Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deep stamp cleaning?

Hi All,

I wonder if there is any way to "deep" clean a clear stamp? I usually use just water to clean my stamps. I don't care about inks staining my stamps. They still work perfectly. I only use Stazon cleaner when I use Stazon inks.
But! When I use the same stamps with different inks and constantly switching between colors (i.e. when stamp background) it seems that inks still stay on a stamp no matter how thoroughly I cleaned it. So if I stamp with light ink after dark ink - I don't get the light ink color, I get a mix of the light color and some "diluted" dark color.
If I put a stamp away for some time after using a dark ink and then use it for light ink - then it doesn't create any problems.

I can assume that as polymer stamps are porous so some dye is left in their "pores" and while it's still "fresh" when another ink is applied the solvent from the ink "goes" to pores and get dye left in pores. I hope I explained it good and this doesn't sound too stupid lol.

So if there any way to really clean stamps? I read here on SCS about some Simple Green recipe. Went ahead and purchased SG. Didn't help. In fact I didn't noticed any difference between cleaning with SG or just water. Both clean the same, both don't remove stains from a stamp...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've never experienced this but maybe you could try "stamping" the clean stamp onto scratch paper a few times (no ink) before you stamp with the second ink colour. I do that with polymer stamps after cleaning if I've done a partial inking to split a sentiment or something and then want to use the other part of the stamp - it just makes sure I really have got all the stray bits and pieces of ink but maybe it would help with your problem, too.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I usually stamp mine off and then give them a wipe with a baby-wipe, but when I need to do a real deep-cleaning job I use Ultra-Clean from Stewart Superior, suitable for both clear and rubber stamps. I hate the smell and oily feel it has, but it's great for cleaning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Sabrina (Cook22). If Ultra-Clean can't do it I don't think anything will.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Svitlana, do you use Stazon ink on your clear stamps? The solvent in the ink will damage the stamps over time.

You might also find some useful info here:
Removing StazOn ink fron acrylic (clear) stamps ... - Scrapbooking Kits, Paper & Supplies, Ideas & More at StudioCalico.com!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Are you using a stamp washer? It needs to be cleaned, too. If it's not clean, you get residual color (usually a dark brownish gray) even if you've washed your stamp thoroughly. Like someone else said, I always keep a piece of scrap paper handy and after I wash a stamp, I keep stamping off until I can't see even a trace of the image on the scrap paper.
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

If the rubber has ink residue, over time it can collect stray glitter,dust etc. I use Murphy's Oil Soap and an old toothbrush to scrub the rubber.Rinse under running water and lay on a towel to dry. I've been doing this for many years. Kiss Off which is a stain stick works well on some stains. Nothing will get it back to what it looked like when it was new but I used to coat a new rubber stamp with ArmorAll (auto dept) and that helped the rubber from staining too badly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used both Simple Green and Judikins regular cleaner on clear with no ill effects but I always my rinse stamps after using cleaner on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've taken an old soft toothbrush and some dish soap to my clear stamps to give them a good cleaning when ink gets into the little crevices and doesn't come out with my regular cleaning with a baby wipe. Works fine and doesn't hurt the stamp (as long as your not too rough with it). I always let my clear stamps air dry after cleaning them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Another solution, I think I read on here somewhere, is stamping your stamp in Versamark, then stamping off onto scrap. I'm pretty sure you could use a cheap clear embossing ink pad to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting topic of discussion.

Recently, I have been using Ranger Archival Inks more. Many times my stamp will sit with the ink residual still on it. I've started using Inkessentials Solvent Stamp Cleaner with the dauber top by Ranger. Although my stamps are stained the ink comes off every time. I have been wiping them right after use with a baby wipe, then stamping off again before cleaning and that helps, especially if I can't "clean" them right away. I also use a soft children's toothbrush. After doing the above, I put a tiny dot of Dawn dish soap in my hand and swipe the toothbrush across it, and then give the stamp one more cleaning before rinsing well.

I have heard that Stazon cleaner can in time damage your photopolymer stamps. I don't know that to be true, but, I've never taken the chance.

Susie ~
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I just took a class from Tim Holtz, he does not clean stamps. He first uses Archival ink on clear stamps they print off much more clearly, wipes with plain water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have thought that Ranger Solvent cleaner and Staz-on cleaner are pretty much exactly the same thing, as Staz-on cleaner is also solvent based. I don't know whether it does damage stamps, but I know the cleaner does damage acrylic blocks over time. I do have clear stamps that I've used Staz-on cleaner on over the years, and the good quality photopolymer ones don't seem any the worse for it. I must admit, having seen Tim Holtz rarely do much stamp cleaning in his videos, I've got less bothered about it .
The only time I do give them a good scrub now is if I've used a pigment ink- that really seems to clog stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I had read a little while back that hand sanitizer works great to clean stamps and the acrylic blocks. So I tried it and it works great! I just rub the sanitizer all over the stamp with my finger then brush it on a stamp cleaner/washer. I am sure a toothbrush would work great too. Then I always stamp them on a dry paper towel or rag to dry them off. The hand sanitizer works great to get the ink off your hands too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanadonnaCView Post
I had read a little while back that hand sanitizer works great to clean stamps and the acrylic blocks...
The reason hand sanitizer works great for all those things is that it's alcohol-based. If you're concerned about damage to your clear stamps and acrylic blocks from the likes of Stazon cleaner (and I agree with Shaz that Ranger Solvent cleaner is likely to be basically the same stuff), I'd say steer clear of hand sanitizer, too.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I wash mine with Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and a soft-bristle nail brush (or sometimes diluted Simple Green sprayed on my Ranger scrubber when I'm stamping with both clear and rubber). Done this for YEARS now, and my clear stamps are just fine. I also have some Mona Lisa pink soap for really stubborn gunk (I use that mostly for cleaning my brushes).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've also had this problem. And I agree, when the stamp dries first, this doesn't happen. I use a faux chamois to clean my stamps and I wipe it once, apply the light ink, test stamp and then if it looks yucky, I clean again and restamp. Never had to wash more than that. I think it's mainly dirty water left on the surface. I'll admit, I let my cloth get too dirty before washing it.

I'm pretty sure their aren't pores in the surface as these would make a difference in how they stamp.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, a toothbrush and a bit of dishsoap will clean stencils really well. Even if the paste has dried on.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I've never experienced this but maybe you could try "stamping" the clean stamp onto scratch paper a few times (no ink) before you stamp with the second ink colour. I do that with polymer stamps after cleaning if I've done a partial inking to split a sentiment or something and then want to use the other part of the stamp - it just makes sure I really have got all the stray bits and pieces of ink but maybe it would help with your problem, too.
I do stamp on scratch paper. And with no ink stamp seems to be clear. But when I apply the lighter ink - it kind of "activates" what is left from the previous one.
It doesn't happen though if I let the stamp to sit a bit and apparently whatever is left dries out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I usually stamp mine off and then give them a wipe with a baby-wipe, but when I need to do a real deep-cleaning job I use Ultra-Clean from Stewart Superior, suitable for both clear and rubber stamps. I hate the smell and oily feel it has, but it's great for cleaning!
Does that Ultra-Clean from Stewart Superior help in this situation? A friend of mine has a couple of cleaners (StazOn all-purpose and Ultra Clean from Hero Arts). I asked her to do some tests for me. She used Hero Arts dye inks. So with cleaners stamps were cleaner then when cleaned just with water, BUT - still had some residue left. I would buy a cleaner if knew this will clean deep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I have to admit I am fussy about my stamps so I always want to clean them back to new if possible. Over time they stain and that's ok but I fight the tide as long as I can. So far it's working pretty well.

I stamp off immedately after use and then clean with a cotton rag (DH's old tshirts I cut up or old socks..which are then washable if I want to). I use a very diluted simple green but will fall back to the pros...judikins, stazon, clear stamp cleaner, if I need to.

I see a lot of people are stamping off after you clean...you dont do it before or is that just assumed?

Very detailed stamps go to the scrubby but then I know the wood will be stained b/c it sprays when you do that no matter how little cleaner I put on. And sure-the scrubby has to be cleaned too but ends up being stained.

I was taught in 101 class to have a tray with wet paper towels so if you are not cleaning them asap they sit there and it keeps them wet and easier to clean though that was more for wood, but could be acrylic if you are done with the block. I dont do it now unless there is a bunch of us at the table.

I personally would not go by what mfgs do...they have unlimited access to new and clean product whenever they want it...just like I see TV chefs abuse their pans...

I think an added benefit to using dish soap is that if they are not sticking well to the block that helps fix that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alene13View Post
I just took a class from Tim Holtz, he does not clean stamps. He first uses Archival ink on clear stamps they print off much more clearly, wipes with plain water.
I think it's wonderful that a professional like Tim Holtz "uses" the stamps and doesn't worry about babying them. I have always tended to be very casual about cleaning stamps, and seldom if ever have cleaned any of mine. I usually just stamp off on scrap paper and wipe them with a damp paper towel.

I've done this since I started stamping, and all my stamps stamp very well.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Svitlana, do you use Stazon ink on your clear stamps? The solvent in the ink will damage the stamps over time.

You might also find some useful info here:
Removing StazOn ink fron acrylic (clear) stamps ... - Scrapbooking Kits, Paper & Supplies, Ideas & More at StudioCalico.com!
Candida, I use Stazon ONLY when I need to stamp on a sleek surface (and this happen very rare, like once a year). And use Stazon cleaner only to remove Stazon inks. I know that this could damage stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Thank you everyone for all you answers and advice.
Stamp staining doesn't bother me at all. I always stamp off and then clean with water. Cleaning just with water always worked for me. The only issue I have when want to use the same stamp immediately after using it with darker ink.
I took both Tim's classes and after hearing him not cleaning stamps with anything but water (or just stamping off) became even more ensure my "method" is good enough.
I'll try some advice given above and return to notify about results.
Thank you one more time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

I use rubbing alcohol. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by frijheidView Post
I use rubbing alcohol. Works great.
As discussed earlier in the thread this is not a good idea on clear stamps. It's fine on rubber but photopolymer/clear stamps are different and Stazon/Stazon cleaner/any product with an alcohol base is best avoided.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am firmly in the camp of "cleaning stamps" ...I don't have enough time to craft as it is

I stamp off on scratch/scrap paper and that's it, a stained stamp is a sign of love in my books lol!

If I have one that is a bit gunged up I will give it a clean with some water and washing up liquid, dry well, and leave it to air....but I can assure you this happens very very rarely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I am totally new to stamping i have rubber stamps on wood not that many but a few lots of acrylic ones and some that are rubber but with the EZ mount that also work on acrylic blocks so is there any difference to how you clean stamps made of different materials or is it the type of ink i will mostly be using pigment ink because i want to have a go at heat embossing but also have versamark the clear one and also a dye ink in black for the copic (or similar to copic) markers so does it depend on the type of stamp or the type of ink or both cos i was looking at stamp cleaner wondering if it was really necessary or if water would do?

I am actually bedridden so the tip about having a tray with wet paper towels if i am not able to clean the stamps straight away is fabulous idea!! i will be able to fit that on my lap somehow!

I know it seems crazy but I SO want to try heat embossing and have had lots of tips about how to do it safely while sitting up in bed. I still havent been able to use any because i want to try it when my husband is able to sit with me and help me at least the first time so i get an idea of how hard it is. he is going to make me a wooden tray but we do have one for the time being.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
I am totally new to stamping i have rubber stamps on wood not that many but a few lots of acrylic ones and some that are rubber but with the EZ mount that also work on acrylic blocks...
Hello, welcome to stamping and to Splitcoast!

For the stamps you have, the ink you'll be using and for convenience using a lap tray in bed, I think your best bet might be to get a pack of alcohol-free baby wipes. They're safe on both rubber and clear stamps and will shift just about anything except stubborn Stazon (which you're not planning to use by the sound of it). Plain water will work on most things but it's more effective if you use a little bit of mild soap too and I suspect the baby wipes are a more convenient way of getting that extra cleaning power without needing to get to a sink.

You may find your black dye ink stains over time, especially your clear stamps, but it won't affect the stamping performance, it's just cosmetic. Some people even prefer their clear stamps a bit stained as it's easier to see exactly what's what through the block.

If you're going to try heat embossing, do make sure you have a safe surface to put the tool down on once you're done running it. The end can get VERY hot and putting it down onto bed clothes could be dangerous (I managed to catch the air hose on my compressor with the end of a heat tool I'd just used and melted straight through it a while back so I know it's easily done). Having someone sit with you the first time at least sounds like a good idea so you can think through the process together and make sure you come up with a safe routine you can stick to.

Have fun exploring your new hobby!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Emck! Card making is so much fun and the people here are SO wonderful! I have never seen a Q that stumped them and you wont find bigger hearts. I am a beginner too so my comments tend to be directed to other beginners not the old timers.

I am wondering what surface you are working on? If you dont have one, those rolling half table arms like they use in a hospital can be gotten for the home but you need to have the right kind of bed for it-there needs to be clearance underneath for the base to go. They shake a bit but are not bad and give you some room. Some are heavier and more stable than others. Some have additional small extension shelves that pull out.

A second table near the bed also sounds like a plan to me. That way you can put the heat tool down there and not anywhere around/over your body/bed in case it slips and rolls. How the wire goes/weight is important...it could drag the tool as they are not that heavy. That has happened to me on my worktable, esp if I used an extension cord. If I wrap the cord or otherwise find a way to keep it in place with enough play to use, it is a big help. More than once I have put the tool down and it just went sliding across the table because the wire weight was dragging it. Grabbing for a hot tool is not fun. (definitely never use one of those extension cords that are curled and spring back) I am thinking there are those metal thin IV poles. If there was a way to lower it...

Past that, you will love embossing. Plus the tool is good for other things...drying watercoloring, etc. I'd personally suggest starting with metallics as they really pop. Just know that black EP is a chronic problem for people. For some reason I have never been able to find out, it just constantly refuses to fully clear the surface no matter how much you poof the card with a Buddy, so you end up with speckles after you heat. A great "get around" for it is to use a black pigment ink, clear ultra fine EP. Looks the same. No speckles.

Look forward to seeing more of you here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay confession time, sometimes I'm too lazy to go into the other room to clean off my stamp(s).

Occasionally I hold a stamp over the trash can and spritz it with a small bottle of cleaner I keep at my desk, wipe with a rag and then spritz again (also over the trash can) with plain water to rinse it off. Dry with another rag and then I can put it away immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is such an interesting subject. When I was first introduced to stamping by the teacher at the local scrap book store where I worked, I noticed she never, ever cleaned her stamps. I mean NEVER and they looked like it too ! I don't know what her secet was, but I can say I was quite hesitant to use her stamps on my pristine white paper during class time!! With fear and trepidation and almost with eyes closed, I stamped those stamps into the ink pad and then onto my paper...Amazing the color was true to what I'd used! Her stamps were so inked up they were almost black, I had to try it again just to be sure I wasn't seeing things!

In my earlier days I used Colorbox Chalk ink and no matter what I tried my stamps never came clean..and if I used Versamark on one of them, the ink color transferred, even with all that cleaning! I've tried Dawn, Simple Green, Ultra Clean and Versamark...nothing has removed the ink stain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Great tips! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow thanks for all your comments you will be happy to know that apart from a bit of spillage on the blanket over me I have had no trouble at all! it was a LOT less daunting than i first imagined and they DO change very very quickly indeed.

I do have an overway table (like in hospital the problem is for safety i have to keep the rails up i have an electric bed just like in the hospital unfortunately single so me and my husband sleep seperately next to each other totally sucks! but anyways bit off topic LOL. the thing is that because of the rail the table only goes down so far and if you saw the table with laptop baskets and bits and bobs cos i have to have everything within reach u see that i would need regularly otherwise when no one is here i cant get to things and that means the table is totally covered we do have a spare table however because of space restrictions there is no where for a second table i often think a second table would help a LOT! however my husband and i want to share a room and theres not really anywhere else for him to sleep the spare rooms are full. we do plan renovations eventually.....the gov pays for them but they are very very very slow.

So the major problem is that the overway table is way to high in the end i had to get an external keyboard and im also getting a wireless mouse as well so that i dont have to reach up all the time its really really hard my spasming goes nuts :-) Anyways about the stamping!

I tried it last week on wood with no preparation and it DID work for sure.

I tried one little stamp on paper and it worked too.

Then the past two nights I did heaps well it took a long time. I will have to work out how to post some photos.

I have been repeating the same stamps in the same colours because ive got all these cards and all they need is a sentiment then they are finished!

I also tried out a music one it is unfortunately on wood meaning i cant really see what im doing its also quite big and very heavy but the second time it pretty much worked! i did it with versafine and clear embossing powder (versafine black) cos Im trying to work out what ones need "fine" like super fine powder or fine detailed powder or versafine but this one is basically a manuscript i absolutely love it it will be easy to mount it and stick it on a card front in fact you could even frame it like a picture its quite big and may have to go on a 5 by 7 inch (whatever that is in cm) card. I dont usually make cards that big normally they are only A6 which is about 10 x 15 cm but i think this stamp is bigger than that with a nice mount round it would make a nice present ive got a lot of musical friends :-)

Also i tried both using the tray and pushing the powder back into the container and also just bending the paper and putting it back and i didnt do too badly i just extra paper underneath where i was stamping and embossing.

it did go a bit off like i didnt get it all in the container the videos make it look really easy

But to answer your question the surface im working on although this sounds funny is actually wood my husband made me a surface to put my telephones on (i have a special phone cos of hearing impairment) that way it literally sits on the side table and the papers can go underneath it well to trial it (hes going to make one especially for scrapbooking eventually) we just used that because it absorbs the heat it also has rubber stuff on it like non slip matting but because i dont have an actual stamp pad as such the squishy stamping mat ive been using a mouse pad it seems to work whether the proper one is better im not sure?

So i have the wooden tray towards the left or right dependent on which electricity point im using for the gun also that means its slightly to one side of my body then a heat resistant sheet then the mouse pad for the stamping part then i slip the extra paper/cardboard underneath it tip the powder over the top and then either put the container in the funnel tray or directly underneath it and tip the excess back into the pot it seems to work.

If you want a cheap way to make your own embossing buddy rather than buying it try using a stocking or pantyhose put a couple of tablespoons of cornflour or talcom powder on it and tie a knot double it over do that a few times and cut the end of the stocking off. because i know i have an old pair somewhere but couldnt find it i decided to improvise i got a washcloth like what you clean with and did the same thing with cornflour and my husband tied it in a knot it definitely comes out! and it made a huge difference with getting the powder only where i wanted it to be! i learnt that from u ntube videos.

I have taken the advice of baby wipes and thats what i use they definitely seem to work OK.

if the acrylic blocks get really dirty should they be washed in mild detergent? ive been cleaning them with the baby wipes too?

I thank you all so much for your help! and for the welcome I will come back later on when ive taken some pictures and I will work out how to post photos in the gallery and u can see my embossing.

Just one last question is it often that versamark and embossing powder coloured rather than coloured ink pad and clear powder is brighter? thats what ive found perhaps its just the brand of pigment ink? the versafine is great though but the other ones are i think nellie snellen i just bought what i found at the local online craft shop and thats the brand they had.

Oh wavejumper what is black EP? is that a brand or EP = embossing powder? i have used it before without too much trouble i think. i havent used metallic powder though i do have some zing blue and copper with glitter in it and I love it!

the other powders are mostly ranger and some distress inks as well i found someone selling the whole lot half price on etsy! it was a WIN i can tell you! even with the postage it was no where near what id have paid here.

I havent tried the distress inks i will have to look at a video how to use it.

What does spritz mean?

thanks for all your help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cleaning stamps

I recently took a class from Tim Holtz who never cleans his stamps. In fact he suggests using black Archival ink to season clear stamps. He then uses clear water to rinse
clear stamps and dries with a paper towel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Glad things seem to be working out and your husband sounds like an absolute gem with making things to help with your various tools etc! It sounds like you're learning lots and having fun!

I've picked out the questions in your message...

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
if the acrylic blocks get really dirty should they be washed in mild detergent? ive been cleaning them with the baby wipes too?

Just one last question is it often that versamark and embossing powder coloured rather than coloured ink pad and clear powder is brighter? thats what ive found perhaps its just the brand of pigment ink?

Oh wavejumper what is black EP? is that a brand or EP = embossing powder? i have used it before without too much trouble i think.

What does spritz mean?
Baby wipes are fine on your acrylic blocks and yes, if they get really dirty you can just use a bit of dish soap and something like a soft nail brush or tootbrush if anything's in need of a rub to shift it.

Coloured embossing powder will typically be a bit brighter/more dense looking than using a coloured ink plus clear embossing powder because the pigment is all the way through the powder rather than being a layer under a clear, shiny surface. The coloured ink and clear powder route is a great way to avoid having to buy lots of different powders, though.

Yes, EP = embossing powder, just saves a bit of typing when you're in a community that's likely to share your jargon! So black EP is just black embossing powder.

Spritz is something we'd usually say when we mean to put a liquid (water or an ink solution usually) in a misting bottle and use it to "spritz" a surface by pressing the top of the bottle to give a mist of the liquid.

Hope that helps!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sounds like you are off and running well! Good!!

One thing I have seen a lot around here when a couple needs to use a hospital bed...is to put it in the LR instead of the BR because of space and that way it is also easier for the person to be part of visits by friends. Esp if you want both beds in the same room. His bed-they have covers and bolster pillows so by day it's like a sofa.

Ah, handrails. They are a pain. Unfortunately they dont come in sections so we can open just one to let a table in. It's the whole side.

One trick I see often to recover all the embossing powder or glitter is a coffee filter under the card. Tap excess onto that, and then it's very flexible to get the powder back in the jar. I dont know anyone who gets every speck back in. I have glitter on my floor as a matter of course. I see it like having wood shavings on the floor of a furniture making factory.

You might want to look at these guys: - Sparkle N Sprinkle

They are huge for powders and glitter...tons of tutorials. Dont blame me though when you go broke from wanting all the colors LOL

The only concern I have in your case is if it migrates towards your head/pillow and ends up in your eye b/c you are working in your sleep space. Lord knows I usually have some on my face because I have a habit of rubbing my face without thinking. I do have fake tears around all the time b/c I have dry eye so I can use that as a rinse in a pinch. I would prefer sterile water but they have made it a prescription thing now since apparently you can use it to make drugs. (sigh) Maybe it is easier for you to get sterile water. So you might want to keep a hand mirror around just to check yourself or ask DH to once in awhile. Glitter just seems to want to stick to stuff other than your card LOL

My personal attitude about embossing powder is I only want extra fine around. I can use that for anything-regular pics or detailed. Keeps down the inventory. Pigment inks can vary between companies in how rich they are so that might also affect the using clear idea. Over time you will see that companies have many shades of blue or whatever between them. Esp companies that like to coordinate with their own paper.

You are right. The gushy type of mouse pad is very much like a stamping pad. My teachers taught me a magazine, newspaper, 10 pieces of copy paper all work too. Just something so you have a little "give". So that is a great solution. Run with it. The only thing is that some of the proper pads can also be heat resistent for the hot gun and I dont think your mouse pad is.

This is a tool I think could be very good for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi83z39k_gQ

Called a "Pick Me Up", this is a vid on it.

It's very good for moving around bits to be glued on like rhinestones,sequins, etc and other things. If you experience spasms, it might be good as it will hold the item if that happens till the spasm passes.

When you do post pics...come back to this thread and let us know. It will auto notify us to come read and we will know to go look in the gallery.

Or keep asking questions. Feel free.
Reply With Quote Likes