Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gamsol magic

I have seen so many cards using the gamsol technique and would like to try it, but before I buy the supplies I was wondering if you can use SU whisper white paper for this, or does it ruin the paper finish like it does when you use watercolors on it.

Thanks,
sheltiemom
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use the whisper white all the time. Love it for both prismacolor pencils with OMS or gamsol and Copic markers too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #3  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also use SU whisper white all of the time with my gamsol magic ...if you can really call it magic!!! I've people in the US use Georgia Pacific with similiar success - which apparently is available in US Walmart's.

It REALLY does make a huge difference what paper you use, as SU WW has a bit of a coating that allows the pigment from the pencils to blend and * slide * a little on the paper. The other important factor is having decent stumps - the made in Taiwan or Creative Mark are so much better than the harder stumps - made in Japan.

The made in Taiwan stumps can be found via Whipper Snapper stamps - and the Creative Mark I have obtained through a volume purchase made by another SCSer who ocassionaly has stump shares .

Don't give up to easily - it took me a bit to get onto it, but now it's my favorite method of colouring ( of course, I can't afford Copics - so I don't know about them! )

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #4  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh - make sure you stamp with stazon ink - ( maybe others will work ) stazon ink doesn't bleed like so many others when you use the gamsol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the information. I just sharpened the 120 Prismacolor pencils which I bought a few years ago. I want try this technique which is very popular now at my LSS. I just got some Copics which I also want to try with these pencils.

Tina R
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you sooo much for all of the advice!!!!! I can't afford copics either so I hope I can learn how to do this. Now I guess I will have to go ahead and break down and buy the supplies to give it a try. I like my watercolor crayons and watercolor pencils but only seem to be able to use them on watercolor paper, but sometimes I would like to be able to stamp and color images on white, that is why I was hoping the gamsol magic worked on white cardstock.

Thanks again!!!!
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheltiemomView Post
Thank you sooo much for all of the advice!!!!! I can't afford copics either so I hope I can learn how to do this. Now I guess I will have to go ahead and break down and buy the supplies to give it a try. I like my watercolor crayons and watercolor pencils but only seem to be able to use them on watercolor paper, but sometimes I would like to be able to stamp and color images on white, that is why I was hoping the gamsol magic worked on white cardstock.

Thanks again!!!!
Mary
I use XpedX Brilliant White cardstock and it works wonderfully for this technique. I've done the gamsol technique on an offwhite cardstock that has small flecks in it and I didn't really care for the outcome.....not that it was terrible....I just didn't care for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
Oh - make sure you stamp with stazon ink - ( maybe others will work ) stazon ink doesn't bleed like so many others when you use the gamsol...
I found that even StazOn thends to smear a bit. But U did find a wonderful ink that does not smear at all! It is RANGER Nick Bantock ink. I tried it and went right over the stamped image and NO smearing!!! This is no my #1 ink to use when doing this technique. Brilliance ink also works.

Here is the Ranger website for the inkpads I like to use

http://www.rangerink.com/products/pr...ickbantock.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I just started this last week so I'm no pro at this technique but I can say I use TBrilliance Graphite Black and then heat set it...it does not smear at all. I read it somewhere, not my idea...but thought I would share.

Last edited by Crafty Chelle; 02-15-2008 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes