Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I hate to admit this I don't know how wine labels are made. I do read Saveur. I guess that's a bit of save for my food culture.

When I make my glue dots I take another sheet of my sticker paper and lay it over the top. I store the dots in my adhesive box. Right now I have eight rolls of foam dots and double sided tape on top of my glue dots. My dots look like new with no damage. My syringe of silicone glue keeps rolling on top of them too.
Most wine labels are printed paper that's glued onto the bottles (some are painted on, but that's a different removal problem). The wine label removers I use are like a heavy clear laminate (about 5" x 6") with a strong adhesive on one side. They come on a carrier that's slick on one side so you can pull it off, stick it to the label, rub it well with a spoon, carefully pull it off and hopefully get the wine label. Actually in most cases all you get is the top printed layer and leave a thin layer of label still stuck to the bottle. Then you have the remaining exposed sticky laminate piece around the outside of the label to adhere your label to the page of your record book. I always cut off any extra label remover sheet when I can, put it back on the carrier and use it whenever I need a strong piece of adhesive. Now that you have read through all this, you are probably no smarter than before due to my poor explanation. If I want the bottle and not the label, I fill the bottle with very hot water and just peel the whole label off. I do that when I want to use a label or part of a label for a card and then just glue it where I want it. Sorry about the wordy response.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Alenes TIOAO means it is temporary, do the glue dots really STICK good??
I have used it on the back of some unmounted stamps and does NOT stick permanently. Just curious. Sounds like a fantastic idea! What a great bunch of folks here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Good question. I would like to know that, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I used some glue dots once on Christmas cards, I THINK they were Fiskars. OH MY GOODNESS, once they were stuck onto the paper, FORGET EVER getting them off!!!!!!! The card was SUPPOSED to be able to come apart for a refrigerator magnet gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

lessons ive learned while craftmaking, some of them the hard way:
if you're doing bargello the strips of paper really need to be cut evenly because they will be placed alongside the other strips at random and need to fit next to each other exactly. dont try using design edge scissors or a broken paper cutter (three guess how I learned this one!)
i have learned a lot about art and techniques from reading blogs of grade school teachers
glitter glass is really made of glass and you can feel its sharpness but its not really as sharp or scary as the manufacturers want you to believe, to avoid a lawsuit probably. i would say any kid over ten can use it safely.
if youre using fluff, dont use liquid glue. use stick glue or another flat, even glue and then just rub the fluff in
if youre using powder chalks (like pebbles) go over the area with a versamark pad first so the chalk will stick to it
a clear glitter pen, like spica or wink of stella, can make a huge difference in easily brightening up plain lettering
if you take pictures of your projects, take a picture at every step. i made a base layer for a project and it came out gorgeous. i added the next layer and some embellishments and it was now not so gorgeous. unfortunately, i didnt take a pic of the first layer until it was nearly buried
pinterest projects are not always as easy or foolproof as they look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found when embossing with black ink sometimes it misses little spots... and what I do is use a black ballpoint pen and fill in the little miss and then dump embossing powder back on it and heat set it again. (I make trading cards and so am working on small but to me crucial areas)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
DeeAnn,
You're too funny! YES! CHOCOLATE COUNTS!!!!!!! (HOW could it not???) Freezer paper isn't the same! Freezer paper is heavier & one side has a nice "wax" coating & used to wrap things for storage in the freezer whereas, Parchment paper is thinner & you don't feel the wax on it, & it's used for baking. The parchment paper does have wax in it though, when I've used it in the oven under baked goods & pull it out with my paddle & leave it set, you can see the wax a little on the paddle.

Where is the thread for the glue dots? Here at SCS?

Another tip: DON'T pay for classes on Techniques! You can find them right here & in other places for FREE!!!!!!!!!! Keep the things you use the most close at hand on your desk & if you find you want to use something more, leave it out on your desk! Anything close at hand will get used!
Thank you for the explanation on freezer, wax and parchment paper. That helps a lot.

Here's the glue dot thread- Make Your Own Glue Dots by Alicesue at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Most wine labels are printed paper that's glued onto the bottles (some are painted on, but that's a different removal problem). The wine label removers I use are like a heavy clear laminate (about 5" x 6") with a strong adhesive on one side. They come on a carrier that's slick on one side so you can pull it off, stick it to the label, rub it well with a spoon, carefully pull it off and hopefully get the wine label. Actually in most cases all you get is the top printed layer and leave a thin layer of label still stuck to the bottle. Then you have the remaining exposed sticky laminate piece around the outside of the label to adhere your label to the page of your record book. I always cut off any extra label remover sheet when I can, put it back on the carrier and use it whenever I need a strong piece of adhesive. Now that you have read through all this, you are probably no smarter than before due to my poor explanation. If I want the bottle and not the label, I fill the bottle with very hot water and just peel the whole label off. I do that when I want to use a label or part of a label for a card and then just glue it where I want it. Sorry about the wordy response.
Your explanation was great. Thank you for the explanation.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
Since Alenes TIOAO means it is temporary, do the glue dots really STICK good??
I have used it on the back of some unmounted stamps and does NOT stick permanently. Just curious. Sounds like a fantastic idea! What a great bunch of folks here!
They will stick a house together.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU Lylacfey, for the link!

Another crafty idea: Save your loose powder containers (make-up)! You can use them to hold buttons & other crafty little embellishments! And they stack nicely too! Other make-up containers can be washed, decorated & repurposed too!

If your husband does ANY kind of crafting, check out where he buys his goodies! Sometimes, you can find unique things for embellishments & sometimes things are CHEAPER! Ex: My husband does leather crafting. Try CrazyCrow.com for beads, buttons, charms & linen thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Just came up with another source for a carrier for your home made glue dots. You can use the paper you remove from contact paper. I just covered a copy paper box (I use them for storage in the garage and mud room) and have a whole bunch of the stuff---I'm talking life-time supply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

SUPER IDEA jeanne3579!!!!!!!!!! You SOUND ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!! AND good thing you saved all that!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

SUPER IDEA jeanne3579!!!!!!!!!! You SOUND ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!! AND good thing you saved all that!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure I will save it all. Want any?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I think I'll be ok with what I find here! Thank you for offering though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

If your husband does ANY kind of crafting, check out where he buys his goodies! Sometimes, you can find unique things for embellishments & sometimes things are CHEAPER! Ex: My husband does leather crafting. Try CrazyCrow.com for beads, buttons, charms & linen thread!
My DH is a treasure trove. He's a big crafter. He quilts, crochets, leatherwork, glasswork, sewing, oil painting, builds models, watches, and he's a car guy. I swear I am always digging in his craft stash for treasures, lol.

We share our art studio. He's always digging in my crafting stash for new treasures too. For example the other day I was using a eye dropper and he's like "Oooh, where did you get those?" ROFL!

He needed a small hammer the other day. I told him I had a small hammer. I give it to him. That week all our guy friends were oohing and aahing over that hammer. A hammer?! It's not like my DH doesn't have thirty of them but I have a special hammer apparently. My DH even took it to work to show it off, lol.

I have three electronic die cutters. Even though I own all these cutters I fussy cut a lot. I got burned out on my cutters so I decided to pack them away. Oh no, that was just a big FAIL! My guy friends "Can you cut me this?" "Can you do this?" These die cutters are the most fascinating thing in the world. I even have a friend that owns a car vinyl business and he comes over to scope out my cutters. Jeez. You want to know how fascinating the cutters are to men? I had a Skyrim release weekend party over at my home. Were my friends playing the hottest game in history? Nope, they were playing with my cutters.

Men find our craft stash really interesting. I swear when I read stories of men complaining about their wives craft shopping I think to myself "Well, jealousy will get you nowhere." ROFL. Ladies next time your DH grumbles you can tell him that, ROFL! That is my ultimate crafting tip. !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

I love the idea of the burning tool and stamps. Thank you for the tip. I am going to try it. My DH is intimidated by stamping. He find it absolutely fascinating. He's my biggest stamp buyer.

My Dad was the one that taught me to stamp. He was a leatherworker. I would go down to his studio and play with all his stamping tools. I was always making little purses or little project that are now considered high dollar mixed media. My Dad bought my first stamps, cardstock and color pencils. My Dad was the one that scoured all the stores for new stamps. Every time I stamp I think of my Dad. What is really ironic my Daddy taught me to stamp when I was a little girl. Recently I just taught my Mom to stamp, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

lylacfey!
THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your mom was SO FOCUSED on raising you she didn't feel she had time to play! What a LOVELY MEMORY of your Father!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

My Mom was a big star in the crafting world back in her day. My Dad raised me so my Mom could concentrate on her career. I grew up around a large crafting stash for the taking, except my Mom's. Our basement was one big large art studio with several rooms made into studios for specific crafting like leatherwork and floral arrangement. My Mom is extremely competitive. She yanked a coloring book out of my hand one time and started coloring in it. She showed me how well her coloring was compared to mine. I think I was around eight. A friend of hers made a floral arrangement and gave it to my Mom. My Mom took the whole floral arrangement apart in front of her friend and put it back together again while she told her friend all the mistakes she made.

I don't mean to sound grumpy about it. That's the way it was growing up. She is extremely talented and her work still goes for a fortune. The older she has gotten she has realized how her competitiveness came back to bite her.

Last edited by lylacfey; 11-07-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

lylacfey!
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see how it would be that your dad would be the one showing you stamping! ONE parent is usually the one who seems to have the edge with their children! Your Father sounds like my husband! VERY PATIENT! Try as I may with our children, they don't want to do any kind of crafting! They have their buttons & gadgets in these days though! I keep telling our daughter, you'll INHERIT this stuff, so you may as well try them out! (Trying to get her hooked!) After all, she DOES like to color!
Reply With Quote Likes