Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitter Glitter Everywhere!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can someone PLEASE tell me how to add glitter to a card without making a mess? LOL I wish I knew how to make it stick to where I just want it to stick. I've even seen folks use the glitter on a stamped word and you can actually read the word. How????? Please help!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee glitter but want it to go where I want it. Thanks!
Rain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissRainView Post
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can someone PLEASE tell me how to add glitter to a card without making a mess? LOL I wish I knew how to make it stick to where I just want it to stick. I've even seen folks use the glitter on a stamped word and you can actually read the word. How????? Please help!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee glitter but want it to go where I want it. Thanks!
Rain
You can use a special glue pad to help the glitter stick, you use the glue like you would ink, then cover the image in glitter and LET it dry before you shake off the glue (I always push the glitter a bit into the glue)

Try using tape as well, use a hole punch to make cut outs in your cardstock, cover one side with packing tape, turn the card over and sprinkle glitter on it, press the glitter into the tape.

There are lots of other ways too, look in the resources section of this site.

You can also stamp an image and then highlight areas with a glue pen and then sprinkle glitter on that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thanks. I've seen those glue pads in the store but for some reason I thought it would mess up my stamps so I never tried it. I couldn't figure out how to get the glue off the stamp when I was done. I"ll check in the store next time I am out and see if one of the ladies can help me. Thanks again!

Rain

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
You can use a special glue pad to help the glitter stick, you use the glue like you would ink, then cover the image in glitter and LET it dry before you shake off the glue (I always push the glitter a bit into the glue)

Try using tape as well, use a hole punch to make cut outs in your cardstock, cover one side with packing tape, turn the card over and sprinkle glitter on it, press the glitter into the tape.

There are lots of other ways too, look in the resources section of this site.

You can also stamp an image and then highlight areas with a glue pen and then sprinkle glitter on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

You can also use heat and stick powder. You stamp your image with versamark or craft ink. Sprinkle on the heat and stick. Heat it just until melted. Apply the glitter then heat again briefly to set the glitter into the adhesive.
For adding random glitter, I use the 2 way glue pen.
I also keep my glitter in those disposable square containers (like Gladware). I have a little scoop inside. The container is big enough that I can hold my cardstock over it so the excess just goes right back into the container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I use the embossing buddy. I rub it on the paper before I stamp and it controls the glitter a little better. I love glitter to, but sometimes it does end up everywhere else but the paper LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a a used dryer sheet. I wipe down the entire project add the adhesive and glitter. As for cleaning the glue off your stamps. I use the SU stampin mist and stampin' scrub. Never have a problem.

HTH
Suzi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyemmertView Post
You can also use heat and stick powder. You stamp your image with versamark or craft ink. Sprinkle on the heat and stick. Heat it just until melted. Apply the glitter then heat again briefly to set the glitter into the adhesive.
For adding random glitter, I use the 2 way glue pen.
I also keep my glitter in those disposable square containers (like Gladware). I have a little scoop inside. The container is big enough that I can hold my cardstock over it so the excess just goes right back into the container.
I second all of these ideas, as well as the suggestion on the embossing buddy. I use glitter a lot and love the look...but I had to accept the fact that glitter will get loose and end up on me, my table, the floor, the cat, the kids... I keep my glitters in gladware as well...the size is great and especially for my Dazzling Diamonds it helps keep it somewhat under control. Being a superfine glitter, it really catches the air easily and ends up everywhere, but at least I haven't had a spill thankfully.
Oohh...I have more glitters on the way hopefully arriving this week from 2Peas. Can't wait! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Ahhhh thank you for all the great ideas. After I finish a few things around here I am going to pull out my embossing buddy and try that out!

Rain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissRainView Post
Rain
Sticky strip works great. That red tape on a roll..take a peek at my gallery under Our Flag '09.
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Thank you....I'll have to get some of that. I want to be a self proclaimed glitpert (glitter expert) !

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstamperView Post
Sticky strip works great. That red tape on a roll..take a peek at my gallery under Our Flag '09.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen and Zig 2-Way Glue Pen. They both work for this technique. Trace around or fill in the word or image with one of the glue pens. Wait until the glue dries. It will change from blue to clear and be tacky. Then dip your finger into your glitter and rub the glitter on the glue in a small circular motion. You will have very little excess glitter that you can just tap over a wastepaper basket, and you can run your "glitter finger" under tap water to wash it off. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Ahhhh, thank you! I have the weekend off and I have time to play with all the tips and experiments you all shared with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I use the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen and Zig 2-Way Glue Pen. They both work for this technique. Trace around or fill in the word or image with one of the glue pens. Wait until the glue dries. It will change from blue to clear and be tacky. Then dip your finger into your glitter and rub the glitter on the glue in a small circular motion. You will have very little excess glitter that you can just tap over a wastepaper basket, and you can run your "glitter finger" under tap water to wash it off. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #13  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
This is the best method I've ever tried (I'm so glad scrapjanny is my BFF! I learn all sorts of coold things from her!_
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I went to a stamp show and the lady who sold glitter said to ALWAYS work on parchment paper as glitter does not stick to it. I also use a lint roller (the kind for clothes) to clean up as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I have just discovered JAC paper! It's adhesive, double sided paper, that can be cut, punched, die-cut and then stuck to your card then glittered!

LOVE IT!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can not answer your question. But maybe you can imagine how hard I laughed when one sunday in church I looked over and my husband had glitter on his cheek!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

LOL I bet! I would have fell out laughing too! Folks that know me dont even respond or ask now when they see I have glitter on.
Signed,
Confessions of a Glitter Girl

ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindybstampinView Post
I can not answer your question. But maybe you can imagine how hard I laughed when one sunday in church I looked over and my husband had glitter on his cheek!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #18  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,057 Likes on 815 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadebuddahView Post
I went to a stamp show and the lady who sold glitter said to ALWAYS work on parchment paper as glitter does not stick to it. I also use a lint roller (the kind for clothes) to clean up as well.
I use parchment paper for both glitter and embossing powder. Works pretty well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Glitter Glitter everywhere- even in my hair!

Yes I had glitter everywhere until I read in an old issue of Vamp Stamp news that rubbing Drafting Pounce Powder (at drafting supply store) all over the paper and glitter won't stick where you don't want it. Someone else in VSN said to try using a Swiffer dust glove. Viva Las Vegas Stamp company has miracle sheets & tape which can be heated, glittered, beedzed and after decorating can be punched out-Like a sheet of Wonder tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

I like the look of glitter, but hate the mess, so I use Iridescent Ice EP instead. These tips are all good - I may have to try my Dazzling Diamonds again!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

I love glitter,too, but I have put most of it away because of the mess it would make all over me. I would meet my DH and just about the first words out of his mouth would be "You have been stamping!" It seemed like I could never get rid of all the lingering glitteries. TFS all the wonderful ideas, maybe my glitters and embossing powders will come back out of the drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I've tried every glue, every glitter, still makes a mess and I still insist on adding it (gotta have bling) lol I have finally started putting a layer of acetate over the front of the glittered cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Stickles by the company Ranger are thin-tipped glitter glues. the glitter is suspended in a clear glue, so it stays on the paper (and not you or DH LOL). there are tons of colors, and they are less than $3 a bottle
hope that helps
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use coffee filters to contain my glitter, I found the trays you use to funnel glitter back into the containers were hard to use. Some glitter or EP always stuck in there. Soooo...now I use coffee filters. I pour the glitter on the image over the card and then shake off the excess over it too. Put the jar in another and funnel it back into the container. When I'm done I just throw them away, no mess!!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Phewww thank you for all the great tips. Thus far I have tried the parchment paper. Works great ! I bought and used a glue stamp pad. LOVE IT! Glitter went right where it was supposed to and stayed!! And I bought a glue pen and it works fantastically for those smaller more detailed areas. And lastly, Hobby Lobby has the Stickles in a 3 pack for 5 something and you can use your 40% off coupon on it. Yahoooooooooooooooo YES!

Rain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I too do not like to use glitter but love the look of it just a big mess. I have went to glitter glue bottles and are loving them think I got about every color there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I also love using glitter and have learned to live with all the bits that fly about and end up on floor, dog, husband in the fridge etc!. I use a glue pen lots and love the fact that I can glitter in tiny details. However the funniest thing that happened is that hubbie (who works away in Paris all week) found glitter in his flat and I have never been there!!!!!

Love the tip about the parchment paper, I will try that. I have also used the little trays that are sold for micro beads and glitter but the glitter just sticks to the bottom of the tray too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

LOL, well when he found the glitter I'm sure it reminded him of you!

Yes, I've used that little tray too but the glitter sticks there. However, at the time, it was better than what I was doing trying to use newspaper and papertowels. Don't even ask, it didnt work. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by French ChablisView Post
I also love using glitter and have learned to live with all the bits that fly about and end up on floor, dog, husband in the fridge etc!. I use a glue pen lots and love the fact that I can glitter in tiny details. However the funniest thing that happened is that hubbie (who works away in Paris all week) found glitter in his flat and I have never been there!!!!!

Love the tip about the parchment paper, I will try that. I have also used the little trays that are sold for micro beads and glitter but the glitter just sticks to the bottom of the tray too.
Reply With Quote Likes