colors to get the results I want, they have more depth to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well Tammy... I just spent some time checking out the Alextamping website and... they have some really neat stamps! I see that they are quite a bit more expensive than stampscapes but am drawn to the stamps of skies. They have some fabulous cloud patterns that would look fabulous inked in!
I have a great stamp store that I buy from. It is almost two hours away but I work there one day per week so when I finish early I get to pop in and check out what is new! The great thing is I can make up my wish list for stampscapes and Victoria orders once a month so everything is put together for me when I get there!
I have only tried a couple of the Memento ink colours and find they are just as good as Adirondack. It can be harder to find a wide variety of colours though. One great thing about Adirondack is that if you peel the lable off the back of the pad you will find the ink pads listed in colour groups! This comes in handy when you blend colours for scenes such as water... Aqua-Pool-Stream or the others include Stonewashed & Denim and cant remember the light for the life of me. I am now finding that tapping in black that the colour spectrum widens even further for shading. If you let them dry in between layers then the colours will deepen with each one. Wish you would have thrown the Adirondacks my way!! Oh, you never mentioned if they were the alcohol inks or the ink pads
There are different types of glossy paper that can make a difference in how the inks apply or show. If you use a foam stylus then any will do from photo to Stampin Up! or the 12 X 12 sheets you can buy at your favourite store. Using a brayer is a different ball game. I have a hard time on any except for photo paper.. go figure. The Staples brand has worked best so far but Im still a newbie and experimenting!
Practice putting scenes together on plain cheap paper first... I do six at a time on paper so you can try something slightly different with each one until you get it right.
As I figure things out I will post them here and hope you do the same!;)

Last edited by Sheree Taylor; 02-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Boy are you lucky Sheree!! I wish so much that I had a store near me. Oh well, that's why I order so much on line.
I actually get my ink pads through Joann's when they have a sale (like now) and they deliver to me. Plus they have all the colors in stock. I can get a pad for like $2.39 which is cheap.
I find I don't like using the brayer to color in large areas as I like to be able to control the color. I don't use sponge's much either, I really like using my colorboxtool stylus and all I have to do to clean them is rinse in water.
I don't really find Alextamping more expensive, especially when you think about it. But maybe we are looking at different things there. When you order the stamp you are actually getting two of them, not one. One will face right and one will face left. With Stampscapes you only have the one stamp so you can't change the direction. Best of all is that Karen really takes care of you and follows up on the order, she even emails me to tell me it's at the postoffice! LOL.
I'll be playing around this weekend, maybe I can get them loaded after. I can't wait to see yours.
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes