Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #201  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ladies are all so kind and supporting! The only thing I can see is finding the right color thread 'out there' to match up with the 'hot' colors. I might have to do some searching.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:59 AM   #202  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
Here's a Chunky Book page that I made and embellished with a crocheted flower:
Savenger's Hunt Chunky Book Pages---Rose' Side A by parknslide at Splitcoaststampers

Hey that is pretty cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #203  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
I've made several from this link on Patter Cross's thread (in the first Jan. 09 post): http://mycrochetstuff.blogspot.com/2...e-crochet.html
I omit using the 2 colors since I normally add a button or brad to the center and then I omit the leaves. I hadn't crocheted for many years and was able to figure it out pretty quickly. I have several items in my gallery which include either flowers made by my mother or myself using the above pattern. Check out WT207 - Frugal Wishes by cullenwr at Splitcoaststampers and WT208 - Crocheted ATC by cullenwr at Splitcoaststampers and LSC212 - Fresh Cut Celery by cullenwr at Splitcoaststampers.

I liked all of these! NIce job!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #204  
Pearl-ExPert

i had lost track of this thread but was going through it again and just wanted to say that i am LOVING all the crochet flowers. i have been crocheting for decades and LOVE getting back to it and incorporating it into my card making obsession! i have a few things in my gallery too - but i don't crochet just flowers - i have been doing a few other items too - working on an easter basket this morning actually. i'd love to hear what y'all think...

Flowers

froggy

Flowers on an altered frame with a digi LO in it - all vintage

Flower

another flower

crocheted border

crocheted bunny - scroll down it's the second card

ok can you tell i love to crochet and am having way too much fun with these. i am preparing a write up for my blog - i couldn't post it yet as it was my entry for craft critique but since i didn't get chosen i can use it on my own blog now

hope thats not too many pics for y'all sorry if i overloaded.....
hugs
M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #205  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
You ladies are all so kind and supporting! The only thing I can see is finding the right color thread 'out there' to match up with the 'hot' colors. I might have to do some searching.

i wonder if you could just use white and then dye them with re inkers... like some are doing with the white SU! ribbon.

just a thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #206  
Pearl-ExPert

after struggling to find colors myself i had this SAME thought but have not tried it yet. i have a plain white easter basket....perhaps it needs to get more easter-y......lolol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #207  
Glitter Queen

Ladies, I have a friend who dies wool with Kool-Aid. I think the directions are on her website--Annie'sKeepsakes.com --and there's always food coloring. Just dip them in with the eggs! You can "set" the colors with white vinegar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #208  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Hi All.....I wanted to show off my flowers that I have been working on for awhile. Let me know if you want the directions to the double layer flower, I will be happy to send to you (PM me with your e-mail address).

Happy Crafting!!
Oh, Cindy, I love them!! I would definitely buy them, too!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #209  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I've been crocheting them with the "craft thread" you can buy in bags at Michael's and Jo-Ann's. Embroidery floss works, too - and there are threads somewhere here on SCS matching DMC colors to SU!

It's not something you'd want to use to crochet a sweater or anything, but you can get multiple flowers out of a single skein and there are a LOT more color options than you can find in crochet thread. Easier than dying white, also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #210  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow you gals! Great ideas....dying white with re-inkers and using embroidery floss have come to my mind too. I definately think that one or two designs, possibily a butterfly, would be all I could handle.

I have been visiting and sitting with son in the hospital for a week....he is okay, he had pneumonia.....thinking about what I can do to bring in extra money. DH lost his job 3 weeks ago (he is waiting to get started on new job) and I have not been working since last April (advocating and caring for son, caring for ill Dad)....so, money has been tight! Keeping my mind off of troubles by crocheting and cardmaking.

Thanks for the nice comments ladies....have a great day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #211  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Hi All.....I wanted to show off my flowers that I have been working on for awhile. Let me know if you want the directions to the double layer flower, I will be happy to send to you (PM me with your e-mail address).

Happy Crafting!!
WoWzA, these are fantabulous! Would love to try my hand at these l'il beauties! So kind of you to share your pattern!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #212  
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much for posting this pattern!!! Your flowers are beautiful, I hope mine turn out as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping_KMLView Post
Ok - I made another set of flowers like SU's and wrote out the instructions. Let me know if you have any questions or if I need to make a change to the instructions. Thanks!

Here's another picture: Fleurettes

Flower #1: size 3 hook

Round 1) With white - use magic ring method (http://www.crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html), 15 sc in ring, join with sl st to first sc.

Round 2) Ch 2, sk 2 sc, sl st in next sc, repeat around. Join with sl st to base of first sl st. Finish off. (5 ch 2 sps)

Round 3) With pink � in any ch 2 sp, join with sl st, ch 1. (sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc) in each ch 2 sp around. Join with sl st to first sc.

Round 4) Ch 2 (counts as hdc), dc in next st, (2 tr in next st) repeat 2 more times, dc in next st, hdc in next st, * hdc in next st, dc in next st, (2 tr in next st) repeat 2 more times, dc in next st, hdc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to top of ch 2. Finish off. Weave in all ends.

Flower #2: size 6 hook

Round 1) With white � use magic ring method, 12 sc in ring, sl st in front loop of first sc. Finish off.

Round 2) With pink and working this round in front loops only � join with sl st in first sc. * Sl st in next sc, and in same st: (ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, sl st), sl st in next sc, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to first sl st. Finish off.

Round 3) With burgundy and working this round in back loops only � join with sl st in any sc in the middle of a petal from previous round (so your petals line up), in same st (ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3, sl st), * sl st in next sc, sl st in next sc and in same st (ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3, sl st), repeat from * around. Join with sl st to beginning sl st. Finish off. Weave in all ends.

Flower #3: size 7 hook

Round 1) With rose � use magic ring method, 15 sc in ring, join with sl st to first sc.

Round 2) (Ch 2, sk 2 sc, sl st in next sc) repeat around. Join with sl st to base of first ch 2. Finish off.

Round 3) With white, sl st in any ch 2 sp, ch 2, 5 tr, ch 2, sl st in same sp. * Sl st in next ch 2 sp, ch 2, 5 tr, ch 2, sl st in same sp, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to first sl st. Finish off. Weave in all ends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #213  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping_KMLView Post
Ok - I made another set of flowers like SU's and wrote out the instructions. Let me know if you have any questions or if I need to make a change to the instructions. Thanks!

Here's another picture: Fleurettes

Flower #1: size 3 hook

Round 1) With white - use magic ring method (http://www.crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html), 15 sc in ring, join with sl st to first sc.

Round 2) Ch 2, sk 2 sc, sl st in next sc, repeat around. Join with sl st to base of first sl st. Finish off. (5 ch 2 sps)

Round 3) With pink � in any ch 2 sp, join with sl st, ch 1. (sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc) in each ch 2 sp around. Join with sl st to first sc.

Round 4) Ch 2 (counts as hdc), dc in next st, (2 tr in next st) repeat 2 more times, dc in next st, hdc in next st, * hdc in next st, dc in next st, (2 tr in next st) repeat 2 more times, dc in next st, hdc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to top of ch 2. Finish off. Weave in all ends.

Flower #2: size 6 hook

Round 1) With white � use magic ring method, 12 sc in ring, sl st in front loop of first sc. Finish off.

Round 2) With pink and working this round in front loops only � join with sl st in first sc. * Sl st in next sc, and in same st: (ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, sl st), sl st in next sc, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to first sl st. Finish off.

Round 3) With burgundy and working this round in back loops only � join with sl st in any sc in the middle of a petal from previous round (so your petals line up), in same st (ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3, sl st), * sl st in next sc, sl st in next sc and in same st (ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3, sl st), repeat from * around. Join with sl st to beginning sl st. Finish off. Weave in all ends.

Flower #3: size 7 hook

Round 1) With rose � use magic ring method, 15 sc in ring, join with sl st to first sc.

Round 2) (Ch 2, sk 2 sc, sl st in next sc) repeat around. Join with sl st to base of first ch 2. Finish off.

Round 3) With white, sl st in any ch 2 sp, ch 2, 5 tr, ch 2, sl st in same sp. * Sl st in next ch 2 sp, ch 2, 5 tr, ch 2, sl st in same sp, repeat from * around. Join with sl st to first sl st. Finish off. Weave in all ends.
I have been sharing your directions with others who have requested them....I could not remember your name off hand but I did say that you took the time to write them down. Give credit where credit is due.....grandma used to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #214  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp & QuiltView Post
Ladies, I have a friend who dies wool with Kool-Aid. I think the directions are on her website--Annie'sKeepsakes.com --and there's always food coloring. Just dip them in with the eggs! You can "set" the colors with white vinegar.
I've seen this too on a search on the internet under Kool aid!

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #215  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thank You!

I have to do this, I made members of my family hats with these flowers on in the distant past, never thought of using them on my cards! Now off to dig out the hooks, My Mum stored hers in empty cigar tubes; especially the fine ones to protect the tips, but it also makes them easier to find in the sewing drawer! LOL

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #216  
Insane Embellisher

Hi gals - the Kool-aid dyeing thing makes me wonder about mice and buggies being attracted to your lovely creations!! It would be a shame to have them nibbled on and downright ruined when using our refills would work just as well and not smell so yummy to the "varmits"!!
Just my .02!!!

My Blog - ameliarose-artfulpassions
My SU! website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #217  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampamieView Post
Hi gals - the Kool-aid dyeing thing makes me wonder about mice and buggies being attracted to your lovely creations!! It would be a shame to have them nibbled on and downright ruined when using our refills would work just as well and not smell so yummy to the "varmits"!!
Just my .02!!!
As long as you use the unsweetened packets (not sugar-free, the completely unsweetened stuff that you add your own sugar to), you shouldn't need to worry about varmints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #218  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have been sharing your directions with others who have requested them....I could not remember your name off hand but I did say that you took the time to write them down. Give credit where credit is due.....grandma used to say.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #219  
Rubber Obsessor

OK, Ladies.....I am drooling over your pretty creations!! I am SO not talented when it comes to crochet, but I am SO loving these flowers! Especially the doilie type thread one's! Would anybody be interested in making me up 20 or so & I will trade you some Prima & other type flowers? LMK....I have tons of new papercrafting supplies if you have a wish list.....

Anybody??

LMK, Julie

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #220  
Inking Addict

Hi Julie,
I will happily make you some , i would love to trade for some flowers. I will pm you . Denise x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #221  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
As long as you use the unsweetened packets (not sugar-free, the completely unsweetened stuff that you add your own sugar to), you shouldn't need to worry about varmints.
I agree. My dd knits a lot, especially baby things. She and all her friends always use unsweetened Koolaid to dye the yarn. Never has a problem.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #222  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TortugaView Post
Here is an easy flower to make:

Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring.
Rnd 1:*Ch 4, holding last lp of each trc on hook, work 3 trc in ring, yo, draw through all 4 lps on hook----trc-cl made: (ch 5, work trc-cl in fifth ch from hook) 2 times: sl st into ch-5 ring--one flower petal. Rep from * 4 times more: fasten off.

They turn out really cute.
thanks! I'll try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #223  
Pearl-ExPert

JUlie I sent you a PM, if you are still interested in trading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #224  
Gabfest Goddess

Would one of you experienced crocheters be able to read this diagram and translate it?

http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_fl5002.html

I love this flower and it is exactly what I have been looking for, but the diagram may as well be greek to me. I have no clue what it means. I am very much a beginner and have only ever crocheted a few wash cloths. I keep wanting to try making my own flowers and haven't taken the plunge yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #225  
Glitter Queen

Niki-- I went to the site you listed, then went to mypicot.com 's home page. On the right, it says, "Tutorials," and under the picture, "Crochet Basic Stitches". Click on that, then on the left-hand side, click on "How to follow a diagram." I don't know where you are, but the British have different terms than we do in the USA. Two entries above "How to follow a diagram" is "Crochet Symbols & Terms". That's where they give the British and American equivalencies. BTW, that's not a beginner flower! LOL It's really pretty, though, and if I can help you further, PM me. --Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #226  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, Audrey!! Definitely not a beginner, but I wanted to save the pattern for later and maybe get my mom to make me some since she has been crocheting for a long time. I will print off the other stuff, too, and see if she can make sense of it. Thanks again! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #227  
Rubber Obsessor

I made my flowers in white crochet thread and then colored the centers with markers. We used to be able to buy little balls of colored thread (maybe twenty five yard of colored thread for tatting) so you would not have to have a huge stash to vary the flowers. But by using the markers to color the centers, you can match your flowers up with your cardstock, inks, ribbons, etc.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #228  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettye JohnsonView Post
I made my flowers in white crochet thread and then colored the centers with markers. We used to be able to buy little balls of colored thread (maybe twenty five yard of colored thread for tatting) so you would not have to have a huge stash to vary the flowers. But by using the markers to color the centers, you can match your flowers up with your cardstock, inks, ribbons, etc.
Ooo, great idea!
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #229  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettye JohnsonView Post
Oooh, now that's a fun idea! What kind of markers are you using, and will it remain permanent?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #230  
Kookie Creator

Talking

I found this link this morning and made 3 in about 10 minutes! They are adorable and so simple:

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot....-tutorial.html

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #231  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Oooh, now that's a fun idea! What kind of markers are you using, and will it remain permanent?
I've done it with crocheted flowers I've purchased and Copic markers...it worked beautifully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #232  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I found this link this morning and made 3 in about 10 minutes! They are adorable and so simple:

Enjoy!

Awesome video tut! This the far the easiest pattern I've come across. Now to make more...tee hee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #233  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Would one of you experienced crocheters be able to read this diagram and translate it?

http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_fl5002.html

I love this flower and it is exactly what I have been looking for, but the diagram may as well be greek to me. I have no clue what it means. I am very much a beginner and have only ever crocheted a few wash cloths. I keep wanting to try making my own flowers and haven't taken the plunge yet.
I tried making two of these this weekend but only with two layers. I haven't done any crocheting for years and had to brush up on the symbols and stitches through mypicot. I also had to figure out how to layer the bottom petals and finally found a tutorial which I have to find again because I forgot to put in my faves. I just used white yarn and will take a pic tomorrow and post. Be forewarned that this is a bulky flower and would rather be too large and heavy for a card (I think).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #234  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1r601View Post
Awesome video tut! This the far the easiest pattern I've come across. Now to make more...tee hee!
Thanks so much for sharing this. I crochet afghans but had forgotten how to do the flowers. This is a very easy pattern and quick to do!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #235  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Enjoy!
Oops, I thanked the wrong poster - Thanks for the link.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #236  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great instructions and I was able to finally make this flower after many frustrating attempts. Thanks for posting so we could all share this great site..... Thanks for the link.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #237  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!!!!! :D

Quote:

Enjoy!
Huge thanks for this. My crocheting skills are pretty basic and I haven't done it in ages, so was putting off trying to decipher patterns and remember stitches. The video shows how to start your first loop (which I always got someone to do for me 'cause I'm hopeless at it), and goes through to the last stitch. I could have done with a visual on tying off (my second weakest point), but I figured it out in the end. I now have my first flower and may even tackle the Irish Rose on the mypicot page after a few more of these. Fabulous!

Oh cool! I just saw my post come up and I'm a glitter queen now. Ho hum for most, but really cool for me as I don't really do any posting, blogging, etc. Obviously SCS is having a profound effect on me (in a good way, of course!)

Last edited by dogzruleca; 04-05-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Glitter Queen !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #238  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, I am so excited, ladies! I posted this photo last night on my blog, too. One of my blog readers directed me a couple days ago to that video that was posted and it really helped me relearn a few stitches. I made the green one from wash cloth yarn when I was practicing. Then, I made the pink one from crochet thread. I decided to tackle the Irish Rose, too, since it's one of my favorite crocheted flowers. Definitely need more practice, but I am excited since they are my first ones. It took me forever, though, because I have a hard time reading the patterns and figuring out what I am supposed to do. I will still need lots of practice. I think they will be a good camping activity this summer.

From one of you experienced crocheters, if I use a larger needle and the same crochet thread, that will result in a larger flower, correct? (Such a beginner question, huh?! lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Crocheting your own Fleurettes-img_5475.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #239  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Oh, I am so excited, ladies! I posted this photo last night on my blog, too. One of my blog readers directed me a couple days ago to that video that was posted and it really helped me relearn a few stitches. I made the green one from wash cloth yarn when I was practicing. Then, I made the pink one from crochet thread. I decided to tackle the Irish Rose, too, since it's one of my favorite crocheted flowers. Definitely need more practice, but I am excited since they are my first ones. It took me forever, though, because I have a hard time reading the patterns and figuring out what I am supposed to do. I will still need lots of practice. I think they will be a good camping activity this summer.

From one of you experienced crocheters, if I use a larger needle and the same crochet thread, that will result in a larger flower, correct? (Such a beginner question, huh?! lol)
Yes, although it will also be a looser stitching. I use size 10 thread and size 7 (US) hook.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #240  
Mad Swapper

Smile Large and Small Fleurettes

Here are some fleurettes I made from the mypicot.com tutorial (link from NikiE) and the 5 petal flower from Little Birdie Secrets (link from Shortwizard). It took me a while to get the larger flower since I had to relearn all of the different stitches and figure how to read the diagram, but got the hang of it *finally*. I also had a hard time figuring out how to layer the bottom petals for the larger flower and later found a site that shows you how to layer.

The smaller fleurettes are the easiest to make. Mandy from Little Birdie Secrets has a great tutorial and many other tuts to try at a later date. For all of the flowers, I just used that woolly yarn. I used a size 5 needle and am not sure what the weight or size of the yarn is since I have had this since college.

Now I am trying to make more flowers using size 10 thread and a size 9 metal hook. The thread is a cotton and thinner so it was hard to work with at first but finally got the hang of it. Will post at a later date since I just got my first one done today.
Attached Thumbnails
Crocheting your own Fleurettes-4.6.09-crochet-fleurettes.jpg   Crocheting your own Fleurettes-4.6.09-crochet-fleurette-large-mypicot.com.jpg   Crocheting your own Fleurettes-4.6.09-crochet-fleurette-5-petal-small-little-birdie-sercrets.com.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes